Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

B

I love the moais. Is the one with the hat from curly maple ? He is amazingly beautiful.

Ben.

So what do ya think, can ya make use of that piece of wood I sent? I'd love to see what you can do with it! And, what tools you'd attack it with!...I'm tellin' ya, it's REAL soft!

B

Thanks Ben, yes the guy with the hat is Curly Maple and Hard stuff it is. The other one is Curly Redwood and Soft stuff IT is. Totally opposite working pieces of wood.

Surfin, sure I can do plenty with that soft wood you sent. I'll just wittle it with my hook knife...
And all types of other power toolz, I have to be really careful with it being so Soft you know!
How are you liking all the Soft woods I sent you home with, I saw Some carvings but waiting for the Purdy stuff! :P :D

Oh Yes! Lots of little pieces. I'm about to start on 2 projects, but aren't really tiki, but oceanic.
Question> Where do you get the little stands, or if you make a wood base, then where do you get the little metal rods?

B

I'm trying really hard to remember what that "Metal" rod was and I honestly can't remember but I think it was just an old Bur. The "strands" are artificial deer sinew from eBay, hand braided to form a cord. Teachings from the Kiwis and from the Bone carving bible.
Thanks.

Wow who's Garage is that? It looks so different I can't quite place it:lol: Ben, as always your carvings,sharing,teaching and all in all support of all of us is why you are such an amazing person and an assett to all that show up at Tiki Central and everywhere you go!!!!!
Oh ya by the way that Bone carving is INSAinly Beautiful and who ever gets that is gonna be one Very LUCKY bugger or buggeret!Mahalo and Aloha your friend, Mooney

B

Almost done with New Shop, Will have pic's tomorrow.

Benz - as always - sublime

love the tiki mask :tiki: excellent!!!

KS

ps - sorry - saw this earlier and thought I had posted!

"Open your heart to me slightly, and I will show you the World" The Zohar

[ Edited by: kiwishaman 2008-07-28 21:19 ]

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 7:27 AM

Very cool new pictures (since my last post)!

S

New Shop? What you cleaned it? :)

B

Thanks KS, Bete and Seeks as well as everyone who left great comments on the previous page, I guess I haven't been here much recently, been totally consumed by this "Honey DO" job (Really for me)and it seems I totally ignored you all, my Apologies.
The Garage is done enough to do some carving which I finally did today! YOU talked me into it so here is the beginning, nothing special but now it's gonna be done. OH yeah, you wanted to see the garage/shop? Crank up the Power on your modems!

wow - that is some workshop Benz.

Jealous jealous jealous here.

KS

WhooHoo! Garage is lookin Tidy!
the box looks great! :D

Whoah Benz! Looks slightly different from when I was there! Amazing how much stuff you've built up huh?!
Hey, what tool did you use for the long cuts into the wood box?
You don't have any Zebrawood do you? :lol:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 7:54 PM

The garage looks great, and so does that box mate :D

T

This looks like it's going to be a very cool little box!!!!

S

The box is looking fantastic!

And the shop is tight! You did update your will about the
shop being left to me right? :)

P

will you adopt me?

J

:o You sure that's the same garage I saw not two months ago?!? What cabinet is the secret project in now? :wink:

The box is looking lovely! Such graceful lines to match it's inhabitant!

I've got an idea for the nightlight concept that has been mentioned here before. Let me know if you interested in details.

Oh, and thanks for the early b-day wishes! I wish you and Sherry could be here to celebrate with me. That reminds me, when are you kids gonna make it out to this coast to visit the Benzart hanging in the entry of Forbidden Island?

Miss you bunches!!! Hugs and kisses!

C

Oh you've been experimenting with LEDS? cool! Me too!! :)! (I'm having an artistic crisis because of them!) The two moais and the box are looking fantastic!! I love how the two materials look together to start with, but now with the light it totally pays of!! Congrats!!!
and your workshop is looking neat, congrats on that too!

The carved lite box you're working on looks like the perfect frame. Excellent work!!!

Benzart,

Beautiful work!!

I love this new guy, very intricate and beautiful!!

Yours is one of the most clean and organized carving areas that I have seen.

Unlike mine.

I have to carve outside in the forest since my chainsawing is super messy and I am lazy about cleaning up.

Hopefully , life is treating you well.

Cheers from S.C.Tikis

B

KS, Thanks for the props on the shop, I've worked for a couple weeks on it nd now I'm ready to carve and I'm too tired, but that won't last too long as I'm all fired up to get it dirty again! :lol:

Duddy, Thanks, Some day your shop will be bigger than this one! HA :P Thanks

Surfin,,,SO Nice to hear from you again!, Thanks, Yes I DO have Zebra wood,wood eue lich sum? Oh for those Long Sexy cuts in that Maple wood on the sides of that Cuban Cigar box I used the Rare Hook knife. Not seen much except in certain circles as people are very afraid of it.
Yes the Garage IS Very different from the way you last saw it, I found Bunches of Beautiful wood I'd forgotten I had, Can't wait!!

Hewey, Thanks for the props on the box and the room, I'm Happy and proud of them both!

Tahitiki Thanks for the props on the box he'll be done soon.

Seeks,Darn it, I FORGOT to Update the will, I guess I'll have to do it soon since I have about 20 adopted wood carver sons floating around mostly in SO Cal for some reason??? :lol: :P Thanks for the box props!
Pdrake, Sure, I Need a son where I can pack up my wife, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 5 tons of toolz and wood and move to! You have spare bedrooms and a detached garage??

Hey Jentiki, Yes it is the same garage sorta! some new shelves lots of trash gone lots of wood stores away lots of room to hoard away bore boards again :) :)
The Secret project is on the workbench being worked on.
Sure on the night light, let me know what your thoughts are?
I Really wish we could be there to celebrate your birthday TOO,,One of these days!You Too!

Clarita, SHOW US, SHOW US, NOW! That is SO exciting that you are plugged into LED's, Glad you like the shop, C'mon down and help me mess it up! Thanks.

AlienTiki, Thanks for the props, glad you like it.

Will, Thanks SO much for your comments, Really nice to see you around here again, Thanks! Glad you like this piece, I'm finding that carving bone is another whole new deal it gets SO Much more detail I'm still shaking my head.
The Shop is so Clean because I haven't been let loose upon it yet more than a couple days. Give me a few weeks and it will have that comfortable, warm glow that says "a Slob Artist Plays Here?" THEN you can come over and feel comfortable.
I Need to see some more of your cool stuff!

Here are a few more photos.

B

This box is a pure beauty. Nice work.

Ben.

keep it up Benz - this looks like it is going to be a real beauty!!!

J

What a wonderful display piece. How does that spanish cedar carve? Is it chippy?

A Beaut Benz! gotta love that box there, looks great!

T

Great looking workshop there Ben
But
where are you going to put the lathe .... :lol:

your carved box is looking good too mate :)

cheers ,
Jock

B

OOPS, I guess I forgot to submit my post from last night, I'll re-post it in a little while!

TEASE!!!

TD

:lol:

C'mon Benz~!!!

B

OK, Sorry about that, Here's a few

J

Where's that old facemelt animation when I need it?!? :o I swear that bone is alive! The detail and expression is simply amazing! You are the master, Ben!

Wow! It has an extra special quality of animation to it. Well done!

I'll be by soon to help you finish the workshop project. Looks like you need someone to haul all that firewood away:

How come my carving didn't come with a box? All I got was some cookie can, and there were no cookies in it!

I'll have cookies AND milk with my wood, please!

Buzzy Out!

T

WOW!! That is really amazing, the straight-on view is a little spooky because he looks so real! Nice work!! The box is awesome all by itself :)

H

Damn! You finished your box before me! Must be cause you get up three hour earlier! lol!

Great work Ben.

That's freakin' awesome Benz!

S

Yes, the box the light and the bone!
Way over the top classic stuff.

Wow - that is just totally awesome.

How priviledged are we to be in the company of such a master carver.

I might as well pack away my tools now and retire to obscurity.

Congrats Benz

KS

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 6:39 PM

Lets post a pic on this page too.
Never thought it would have came out this good, sorry to have a
single doubt there Ben Zart

TD

My god, Benz.
that's just incredibly beautiful! the disign on the box is awsome too, love the color.
Tough to describe it with our mortal words Mighty Benzart!

ugh.. egh! arg.. Man, its tough to prostrate oneself on the floor and type at the same time.

Deeeeeeeeeeaaaaam Ben, that is just too freaky for words. I simply join the chant "its alive" - Bravo! You do magic.

Wow that is truly an incredible piece of work Ben - Brilliant work.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 5:06 AM

Wow man, that is just awesome. Like scary-good-realistic! :D Inspirational as always!

C

Oh wow! That lil carving is totally stunning! and the light and the box!!!
Drooool! what else can I say!

J

Top shelf material! The bone carving itself is a masterpiece, but add the box to it and the whole package is over the top!

T

Wow this amazing... Love it!!!

Benz, absolutley amazing job! Using the box w/ the light to display it is genius!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies