Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

T

Well Benz, she is looking great. :D Are you doing her eye lashes with color? :lol: And how about a little color on those nice lips? Did you use a photo or was this just out of that head of yours? Did Sherry pose for you? Is this made out of bone? Oh yeah right, that's why someone mentioned calling her the Bona Lisa. :lol: Good one, I like that. :lol: :lol: Well is #96 really your first girl? I'll be back to see the final project. And make sure you don't throw her in that damn box 80 or what ever you called it.. Now get some rest, so I can drive you crazy tomorrow too!

AHHHHHHH BONA LISA! Nice. nice.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2009 5:45 PM

bah, all your worrying, and she came out sweet, just as WE all knew she would :D Nice work mate

J

whaoo, that is something out of the box and a surprize, even from you.

JP

B

Thanks again TPaka, hopefully she turns out as sweet as you think she will.

Babalu, were you thinking Bona Lisa when you posted that pic? or just that she's that nice looking. I think you need glasses :lol: Thanks for the thousand words!
Conga, thanks but I think she's a bit young for you and me!

Paipo, Thanks, you guys Are Crazy and yes I'm sure it's the Ancients messing around again. Those old ghosts sure love to have their fun hey?
TPak again, hanks, I might add to the lashes and lips not sure yet though. Yes I used a photo from google and yes she is Bone, Also Boneheaded and stubborn, and she is my "First girl" other than a lady riding a whale.

Thanks Surfin :)

Hewey,With women you just never know how they will turn out,, Thanks!

Johnny, thanks for the kind words, surprising to me, Yes.

I guess she will be the final page of this 100 pages so loo afo a new thread coming Soon!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 5:43 AM

she lookee like the Mona Lisa, Mang.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 8:57 AM

She looks great benz!
A little on the pale side though. :)

Are you going to try another?

T

She looks great benz!
A little on the pale side though.

Are you going to try another?

Hey Benz, Bowana has something here. She needs a little tan on her to look like she's spent some time out in the sun. :D :D That would give her wrinkles for sure. :lol:

Hey Benz,
Happy new year. I see you are off to a flying start and she turned out great.
Glad she didn't end up in your box 'o misfits.
I got some bone I'm cleaning so i can give that a try after the stone but my first try won't be a female face.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for your new thread

B

Thanks GMAN, Maybe without your glasses :lol:

Thanks Bo, funny you should say that as she has been soaking in tea for several hours now;

Thanks TPak, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I know..:)

Thanks G-Ruha, Yeah I managed to keep heer out of the box.
Check the Big box pet stores for cow bone,4", cleaned and dried for 1 buck 99, Beautiful stuff and is The standard in carving stock.

I must have heard you guys a few hours before your posts and she is almost done at the tanning salon. Thanks

B

OK, here she is after the tanning studio, I think a bit blotchy but that's what bone does.

OOOOPPS, Where did she come from?? But I kinda like the old gal. I think she must be a bag lady?

H

Ben, this piece has a very vintage 1920's kind of a feel to it, it looks great. Is this your first female carving in a while?

T

Hi Ben - Your new little lady is beautiful, and I agree that she needs a bit more color.

Tea is good but I understand that the "tea stain" can wash/weather out with exposure to water/sweat. There is a bone carver in New Zealand (Norm Clark) who, I understand, uses a method in which the bone is "smoked" with fish and that stain doesn't wash out. I don't know any details about his method but perhaps someone reading this thread will know. I've also heard of others who use smoking with incense but I don't know anything at all about that method.

T

Babalu was right. She DOES have a very Mona Lisa like expression! :)

B

Thanks Hiltiki, it is for a long while . the first was the whale rider which i did not design and the girl looked Ugly. I did another one Just as bad. So I was really scared to do this one which is why I opted for the larger face, Thanks.

Timid tiki, Thanks, yes the tea comes off pretty quickly and she has pitting which makes the color splotchy. Now today I had to Alter something and I guess I wait and see whon sees what I did.

Big T
Thanks for the kind words, The Ancients playing around again. :P

Well I was adding color and dropped the thing on the cement floor so I must begin another one right away or repair the break and Paka can decide which she wants
Here4s a current photo

Still needs more tan and will get it tomorrow

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-09 19:19 ]

S

Nice Benz alittle different subject.

I would have been a happy sailor had i
found her 20 years ago.

B

Ha, Seeks, you would be happy to find her TODAY! Thanks, I appreciaste that.

B

First masterpiece of 2009 !

Happy new year.

Benjamin.

B

Thanks Ben :)

B

Well I just did Not like the color. No matter what I did it just kept getting worse instead of better so she starts again. Here are a couple progress shots and I think I even like her more so far.

T

done.

It,s a daring decision to take color/paint off, but it made her more beautiful for sure.
Did you do her hair as well? You might have a hairdresser hidden inside you :)
I would not mind a girl like that hanging round my neck.

Wow Benz, she looks beautiful. I don't know why but with the colors off, the hair even looks much more detailed. Did you go carve it more? Me Likeeeeee :) She's beautiful. Thanks to the master! :D :D :D

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 11, 2009 6:56 PM

Looks much better without the paint :D Nice work

B

TeKEY, Almost done or I should say NOW Done Thnaks

Grapa Ruha you bet and very scary too,, no hidden hairdresser here but I did give her a complete work-over and re-do including her hair. Just figured I would keep grinding until there was nothing left if that's what it took. Glad you Likeee

T-Pak, Thanks, I an Very glad you like her like this.
She is a Much Sweeter lady now!

HEWEY, how goes it? Thanks for the kind words.

This is the final update, tomorrow she travels to the Frozen North Country of Northern New Yawk.. Heres a few pichers

B

TeKEY, Almost done or I should say NOW Done Thnaks

Grapa Ruha you bet and very scary too,, no hidden hairdresser here but I did give her a complete work-over and re-do including her hair. Just figured I would keep grinding until there was nothing left if that's what it took. Glad you Likeee

T-Pak, Thanks, I an Very glad you like her like this.
She is a Much Sweeter lady now!

HEWEY, how goes it? Thanks for the kind words.

This is the final update, tomorrow she travels to the Frozen North Country of Northern New Yawk.. Heres a few pichers

Wow! You're saying that's the same one that had the coloring on it? The whole face slimmed down, hair changed, and all?! Amazing transformation! One would have to have your trained eye to be able to take what you felt was done at one point and make the kind of changes you did to find the right lady inside! I'm just damned impressed you kept at it where other folks (myself included) might have tossed her in a pile to look over another day when the mind was more ready to re-do it! That's why you are the one we all look up and aspire to! No kidding!

1. You just seem to continually amaze me Benz. :o :o Damn what a transformation! You'd be the man for sure! :lol: You just had to do what you do best and the hell will all the rest. :oops: :oops: From now on, don't let me tell you what to do. :lol: :lol: :blush: :blush:

Cause you know I know crapola about this stuff. :P

Well now you can put this one to rest and start that first 2009 piece that you know we'll all be waiting to see! Great job! Well done by the master! :wink:

Hat's off to you :tiki: and I'll have a :drink: now!

Yes, beautiful work Ben. It looks incredible with just the faint color
on the flower. You Da Man.

Yes, beautiful work Ben. It looks incredible with just the faint color
on the flower. You Da Man.

B

Wow, Thanks Birdman, I Appreciate the kind words. Yes she had a bit of a transformation and I'm really Happy I took the time to listen to my heart and the Ancients tapping me on the shoulder to "Do it Right". For me, this is what carving is all about, solving the problems presented by something you start out to create and finishing to to your expectations. Believe me she almost landed in the dreaded "Box" a few times.

T-Pak,
Thanks for all that and for the prodding too, without it she would have been a long term Box dweller. Glad you like her!
Hopefully I can ship her out in the next few days or sooner. She doesn't seem to want to leave yet! :lol:

Who's Next??

B

Thanks Conga, How'd you sneak in there while I was trying to post that message which finally showed up seventeen times? You do That?
Thanks for the kind words

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-12 06:09 ]

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-12 06:07 ]

B

Heres a glass rock I've been grinding on for 2 days hoping it would end up,looking like a Maori chief and I think you can see him about now.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-12 19:24 ]

benz,man...your TOO GOOD!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 4:19 AM

Benno - you broke the curse of the lady face! Good on you! Wow. Super job man. She looks real good. and this new guy......he's looking mighty fierce.

Whooaaaa! :o
Cool, Ben!!
i really like the ear- it's not squished to the side of his head or rounded like the rock at all! it's perfect!

incredible work always

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-01-13 09:53 ]

Carving glass?? Who knew. Here I am looking for softer things to carve and you head in another direction with harder material. Looks great, by the way!

WOW Benz! He's already amazing! The various photos show many colors, it's hard to know how it REALLY looks! One of the shots looks like you can see skin cells! You didn't carve THOSE did you? HA
Of course now that I said that, you will. :roll:

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 4:44 PM

oh my gosh, wow. The Chief looks incredible! So strong! So much like those old Cameo carvings that I've always loved. The face just screams at me to carve some moko into it though! You just gave me about a billion things to look into and get carving on. :)

(I got a jewelers bench for xmas - I've only used it a few times, but I can get through much tougher wood a whole lot easier! Thanks again for letting me check out your bench! I'll get some pictures up in my thread soon)

B

TThomas Thanks and YOU'RE TOO KIND! :P

GMAN, Man I'll tell you what, it was almost like a curse too, I just finally decided to look deeper, beyond the color and unfinished sculpt and FINISH the darn thing and I'm happy I did, THANKS, Glad you like her!

Thanks Duddy, I Knew I had to work on my Ears too, because it seemed like my last pieces that could hear could Also Fly with their giant Ears, Glad you noticed and approve.

Thanks Aloha, these were what I thought were stones sold for fish tanks as they were in a close-out rack for 5o cents a bag with no label other than being in the fish department of Petco. A week later in another Pet store I saw the same product for sale with the lable "Glass rocks, Made in China" UGGGH :P
By then I had already done that first guy and knew it was some strange stuff, Shore'nuff.
Glad you like Thanks See'ya soon.

Surfin, You been surfin in that frigid water too long,, Of Course I added Every bit of that skin pore detail :o Now I just gotta figure out how I did it so I can do it all over. Thanks.

Mieko, Mieko, Thanks and Welcome. Great news about the Bench, it is Perfect for your style carving. Thanks for the kind words on this new guy and if I can inspire one little thing then I'm a Happy Guy, aBillion? ou better get busy! :D

C

the wahine ended up looking great, i like her much better now, more classy, nice! and the chief is already promising to be a great piece nice material too!

Great new fierce looking guy (protector of the wahine?), the pet store must be one of yer favorite hangouts. Stones made of glass from China. The way they react to light is amazing.

B

CLARITA!!! Thanks Much for the kind words you Always find.

Grapa-Ruha, Thanks, I guess he must be her protector, she seems safe and he's quiet just now.
Could because the Moko work wore him out
Here is todays update.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 1:52 PM

Is it really glass...or just a glass-like stone? I just shrunk that guy down to actual size and my mind is officially blown. Raising the bar again...and again...and again! I love the makeover you did on your little lady too...

B

Thanks Paipo, glad you like these 2 pieces. Yes it is glass, I didn't know when I bought it on clearance at first but saw it in another store later. "Glass Rocks, Made in CHINA" and you can actually see a bit of swirl mark where they drop the molten glob and twist it off, probably by machine at 50,000 a minute. Then they coat it with a clear resin, go figure.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 4:16 PM

that is great! Izzitt for me?

S

Dams Benz, how you do that i don't know.
Looks great love the white. Only #97?
Your a inspiration to all of us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies