Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

Ben! Them twins look so beautiful all lit up!
actually had a few minutes to look around...
:) :) :)
and tell Wendy to change her picture to the Bearded Benz!
1 vote for the Bearded Benz vs the clean-shaven Benz!

T

I disagree. The clean shaved Benz looks much younger. :lol: Or should I ask Wendy if that photo was taken a few years back? :lol: Just kidding..

B

Well here I am WAY behind here again,
T-pak Thanks , funnyfunny!

Surfin, a Queenie will be coming up one day before long. So far the Smithsonian hasn't contacted me, Should I wait around? :P :D Thanks

Thanks KS, the Girls are coming

Thanks Clarita, no you need to have some more led torch too :P Thanks

Wendy,
Thanks for stopping By,, Long time. Thanks for the kind words. I just shaved the beard off, I was getting a heat rash and it had to go but come Winter it will be back maybe!

T-Pak, the class clown, did you get into trouble all the time in school? :lol: :) :P :D
Wendy , just ignore the clown if you want :) That photo looks closer now. Thanks again.

Thanks LLT, I vote for the hairy face too.
Here is a piece of Mexican River rock which was ash grey on the outside and I thought was black inside. The color is turning out great, but all the while I'm doing the tattoo, I'm thinking How the HELL does Paipo do this and make it look SO Clean? Paipo, How you do it man?

L
Liana posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 7:23 PM

Great piece Ben! I have a rock that is 1.5 inches maybe in diameter, completely smooth and black in colour - I found it in a river bed when I was 10 and have been carrying it around ever since.. It's my 'lucky' rock.. I'd love to do this to it, but my hands are as steady as an earthquake :P

Liana.

B

Maybe one of TC's rock smashers could do it for you. Paipo is the first, closest guy the comes to mind then there's hat benzart guy but he's so far away in a world of his own HAHA and then Tama, could do it too. What do you want to do to it? Thanks for the comps Alina

L
Liana posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 8:19 PM

Alina?.. well, I've been called worse :P

Well at the moment my lucky rock is in America because I sent it to a friend to give him some luck :)

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 8:20 PM

Looks sweet Ben, very nice :D a true master of all carving mediums!

Here is a piece of Mexican River rock which was ash Grey on the outside and I thought was black inside. The color is turning out great, but all the while I'm doing the tattoo, I'm thinking How the HELL does Paipo do this and make it look SO Clean? Paipo, How you do it man?

Benz, I don't get it. Your piece here looks clean a smooth to my eye's. Can it get any better? And the tatoo looks great on it. Wow, if you're looking for perfection, I think it's on this piece. And I kind of like the rock showing the sort of speckled look. :D :D Or is that my old eye's you playing tricks on me again?

And YES, you guessed it, I was the class clown.. Stupid then and stupid now.. :lol: That's what happens when you don't pay attention.. :(

B

On 2008-10-17 19:00, Benzart wrote:

More perfect than perfect... it wasn't possible to me !

Hat off mister master carver.

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2008 6:58 AM

Ah, I see what you mean about the green. Go figger. I likee. Mean and green...

Sorry to chime in late on your box set. How much higher can you take them? I dunno Benno, but those seem to be about as far as you should goez. Any more and I think you will go nutz? You should try putting some of that super intricate small detail carving on a knife handle. I think that would be really wild - especially on a working knife. I know this guy who has one.....

-G$

Ahhhhh Benzy! Back to the stone again. Cool, this should be great to watch. The river stone is looking fabulous...how could you complain on that one! REALLY looks good.
I picked a couple real smooth stones off the beach, that looks carvable...but not too sure what effects the salt water have on them...I'm still gonna try.
Go Benz!

J

On 2008-10-18 03:12, benella wrote:

On 2008-10-17 19:00, Benzart wrote:

More perfect than perfect... it wasn't possible to me !

Hat off mister master carver.

Benjamin.

I second that!

You are the real king Benzo...I can't get that much detail in a piece that's
six feet tall. Good stuff as usual.

Awesome Ben - I just love this guy, and as usual, your work is exemplary - I cannot see what you are talking about - less than perfect? You, brother, are just too hard on yourself!

:tiki:

KS

B

Liana, Sorry about that. I'd Like to say sometimes I'm dislexic but I'm not, I just screw up a lot :) Sorry,

Thanks T-pak, Yes I'm hard on myself and just trying to get beter These lines are difficult but win't take long to figure out.,C-Clow, I KNEW it!!! :)

Benella, Thanks for the kind words, but it is getting more perfect but has a ways to go. Thanks again!

Thanks GMAN, I'm already Nutz so no better?
No problrm,I appreciate you stopping by.

Surfin, Salt shouldn't hurt at all. Home depot sells 25 pounds for about 15 dollars depending and it is great carvable stuff for the Most part. Thanks, Have fun.

Thanks JP I appreciate that too.

Conga, Thanks, and you'd be real surprised how much you can do and how far you can take a piece, Especially in Bone THEN stone!!

Thanks KS, I think I am just about hard enough on me I could be a bit harder. :P :lol:

Heres an update on the rock guy, Cut the tat in on the left side and did not clean it up as I'll wait till i get the whole thing done then clean and polish.
Oh yeah, this little Bono Lono is a couple days old

ahhh - I likee - I likee lots :)

awesome - keep going - what you sleeping for?? :)

KS

As always Benz, great work!! I am diggin the stone guy

B

Jeeeez Louise Ben!! That is sure some fancy shooting there....how the hell you can work so small with such perfection just plain blows me away!!

B

Thanks KS, Sleep? I don't need sleep, I LOVE Sleep ? :lol:

Mr NoNaMe, long time, Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Babalu, Working small is a definite challenge and they make these thinks called Binocular loupes for dental and surgical work and they let you see real close while keeping your nose out of the dust, makes ALL the difference in the world. Still at that size one little flick and a whole nose is powder so it's challenging.
Here are pic's of todays work. Finished up that leftside and gave him a Black eye from some dark, shiny stone that was lying around in a box

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1584/48fe9004.jpg.

Love the eyes Benz!!!

This piece is just turning out fantastic. wow - so much work on the detail.

Youz the master!

KS

Some sick stones! Love the color the detail just what I expect from
a master.

My my, Ben- just amazing, as always. The left side turned out beautifully. All hail the loupes-save those noses! -Andy

Benz, :o these are looking great so far and I can't wait to see the end result. Another couple of masterpieces I'm sure. I'm still waiting on the female piece, have you started in yet? I'm trying to get you away from all those dark eyes and dark pieces. Put some HAPPY blue eyes in a nice girly piece for a change, might put a smile back on that face. Also might give you a good nights sleep. :P :D :lol:

B

Thanks KS, Glad you like the eyes, He's watching you :P

Seeks Thank you too, Sick Stones? Yeah, Sick if It breaks!

Pp, From Tiki Joe, Thanks for comin' 'round, it means a lot to me here :) Hopefully the Right side will turn out as good as the left???

T-Paker :) Happy birthday BTW coming up Soon and I'm Sure you won't be getting too old. :) I Just might start a pin-up girl soon with blue eyes even? Maybe I don't want a smile caught on my Face?? :P :lol: :D

OK This piece of Rock is Finished. Fortunately he is going to meet Rock bands so should feel at home.

Of course this last one is currently over at eBay setting all kinds of records for longest standing 1 bid wonder!

Jeepers creepers - how on Earth did you carve those peepers? :o :o :o The workmanship is truly outstanding and the inlaying superb! I thought you told us you're a blind old man held together with pins and plates..? :wink:

Excuse my cheek Master Ben, its my way of dealing with feelings of inadequacy..

Bravo!

T

Benz, as usual your work is the greatest. And with the economy the way it is, who has the money to buy that one you have up on eBay? :o You don't know how bad I want to bid on that piece, but my husband would KILL me. But you know my BD is coming up, maybe I should just splurge and buy it for myself! :D NOT.. :( Maybe. :D NOT. :( Must be some rich people out there some where? I hope you get big bucks for it.. Like all your pieces, a lot of your time is put into each one, and they'll definitely worth what your asking and then some. Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to that blue eyed wonder of yours.. :D

B

Thanks Tama, I appreciate your words of wisdom. I guess I should have taken some shots of the eye procedure. You can see on this shot that the eye opening is just a straight, 90 degree, "V" cut which I cleaned up later.
All I did was cut a 1/8" square rod about 1" long from a Black shiny stone. I made sure it would slide into the 90 deg trough as tightly as possible, then pre-shaped the eye , one on each end, as close as possible. Then the eyes were detached from the block and epoxied into their slots. At that the eye looked gigantic and were ground down and shaped further. I figured the worse thing that could happen as I could mess up with getting them even and have to start all over, but it seemed to have worked out fine in the end. I really MUST thank Paipo and his intricate pieces he has shown us with stone-in-stone inlays for having the faith that it Could be done. Of course the postings from YOU, T3, have made it easy for me to transition from wood to the Hard stuff. Thanks both of you. I hope that clearly explains how I did the eyes on this guy, if not let me know. I Promise to take photo of it next time, but you know how hard it is to stop a wild run to use the camera! :P

T-Paka, Thanks for your funny, kind words too. You seem to be becoming my biggest fan? As for miss Blue eyes, not long I think.
Sorry you Missed that eBay auction but another TC'r won it Away from you :), there will be more maybe!

OH Yeah, as far as being lind, these new gadgets REALLY make a difference. Where the old style mag's had a 4 inch working distance, these have a 16 inch distance.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-10-25 07:51 ]

T

Fantastic stuff Ben - absolutely the tops!

Yeah, I may need some of those glasses one day. I've already noticed I sometimes have to remove my glasses and get close to do any detail work. I think I'm gonna try brighter lights first! :lol:

If I may ask here, what is your ebay id?

:o
Incredible, Benz!
the black eyes are in there so...Perfectly!

B

Thanks Big T, Yeah, it's not so much that you have to get close to see what you're doing, its that when you get that close the big vacuum sucking up all that dust happens to be your nose and lungs. Not only that. your eyes are catching it too!. Those were the cheapie Loupes for 108$.
My eBay id is benztikiart since the "benzart" was already taken, believe that? :P

Thanks Duddy, appreciate you always checking out my stuff.

Off the hook, Ben.

Impressive work on an amazing scale!

You're a natural not only on wood, but also stone and bone!

T

On 2008-10-25 15:26, Benzart wrote:
Yeah, it's not so much that you have to get close to see what you're doing, its that when you get that close the big vacuum sucking up all that dust happens to be your nose and lungs. Not only that. your eyes are catching it too!. Those were the cheapie Loupes for 108$.

Ah, good point. Yeah, I need to start working safe. I'm still not wearing any mask or anything for dust. Just wearing glasses. I think it's about time to add some extra protection.

B

Thanks Lake, Nice to see you around these parts and especially with the great comps, Much appreciated. I am but a lowly learner of wood and stone with So much more to discover. I wish I had started when I was as young as you guys, you have So much more to carve, keep it up!

Thanks B-Toe, Yes if you Aren't protecting yourself from the noxious and dangerous dust, smoke, fumes, chips, debris and all the other things created when carving, NOW is a great time to start. I have a callous on one eye from sawdust and I have COPD so I Must wear protection. You all should use it while you still can and not wait until it is a Must for you too.
Somewhere here is a safety thread which I will find and bump up as it is Very important for everyone's future health and safety.
I will be starting some new stuff SOON, Stay tuned

T

B-Toe?? :lol: Where did you get that? What the T stands for is a secret. :wink:

B

Sorry about that, BigT, when you get old these things just come out and don't make sense, Toe, tow, toug, to, too, two it's all very confusing to my mind. Hopefully the secret was not seen by too man peeps? :(

T

On 2008-10-30 03:18, Benzart wrote:
Sorry about that, BigT, when you get old these things just come out and don't make sense, Toe, tow, toug, to, too, two it's all very confusing to my mind. Hopefully the secret was not seen by too man peeps? :(

LOL, just kidding ya! I did see a post in the marketplace by one of the TC'ers named BigToe. I know what u mean. I lost two things this week within five minutes of setting them down. One was my cell phone. The other was an apple with a bite taken out of it! :lol:

H
harro posted on Fri, Oct 31, 2008 9:19 AM

hey Ben,

yet again i've been away a while and look what I've missed!!! amazing detail on these little fellas - and the bone boys in their little lightbox houses are just amazing - they certainly are museum quality that's for sure. I dont know how you do it - or for that matter what you are going to do next. I suppose that's why everyone here keeps logging on to TC - something I've got to do more of!!

cheers, harro

J

I really love the stone moai, Ben! The black eyes make it come alive.

Happy Halloween! (~~)

Benzart your work is totally inspiring to me. I love all of the Rock and Bone stuff you are doing.

C

that bone family it's a dream!!!

Exquisite detail and in such a petite piece of work. Keep giving that electron microscope a workout.

Wow Benzart, very impressive work. The high level of detail is amazing and it shows practice makes perfect.

I just have to second all that.

Impressive just really doesn't explain your work.
I have searched the english dictionary, and there is not a word there that describes it at all.
I guess I will have to make one up.
That will take time - brain dead :)

Keep it up MASTER of carving.

KS

B

Thanks BigT---The, it's OK,, it'll be All right, Thanks,..

Harro?? Thanks, Nice to see you around these parts again, Next is I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the kind words.

Jen, JEN!! HI, Long time, hope you are fine, Missed 'ya! Thanks for the comps.

Spermy, Thanks, I appreciate that. Still gonna do you a whale rider but one of my own design this time.Nice to see you here again!.

Clarita, Thanks for the comps on the bone stuff, Glad you like it.

Thanks T-Lizard, thanks for the props, but it's the 'scope thats givin ME the Workout and the new micro motor and tiny burs, they have really made a difference.

Grapa-RuHa Thanks it Also shows i NEED more Practice because these are far from perfect.

KS, Thanks too for trying whatever you are trying, but I'm far from perfect, LOOONG way to go! :P

Here's one I pulled out of the box/drawer of misshapen misfits. He's about 3 years old and back then I was unable to fix him and I think he came back well. Ben OK for YOU?
Opps. i forgot the pictures!! :P

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-11-03 20:07 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-11-28 20:17 ]

Fuck ya!

took the words outta mah mouf!
Outstanding....
You're Hotter than Global Warming!
What a batch!

TD

Yea, Benz!!
Man, i love it when you pull out another face!
and always like it when you add them with a toung!

B

THANKS Benny, Kinny and duddy, I appreciate the kind and colorful words! :) :P
Other Ben, Still need that addy!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies