Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

B

Thanks Kahu. I sort of did away with the list a long time ago because it was acting like a ball and chain. I started feeling guilty If I started a carving that was not for the next person on the list. Sometimes I felt like doing a Big piece or a small one or a this or a that other one besides the list. It really affected my work so I said No more list but people Still requested carvings so What was I to do? I guess I will start a list and if you want a piece, state about what you want and the size and the date you entered it. I think I will start a "BenZarts List:" Thread,, Only for requests to join the list. That way I won't have people in one of a dozen places, there will Only be one list for everyone to see so you can keep check of a possible completion date (theoretically speaking) of your piece.
How does this sound, Fair? Maybe it will work?
Of course this is under the assumption that there will be enough people to create such a list, What do you think??
Hodad, Pony? YEars ago I did THESE in Pewter!

Should I??

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 9:40 PM

I like that, a list to get on the list. LOL

But really, you need to do what is best for you.

And, I can see your point about being held back somewhat by a list.

I always thought, it would be cool to have someone do a fat happy cannibal tiki with his hands on his belly, and it would show the eaten tiki in his belly between his hands. Not sure if you could do that as a necklace or not. Or if it would have to be a small tiki?

But for me, that would be a great tiki I would be very proud to own from Benzart.

But I do love the Moai. And your maori tikis also. Decisions, decisions.

On 2008-04-22 16:48, Benzart wrote:

Heres Tamas Swap Piece Hangin' 'round!

*Eh? Now theres a spooky thing: somehow on it's journey to the States this Tiki has changed its pose - I never tilt the head to the right and/or place the hands in that position...
check the swap-thread: (at bottom of page) - must be something to do with crossing the equator..? doo-doo-doo-doooooh.. :o :o :o

T :wink:

HOK

On 2008-04-22 16:48, Benzart wrote:

Aloha Ben! Loving your work! Is that a piece of Koa on the right? Mahalo for posting :) Freddie

B

"*Eh? Now theres a spooky thing: somehow on it's journey to the States this Tiki has changed its pose - I never tilt the head to the right and/or place the hands in that position... " Said Tama

My you have good eyes to pick that up sir! It seems that when crossing the Equator, SOME Magical Tiki have a once in a lifetime chance to turn their lives around and once the decision is made there is no going back as the change is Permanent. The question IS, was this a change to the pure, good side, or the evil and Malicious side? Do do do doo, doo do doo do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha and Ku, Yes that Is a Koa log sent to me from Gecko to change into a Lono, which will be happening over the next few weeks!!

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-04-23 03:30 ]

HOK

On 2008-04-23 03:27, Benzart wrote:

Aloha and Ku, Yes that Is a Koa log sent to me from Gecko to change into a Lono, which will be happening over the next few weeks!!

:lol: I thought that looked familiar! I found that for him at the Kamehameha Swapmeet awhile ago and was always wondering how the grain looked. Happy Happy :) Can't wait to see it emerge. Aloha, Freddie

B

Woah, What a Cool Connection! I Love it when these things come about it makes it Special.
Thanks.

B

Her are some quick shots for today.
It's Hard to work with these guys looking over your shoulder all day long. I can hear them all asking why it isn't their turn. Always telling me "A Little more off the top"! :lol:

Thats all the rough out now to clean him up..

On 2008-04-22 20:33, Benzart wrote:
Hodad, Pony? YEars ago I did THESE in Pewter!

Um, those are fabulous Ben, but I wanted you to buy me a quarter keg of Port Saint Lucie Port. And you can't fool me... Over half those pony's are zebras!

Please put me on the list to be put on the list if such a list is ever created. Theoretically speaking, whatever you dig carving, big or small, as long as it makes you smile, that's what I want. No stress.

Remember the Oki Oki lottery where you could buy a ticket to register to win a chance to be chosen to possibly recieve a something-or-other? lol!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-04-23 15:57 ]

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 6:17 PM

On 2008-04-23 15:15, Benzart wrote:

Tiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiii!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 6:51 PM

On 2008-04-23 15:15, Benzart wrote:
Her are some quick shots for today.
It's Hard to work with these guys looking over your shoulder all day long. I can hear them all asking why it isn't their turn. Always telling me "A Little more off the top"! :lol:

Thats all the rough out now to clean him up..

Best group of Benz shots I've seen all year, and good enough to take through to the next page. Hmm....Lonos, moai, moai kavakava (YES!), and a...umm....?

You don't know how happy it makes me to see you whacking into some decent logs again (not that those little fellas are chopped liver) and bustin out the chizzles! I take it that you're feeling refreshed after your recent cruise?
:) :) :) (Happy x 3)

Ditto what Paipo sez, Always a real treat to see so many things going on at
once. And a ditto-Yes! to the thought of a Benzart Kava Kava.
Keep having fun.

Did you throw in that kavakava as a teaser??? I really like the rough out with the smiley face! Keep up the awesome work BENZ!!!

H

Benz you always were, are, and will be the best carver ever. :tiki:

S

Im koo koo for that curly lono!

B

Whoa Master B! Things are really smokin' in your shop lately! Your back in a big way huh! More, more...

Glad you had fun on your trip. That Tamma piece rocks!!

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 7:42 PM

ohh boy!!!!

Thanks for all the overall pics that i asked for Benz!!

you've made us all a bit giddy with excitement i think. I dont know which one I want to look at first! So much to learn from in each pic. So many tools and attachments too - I'm jealous!!!

Just do a little bit on each one as they tell you - dont disobey them ok :lol:

B

Hodad, How could I be so Slow, Of Course, Doh, a Keg, Doh. :lol:

Kahu, Thanks for the Drool! :) That says it all.

Paipo, what, you don't like my HappyHappy Tiki?? :lol: Thanks. Yes I am a bit charged up and it's about time too. I'm lookin forward to finishing all these guys plus more. And Yes it feels good to be using the chizzels, though I can feel I've been away from them. They really take a Lot of energy.

Thanks Conga. Glad you like nthat Kavakava guy as he will probably never see another tool. He is in Zebra wood and is tough as nails. But who nose? :) :) Thanks

T-Freak, Thanks, Glad you like the Kavakava guy,,See Above :lol:

Hiltiki, Seeks and Babalu, Thanks for the Props, I need'em All..

Harro, Thanks to you too I seem to not have a choice they Make me work on'em all! :)

Heres a few updates fropm today. You can't really see much on Curly, but look for the lighter red to see the new layers. This Mahogany sort of Rusts after it is exposed to the air for a few days.

??????

Whats This??

A Giant piece of Bass wood, Man this cuts like Butter. That Conga guy ain't no Dummy!

Wow Benz...
Looking at the little guy on the big one - all that detail - it was like... Fractal Tiki!

Just keep zooming in closer, it never ends...

Way cool.

Now where do you go and get a big piece of Basswood like that??!!
...awesome.

B

Thanks SwankyMonkey, glad you Like!

Surfin, I bought this 6 ft bass wood timber from a member of a wood carving club who brought it down from Wisconsin to cut up into small pieces and sell. It started off as an 8 ft X1'X1' and he insisted on taking 2' off so I only got 6 ft. The Funny part is that he brought it down from Wi and I will carve it into a Lono and ship it BACK to Wisconsin to a crazy wood carver up there who you might have heard of, calls himself Conga tiki. Al that is IF he still wants it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If he still wants it!
:) :) :)

S

That curly is most excellent Benz. So much detail.

good morning ben your work is always a marster piece. it keeps me inspired keep up the good work my friend

Score for Conga!! Wow, carving club that delivers. Nice. Ohhhh, make some magic out of that beast!

H

THIS is the stuff that rocks the tiki world---Benzart style! I love it! You are without a doubt the master of the ornate, curly, swurvy head-dress style! (not to mention master of many other aspects of the genre) Signature BenZart all the way! Schweeeeeeeet!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 27, 2008 7:53 PM

Ahh Yeah! That's the good stuff Benzo! Boy is it nice to see those fellas again. I love that curly guy....and all the rest. I see the Koa feller too! Thanks for making me smile tonight!

-G$

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:13 AM

Ummmmm Benz,

It is another masterpiece. The spinal sort of bamboo quality and the curls on the head dress lends such life to this carving... the wood looks like it's flexible. Not easy to make a static object look like it's in motion, or about to be.

Hats off Benz.

B

Thanks Conga I guess you WERE Listening :lol:
Seeks Thanks again
Marcus, Thanks, nice to see you home and posting again. No more Roaming the world for awhile?
Surfin, yeah got some magic coming up for this beast I can FEEL it! Thanks
Howland, Thanks for the props on this guy, he does have some Pure Benzart stuff in'em, I've certainly taken long enough to do him!
GMAN Thanks for the kind words and I'm Happy you smiled tonight, Hope this finds you feeling better. See you soon?
Thanks Robin, yes the wood WAS flexible when I first started and thats how I bent it into that shape :lol: Actually I think it Came bent that way.
No Work today, just Doctors and starting a THIRD round of antibiotics trying to lose this cold/flu crud that won't go away! Soon though.

Wonderful detail Ben, as always!

Don't stress the cold/flu/crud. I was down with it for about the last 2 weeks. Finally shook it this week. It's been all over the country and last year's shots didn't do a thing to prevent it.

At least its warm by you! Our high temp today was 38 degrees!

J

:) Curly is looking great!

T

I don't have anything like it, I've been wanting one and Yours is just the one I want. Just got my newest copy of Tiki MAgazine. The inside cover is one of the most exciting pages there was.

B

Lake, Thanks It's getting better now I think. Thanks for the props.

Johnny, Thanks :lol:

TeAkEy Thanks to you too. I haven't received my TikiMag yet but I'll be Lookin for sure.
Maybe One of theze days!

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 7:00 PM

hope you are 100% ben for your chop this weekend. I'm envious of all the lucky peeps that get to hang out with you and learn from each other.

and whats teakey talking about in tikimag?

B

I don't know what teaKEY is up to or on about in Tiki Mag yet, I have not received my copy yet, so if someone has it, bring it along!.

I got it! I don't want to spoil it, but I believe he is talking about the inside of the front cover bottom right hand corner!

B

Still don't have it T-freak but I'll get it one of these days.
Here's a look at the curly guy plus more shots of the shop, benches and stuff.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-05-02 21:04 ]

Amazing work, as always, ben. You are a true inspiration. I wish I lived closer, I'd love to be at the chop with ya today!

PS- only one tiki going on in your shop? you must be hiding some!!!! :wink:
great looking workspace- thanks for sharing!

Love to see the picture of your garage! We finally have a garage and now I know what we can do with it!

B

Thanks Poly', Yeah Only one tiki going on, :lol: :lol:, Wish you could've been here too we had a great time.

Thanks Sparklegem, post pix of Your Garage when you get it done?

My garage doesn't quite look the same yet but it's getting there. The Chop was great but there was more partying than chopping. I guess it's been SO Long since any of us got together there just wasn't the same time for chopping as making fun. Next time though.
Sherry and I are off to Alabama tomorrow morning till Saturday so I'm afraid Benzarts shop will be shut down for a few days, but I'll be checking in from Birmingham!

B
Bete posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 2:57 PM

Cool pictures Ben!
Cruise looked fun.
Great looking tikis you are working on!
Nice workshop pictures too!

B
Bete posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 3:17 PM

P.S. I read that you may be starting a new request list, so if so, I remember you did a really cool green jade Lono men's pendant necklace in a past thread, if you are interested in doing something cool like that again in the future (or a cool looking Ku pendant necklace), please keep me in mind and please email me a quote. I really like Lonos (as you know) and also like Kus, I guess I really like detailed, cool, unusual looking pieces like that. And again, you seriously create just absolutely amazing and beautifully detailed art pieces. In my opinion, your current curly Lonos may look end up looking like fine art masteropieces when you're done, as your attention to the detail work on the headress is something that makes the piece look just unbelieveably awesome.

On 2008-05-09 15:17, Bete wrote:
P.S. I read that you may be starting a new request list, so if so, I remember you did a really cool green jade Lono men's pendant necklace in a past thread..

*You need hooking up with some of that green-stuff B? Gimme a call.. :wink:

T :)

B

Bete, Thanks for the comps

Bete, thanks Again fro the very inspiring words that now I must live up to! I will let you know on the green stuff.

Tama, thanks, You are an Instigator!! Of course I need green stuff, I haven't carved the last batch you sent but you know how it is with collecting work supplies :lol:?
I Feel some stone and jade carving very soon in my future.

We have local brush fires and I am Unable to be out in my garage for more than a few minutes so it looks like no work today. I'm having a hard enough time breathing as it is with this Copd crap, It is even smoky in the house and thats not good.
Here are some photos from yesterday. I worked on the Curly lono tho you probably can't see it.

Here is the work bench I picked up yesterday along with Some of the included tools. Classified Ad Bargain for $125 including the tools.

Still many more tools not shown.

Benz! What are the things in the bottom right photo? Sanding discs for stone?

B

They are called Bright Boys and are for metal but will work on stone too!

L
Loki posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 7:36 AM

Well, it's official...you are Not going to get the truck in the garage now. Nice score Ben and the lono is getting closer. Hope the winds shift soon for you. I know you are getting it worse than us, and its nasty for me, I cant imagine how bad it is at your place.

J

Wow, I guess it's a good thing my trip wasn't a week later! Sorry to hear about all the smoke. I hope you and Sherry stay safe. I guess we can expect to see a lot of you in Shout today since you can't go out to play. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies