Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 22, 2008 4:42 PM

crickets....

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jan 22, 2008 6:08 PM

Ben, that piece turned out so AWESOME!

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2008 3:29 PM

On 2008-01-22 05:24, Benzart wrote:
This guy has been special all along and working with Zaya to try keeping Buzzy from knowing what was going on was really a trip and it made it that much more special.

Benz, it was a pleasure conspiring with you to keep Buzzy from knowing this big secret that we had. I felt like I was on the edge of my seat with excitement for a good three weeks! I think the hardest part was having to downplay my thoughts about it every time Buzzy and I talked about the progress pictures you posted. I wish I had a video camera to catch the expression of shock on his face when he opened up the package. I had been at his house for about a half hour with my new puppy as a good distraction when I said real nonchalant, "Oh yeah, I have a little surprise for you." I handed him the can that you wrapped him up in to ship in the box. He took the lid off, and pulled out the well bubble wrapped package. It was fun because although the bubble wrap was clear there were so many layers you couldn't see through it. Then as he peeled off each layer the surprise was slowly but surely revealing himself, and then the realization hit, and out comes, "WHOAAAA!!!! NO WAY!!!" and he stood there studying it in awe, shock and amazement. Honestly even for me it was hard to believe that we were actually in the presence, and in the same room even with that amazing little 3-D Hei Tiki. I also wanted to say that after really getting a good look at this guy up close and in person I said to Buzzy that the pictures of it really don't do it justice, and those were some great pictures! Seriously Benz, this is one spectacular piece of work. I feel honored and lucky to have been the one so fortunate to get this guy, and am absolutely thrilled to give him to Buzzy. I know how much he appreciates everything that you put into making him. We both will cherish this guy forever. Thank you Benz, thank you for everything. The whole experience was priceless. xxx

Zaya

B

Thanks Skully, you won't have to wait long. I need to do a small jade Dragon, nothing fancy, just a cartoonish kind of looking thing that Must look like the provided drawing. Also I'll start a wood pendant of some type to be determined when I start. Thanks

GMAN, Yeah and that one I've been chipping away on too as well as another.

Conga, Yes as a matter of fact I am working on TWO of them for someones :lol:

GMAN, Crickets? How did you know?

Bete, Thanks, nice to hear from you!

Zaya, WOW, What can I say except that I would have Loved to have been there when Buzzy opened that can. I know you were bursting at the seams throughout this whole deal which made it even More fun. I Really didn't think you would last and be able to keep your secret until the end but you Did it and it was so great. I am Very happy and proud to have you and Buzzy get this piece, I'm so glad you both love it. Thank you So Much, this has been such a great experience!

Aloha Ben!!!

I need a fix !!! whats next on the masters plate cant wait to see,Thanks for all the carving lessons and I'll B by to MONKEY up your driveway next week,Aloha your friend, jimmy Mooney

C

Soooooooo great! amazing, amazing! buzzy must be the luckiest guy ever!!
To own this piece and to have Zaya too, I would say! That proved to be thee most generous person!! confabulating with Benzart and all!
I'm happy too :D ! for this little guy existing and for this cool couple existing! and of course, for Benzart existing too! happy happy happy for you all, you make my life better, thanks!

WAH!
Buzzy gets all the Good Stuff!
Incredible job on that 3-d Hei-Tiki!
You got some Superhuman Skills Benz!
speechless....

Aloha Ben!!!
Come on my friend Share that WICKED Kool Lono that your almost finished with and the BIG Mother that your about to start We need a Benzart Fixx,Aloha your friend, Jimmy Mooney
Thanks for letting me mess up your driveway and for all the pointers,Aloha ,Jimmy

F

Benz,
Just read thru this last 43 page thread and WOW that Buzzy is a lucky dude! I was moved to tears by the spirit of sneaky giving you and Zaya had for Buzzy. He's a great tiki carver too and I'll bet there's something lurking for you!

CA

BENZ RULES ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!.... !

R
Robin posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:54 AM

YOOOOHOOOO...Benz where are you? Are you working on a secret project?

C

Where's Benny? Lono? Big Lono?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 4:53 PM

C'mon B-Zart. WE know you are there....

Can Benno come out and play?

B

Hey Mooney, By now you HAVE Already been by and covered my drive AND Truck with Sawdust but We had FUN, THANKS! and I Mean that. When ya' coming by again, Oh thats right you DID, Thanks More dust and more camaraderie, when's the Next visit??
Sorry I been SO Out of it.
I went to my pain Doc last week and they changed my pain meds to something that took away all the pain as well as my ability to Stand, Talk, hold up my head, you know all those Much needed functions? All gone but over the next several days I got acclimated to them and can act kind of Normal like now so I think I can get back to work other thqat nasal surgery next week, then I'm Done, No More (%$&)_*( Doctors 'cept the pain guy, he can stay. Honestly I have been in major pain for the last year and they have tried several things to cope with it and this last change is the first one that shows promise so I gotta carver while I can and I have several pieces I need to finish, you'll see them as they come up.

Candle maker-Clarita, Thanks for your kind words and YES it WAS fun, al;l that conflaburating with Zaya and stuff.
Thanks for all your Thankfullness and happiness, you Really do Spread the CHEER! YEAYYYYYY!

Little lost Tiki, Thanks big time coming from you with your coolly twisted mind. I'm glad you liked the twisted tiuki It's not that I have any Special skills, it's JUST that I Take My TIME to Clean up All the little crooks and crannies and that makes it special. You can Talk now,, Try!

no prolo Mr Mooney, I enjoy having you come over, Any time and that goes for the REST of you Too, wanna come around for a visit, I don't bite. PM me and set a datekl and Come On DOWN, Thanks Mooney!

Freddimon, Thanks for reading the whole story and I'm glad you liked itwe did for Sure. Yes the Buzz is an Excellent carver and he has all my secrets in that little hei-Tiki and I'll bet it won't take him long to read every lesson and learn it all.

Was that Mr Evans as in Crazy Al?? Thanks for the kind words and the kingship but YOU are the RULER Here, Man, NO ONE can TOuch yourSuper art, It is Way above mine Any Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks.

Robin, I'm Home and Awake now but I'm Not working on any secret project yet, need all the parts first. In the next few days I'll be posting the pieces I'll be working on to finish up SOON. Thanks Robin!

Hey GMAN, Nobody's home but benno can come out and play tomorrow. But, Next week I have some Nasal surgery going on and I can't be gittin no Sawdust up my nose for awhile so hafta do things differently awhile.
Where's Kingstiedye hiding, anyone know if he'z OK?

TOMORROW

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:55 PM

Last update, huh? Well then, I guess now I can comment! Nice work, Benz! Verrrry nice! I'm glad to find out that Buzzy has it.

Now I know where it is.....

:)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 4:01 AM

That must have been very hard to let go Benz. And yet at the same time an easy decision, knowing it would be appreciated. I think as an artist, that's the biggest thrill, having someone get excited about getting some of your art. :D

Hopefully all the medical stuff goes well for you!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 7:12 AM

Morning Ben,

Sorry to hear that the pain has been so over the top this past year...you sure wouldn't know it from the work coming out of your studio. We will all be thinking about you through this surgery.

Your right, Crazy Al is one really damn fine carver, but I'm sure that for Al, and most all of us here, you make up what is the spirit of Tiki Central. You are part of the core of this thing we call tiki.

Thanks for everything that you give....

Benzart rules all!

B

On 2008-02-05 07:12, Babalu wrote:

Benzart rules all!

YEP

Benjamin.

Got any extra pain pills???

you rock!

H
harro posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 9:25 AM

Hi Ben,

sorry to hear the pain has been bothering you lately - good luck with the meds and for your op next week.

looking forward to seeing some more tikis from you real soon!

harro.

B

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind words and stuff.
I worked more on a small7 inch Koa guy today:

J

That's what I'm talkin' about! :D

R
Robin posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 5:50 PM

Well yeah! That is one fine butt you got goin' on there Ben. So happy you're feeling well enough to do some stuff....good luck with that surgery....coming back fine and fit and ready to do what you love.

Best to you Benz

B

Thanks Jen and Robin, How did I Know you two would be the first to post on this guy. Thanks, I Appreciate it.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 7:07 PM

Shaping up fine already mate :D

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 7:36 PM

Hahaha, ol' bubblebutt is looking pretty fine there! Man, you've got it all laid out just like that...plenty of attitude in that posture already! Great to see you wielding the toolz again Ben.

B

Thanks Hewey and Paipo, Feels good to sneak a carving in when I'm not supposed to:lol:
Bubblebutt huh? I'll remember that one from you Paips
Thanks guyz.

H

Are you reticulating this fella?

Damn Ben, even just roughed out this guy has a great presence. You told me once to try to escape the shape of wood - I'm still struggling with that - but you are showing me the way. Lead on!!

B

Well I can TRY to do one of these guys without the lines but it will be Difficult :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Hodad
Tom, Maybe you need to come up for more lessons, Come On! Thanks.

H
harro posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2008 3:40 AM

great to see you back in action Ben, even the rough out on this guy looks tasty!!

Can't wait to see the many progress shots on this guy. He already is lookin' great.. Glad your feelin'a lil' better, Ben.

B

Morning Ben,

Hey I've got a question that I am hoping you might be able to help me with...I've got this cool "2 Cherries" knife and I am not sure how to use it really. Do you have a knife simular? What, if any, are the advantages to having such a blade?

Thanks in advance...

B

Thanks Harro and Freddie, Appreciate the comps!. Come on down Anytime.
Babalu, No I don't have one of those bad boys but they are a Mean looking tool and probably mostly for Chip carving I think. Two Cherries makes an expanded line of Chip carving knives and I'll nose around and see what I can find. I've seen them before but never held one.
Thanks!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 11, 2008 9:44 AM

Looks like a cool new piece you are working on!

When I first started carving I went to Woodcraft and the guys there showed me this and many other strange knives. They had no clue what they were for but I can tell you that none of them felt right when I tried to use them. I ended up buying a straight edge blade that is now collecting dust. It does look like a Chip Carving knife - perhaps used to make deep lines?? Watch yer digits!!

B

The blade looks like it will generate a lot of power pushing away from you, but the angle will give it leverage to cut deep points and "pop" them out?

More info about that "Bent knife" or Crooked knife among other names. Maybe I should get one AND I have lerarned a Lot about carving knoves while looking for this Info..

Magazine Antiques, May, 2005 by Allison Eckardt Ledes
"Thousands of years ago, no one knows where, an ingenious person invented the ultimate multipurpose tool--the drawknife. Around 1500 the Woodlands Indians of northeastern North America, who had been using stone tools, were introduced to iron by French traders and with it they produced an improved drawknife known as a mocotaugan. This simple, logically conceived tool is also known by many other names, among them: crooked knife (couteau croche in French), basketmaking knife, bent knife, and canoe knife. Everyone in the world of American Indian studies concurs that, under whatever name it is known, this is one of the most versatile tools ever developed. The user grips the handle with his palm up and his thumb braced at the end of the handle. The blade is usually set at a thirty degree angle to the handle, and the knife is pulled toward the user. Thus, the mocotaugan can be used with great efficiency and accuracy to carve, cut, shave, gouge, and smooth. It was employed to create splints for making baskets, skin an animal, fashion snowshoes, harpoons, spears, bowls, and ladles, and make a birchbark canoe. One gets the idea that no one ever left home without it."

This from "Woodcarvingsupplies.com""You don't have to be working in the Northwest coast style to appreciate a fine crooked knife. At home in hard or soft woods, they are especially useful for hollowing. Treen makers love them, and they are unexcelled in sculpture. Both convex and concave surfaces can be carved with ease. End grain is no more a trick than cross grain. The knife is a dream for fitting two curved surfaces; boat builders, and cabinet makers who lean toward the flowing line, also make ready use of these tools.

The Kestrel knife is a refined version of the traditional crooked knife using fine tool steels hardened and tempered to close tolerance. Like all crooked knives, these tools are intended to be held with the palm up. In this position the wrist has its maximum motion and power. The knife's hardwood haft is formed to give powerful grip and perfect control. The haft's unique curved shape allows the carver's knuckles to stay out of the way.

A major advantage of these tools is economy. The double edge cuts with a draw or a push stroke. The bent shape allows access to areas in a wide variety of configurations. There is probably no more versatile wood carving tool. By turning the knife in your hand and using different areas on the blade, the work of many conventional tools can be accomplished. The crooked knife is one of the two most useful tools he average carver could own, the other being a good straight knife. In the European tradition, a craftsman might own 100 or more carving tools. Northwest coast aboriginals did work at least as inspired and certainly as competent with a half dozen tools.

Kestrel crooked knives shown with a Bella Coola "carpenter" mask. This mask is the first for Adrienne Rice who started it in a Wolf Dancer seminar with Duane Pasco.

The crooked knife is offered in two basic shapes. The standard bent is the most versatile. This blade is bent in an ever-increasing radius of curvature, like a French curve, so hat almost any radius can be carved with it. If you have doubts about which tool to order and do any sculpture or recessed work, order this tool. The not-so-crooked knife hasn't a straight place on it. Use it for detailing and where the recurved tip of the standard bend would interfere with the work. The not-so-crooked is great for planing in areas of limited room.

A major advantage of these tools is economy. The double edge cuts with a draw or a push stroke. The bends shown are approximate and are reduced slightly for space considerations. For many more options in blade shapes, refer to the Components section.

Our crooked knives come with a fully-honed razor edge which will give several hours of carving before needed maintenance. These tools are sharpened on the inside of the bend using slip stones. Each knife comes with a comprehensive explanation of use and sharpening which will enable the average woodworker to maintain he keen edge that makes such magic of wood removal. We sell a variety of stones for edging. Please refer to the Sharpening section. "

D & E) Two Unique Versions
of Early Knives
Some Woodlands men, as late as
the 19th century, used beaver
teeth as cutting/gouging tools.
The large upper incisors were
designed by nature exactly as
man’s earliest knives were used,
for a toward-the-body motion.
And beavers, often as big as
bears, had incisors big enough
for men to use as blades. Some
Natives simply used two such
incisors still attached to their
jawbone. Other Natives set one
large incisor into a curved handle.
Knives like this, excavated
along the Ottawa River, have
been estimated to be some 5,000
years old

The evolution of the mocotaugan
From the top: Early Stone Age knife; the first major advance in the cutting tool; a typical mocotaugan with steel blade; the steel-bladed mocotaugan as usable art.

Since time immemorial, this singular knife, along with the axe and the maul, was one of the most essential survival tools of the First Peoples of the Woodlands. It was a many-purpose tool, adapted to make use of the plentiful wood, reeds and rushes indigenous to the dense wilderness of forest and lakes. The knife was made with the blade attached to the handle at an angle, similar to a half-open jackknife, and was always used in a toward-the-body motion. Of all the many native tribes throughout the Americas, this shape of the knife and the way it was used were characteristics indigenous only to the tribes of the Woodlands.
Over eons of time, the blades were made of stone and, later, sometimes with beaver teeth. (The beavers, when Europeans arrived, were often as big as bears, and they used their incisors the same way the knife was used — in a toward-the-body motion.) Beginning in the 1500’s, the blade was transformed — with European steel.
The new form, almost always with blades made from settlers’ worn objects such as wagon springs and razors, spread swiftly throughout the Woodlands, that vast land that stretched from below the tundra of Western Canada east and south across the Great Lakes to the Atlantic and down the coast to the Carolinas. The knife became more than an essential tool; it became both a striking example of two-way acculturation in the New World and a major medium through which Indian artists expressed themselves in the Woodlands traditional art form — small-scale sculpture.
For more on the nature and history of the knife, see the book, pages

B

Wow Ben, thanks for this over the top detailed information. I'm going to have to start practising with this "crooked knife". My initual reaction to it (like Aloha's) was that it just didn't feel right in my hand. The hollowing out use seems logical. Now that I know what it is used for, I'll play with it and keep you updated. It is sharp, sharp, sharp...I can see where one could easily take a good part of a finger off before you could stop the pulling motion.

The history lesson was cool too....thanks again boss! :)

B

Oh Yeah, As soon as I lose these bandages and stop bleeding and conform to all the doctors rules I can get back to work. NOT! The rules all add up to say I Can't carve for s weeks but I read it 6 hours, well maybe a tad longer.

When I Do get back this is what I Must finish

A3' Koa Lono for Gecko

A Teko for Freddie, Yes Freddie!

A Spiny/curly tiki for BETE :lol:

A 16" Moai for Danlovestikis

A 6' Bass wood LONO for own own Conga Man.
Post pix tomorrow
A 2" jade, cartoon dragon
Pix tomorrow
I certainly hope so!

B

Hey Ben,

I'm happy to see your nose will heal perfectly.

Concerning your works in progress, I can see a lot of wonderful mornings to come discovering the steps of your new pieces.
I can't wait to see new pix of the koa Lono and the Teko (lucky Freddie :wink: ).

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 5:13 AM

Those damn tikis been beating you up again Ben??? Ouch!

You'll have to deal them some swift blows with the chisels to shut em up for good!

good luck with the recovery.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 8:22 PM

That first photo could be one of the scariest things I've ever seen on these forums. Ouch :(
Man, that sure is a lot of projects for a guy who isn't meant to be carving - let's hope your Doc isn't a TC lurker! Anyway, like I mentioned the other day, big chisel shavings are way too big to drift up your nose. :wink:

Hang in there Ben, and here's to a speedy recovery.

Wonderful assortment of stuff going on there... still love the curly Lono... wonderful stuff going on in that head dress.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2008 10:31 AM

Speedy recovery to you my Friend, you take it easy!

C

Oh poor nose! Be careful because if your blood touch the tikis, they may come to life in a bad mood :D ! Please take care!!

R
Robin posted on Thu, Feb 14, 2008 3:12 PM

Hi Ben, thanks for letting me look up your nose! Oh man...looks so tender and sore. OUCH OUCH OUCH Hope your breathing better and feeling better. Nice array of stuff to contemplate while you don't follow Dr's orders. That curly Lono is especially nice. Take care Ben.

T

Damn Ben! I step out for a minute, and look what happens! I hope you're ok man... how the hell did that happen?

Your work still blows me away. That sort-of-take-off on a hei-tiki in wood with fingers in his mouth? That is what it looks like, a little. Great stuff! He's off the hook!

It's easy to spot a guy that grew up in the day (of experimentation). :wink:

Take care, please.

GAP

S

Man the nose thing looks tender look like its gone down well.

Now get on that Spiny/curly tiki i just love that guy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies