Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

Gotta have the peeper cheaters when your working on small stuff. Those glasses remind me of some of the glasses that surgeons wear when doing fine work on vessels of the heart, etc. Those surgical glasses not only magnify the vision of physicians and technicians during medical procedures, they also help to ensure correct posture and reduce neck and eye fatigue. The use of magnification glasses results in improved care for patients and increased comfort for medical personnel...so Ben you are also giving tender loving care to your creations (as well as your eyes and body).

B

Thanks Vamp!, Yes I feel the difference, both from not Hunching down over the bench, all scrunched up and distorted and not getting the bur spray in my face and eyes. And yes the Patient also benefits :).
These are "China Cheap" versions of the surgical Binocular Loupes and came from an eBay Dental supply store. I would Love a pair of the Zeiss ones but at 3000$ they just were not in my budget! :lol:

It is nice to be back home and have a little time to check out Tiki Central again, I miss everybody.
You have been pretty busy yourself I see from browsing through your pages, are you going to go back to doing some more big stuff? not that anything wrong with your small stuff they are great, but bigger is better in tiki I guess I am really hooked on the big stuff now from all my work in Hawaii although on my return home I completed a small job myself. - I can post some pictures this week of my work over there, now that the mag is out and I am looking forward to getting my copy of Tiki Magazine, do you have one yet? Hope you are well take care my friend.

I just wear glasses to look like a Shag character.

B

Thanks Marcus for the kind words. No I haven't received mt copy of the Tiki Mag yet, the East coast takes a bit longer than the west coast but I will let you know . I don't have any big stuff planned as it seems difficult to finish the ones I have going but Hopefully soon I will be able to crank a couple out.
What I've seen of your Hawaiian ones are just plain Incredible. Thanks again for your props and kind words! :)

Hodad, I Wondered why yo looked so Shaggish. So it's the Glasses, COOL! You should be getting a little package soon? Thanks for stopping by. :D :P

B

We got back from Alabama Sunday after 15 hours driving in almost solid rain and glad to be home. I found this guy roughed out in my "box of 80" and I can see why he was there as I have just recently gotten the tools to actually work on him. What was I thiking way back then, at least a couple years?

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-12-02 08:36 ]

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Dec 2, 2008 5:44 PM

YAY!!! Stomp , stomp, stomp....holler...long whistle. Another loooong whistle. Hot diggity, diggity, diggity!!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 2, 2008 6:01 PM

On 2008-12-02 17:44, Babalu wrote:
YAY!!! Stomp , stomp, stomp....holler...long whistle. Another loooong whistle. Hot diggity, diggity, diggity!!

Yup, what he said :lol:

B

Kind of small stuff I love ! Happy happy happy.

That Maple must be some kind of magical wood. The size you carve is crazy small and you're going to put even smaller lines on it?? Are you using a blade or rotary tools? When I carve that small it seems I'm just removing hairs. Bone I can understand, but wood has grain - what's the secret?

S

Nice Benz little gems to pull out of the hat.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 3, 2008 10:11 AM

C'mon.....Iz that fer midgetz?

Ben, I got the Motts!

Looks like this is going to be a indoor pendant winter! My hands thank you... lol.

I'll finish the two roughs as tutorials and post my miserable progress for your amusment.

Mahalo nui loa my friend. -Hodaddy

So what are these tools you're gonna use there Benzy? Send 'em over so I can inspect 'em! :wink:

Dude!

Does any body else see that the lines that make up this moko are about the same size as his FINGERPRINTS????
You must have the steadiest hands in the world!!!

So should I PM you my address or what?

Can't wait to see what's next!

J

Alright, you wet our appetite with this little tidbit, but then stop. And yes I did notice the facial detail is smaller than Ben's fingerprints.
Ben, you'll have to show how you can hold the work and the handpiece so steady. It is a mystery to me.

TD

Cant wait to see how this guy turns out Benz
real nice color too

Let's see some UPDATES~!

It's the last thing you see on the way out:

Like the exclamation point!!!!

Speaking of "Out"
Buzzy Out!

You ARE the master Benz - wow - looking forward to seeing this beauty finished.

The head form is near perfection - if I could see closer - I may even be able to say it IS perfection :)

KS

C

So? update already! :)! Great start!

T

On 2008-12-02 08:30, Benzart wrote:
We got back from Alabama Sunday after 15 hours driving in almost solid rain and glad to be home. I found this guy roughed out in my "box of 80" and I can see why he was there as I have just recently gotten the tools to actually work on him. What was I thiking way back then, at least a couple years?

Yeah, that's tiny for sure! So just what kind of tools are you going to use to finish him?

Benz,
Your work is inspiring. Lots of care going into your stuff, obviously.
Humbled
dr.

B

WOW, Another Age ago since I've been here it seems. Went thru a spell of not being very well but am feeling better, thanks everyone for keeping me on the page..

Babbs, Hope you are Still Stompin, hollerin and whistling too. Later! THANKS

Hewey, You too,, Say Hey to Marcus and Li :P

Ben, thanks, you always Did like the tiny pieces!

Aloha, Thanks, Yes the Maple IS a Magical wood to carve. It will take very fine detail. It has a tight fine grain and is Super workable with both power and hand tools. This has been much of both but when I get to the facial markings I think it will have to be the burner with a very fine tip. Hopefully it works out.

Thanks Seeks, out of the hat OR back in, we'll see!

GMANG, Where 'ya been? :D Yea it's for the little peeps!

Hodaddy, Thanks for the heads-up, hope you enjoy the stuff and I Promise not to laff especially since you have really put super moves in the skills department. I Love watching your progress.

Seeks, You mean my Secret toolz? You'll have to come on down here to see them first hand! :lol:

Tyler, Thanks, you can PM me your addy if you want to, but don't wait up for this guy :) Thanksss though. Great idea too, I'll have to see if there is a way to transfer my fingerprints, Hmmmm! Cool

Johnny, Thanks, Yeah, I'll have to show you again, You remember my workbench with the "Bench dog" sticking out from the top? its about 3" wide and sticks out about 8" from the top of the bench towards me when I'm sitting there. I have glued a rubber strip to the top to help keep the piece fro sliding around. I hold it in my left hand/fingers. I Also have a small beanbag that helps. Aside from that, I spend a good bit of time chasing it around on the floor as it seems to want to Fly! Its just something you get used to I guess.

Thanks Dudley, soon I'll be back on it.

BUZZY!

Looks like your Brother there, Thanks for the photoz, cool. Yeah, You're OUT There all right, I think you have been around C'Al too much and he's rubbing off on'ya :D :P :lol:

Shaman :) Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words too even if they are stretched a bit.

Clarita? That you? Soon you will get an update, stay tuned, Thanks.

Hey BigT Thanks. With my next update I will also show you the tools I'm using on this guy as well as the other tiny stuff. Check back soon :P

DrGoat, Whats up doc? Thanks for the kind words I'm happy it is inspiring, I'll be back at it soon.

HAppyhappyHappy.

Tomorrow I plan on working more of this guys secrets to find out what he has been hiding from us all. Thanks again to Everyone.

ALSO, I got a COOL Package from The Hawaiian Paradise land of the GECKO. The Gecko/Benzart Volcano/Moai Bowl and I will post pic's tomorrow too!

B

AS Promised Here I will post pictures of the Benzart/Gecko Thick-Hot Lava Moai Bowl. I apologize but there will be a few photos.
First the Little guy, Here are all the burs I used ion him. There may be 1 or 2 more but basically this izzit. The first shot, he's sitting om a little bean bag which sometimes helps keep these little guys from jumping away.

Next, here are most of the small Dental burs that I'm using on these small guys. They are 1/16th" and 3/32 but most are 3/4 to one inch long. There are some normal sizes They are pretty cheap too on eBay, look for the dental tools and supply.

And of COURSEE there is a Fine bladed Hook Knife and the magnifier Glasse here.

Next some shots of the Holding procedure. You might be able to see that I'm holding the guy with 2 left fingers being supported on that bench dog or beanbag. What you might overlook is the hand which holds the handpiece also has a finger (ring finger usually)sticking out and pressing against the piece too. SO Between the bench dog, beanbag and 3 fingers he stays pretty steady and you can constantly be moving him around as needed:

NEXT What you have been waiting for, seen briefly a few times in fleeting shots: The Gecko/Benzart Thick Lava Bowl with the expensive ,fancy glaze. Next week or so Geck should have some on his ebay site but with the more reasonable glazes.

Well thats enough for now, it's only taken me 4 hours. Cheers.

B

Ooooh that Maori is just the coolest!! And that bowl...dang, that Gecko/Benz bowl is just awesome!!

Happy, happy, and way more happy!!!

That HULA GIRL needs to see a dentist!

Nasty overbite!!

Did you shape that hook knife yourself? I likee!!

Benz!!
the Bowl is awsome! really really cool!
and that new face is Crazy Small!!
looks great, ben. cant wait to see what you do with the eyes

J

Ohhhh. Thanks for the tour of the technique for holding these really small pieces. Very informative.

When is the Gecko /Benzo bowl available, that is a must have!

B

Wow, Thanks Babbs, by the way you are jumpin' up and down and shoutin; and carryin' on, you'd think you were getting this guy for Christmas or sumpthin'??

Thanks Other Ben, Oh she's Already Been to the Dentist and her smile is Beautiful now, you should'a seen her Before? :P :D :lol:

Thanks Tom, No, I didn't shapt this hook blade but probably could after seeing this one. I got it at the local woodcarvers club annual show and it's made by John Dunkle Knives.His stuff is available at Many woodcarving tool suppliers but probably not this model You can call him at 419-494-5948. It's a very fine blade and sharpens on a Flat surface, Unlike the normal hook. When you come up I'll explain. I only use it for the finest detail which is this little guy.

T-Duddy, Thanks, The Eyes are an Ongoing thought process and this resolution is only one choice I have so is not final yet.

Johnny, Thanks, I really hope these "Lessons" do help.
The Bowl should be available with a much less expensive glaze by next week on Gecko's eBay site. When they do become available I will post it so anyone who is interested can check it out. Thanks John!

Here is Yesterdays update, what there is of it. The eyes currently are 3.5mm pearls, inserted from holes drilled into the back. After drilling the smaller pilot holes on the front (which will end up being the eye-lid opening, so must be smaller than the eyeball), all the way through, I used a 3.5mm round nosed cylinder burr to drill the eye-socket from the back, taking great care(much praying here too)not to drill all the way through and to stop just short of going through. The right eye is still not quite as dee as the left so needs more, Plus, I Think I may need a bit larger eyeball, we'll see. Enjoy!

Incredible.

The pearl eyes rock, Ben. Gives it an extra sense of Personality!
Very VERY cool, Benz!!

Very cool. Detail is great. I am gonna want one of those bowls as well. Keep us informed when they become available

T

Wow and Wow! The detail in this small piece is just baffling. I love the realism in your work too.

Big thanks for taking the time to share the tools and techniques as well. As always Ben, you rule!

Wow Benz, this guy is getting more amazing every time you show us your progress and i'm sure he will be top 'o the line when he's finished.
And thanks for giving all those useful tips.
Mahalo,
Pat

H
harro posted on Sat, Dec 13, 2008 1:50 PM

wow that lil guy is incredible Ben!! I have trouble just focussing on it, imagine how hard it must be to hold it and attack it with sharp and dangerous tools!!!

love the moai bowl too - another classic collectible sure to quickly disappear.

B

Thanks Tiki Dud,
The eyes are temporary zi found the pearls were plastic

Thanks Tucson , will do! :lol:

Big T, WOW, Thanks for all the kind words too.

Thanks Grapa-RuHa, Any time you need answers you can Always come here first for some. They may not be correct but they will work.

Harro, Welcome back to my thread, Glad you like whats goin on!

I have a small update today on the small guy. The local medical clinic wanted to hospitalize me today and made the mistake of leaving it up to decide when and Of course I'm sayin' tomorrow. Seems they think I have Pneumonia. Told 'em I can't go til this guy is done

B

Ben,

This guy is looking just over the top stunning!! But get in there and get yourself better! This guy will be right where you left him when you get home. No work of art is worth risking your health over.

TC needs you at 100% Go get fixed up and get back quick brother.

Thanks Benz, another amazing update.
But please listen to Babalu and get yourself looked after. Pneumonia can turn real nasty if not looked after. Get well soon

B

Thanks for sharing this beauty instead of being hospitalyzed.
Take care of you my friend and come back healthier to carve tons more masterpieces.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

C

Hey it's done! it's totally perfect like this half and half, don't you see it? it's metaphorically beautiful!!
go take this little vacation, maybe you can take some inspiring music with you and prepare some amazing new ideas that will blow our minds even more...! oh i hope i'm not creating a monster here :) I'm a little afraid actually :) but i'm willing to take the risk, go on i'll take it!! :)
All the greatest energy from the south for you my friend!!

get well soon benz, and thanks for inspiring us all with your amazing work!

Get well soon old Master, us young-uns need you to show the way.
Ben sick = sad sad sad.

H

Ben, get well quickly and come back to us. We don't like it here without you.

P

Ben, Ben, Ben...listen to those guyz - we can wait a little longer for our fix if it means you're happy and healthy. Maybe they'll let you take your hook knife and wood burner into the hospital? Get better soon my friend.

B

Thanks Everyone, Looks like I don't have to go to the Hospital at least not yet. The second x-ray showed some pneumonia but the Doc's at the Walk-in clinic said I seemed to be responding to the meds they gave me so to play it by ear. So it Looks like I'll be around awhile longer..
Babalu Thanks
Grapa-RuHa you too
Benella You Also
Clarita (my sunshine!) you too, even when you are being risky.
Hala Bulhiki Thankss too,
CongaTIKI, Of course you too
Hiltiki thanks
Paipo, yes you too and No I doubt they allow tools, Especially Those ones so I'm Not going.

:) Whatever it takes for you to be healthy!healthy!healthy! Benz and we'll be happy!happy!happy! :)

***************************** :tiki: Get Well Soon! :tiki:*****************************

That new little fellar is TOP NOTCH,Ben!
PLEASE take care of yourself...
we want our Benz around for at least 50-60 more years!
I can't even imagine what your work would be like then!
BOI-YOI-YOING!

Enough of that sick stuff, what dosent kill you makes you stronger, so fight it down! We do love your stuff, and how right on the numbers you are in commenting on other folks work, new or old! Where would this site be without you, we all hate to think of it!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies