Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

Lotsa cool and spooky stuff being posted again, yahoo, summer solstice brings
out the best in everyone:-)

B

Thanks Surfintiki,, EYELASHES, I hadn't Thought of That, hmmmmnn

GMAn, Thanks big time, Yes I found It, Cow Bone at Pet Smart for 1.99, Beautiful Working Stuff. Plain old Cow Bone , Pure white and ready to go lift some bars hey

Thanks Tiki Duddy, Crazy detail? I Sure hope so I need to be crazy with some of this stuff so it will keep getting better.Thanks Conga, Sweet words from an Old Geezer like you, you can blame th summer solstice but I'll take crazy and ancients any day.

I even did some more work on him today, check it out.

'

Too Cool, Benz!

B

Thanks TDuddy, Appreciate that.
Here is todays update. Now he's ready for the part whare I'm gonna screw it up maybe, We'll see

S

Cow Bone! This guy is outstanding love it.
The white is so milky and with the light another look
cool!

Benzer! Check your P.M.'s
And where are the eyelashes?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 4:25 PM

F^%$ing A!!!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 4:32 PM

Wow. What can't you carve..and how are you gonna get the little light inside it? Maybe you can put that video I sent you to some use on the next stage.

I hope you're planning more BoneZarts after this one?

Aww, I wanna see, I wanna see.. (is anyone else finding themselves locked out of viewing pics? even a right-click/view picture aint working)

I wanna see.. :cry:

Now Ben - This is a must do: Make a mold and cast these in translucent plastic of some sort. Then attach to a small light and you will have the best ever NIGHT-LIGHT. They should sell like pancakes . . . oops, I mean, like night-lights! I'l take several myself.

Holy crap that's cool.

Jen

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 5:00 PM

Man, you should see these pics Tama. This is one of Benz's best pieces ever....

On 2008-06-23 17:00, GMAN wrote:
Man, you should see these pics Tama. This is one of Benz's best pieces ever....

*If you hadnt been so kind as to email me those pics, Id be pissed at you right now G$! :lol:

BenZ, this guy is alive I tells ya.. :o

B

amazing my friend!!!!!

but i can see it all now
every cow bone in the us is bought up
by tiki cavers sending cowbone futures sky high!
alowing benzart to retire to fla and just carv cool tikis

wait! you already do that

nevermind

On 2008-06-23 18:07, Tamapoutini wrote:

*If you hadnt been so kind as to email me those pics, Id be pissed at you right now G$! :lol:

ps: Although now that I do have piccies back, I see that I was being deprived of 80% of them.. Awesome piece Ben!

BENZ,
I like the Maori tattoos as an incised decoration SOOOOOO much better than the wood burner moko. Just my two cents. Love the Maoris!

B

Surfin, Thanks for the kind words, You can almost see the euyelashes, BECAUSEthere Are some, at least minimalbut the indication is there. Thanks man.

GMAN, Yes I found some cow bone and YES it IS beautiful carving stuff and you can get Amazing detail into it, and it finishes well so bar lifter? Quite possibly, So Thanks GMAN for turning me on to this $1.99 wonder. I opted for the shorter piece because the longer pieces they had were too thin walled and not as good for carving. It could have been the batch that was left to choose from, I don't know. I just know It works like putty in my hands, so THANKS GMAN...

Tiki Duddy, Thanks for the compliments. I hope you find a job real quick so you can buy this one it would be great Thanks

Conga tiki come on down outta the cold rain and bring more of that bass wood with you too, enough to last a year anyway.
You mean the Summer Soltice brings out the Beast in everyone.

SeekSurf, Plain old Cow bone with a bit of carving experience and irreverent spirit to go with it :lol:, Lashes are there, Pm's checked yes you can stain mahogany it takes stain beautifully and finishes well too.

GMAN. A*(&(**$#F!!Thats how it is, Thanks.

Paipo, WHo said I was putting a Little light inside it although that sounds like a great idea but for a nite lite I would think it would have to be bigger. That was an Incredible Video and I think you should share it with all these jack leg carvers on TC too, they might benefit from it. There will Definitely be more BoneZarts. Moreo f dem are Coming round de bend :) :):P

Tama, Tama, We can get you some pictures, don't worry. I Know how you feel.

Timid, I know what you mean I just can't take the time to get into Molds, casts and electric lights. Now if I can find someone who will do that for me then you'll have yer nite lites! Thanks Timid!

Skiny Dog, Thanks, Nice to see you round here again. It's Not often we get you over on this side. Probably 'bout as often as I get 'round to the Other side where you live. I Promise I will get there more often. Thanks for the Comps.

GMAN would you stop spreading Lies, Now peeps are gonna expect a lot more???
Tama I'm not sure what GMAN Sent you, it may have been from NatGeo for ALL I Know but I'm glad he got you piccies of sumpthin. ALIVE?? should I RUN?? Get my GUN?

Buzzard, Thanks for the Funny, I Love the sound of that evenAt a buck99 I think they have a Lonmg way to go to get the cowbone sky hi. But Thanks.

Tama Again I'm glad you got the full TC Back The pic's you can't get are ALWAYS the ones you want the most Just ask anytime you want pic's. Thanks for the comps.

Next comes the Moko, the Favorite part but the most feared part especially on this one. I have a 3 hour stress test tomorrow morning so most likley won't get much done with this guy until Wednesday.

B

Sneaky, I agree with you 299 % there will be no burner in this moko.
Thanks, I appreciate you pointing that out!

Ah , sad as I am , to see the disappearance of Dangerous Dave :(
his replacement is superb :)
Nice piece of beef bone too , off the shin is it ?
Excellent work there Ben .
cheers

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jun 24, 2008 9:55 AM

WOW! That newest piece is SO COOL!

DANG BEN!
THAT DREAMY CREAMY COWBONE FELLOW IS TOPS!
Loving the way he looks in the light!
A salute to you and the incredible detail you've packed on just the face alone!
WOWZ!

B

Hey Jock, Thanks for the kind words, Off the Shin? I Guess so if you recognize it as so, All I see is an Excellent piece of carving bone that nis nice and Tight giving me the ability to do More detail than I can muster up. :)Thanks.

Bete, Thanks

little Lucky Tiki Thanks for the kind words, but come back in a few days to eother see the bonfire or the finished piece.I diodn't do much today but go through every different bur until nI found the ONE that it looks like I'll have to use and I only have 1 size and No sharp ones so will wait for new ones in the mail.
Here is a preview of how it may look:

I'm running out of my over used adjectives, so I'm speechless. No, it's AWESOME!!! There it is!!!

Looking thweet Benth, although there theems to be 'thumb-thing' mithing in those last picth..? :wink:

Hidin the rest of him?!?! ohhh this is gonna be good!
that bone looks REAL nice; like milky glass or something.
Such great detail in the eyes and teeth too.
Cant wait for more!

B

Thanks T-freak No worries, just a Smile and a Hello will do, Thanks.

Tama, I don't underthand whath Mithing" I only showed the forehead because thats all I did to him. ??? Did you not get the pictherth, Let me know and I'll send you pix's

TDuddy, Thanks for the continued support on the=is guy.,this piece of bone is SWEET Working stuff. I won't be doing much more to him until I get more burs but I will keep you updated.
Thanks everyone. I Really like this piece and working him is walking a fine edge, on one side is total destruction and on the other is a very fine carving and it won't take much to make it the destruction route. There is Zero room for error on this. Cutting that little patch of moko took an hours hard and total concentration, something I'm not used to giving. Just wish me luck.

S

That sucker has tuned into a ivory gem.
Nice design on the forehead.

He's looking better and better Ben .

Yep , the shin bone of the cattle beast is favored by many bone carvers .
It tends to be the more solid one , and thicker too .
All limb bones grow to suit the work put to them , and the lower legs of cattle carry the full weight and have a fair amount of movement stress , both of which thicken and strengthen them .
Sometimes , due to bruised shins etc in the past , there can be dark streaks running along the bone , which can give a whalebone look to it .
Ribs , split down the middle are excellent for wafer thin work , where a small amount of flexibility will be of benefit , tho sometimes it can warp a bit .

This is a Clairín Búirthe , an Irish bullroarer , that has developed a slight twist , in the manner of a propeller , over the years .
I think it adds to the sound , so maybe the Old Ones knew a thing or two about flight eh :)

B

Seeks, Thanks for giving me the Big head, I appreciate your comps.

Jock,
Thanks for the props and the cattle-bone lessons as well

Here is a bit of an update from today though not much.

Stunning... as always!

Benz, it looks Terrific!

B

Stunning indeed.

Ben.

This is my favorite shot, to bad your thumb hairs got it the way!!! Looking bad to the bone!

B

Thanks Tiki Lee's, Happy to see you hangin' around more often too.

Tiki Duddy, Thanks for the kind words and Keep the Knives AWAY from your fingers if you wanna grow up to be a tiki carver. :) :P

Benny, Thanks, merci.

Tikifreak, Sorry but the thumb has to Stay, tho I could burn the hairs off pretty easy

Good god Ben! Looks Beautiful!

WHOA!
it just keeps getting
More and More
Awesome to behold!
The creamy colors
the polished softness
the life in the face
the delightful intricacy
of the moko....
You could of stopped a while ago
and it would have been simply a Masterwork...
But you push it
coax every bit of life and expression
that the bone will surrender.
Right on Ben!
wow....

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2008 9:18 AM

daaaaaaang!

On 2008-06-27 04:21, tikifreak1 wrote:
This is my favorite shot, to bad your thumb hairs got it the way!!! Looking bad to the bone!

Is that what happened , I thought he was having a snooze on a bear rug :D

J

I go away for a little over a week and you pop out another masterpiece, that will teach me to go on vacation without a connection again. Wow, what can be said? I'd think I'd just be babbling and drooling. Those back lit shots are otherworldly!

Yikes! That purple haze shot is cool, brings out some of the edges in the photo a little better.
Oh yeah, I guess the piece is ok. :lol:

H
harro posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2008 4:18 AM

hi Ben - you know that after I´ve been away for a while yours is the first thread I will read and I´m never disappointed. This little bone fella is CRAZY!! Absolutely amazing detail and such a lifelike face, and sooooo smoooooooove!!

Now I´m going to track back through and see the reverse progress...

Benz you always push it way beyond the edge. Where some of us mere mortals
might slack off...you just keep going. I always find something in your
thread that amazes me, this time it's the ears. Nutty stuff.

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 3:25 PM

That piece is absolutely stunning!

That's a friggin' masterpiece!

Jen

S

Looking fantastic Benz. Nice work.

B

TikiDuddy.You ROCK!And you seem to be Amways here with encouragement and kind words

LIL LUCKY TIKI You are totally INSANE and I Love 'Ya for That and for your overall comprehension if the whole art SEEN :lol:
I notice you doing the samer thing, taking a piece further then expected and then taking it even further around that unknown corner to magical endings to which only I knue if I took a wil;d guess
the outcome

GMAN. What can I say but thanks for the kind of Cart Blanche support only a friend can give thanks for pushing

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-07-02 02:04 ]

TD

:o!!!

He's got a nice set of Pearly-Whites~~ :D

T

looking excellent Ben ,
good to see that Dangerous Dan did not die in vain :lol:

Years ago I found that a soaking in denture cleaning stuff did wonders to the
final clean up of bone pieces

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies