Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 4:47 AM

Yo Benno! That is insane! I loves it! Now sell that bugger and get some Nu Shooz!

C

Quite amazing, ancient one. The box is really cool and the pendant, well,
it's pretty darn nice too. Hail King Benz!

What else can be said. This medium is ideal for your skills!! The amount of detail in this is Crazy.

T

Oh, the plain box wasn't good enough, huh? You had to go and fancy it up a bit! Well done. We all bow down to you Ben. :wink:

B

WOW, I guess I haven't been here for a few days. In the morning while I read the paper and have coffee with Sherry, I dial into the shout page waiting to say hello to anyone then usually quit after coffee without posting anything here. Too many pages have gone by, Sorry, SOME of it though is GMAN's fault! Thats right, GMAN suggested I sell the piece and get a new pair of shoes. Well I don't know what was wrong with the other 5 pairs I have but I just HAD to comply and get another shoe. THANKS GMAN :P

So I've been out of commission a few days but should be able to work in a few days but have to wear this thing 6 weeks.
Anyway back to you all;
Jen Tiki, Thanks :lol: You are so Funny :P Facemelt stuff indeed!

Buzzy? Long time, Thanks for the kind words, Fire wood? Sure, Come on Down and Get it! Well. I don't know how to make boxes and I Just got these great Cuban Cigar boxes, Maybe for the next one you'll get a box?? Oh Yeah, Cookies 'n Milk too! :D
Almost Forgot The BIG T Thanks man, Yeah I was goaded into it so It's noit my fault! :lol:

TikiTres, Thanks for the props, did you notice the box has the same design as the forehead of the inhabitant?

Hey Hodad, Of Course thats the reason. :lol: (I didn't know you were working on a box OR was I working on you?)Thanks
I've been reading up on Meerschaum, , Awesome stuff!

Cheeky Half, Thanks for the comps, Glad that you like it.

Seeks, Thanks for the kind words, Much Appreciated.

KS, Thanks for the big Kind words, but don't you Dare pack up your tools (Unless of course you're sending them to me :P )
before you give them a chance to do stuff like this for you too!

teaKEY THanks and it's OK to have a single doubt, it's Always possible I could screw a piece up and throw it in the box of 90 (it's growing) with the rest! Hahaha:)

Well Thanks Duddy thets Mighty kind of you! The color was plain old mahogany stain.

TAMA, .. Thanks, That means a lot from you, although I am familiar with the typing issue you speak of, it usually happens around your new photos!

Marcus, Welcome back (for awhile at least) I appreciate your props, thanks for finding the time to view my works.

Hewey, Thanks man, my morning paper shout-sharer.

Clarita, I Love when you stop by, you always have such Nice stuff to say, Thanks. Coool that you are into Led's too. It was a pretty Bright idea!

Johnny Thanks, If I remember was it You who first demanded I carve the box? Maybe not demanded but the next thing, But then my memory doesn't go back more than a page sometimes. Thanks.

Tahitiki, Thank you too for the props, Glad you like it.

T-Freak, Thanks, I don't remember how it all came about, the box, the light, I'll have to sit down and figure that all out so I can do it again.

Well GMANG? Thanks, Really Appreciate that, should have called Dr Rita instead of my guy Huh? :lol: :D :P

Conga, Thanks, you Really know how to make a guy feel Old, Or maybe it was the broken ankle, GMANS doing? Thanks Papa!

Aloha, Thank you, you should try some too, then you may make a change or two. Thanks for the kind words.

I almost left off
THE BIG T Thanks for the props, I was goaded into carving the box so it wasn't my fault:P :P THanks

Thanks again everyone for the love and Aloha Spirit and support, without that I would not have started back carving.
HappyHappyHappy

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-08-07 14:31 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 3:39 PM

On 2008-08-05 10:07, JenTiki wrote:
Where's that old facemelt animation when I need it?!? :o I swear that bone is alive! The detail and expression is simply amazing! You are the master, Ben!

right here!

Unbelievably spooky stuff Ben. What the hell happened to your leg?

S

Benz you have had allot of thing going on in the last year.
Whats going on are those spirits collecting in on you? :)

B

Paipo, You got that Facemelt magic stuff from Clarita didn't ya', Right after that accident in one of her led experiments, Hmm, I didn't know she filmed it and made a stop action thingie out of it,:o does She know you Err Uh M Borrowed it for a minuite? :o Didn't think so:P :P :lol: :D
My Ankle got broken last Friday when i lost balance and corrected Hard on my right foot, Ankle first. The Doc asked if I thought it was broke and I said I just knew it was bad but it got better over the weekend, The fact that it was swollen and purple, no biggie, it'll go away, then did it not hurt enough to call me? and I asked what he wanted to be called? and no it didn't hurt worse than any other time I hurt my ankle, when was that he asked? Well never like this really so I had nothing to judge it on so I wasn't worried. He is not a happy doctor when he gets mad. Ill have his shoe for only 6 weeks!

Seeks Yeah, I guess It's time to Pay the Piper, time to give the ancients new body stuff they been needing in trade for the stuff I let them do to my art stuff. HEY Wait! I'm givin' THEM stuff for stuff I'm Doing FOR them I think I didn 't5 read the contract too well and got hoodwinked , Daayyum umm hmm hmm

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 4:28 AM

That wasn't what I meant when I said nu shooz. Now what did you go and do that for? I thought you stopped training for the pole vault now that the olympic trials are over?

C

Hey! my face didn't explode!! it looks like that naturally :D !!

Next project...carve a kane...get it? Ha ha :lol:

B

Well Greetings Again, Seems like I have been able to do a bit of work here and there
GMAN Sorry I misunderstood you, could have saved a lot of grief If I had listened or if you had been more explicit anyway it is what it is and thats Broken as far as the ankle bone But it's OK, We Loves'ya anyway! :P

Clarita, Thanks for the rays of sunshine!

Yes Surfin, I Get it but since I already have 3 I won't be needing a 4th.

Heres the New little bugger done in African Boars tusk, again a nice carving piece of stuff.

Looks Great!
Lovin the chin and the mouth!
cant wait for more!

S
sar1 posted on Fri, Aug 15, 2008 9:38 PM

Nice work Ben, he's half Vulcan half Human right? :D Just kidding, I love the faces that you are doing and I'm looking forward to your future carvings.

H

What a great design concept. You are always an original.

Awesome Ben

Love it!!

KS

African Boars Tusk! What the...
Well, it's got an unusual brown swirls in it...unique. Well this guy looks human already. I think it's gonna open it's mouth and start talking..."where's my moko Ben, WHERE"S MY MOKO"

B

Tiki Duddy, Thanks. Glad you Likee

Thanks Sar1, OF Course He's Half Human I just don't know which Half! Thanks for the comps. :P

Thanks Hiltiki, I try to be a bit different most of the time And sometimes I look like the weird one which I guess I are!

KS, Thanks, I appreciate your kind words, as you Always seem to say the Mostest with the Fewest

:lol:

Surfin, Thanks, Don't go getting him started already.. Well it may be too later as he was already hollerin' at me Mokomokomokomoko then he stuck my thumb in front of the grinder! Beastid! He reminded me of his big bad boar heritage as if to threaten me, does he not realize that it is ME who is cutting HIM up? :D :D :P

Heres how he looks tonight. Not much different but a few hours worth.

B

Tiki Duddy, Thanks. Glad you Likee

Thanks Sar1, OF Course He's Half Human I just don't know which Half! Thanks for the comps. :P

Thanks Hiltiki, I try to be a bit different most of the time And sometimes I look like the weird one which I guess I are!

KS, Thanks, I appreciate your kind words, as you Always seem to say the Mostest with the Fewest

:lol:

Surfin, Thanks, Don't go getting him started already.. Well it may be too later as he was already hollerin' at me Mokomokomokomoko then he stuck my thumb in front of the grinder! Beastid! He reminded me of his big bad boar heritage as if to threaten me, does he not realize that it is ME who is cutting HIM up? :D :D :P

Heres how he looks tonight. Not much different but a few hours worth.

WOW!!!!!!
Another AMAZING piece of art from an incredable Artist!!! Ben, Your carvings are more amazing every time,Aloha your friend, jimmy

Ok - this looks great - I wanna know - are you taking your pics with the subject wet? or is it just that shiny? :)

cool stuff Benz

KS

B

Thanks Mooney, you're biased! :lol: ?

KS, not wet, just hit with a dry felt wheel, I'm not a fan of this much shine! Thanks

Benzart,

Once again, excellent work.

Is this a self bust?
I know that you are glancing into the mirror while creating these works of art.

Have a stellar dya,
Will

B

Dang BEN, your work is just damn fine lately!

California - Oasis - next year? We missed you!

yeah ben, please try to make it out to oasis next year. i was sporting your dead maori warrior pendant on sat and it was cool how many peopo said "wow, a benzart!" and wanted to examine and touch it. of course i did the same thing at da house of buzz.

H

SHA-ZAY-UM! Awesome piece--I love how you show them with the back lighting.

Hey Benz - hope you are faring ok in Hurricane Fay!!!

KS

B

Will, Thanks, yeah of course it IS a Self portrait and I even made myself look younger! :lol:

Babalu, Thanks for the props, Oasis Next year? Perhaps yes? :)

BULLET!! Great to see you here again, Thanks for sporting the B-Zart, wold have been nice to see those 2 pieces together, I'm surprised the Buzz let you hold it :lol: :P HAppyHappy

Howland, Thanks for that , yeah, the back lighting is just so alluring that I can't help myself. On this guy I even plan to hollow out the back more evenly this time so the whole thing will light up.

KS, Thanks, yes it looks like Faye will remain a wet tropical storm and just dump buckets of water over south, and central Florida with minimal winds. We're looking good here. Some of us on the west coast may be getting battwered a tiny bit though Thanks again.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 19, 2008 2:53 AM

Well, I didn't even notice you'd snuck another one these up on us...you need to put date on your thread title as well!
I don't know how you get so much depth and lifelike detail into such a shallow space, but it's a pleasure to watch it unfold. I hope for our sake you don't have to build a lightbox for every single one of these though...and I also hope that ankle is on the mend.

OK, just checked back - African boar's tusk - maybe from a warthog? Can we see an end-on pic of the piece?

B

Thanks Paipo, Sorry about the Non Date and heading I'll fix it soon.
My mistake, it IS Warthog, Don't know what nI was thinking, I Wasn't. It's what happens when you start to get old! :P
I'll post more photos in a little bit as I did a lot to him today.
No, I'm not going to build a light box for all these guys :lol:

B

OK, Heres some photos of the piece and other half of the tusk he came from and another whole Warthog tusk. At the base they are fairly thin but get almost solid part way up. I hollowed out the back quite a bit from the nose down to lighten it up And to make it translucent all the way down. If you look at the earlier pictures you can see the chin and mouth area don't light up as the rest.Also I have hidden the cord holes behind each ear again. I'll get more detail on that next time. CHEERS

YeeeeaaahhH! Go Benz, Go Go!!
the stuff is looking Awsome Ben! that tusk also looks like a fun challenge
looks like you got a lil bit of that tusk still...
that mean more BoneMoais for us to gock at??
:P
SuperCarves Benz!

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-08-19 18:49 ]

B

Thanks T-Duddy, Appreciate the props. Yeah, there will be more bonezarts to see in the future, but I gotta do some wood, stone and jade too! :P

B

Here's the last shots of the Warthog Moai/Moko

T

Hey, I see BenZart's hands

Showing that you are the master

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 3:24 PM

Very nice Ben. How did you like the tusk? Was the enamel a bit%^? He's a very strong looking piece. Great features I likee. :)

B

Thanks teaKEY, although methinks you need to clean yer glasses since there is only One hand there! I will shoot'em both and post'em over there. :P

Thanks GMAN, The tusk was different, the enamel layer all but gone except for on the nose and ears. It was Definitely harder than the rest but not too bad at all really, it disappeared into dust with the carbide burs. I was surprised how much softer the remainder was though, I expected more of a battle.

the Warthog fellow is AMAZING!
the symmetry,texture,expression,flow and POWER! are compacted and
squeezed together to create thisk Tuskariffic gem!
i didn't know ears could be expressive until seeing your latest!
the moko,in its thickness,looks almost Asian or Mayan...
Truly a piece that has transcended culture and has reached
Universal Status!
Your pieces speak..they're alive...
you're an inspiration,Ben
and these bone carvings are just the tip of the iceberg....

J

Every piece gets more impressive and more magical than the last.

That guy is tiny, looks great!! Have you gone too deep and went through the bone yet?? Is it hard to judge the thickness??

B

LLT. Your words of Praise will get you Everywhere, Thanks for the kindness and the great props about this piece, I'm sure he loves it, I know I do.. Where did you learn all those big words anyway, I had to google some of'em :P
Seriously, Thanks, you warm my heart.

Thanks Johnny, thats because,, well it's because, um I just try to get better with every practice piece i do and since All of them are for practice I get lots of it and Also there is the inspiration I get from all you guys, without which I would have quit long ago. Thanks again.

T-Freak Thanks and Yes he is Tinier than the last. I started with him quite a bit thicker and as I added detail I thinned out the "Shell so light would pass through brighter. To prevent "blow outs" I used a small bench light to see how bright the light came through. when it got too white I knew it was thin enough:

Here are some shots of my benches and shop- while I'm at it.

Here is a vice holding a chuck Hand piece I can use as a carving point

]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2008 8:02 PM

That fella was waaay smaller than I was expecting - now I'm doubly impressed! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of that ivory, it looks beautiful...

WOW Ben.

I wanna come and play in YOUR workshop lol. Wonderful. And what a great idea for the point carver!! (starts searching through the garage for suitable something to hold flexidrive in vise).

KS

B

Thanks Paipo, Glad you had a second Look. Yes his details did get a bit tiny but worked out OK. It's jut like on the edge all the time while carving this guy where one little mistake would trash the whole thing. I Lucked out there.

KS, Thanks, Come on Over, theres Plenny room, just bring lunch.
HERES a link for that holder I have. It's supposed to be for the # 30 handpiece but the 44T works too.

Your carving is reaching new heights of expertise. The warthog piece has such subtle expression and feeling, almost something life like about it. Beautiful work!

C

amazing!

Benzy! What's that doo-hickey holding the flexshaft in the vice? Cool!

B

Thanks Tiki Shark, I'm Glad you like him, I wore it today and I must say it is the most Comfortable pendant I have done to date very light and hangs nicely. I Always wear my pendants at least one day it's tradition :P

Clarita, Thanks for saying SO Much with so little words, HappyHappy!

Surfin,Thanks for the quizz, same link as above but this one is named differently
Here's a link to THE DOHICKEY Thats HOLDING the Flexshaft HANDPIECE, $10 is all it costs and fits in any vice (except smoking or drinkin, won't fit in those)

NOW for something new. I Started a Jade piece yesterday and wasn't going to post it because I'm not sure it's real jade. It was supposed to be Burmese Jade and is real Pale Almost white with faint greenish color. It is Heavy and hard but a small piece,fairly translucent too and 42mm X30MM X 15mm and is a piece I bought for someone who thought they wanted a dragon out of it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies