Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 4:39 PM

F'n A Benz. That is sharp! Dang!

Hippo Gnu Ears Bubba,

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-01-01 16:45 ]

A modern day masterpiece. Wow.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 7:17 PM

Hey Ben,

This little gagging guy a poking at his uvula is really quite a remarkable piece...very delicate work. You the man!

B

Thanks tok-tok, I'm Glad you like Weird because Weird he is, and thanks for the New Year Wishes, Thanks Again.

GMAN, "F'n A Benz. That is sharp! Dang!" Ya' Think So, Yeah? Yeah.
He will probably have Lizard Earz and a Long tongue because He Gets what he Wantz!
G call home MAN,, Thanks!

Surfintiki Thanks you too, Modern day Piece yes but Master Piece, I dunno! Only Time will tell and until then all we can do is just guess, Thanks Again.

Thanks Babalu, I Believe he is trying to show the Dentist which tooth is hurting him so Badly, However you may be right, he may be starting that diet where he gags himself with his fingers and gets rid of the last meal and then turns around and eats another and Fingers it away and eats another,,Hmmm, Wonder nif that works, I DO Love food?..Thanks for the Kind words.

Well basically the Facial carving is done but for the eyes and I'm not sure how I will finish them yet. There are Plenty other areas that need finishing yet, do I hear volunteers to come and help?_____________

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-01-01 20:14 ]

J

This piece just blows me away. WOW!

Wow. You're getting better and better, Ben. Awesome stuff.

S

WOW, incredible Benz. I really like this guy.
He is so alive!

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 8:07 PM

Wild looking new art piece, pretty cool.

B

Just coming back from holidays and I discover this beauty !
Amazing smooth and very refined work one more time my dear Ben.

How tall is he?
Did you use hand or power hand chisel to carve him?

Benjamin.

Hey Ben- This new piece is something else - so intricate... I haven't visited "Carving tiki" in a while, but somehow, you are still managing to raise the bar! :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 6:02 PM

Wow :D

The delicacy of this piece is just amazing - I'd be scared to hold it, let alone carve and sand it! I also love the little details like how the nostrils roll into the bridge of the nose... very impressove work my friend!

On 2008-01-01 15:32, Benzart wrote:
Jonesey, Thanks too!. I've Never seen anything like that Vase, HOW COOL. Thanks for the pictures and for the ones of the Maori Mugz in the background too. How tall is that vase?

Your buggah is sooo animated Benz...dunno if I'd touch him though? He might just lick & nuzzle like a puppy -OR- take a finger down to the knuckle in one quick CHOMP!! :o

The vase is a delicate 7inches of thin ceramic. The hefty Ti-Toki teko bottles are a hefty stoneware two-12in. and two-9incherz in height.

Sooo happy-happy-happy to see you back in action! :D

wow ben that is just beautiful my friend

B

Wow, the detail!!! I am just loving the progress.

B

Johnny P, Pappy, Seeker, Bete and Ben, Thanks for all the Kind words they are much appreciated, Ben he is about 5 inches tall and I think I burned up me recip carver on him and have used Every tool I have just about, hand and power.
SamThanks, glad you came by to visit, I know the feeling as I rarely get to the other side of creating much either but will again soon. Thanks!
Hewey and TJones, thanks too for the props and kind words. That finger down the throat---Babalu, I blame YOU directly for this,, I was fine until I read your post about the gagging part and spent all nite wednesday gagging and giving up a;ll the food I had eaten for a month. Today is Saturday and I can finally turn on my computer..Ugh! I Think I'll be better now, Whats next?
Marcus, Thanks and you too Bali Dan.
Sorry for not being around again but will be back soon now.

Happy new year ben! this tiki is an amazing way to start the new year - I love the alien like hands.

C

oh the new one has some much movement!! I love that! you have a way of carving that ends up looking like if you had model it, I meant like if the material you worked with were smooth.. Amazing!

B

Thanks Poly, Here are a few Macro shots from a new lens Santa left me.

S

Amazing Benz(Geppeto), He realy came to life! Don't be surprised
when he wakes you up in the midnight hour and ask you to make him a real boy.

Movie poster for the new Pinocchio/Chucky Movie.:)

B

WOW, beautiful pictures Ben. What is your macro lens ?
Santa brought me a sigma 70-300 DG macro and it is very helpful to show the grain of the wood and details.

Nice work with the tiki, hope to see another pix as soon as possible :)

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 2:22 PM

Hello Ben
very nice photos and Tikis
Santa was very kindly this year :)
Akuae

B

Thanks Seeker, yes This one has been Talking to me already, wants All kinds of Unrealistic stuff that Ain't gonna happen. Maybe in the Movies :)
Ben,,, Thanks the lens is a Sigma 50mm 2.8 Manual Macro and it Really gets close. I haven't used it on the tripod yet (shame on me) but will soon. It has a Very shallow depth of field, which is hard to work with but I'll figure it out soon. Not bad for a $99 lens tho!
AKUAE, Thanks for the props, yes Anytime Santa even Stops at my house I'm Happy.

I did a small amount on this guy today after listening to him bellyache about not getting any carving time, so just enough to shut him up. Started shaping the other hand and feet and a bit more on the eyes.

Heres the noze for Hewey

B

Here's todays update:

J

Even with the macro lens it's perfect. This is the most elaborate carving here!

C

Come on Ben, you want us to believe that this was once a chunk of wood.
Ha ha ha ha ha. You can fool others but you can't fool me. Did you find
some kind of potion to shrink Finkdaddy? Seems we haven't heard much of
him since he supposedly moved back from your neighborhood.
Finkdaddy where are you?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 7, 2008 4:36 PM

Holy sh*$!!! This is fabulous. Really, I don't think you can get any wilder with this guy. He is beyond gorgeous....you are really showing him who is boss. Resist the urge to stop! Keep going on him and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep posting pictures for us all.

J

Thanks for the tiki booty shots Benz! :wink: This little guy disturbs me a little, but the butt shots help bring him down to earth! Lookin' fine!

Freakin' marvelous!!!!

S

Amazing Benz, this guy is tops! Just Love how he
just sits cross legged with his twisted fingers and tongue
looking at us.

B

Thanks Johnny, I'm not sure about "Perfect" but you're probably right in that it's the most elaborate Only because I'm the only one dumb enough to try a ridiculous stunt like this. This guy has more twists and knots than the Queens Royal Navy knows how to tie.
Thanks Conga, I was HOPING to keep the secret a bit longer, now I'm in Trouble.
GMAN, Thanks, I don't Think there IS a Boss here unless it's the Little guy but neither one of us know whats going on?
Thanks JenTiki, I Appreciate the kind words and hope he doesn't continue to be TOO Disturbing. More booty shots for 'ya. :lol:
TikiFreak, Thanks, I Know he is a Freak 'cause he's giving me nightmares!
Thanks Seeker, he has More than Fingers that are Twisted, His MIND is Way twisted and he will twist yours if you let him.
Here's todays update. Lots of Sanding and More sanding and more defining detail.

T

No wonder he is screaming. I think you left something off (see pic two above). Or, was it just an innocent slip of the carving knife?

K

Holy ballz thats cool!!!!!!

Benz- that is Soooooo unique. You are leaving quite a legacy behind you.

B

Thanks Timid, I guess I would be screaming too. It wasn't a slip of the knife just not on the plans :lol: :lol:
Keigs, Thanks but he has No balls!
SurfinT, thanks for the comps :)
Here's todays update.He is buffed and polished with bees wax. Still more tats to go but getting Close.

B

This fella is way, way over the top Ben!

Killer photo! Love that directional lighting, and the black background behind your work. You should recreate this same shot when your done.

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2008 2:21 PM

..............................Ahem...........Scary talent Alert!!!! Dayum Ben! Three dimensional at that.

..............................................Simply perfection in the making............................

Thank you for keeping the lot of us humbled.

Mahalo

McTiki

T

I gotta echo everyone else's sentiments. "Wow!" just can't be said enough about this piece! That's an amazing piece of art Ben.

S

Ya, the detail is coming into play NICE!

C

Can't say anything that hasn't been said, except that his left foot
freaks me out.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 1:05 AM

This piece blows my mind in too many ways to describe. I just sit on this page, rollling my finger back and forth on my scroll button. Down....up...down...up...down
Damn! Where did the last half hour go?

J

On 2008-01-09 12:07, Benzart wrote:

Thanks for this pic Ben! :blush: Not so disturbing from this angle. :wink:

WoW! Unbelievable!! Cant wait to see where else you put some mOkO~ This lil' dude is an Azz Kicker.

[ Edited by: freddieballsomic 2008-01-10 02:04 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 4:07 AM

Yeh man, that's coming along sweetly mate :D

Insane in the membrane!!! I can't believe any of the phalangies didn't break!!! That is one awesome piece!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 5:10 AM

Yo Benno! This is nutz! Dang! Is that moko burned in or marked to be cut? You never cease to amaze me!

-G$

B

Thanks Babalu, I will try and remember how I did it.
McTiki, thank you Very Much Sir but you seem to have it a bit Backwards as it is All of YOU who keeps ME Humbled, all I'm doing is making sawdust! :lol:
Thanks TheBigT, I appreciate the kind words.
Seeks, Thanks too, hopefully it will all come together in the end and end up looking right.
Thanks Conga, I Planned that left foot JUST for YOU! I was Hoping you would Notice.
Thanks Paipo, That means a Lot coming from you and I appreciate your kind words to no end. (What, Only a half hour?) :lol: :lol:
JenTiki, Thanks and I'm sorry this guy is so Disturbing to you. Let me know how I did it so I can do it More!
FreddiB, Thanks for the kind wordz. Nice seeing you again, been awhile!
Thanks Hewey, Slow but surely, He's getting there.
TFreak, Thanks. Insane all right, this guy has driven me right to the front door. Funny thing about broken phalangies, one of them did break and fortunately it was clean and easily repaired, now stronger than before.
GMAN, Thanks for all your inspiration and kind nutty words.
The Moko is Burned using a fairly cool tip so that it leaves a groove without heavy charring. It gives you more control that way.

Thanks everyone. Today will be more Moko burning and I'll take some update shots later.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

J

On 2008-01-10 06:16, Benzart wrote:
I'll take some update shots later.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

Can't wait.

B

Thanks JohnnyP, except that I didn't carve today, got stuck in the attic making room and putting away all the Christmas Decorations that I didn't display this year. Tomorrow will be here soon though.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies