Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

H

Absolutely gorgeous mate :D

B

Thanks for those super finishing pix and thanks for the picture of the poly 'cause from usa to France the names of those products are often not the same !

Beautiful work.

Most incredible piece Ben kudos!

ben i am back. i have a few days off i hurt my wrist carving the big one your carvings are splendid i hope i catch up one day.

B

Hala Bullhiki, Big thanks for the props, HappyHappyHappy.

GMAN. I take that as a Very High Compliment, Thank you very Much G !!

Hewey, Thanks for a gorgeous comp and I'll keep that one :).

Benella, Thanks big time, Do you have this brand of poly over there? COOL, Use it, but you have to wipe it on with a rag, not brush and it works great

Thankks Hiphipahula, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them VERY Much..

Tiki Beat by Margus Thorn, Thanks for the kind words and comps

This is the Wipe on Poly that I use, And this is the update for today, The base is the Same wood and only has one coat of the 6 it will get. The Club has 6 coats of the wipe on poly

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 21, 2007 3:43 AM

F'n A!

M

On 2007-09-21 03:43, GMAN wrote:
F'n A!

G' Ya stole it !

Now I have to come up with something of brilliance.

Freakin Stupendous!

B

Thanks GMAN for the short sweet props I think. :lol:
McTiki You too, I appreciate your kind words.
No pix today, but I have only a couple more coats to go on the base and the club only needs a short cord.
We're off in the morning to Alabama for the weekend, see 'ya Tuesday!

That is simply amazing. It looks like it should be in a museum collection.

Nice work, as usual, Ben. Thanks for sharing it.

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

Another museum piece for Benz! I so love your Maori swirls...on ALL your stuff.
I'm glad to see you use good ol' Minwax, not some special voodoo stuff you get from some distant, far off place, like on some hidden island in Tasmania or something!

J

Bravo! Head bowed in respect!

amazing, what a masterpiece!

WOW!
That turned out a Masterpiece! The club itself is so full of detail and character (and characters) ! The stain and even the stand itself,all come together into a Museum Quality work of Artistic brilliance! Great going Ben! :D

You sir, are quite simply, a carving Master! We all aspire to create something folks will like, but you seem to create art at a level most of us can only hope for!

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 8:56 AM

Hey Ben, Just doesn't get much better than this! Of course, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next piece topped it knowing you. It is a fine fine piece of work. Congratulations, and thanks for posting all the progress shots....it was like being there. You gonna try one of those Waka Huia? :)

ditto to what everybody else has said. truly a spectacular piece. i'm hoping mine is next up in the queue.

B

Wow, I go away a few daze and look what you guys do. I'll answer more tomorrow but I am holding my eyes open with toothpix right now..
Bullet, your Club is the next one on the list but I have a couple other pieces I need to finish first,.
Thanks so much!!

woohoo! no hurries cuz. now go get some shuteye.

B

Well I May be All rested up but the rain still has not let up. It is still wet and soggy and the last coat of varnish I put on the base is still tacky. Hopefully we will have some sun tomorrow
Freddy, pappy and TikiFreak, thanks for the comps and kind words, SurfinTiki, I wasn't gonna spill the beans about the Secret Benzart stuff. I Still use it in Small amounts but also use the well known brands. I can't give away ALL My secrets now can I?
JohnnyP, Thanks, you make me proud.
Tiki Duddy, LLT, T_Birdman and Robin, again thanks for the Props and thoughtful words, you guys make it all worthwhile.
Bullet? THANKS big time! Your continued support for me as well as All the TC Artists is just plain Great and I'm Happy to count you as one of my friends !
HappyHappyHappy

That is a signature wow piece Ben. Whoah!... busy, bizzy, busy!

B

Thanks Sneaky Tiki, I signed it so it is a signature piece, izzat what you were talking about? Guys, I am SO Proud of this club and Stand that I don't want to let it go, but alas, I'm a Man of my word and will ship it out soon as the paint dries. Lets see if the Picture uploading is working yet, It has been down the past few days.
I went to Ft Lauderdale today to look for some Old growth Florida Mahogany that has been cut down, Cut up, and is waiting to be chipped up before a trip to the dumpI took Tikis by Mooney with me because he is a carver who loves Mahogany and he's Strong as a bull and we brought back a Pick-up truck load of that wood that almost choked my truck, Jimmy got 5 huge pieces and I got 11 not as large pieces.
It seems the Picture uploading software is still down so I'll have toi wait another day, I Apologize for that.
Benzart

B

Hey Benz, perhaps you should do a resin cast/copy of the club before she leaves!

I'm glad that someone else benefitted from the reckless disregard of modern development/redelopment. I can imagine your truck looked like mine on the way home. Enjoy the wood and I look forward to what you guys do with it.

By the way, there is still a huge pile out there.

B

Thanks BlowFish, I just don't have the mold material or the resin yet, but sometime in the future I'll start doing that.
Finally, here are some pictures.

AND,,, Here is how I battered my back, neck, arms and every other part of myself as well as my truck. Jimmy Mooney who helped me (or I should say I helped him a bit)has 5 good sized pieces not shown here!

T

Wow, those are some serious logs - those suckers look heavy!! Now wonder you're all beat up. :)

I just got two truck loads of logs myself last weekend - the neighbor helped me lift them. No way I was gonna be able to do it myself.

Love tha club Ben! That things awesome! I love the finish. Are you still putting a varnish on? It looks like just a stain and wax.

Duh, nevermind - I missed the post with the poly. :wink:

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2007-09-28 06:24 ]

B

I will not say that there will be new super future masterpieces... oups !

Ben

S

Just been looking at your stuff WOW! Very cool.
I just hope i maintain the carving stoke like you have.

Nice catch on the wood.

B

Thanks TheBigT, appreciate the comments., Same to you Ben and SurfSeek, always room for more comps.
Well I Finally put the Last coat of varnish on the base and braided the hand cord for the club, so now I guess I'm gonna have to ship it out tomorrow (sniff..). Here are some final pictures.

B

I wish that were on my bookshelf!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 1:35 PM

Benzo,

Hey back. Nice club! :wink:

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 5:13 PM

Hey Ben,

The black back drop on that butt face shot sure is pretty...you should grab a few more of those type of shots before this guy goes out the door.

The logs look sweeeet Captain! My ma always use to tell me "if you pick something up and it's heavy, put it down"...You need to build yourself a hot tub to soak in....it will help the ole back.

Nice Patu, Ben.

Way nice Ben, superb as always.

B

BlowFish, thanks, Come and Get it and you got it! I can build myself another one. (Shelf, that is!) :lol:

GMAN, Thanks back and thanks for the call today :) .

Babalu, thank You too, I Did get some pix on the black. The red Mahogab=ny logs Are Sweet, I Must thank Aloha Station again for turning us on to those. The old growth Florida Mahogany is hard to find anymore.

BK and Cheeky, Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comps!

Here is a little sumthin I did today for Flat Earth Trading Co., their logo in a pendant looking Old.

C

Ah...another post by my buddy Ben. Would it be too much bother to post something new
every day...even some old stuff that you dug out of the box...anything...just so I can get
my daily Benzart fix.
Anything else you're working on?

B

Yo Conga,
Yeah, I can start revisiting some of the older pices andmaybe give you one a day, after all most of those old links were disconnected by Shutterfly years ago and they are lost to the world, bUT, I still have the pic's so I'll See. Anything for you, you old fart!

B

nice "logo translation to wood", doc.

Ben

I think the only way to keep from pouting when giving up a piece you just carved, is to take a MILLION pictures!
That's probobly how you got to be so good at your tiki photography.

F

Ben, great work as always. And that club...my god, what can I say that wasn't already said? You're amazing!

B
Bete posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 3:24 PM

The club turned out so cool, looks fantastic!

[ Edited by: Bete 2007-10-04 15:25 ]

R
Robin posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 3:47 PM

Hey Ben...nice little logo/pendant there.

B

Thanks everyone for the kind words and comps and stuff. I have really been feeling Under the weather the past week and haven't been able to get much done or even be around here that much. It looks like you have all gotten along well without me so I'll take my time getting better!
Now Get to work you slackers!!! I want to see Tikis done when I get back into the swing of things. Huphuphp!!!

I never posted over here to tell how nice that club and stand turned out. Beautiful work.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

T

Your club is really nice, awesome job.

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:35 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 8:01 PM

Hey Ben,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. Hopefully it will pass quickly and you can get back to the toolz. TC needs you back, back working your magic and inspiring all the rest of us to try to do better.

Ohana - please send Ben some encouraging words. He needs us now.

-G

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies