Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

Oh-m-god! You need triple bi-focals to see all that. When you're done, go get yourself a MICRO-brew for a job well done.

You weave pure magic there brudda!

KS

very cool ben! the warrior and his club are outstanding.

Wow! Double your clubbin with that little guy!
Amazing Benz! Advancing the Art yet again!

Studio 54!!!

Bens,

You are a Class Act!!!!

B

Wow, Thanks Everybody, I'm Tired and going to bed. G'nite

M

Very unique Ben to say the least!! Your work is impecable [check spelling], I am always blown away with your artwork. AMAZING AGAIN!
I assume this bad boy has a home already?
Ray

B

Thanks Moondance, I Appreciate your kind words . NO this guy does not have a home yet, though there are a few interested peeps

J

That figure looks full of emotion and alive enough he seems to be trying to pull himself off the club.

F

Ben!!! It's been a while since I've checked things out around here. Holly crap, that club looks amazing! I'll be here more often, I promise. After all, I have to see how this turns out. I can't wait!

B

Thanks JP, HE IS alive. The little guy is supposed to watch the back of his master while in battle and he is getting ready t POunce on the edemy and destroy him.

Finky, Thanks, Nice to see you popping up here again.

Just a happy note, this fella Does have a home where I'm sure he will be well cared for. HappyHappyHappy

The owner of that piece is sure going to be own a treasure...that is amazing!!!

R
Robin posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 6:03 AM

Hey Ben...very lucky people getting this one! It sure is a beauty.

B

Thanks Paipo, I drilled a hole in his fist and stuck it through,,Eazy! :lol: OK Next time I'll do a guy on the club of the guy holding the club of the guy golding the club. How many do you want?

GMAN, You Too.

Thanks Conga, I could Swear I answered these comments but I don't see it like you didn't see the little guy? :lol:

Thanks Surfer, I Need a brew after that.

Kiwishaman, It's not me, it's the Ancients, they are messing with me again, Thanks!

Bullet, Thanks for the kind words.

LLT, Thanks for stopping by with the good words, Stick around.

B'Ben, Thanks, (its All your Fault!)

Thanks VampiressRN, Glad you stopped by, thanks for the props.

Hi Robin, Thanks, I believe the new owners are very happy .

Here is todays work. I'm finished carving the little guy and now will carve a face into the butt end to make a nice impression on the enemy's Jaw. :lol: :lol:

That face has a really extra special quality of animation to it. Exceptionally well done, even for you!
Knockin off early today?

Buzzy Out!

B

Thanks Buzz, glad you like the face. Yes, quittin' late today. Usually about 4 hours is all I can stand and I did 6 today but me fingers are falling off so I decided to take your example. I'm gonna go lay out by the pool and get a tan. Thanks,.

F

On 2007-09-05 12:13, Benzart wrote:
I'm gonna go lay out by the pool and get a tan. Thanks,.

The pool? :wink:

B

Well Darn, Whose pool was I at? I Hate pools.

B

Amazing work.... with that ability to create I would have a hard time wanting to take a break too!

B

Very very very ... good.
This maori chief/warrior seems to be alive. The hair, the nose, the tongue, every little thing is in the right place. Amazing.

Very Respecfully,

Ben

R
Robin posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 3:03 PM

Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben!!!!!!!!Will you look at that....wow....he is something eh? Damn fine, damn damn fine.

B

Thanks Blowfish, yes he is Very Demanding.

Benella thanks, he IS alive, he Hollers at me all day long. He's afraid I will chop off a finger (his) and lets me know about it. Shoulda heard him when I was cleaning out between his legs, you'da thought I cut a leg off or something! :lol:

Robin, Robin, Robin, I Have been looking at this guy all day :lol: and he looks back, Angrily. I threatened to blind him and he quieted down for an hour. Thanks for your comps and props.

Thanks again everyone.

B

Not much work today but did get half the butt face(?) done!

C

I tried three times to say something that sounds intelligent, but I give up. The
face on the handle is absolutely nuts.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2007-09-06 16:50 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 4:57 PM

That face doesn't look like any butt I've seen! Is the little fella a self-portrait by any chance?
I'm so glad to see you busting out the chisels and the hook knife again!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 5:21 PM

NICE butt-face Ben! This is going to be one super duper deluxe Benzart! Pulling out all the stops aren't ya? I am really going to enjoy adding this one in my collection....................

-G

The woods that you use to carve are already art, not to mention what you do to them! Boy I'm jealous.

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 7:14 PM

Ben,

This work is absolutely one of the best things that I have ever seen done on TC, period!

I don't know where your planning on taking the small figure from these picture (cleaning up wise), but I would have a really, really hard time touching it further...it looks perfect as is!! His hair, expression, eyes, curve of the body, little rougher than standard Ben feel to the over all...I'm blown away boss!

Please post up, and stay in this mode for awhile.

It's kind of reminds me of a kids drawing in a way; please don't take this wrong...but, we quickly loose that fresh, free aspect on how we approach art when we were children, the line becomes more technical, technical, technical...then, we spend the rest of our adult life trying to figure out how to get back to that place where we were in our art as children....this ain't kids art, but the line work appears spontaneous, and fresh...like your hand just knew where to take this, and your mind kind of followed.

Ben, in my opinion, I believe you are starting to move beyond you. And that sir, ain't an easy thing to do.

I'm ready to start a bidding war with G on this one?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 7:23 PM

The new BenZart line.....KidZart!

Seriously, I agree with Babalu, leave him be - I imagine you are gonna leave him be since you gave him his moko....right?

Oh, and Babalu, I think this guy IS spoken for, but I imagine he is way outta my price range....

-G

B

Ha - just kidding G, I wouldn't try to muscle one out from under you.

I would, however, like to fall on the Ben "to-do-for" list if at all possible?

B

Hey Conga, thanks and keep up trying to confuse me, iy=t's so easy you know. Thanks for the comments.

Paipo, Yes that is a Self portrait, can't you see the resemblance? It feels great to feel the wood in my hands being shaped into something beautiful, but I Still have to push myself to the Left when I go out to my shop. To the right is my Stone area with umbrellas and raincoats and Towels ans squeegees and stuff to work the stone, ahh yes the stone. If I turn left I go to my plain old woodworks area, bah humbug. But once I get there and the chips start flying I'm OK for awhile. I don't really know how this happened? The hook knife looks SO Dangerous doesn't it?

Thanks GMAN yes the Super-Duper-Deluxe model Benzart. I'm Afraid you will have to deal with BlowFish if you are entertaining thoughts of adding this piece to your collection. He may have a thought or two about that. :lol:

Thanks Surfintiki, Flattery will get you Everywhere.

Babalu, Thanks for the kind words, I'll share them with the Ancients who get the credit for this guy. I'm just on a joy ride.
This guy has just evolved from a Non Plan and a Non drawing. I wanted him a bit rough around the edges so he would be seen and Not be hiding on the back side of the club. HE is way more than I ever envisioned and I don't know how he happened but he did. This has rally been one of those Magical pieces that don't happen often, where the pieces just fit and keep fitting like I had this grand master plan.
Thanks so much for the compliments and your assessment of my work on this piece.
As I told Greg, Blowfish is the man to begin a bidding war with! Thanks.

GMAN, Yeah, the guy is done but for some tats on his other side.

Babalu, remind me to explain my "to-do-for" list one day. Thanks

No pictures today since I just worked On my shop today And spent time with Aloha Station who came by just to check out the Club . Perhaps tomorrow . Also there is a slit drum I need to start maybe tomorrow too.

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 6:47 PM

That magic sure shows Benz. What a nice space to be in with your work. Enjoy the ride!

J

He said "Butt face" he he he

Awesume work.

Amazing stuff as usual Ben!

Wow...your work always leaves me tongue-tied! even moko on his little face! WOW! Incredible Ben! Your dedication to your art is Heroic!

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 8:09 AM

Just another Amazing use of wood by Dr. Benzart!

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 9:13 AM

Apparently you paid attention at both Coon-tiki events and the Oki-Oki.

Just kidding, brilliant carve Mr. Zart.

absolutly beautiful, Benz. i know what you mean about that pull between the mediums. i feel that a lot between painting and carving. it's all about a balance, right? keep up the masterful work!!!

You are going to just have to figure out how to mass produce these!

B

Thanks Robin, There IS Magic there and if it's not from the Ancients, then I don't know where it's from. I Certainly AM enjoying it. I See this beautiful piece of work and I Know I Didn't do it but I was there watching me do it, so I'll suht up now. Thanks Robin.

JohnnyP, Butt face Butt Face Butt Face :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slax, Thanx, I Appreciate that!

LLT, How can you accuse ANYONE else of being Heroic in their dedication and talk about Small Minute work, You have that bag cornered. NO One can get the detail that you can in Every square Millimeter of canvas.
Thanks Little lost guy!!

McTiki I'm trying my best to be respectable to this wood. It was Gifted to be by a dear friend who holds it in high regard and I must do My Utmost best to make this piece of wood Sparkle. Thanks.

Heath, Actually I DID pay attention and learned my lessons wel at both Coon Tikis and the Oki-Oki too. This piece has taken All the experience all lumped together. It has been very difficult. Doing one side was fairly easy but matching the other side has really been a Bear and very uncooperative. I knew the wood was hard but was not ready for the grain changes to Everywhere on this piece. I have a bag of chips that look like I was whittling on a box of toothpicks. Little tiny chips for hours.
Thanks Heath

Greentikipat, Thanks for the kind and Understanding words. That "Balance" does not come eazy.:)

Thanks Raffer. I Think I have figured a way. It involves you coming down here and learning how to use my tools and and how to answer to "Benzart" When you geta few done I'll sign'em and Sell'em. How does that sound?

I did a bit of work on the right side of the Butt Face today, here it is.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 10:39 AM

Ben!!!
Hello!!!
Sorry, I haven't posted in awhile. I just went through your entire new thread here and I am once again amazed by your artwork! I can't believe how many stone carvings you've done...AND THAT PADDLE is killing me because it is just WAY TOO COOL! I like how those two previous jade pieces of teh hula girl and tiki ended up in that dessert tray, too cool, in fact I got so hungry for breakfast after looking at the food in that picture, ha, ha. That carving event looked like it was a blast! Bet you guys all had a fun time. The pictures in this forum are just great.

WOW!! The figure and 'butt head' are spectacular; amazing character and life. Whats more, they are unmistakeable BenZ's! You really have something distinctive and recognisable about your work Ben. Top stuff!

T :)

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 6:27 AM

On 2007-09-09 21:35, Tamapoutini wrote:
WOW!! The figure and 'butt head' are spectacular; amazing character and life. Whats more, they are unmistakeable BenZ's! You really have something distinctive and recognisable about your work Ben. Top stuff!

T :)

Ditto to you Ben the fabulous!

C

On 2007-09-06 16:31, Benzart wrote:

Is incredible you work wood as if it were clay! It don't look static or square at all!
Love that wood...!

J

The confidence you have to finish one side of the face before you even start the other is incredible.

A gorgeous piece of artwork as usual, Benz.

Mrs Hoptiki

H

Awesomely stunning! That wood is gorgeous to the tenth degree. I'd be honored to take a whackin' from a club like that! :)

B

Hi Bete, Thanks for all the kind words. Nice to see you back on the pages.

Tama, thanks, I appreciate that. You wouldn't be sugar coating that for me now would you, you talking about me? :lol:

Robin Thanks for the props. Are you back carving again?

Thanks Clarita the Candle maker. One of my objectives when I pick up a board or log is to make a carving that doesn't look like a board or log. I want to let the carving be free of those bounds. Thanks

JP, Thanks, it almost got me in trouble this time though. I'm having a hard time with it.

Thanks Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki, flattery will get you everywhere, thanks for the comps.

Hi Howland, formerly Surf-N-Turf, the Palo Escrito or Mexican Rose wood IS really beautiful and just about Anything you do to it will turn out beautiful. As far as the "Taking a whacking with that", I'm sure it can be arranged. :lol: :lol:

It was a rainy, yucky day and I caught a cold from Sherry so didn't carve today. Maybe tomorrow, but I doubt it. Thanks for looking and sharing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies