Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

Coon Tiki 2008 - Greymouth is good!!! (But not during their Winter.)

On 2007-07-22 17:00, timidtiki wrote:
Coon Tiki 2008 - Greymouth is good!!! (But not during their Winter.)

For sure; Ill be there! (regardless of season - harden up.) :lol: :wink:

TTT

J

Paipo it'd be a 33% chance. I think I'd make that one also. Just think, Benzart and the two master stone carvers in one spot. No chance of missing that opportunity.

B

Paris is a good idea, I think:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 23, 2007 5:15 AM

I'll lay down the cash to hang with Benz, Paipo, Tama, and JohnnyP in NZ for sure. I wouldn't even hesitate. Set it up and I'm there.

-G

B

I took this to a Rock shop yesterday and they thought he stone was Jadeite from Western US so that's what I guess it is unless I find out different today.

R
Robin posted on Thu, Jul 26, 2007 7:49 AM

A very beautiful piece Ben....jadeite or jade....makes no difference to a Benzart. Thanks for the update.

On 2007-07-26 07:49, Robin wrote:
A very beautiful piece Ben....jadeite or jade....makes no difference to a Benzart. Thanks for the update.

+1 beautiful!

Amy

B

a beautiful piece you've done, doc. Congrats

Benjamin.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 26, 2007 2:30 PM

On 2007-07-26 04:50, Benzart wrote:
I took this to a Rock shop yesterday and they thought he stone was Jadeite from Western US so that's what I guess it is unless I find out different today.

Well, that was my suspicion, and now you've posted the close-ups I'd be more inclined to agree (especially with a concurring opinion! :lol: ). California is one of the few places in the world where you can find nephrite and jadeite in relatively close proximity - lucky buggers! That on top of all their great tiki lounges...hmmmm...

Hey look folks, it's Benzart carvings in action! Thats right, its the wedding cake toppers...

Sadly, I discovered too late that butter cream frosting and July do not mix. So the top of the cake was a mess and they sank down into the frosting... but they were still awesome, and every one who saw them was inspired and awe struck.

my Wife and I want to give a HUMONGOUS thanks to Benzart for carving them for us. We can feel the mana radiating off of them.
And as soon as I finish the shadow box they're going to live in on the wall behind my bar I'll post more pictures of them.

On 2007-07-26 04:50, Benzart wrote:

Looks quite similar to this piece of Guatamalan jadeite I have (the only piece Ive ever had so this is as far as my comparitive knowledge can go):

There is a little translucency in this piece:

My main concern is the grain 'size' in this particular piece of stone. Almost granite-like and a bit larger than in your Moai. Your carving does give me some hope for it though, cheers. Im thinking a Meso-American Tiki for this stuff. some day.

--

Hope Coon-Tiki is going well! (went well?). Great to see the cake toppers 'in situ', having their wedding boogie too. Congrats!

Tama :)

wow, Ben! awesome stuff. the coon sounds fun, wish i could wisk off for it. your stuff is inspiring as always, thanks a lot!

B

HappyHappyHappy to be HOME Sweet Home on the range------?!..
Long drive to get home at 10:30 last night. Coon Tiki II was Really Great. We all had a great time and the Chips were flying everywhere. We were away for 9 days and had a Fabulous time.
Heres a quick Picture:

To Catch up:

Robin, thanks for the kind words and the Palm was waiting for me when I got home,,,AWESOME! Thanks So Much.

Amy, thanks to you too, you Always say such Nice things with just a few words. :)

Benella, You also always make me smile with your positive words and support, Thanks.

Paipo, Thanks! Yes it just seems a wee bit Unfair that those California Peeps have SO Much of all the good stuff. Tiki, Tiki Bars and Lounges, Jade, Jadeite , Movie stars Tiki Carvers and the list goes On and On. I guess the best thing to do is... MOVE to So cal1! Yep lets do it..

Tama, that Does look very similar except that yours is prettier than mine.You Always have the Great looking stone. Let me know how it carves and Definitely post pic's of it when you are done. Aren't you done yet?
Chill out a bit before the show and then make it a Great Show. I wish you well with it, I just wish I could be there!

greentikipat, thanks. The Coon was Great and I was Very Pleased with how much everyone got done with their projects. Maybe next year. Thanks again.

Last but not Least :D :lol: :D :D

Zombiepops, Thanks for posting the pictures of the wedding cake, the dancers look Happy dancing in Sweet butter cream frosting and I'm sure they didn't mind one bit.
Thay look SO Great on that cake. They were made with Lots of love and I believe they were very happy for you, I know I am. I'm happy they were so well liked. Thanks again for the pictures. HappyHappyHappy!

R
Robin posted on Tue, Jul 31, 2007 8:55 AM

Welcome Home Ben. Glad you're back and that you had a good time. Nice picture of the group looks like you all had fun, and nice work too! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the palm.

even with melted frosting, that is definitely the coolest wedding cake i've ever seen. i love the pics of all the moai lined up in the events forum. looks like everybody had a fun and productive time. when ya coming back to the left coast, ben?

Good to hear Coon Tiki was a success; cant wait to see more piccies!

B

Super pix.

I can see very nice moais on the lower right corner: coooool.

Who won your Moko/moai ? :wink:

Benjamin.

man, looks like it was a great time! the carvings in front all look great as well.
maybe next year ill be able to take a trip down there.

B

Thanks everyone for the great comments and support. Yes Coon Tiki II was Lots of fun and Everyone really worked hard. Everyone had sore hands and muscles they didn't know existed. Only one person used any/all the band aids, Big Jim from the Tampa area, and HE was the Winner of the Moko/Moai. I guess he was still shaking when he started carving.
See the Coon Tiki Pic's Here
Here are more pic's and some of the surrounding area and local carvers. we also visited some local caves/caverns I'll get the spelling later.
The Hog rider is for GMAN'
Stones for Tama and Paipo

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-08-01 18:05 ]

Man that looked like fun! Hopefully next year.

B

Thanks Tikifreak, it Was fun.
Here is what I've been working on the past few days. It is a river rock from the river at Townsend, Tenn. One of several I was able to scrounge up. He will be #S-5

Wow! He is very cool! The rough, earthy texture - excellent. You knocked him out quickly??

B

Thanks Aloha, Yeah he came out pretty quick, 2 days. The top of his head, back of his head and chin are all rough original surface. I was able to leave it rough so I gave him a fairly rough appearance to match. I don't know what kind of stone it is but it is very inconsistent in its make-up with hard and soft areas making it difficult to carve. The finish is a buffed on wax which shows off its many colors. I haven't decided weather or not to keep it or put it up for sale.

awesome ben! raquel welch should be wearing it cuz it looks like it's from 1,000,000 b.c.

That's amazing! I might be crazy, but it almost looks like wood.

H
harro posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 6:24 PM

hi Ben!
long time no speak but trust me I have been getting my fix of tiki in whenever I possibly can... took me a while to catch up on all your great work recently and blow me down if each piece wasnt the best thing i had ever seen (until the next one!).
One day I dream of making it to something like Coon-tiki, i'm envious of everyone that was there. Will try to keep in contact more regularly now!
cheers,
harro.

R
Robin posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 8:08 PM

Wow Ben...he's wonderful. Really nice rock...looks like an artifact. I'm still loving (and envious) of those lines.

B

Thanks Bullet, Yes on R.W. wearing it, THAT I'd Love to see. Yes!!Thanks As I was finishing it and it started to Look Ancient, I'm saying Yes,,Yes, Don't change now Oh Oh OOOH and it kept looking better and better and I'm Really Happy with how it turned out. It was totally unexpected.

Thanks Tiki Freak, yes I guess with the colors it does look like wood, but I Know it is stone..

Harro, Yes it's been a Long time, Welcome back come on in and Stay awhile this time!!
Yes, Try to make the next Coon Tiki, we will have More fun with yuo there too. Thanks for all the kind words,

Robin, Thanks, Glad you likee, Those lines are nerve wracking and very difficult. I an just formulating the best most precise way to get them perfect and the stone work seems to be easier for it than the jade does. I just about have the best method and tools and need to work on Control and marking the lines more precisely. I'm just about to the point where I can make a full Maori chief in jade and have it look half right. Thanks so much for your support,
HappyHappyHappy
JoyJoyJoy

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 8:45 PM

Ben,

You could always just mail it to me - that way you wouldn't need to choose between keeping it or selling it! Just a thought.....sweet lines by the way....

-G

Wow! Fast work on that rock, Ben. You just got home.

B

Thanks guys, I think I'll offer it over in the Marketing pages. It was a fun 2 day piece to do. Sorry it took such a short time, I promise to make the next one a bit slower. :lol: :D

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-08-03 07:18 ]

B

Here are the final pic's with cord and toggle.

Thanks to TravellingJones for purchasing this one, Hope you enjoy him!

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-08-03 19:15 ]

he looks fantastic, Ben! really nice work. i've got a good river stone waiting, but i'm scared to start it! keep the inspiration coming!!

On 2007-08-03 19:08, Benzart wrote:

Thanks to TravelingJones for purchasing this one, Hope you enjoy him!

Oh yeah, no worries BenZ... I'll covet this one, a real gem amoungst stones! :D

That's the true beauty of your workz...never knowing what design, in what material, to what scale, will strike your fancy next? A true inspiration in craftsmanship, so Keep On Choppin'!!!

another nice piece Benz.....

The stone color and texture looks ancient. I love the uniqueness of it!

Amy

Hey Ben!
Wow! the Moai looks like it was stolen straight outta the Museum!
Great job capturing that ancientness! Jonesy is one lucky fellow!

Me Next! Me Next!

Seriously! :)

R
Robin posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 8:01 AM

Have you started that full Maori Chief yet? THAT is going to be spectacular!

B

Thanks Pat, Don't be scared as the rock is much softer than the jade and easier to work. Just Dig In!

Jonesey, thanks for the great comps and you should be getting him real soon since he went out Saturday. :) :) :)

Thanks Amy, this guy had an ancient Feel to him from the start. I Think the Ancients had a big hand in this because no matter how I tried it kept coming out rough and old looking. Thanks.

LLT, Thanks but keep that quiet, don't want the Museums checking their inventory now do we? Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Tiki Lee's, Appreciate that. I have one rock request before you, then you're up.

Robin, thanks, Full Maori Chief? Jog my memory as I must have forgotten something.
:) :) :)

Here is what I have been working on the last 2 days. I'll have better pictures when I get the cord done. The toggle is a dowel shaped thing followed out half way down the length with a hole drilled perpendicular in the center. I'll get better shots with the cord.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 8:31 PM

Benzo,

That's a purdy piece of stone there. The small flecks really look neat in there. Oh, and the carving isn't bad either! What do you plan to do with the hollow toggle? That seems like a lotta work just to be hollow? Did you just want it to be lighter?

-G

H

Ben,I love your last pieces, they look great.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 11:30 PM

Ben, stop it - you're making it look too easy to do what some of us have spent years mastering! Please don't tell me you've hung up your chisels and hook knife? It's all my fault for sending you your first couple of hits of the green stuff! I think the cocktail effect of Rapa Nui / Maori and jade has proven too strong - perhaps intervention is called for. I'm gonna have to fly out to Florida, take these pieces from you and make you carve 6-foot Lonos and tekotekos for the rest of the year!

(PS: G, I think the idea is to conceal the knot inside the toggle...you feed your string into the hole in the middle and out the end. Once you tie it off and trim it back, you pull the cord and the unsightly knot disappears into its new home! Toggles of this type were often used on old Maori pieces (hei tiki, rei puta) and were usually made from pieces of albatross bone)

Yeah, what Paipo said; some of us actually struggle along with jade carving, and you're making us look bad.. :lol: :wink:

-Actually I think its great that you have refined Moai-mask to accommodate the tools/processes of stone carving and there's no denying you 'own' this design. So good to see something different in jade too; its amazing how uncreative many jade carvers are. You are definately making it look too easy though; hows about I send you some really knarly uncooperative stone to tackle? (purchased plenty of it in the early days) :lol:

B

Thanks Gman, Paipo got it right, it's to hide the ugly knot. I "Re-invented thes method while thinking one day how to do just that, Hide the Knot. Then timid tiki explained the very same toggle to me saying it was used by those Ancient Maoris, Man those guys thought of Everything, Of course they used bones that were Already hollow.

Thanks Hiltiki I appreciate the kind words.

Paipo. Yes, I have someone who will buy ALL my stinkin woodworking tools for a few bucks so I can carve nuthin but Pounamu and greywacke, got any spare rocks laying around? NOT. I'm too much stuck on wood to quit now and I guess it is just my lot in life to be under the spell of the Three Masters, Greenstone, grey stone and that nasty old wood and they all three are always trying to pull me away from the rest.
Thanks for the kind words, I Know I can always find the Right way to do things in yours and Tamas threads. Thanks for the leg up on the stone carving scene and those two Other wickid Masters.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 3:57 AM

Ben,

If you are selling all your wood tools, I'll give you 50 bucks for your new band saw and another hundred for your gouges. I'll even kick in another ten-spot for that fishtail. Trust me, that's a good deal.

-G

T

Hi Ben - Your latest piece look great, or is it really your latest. You seem to finish 5-6 new pieces in the time it takes me to just think about starting something new.

And I really like your new toggle. It looks like a twin to the one that I have and tried to describe to you . . . except that mine is made of Marsden flower jade. I think the simplest way to make these would be to chuck up a jade rod in a lathe, round it off, then cut off pieces as needed and drill the appropriate holes. Is this how you did it? I think this toggle design will eliminate the complaint my women have had about the old toggle type being hard to thread through the loop in the cord (the knot catches on the loop).

Keep up the great work!

B

Tama, Thanks, I guess you posted your note the same time I did mine 'cause I didn't see it until today.
Yeah right, Like I'm gonna make YOU guys look bad. The only one here that will end up looking bad is me, HA!
Send that gnarly stuff on over I'm sure I can do something with it or it can do something with me. It can't be Too bad, but you gotta send some Sweet stuff too :)
Thanks Tama.

GMAN, Thanks. Sure, c'mon over and get this stuff outta my face, but you'll have to take all the wood too and I might have to spend some time showing you how to use some of the tools, so pack a suitcase and bring your sleeping bag and pillows.
On second thought, the Ancients aren't finished with me yet,I Just felt them Shudder, unhappily. Sorry deals off, maybe next week. :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies