Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

B

Very refined work, he looks like a real maori !
:) :) :)

Ben.

C

Wow! Amazing!!

B

Greetings, Before todays update, I don't know what happened to last nights post butI wrote longer than normal replies and all but 3 of them got lost and I apologize for that. I won't try to remake them just know I Really appreciate the time each of you takes to respond to my stuff and can't thank you enough for the kind words and Inspiration you all give so freely, THANKS!

Thanks TDuddy, that may change, you can never tell. :D

Jock, Thanks, glad you like him. (Who is Dangerous Dan?) :lol:

Ben, thanks for the kindness.

Clarita, Welcome back, Love to see you stopping around these parts :) Thanks.

S

This guy is so cool Benz I love your detail and the lines
you put on this fella. The light thing tops it off!

HOLY CRAP!!!!

TD

LOOKS GREAT!
i like the 5th and 6th pics. the light gives it that mysterious, powerful glow.
nice nice nice~!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 4:39 AM

Jeeze, Ben. Now you are starting to scare me.....or inspire me...I'm really not sure which? Maybe both? Ohhhhhhh he is looking so real. I do hope you decide to keep this guy for yourself and sell copies. I think casts of this fellow should hang on every TCer's neck. Long live the King! BenZart Rules!

-G$

H

Ben this is definitely one of the best pieces I have seen. I wish I could have a big one of these on the wall in my house with the light behind it.

B

Wow Benz, you really are taking things to the next level! I mean it isn't 'easy' to carve a simple fish hook out of bone, well not for me anyway... this is something that belongs in a museum!

TD

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2008-07-03 18:42 ]

B

Thanks Seeks, the Light does all the work I'm just along for the ridce.

Thanks T-Freak, I'm not sure about the Holy part. :lol:

TDuddy OK I guess I'll have to include the light with him. :)

GMAN, Thanks and I don't think you are scared, just blinded by the shiney. None of that King stuff either, the Ancients did it not me. :P

Thanks Hiltiki, nice to see you here!. Get me a piece of bone that big and I'll do you one that big and even include the light. :lol:

Thanks Blowfish, It's just something about working in bone that really connected with me and it really speaks to me. Museums? Now that would be nice some day. Nice seeing you here too!.

Here is todays update with most all the carving done and whats left is lots of clean up and finishing. Haven't decided if I'm gonna Paint him or stain him black or just how I'm going to finish him. Maybe a blood red Maori? :lol: :lol:
I'm open to suggestions, Varnish, lacquer, splatter paint???.

I'm not very happy with the pictures tonight either But There will be more.

TD

AMAZING
those new tiny tools look like they're being put to some good use!!
:D

K

Very beautiful both with and without the back lighting.

C

Just amazing detail and workmanship....nice work Ben! It's been a while since I've strolled around the carving section but man the quality in here is just great.

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 11:27 PM

Oh my gosh Ben - the moko came out incredible, he just jumped to a whole new level of amazingness - and he was already amazing!
Stain? I can't even imagine what he'd look like with stain on - but nothing too dark - the glowing with the backlight makes him really special.

Ben ,
stain may disappoint you . Maybe you could shape , moko , polish , and stain a test piece or two first.
Better safe than sorry eh ehoa .

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 4, 2008 9:35 AM

Now that takes the cake!....and the pie..... and all the leftovers.....

C

I do feel that is maybe the most incredible piece yet..wow!!!Capo

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 9:16 PM

Benz...this is just over the top! That one shot with the work backlit is something else. Every time you finish something I don't see how your going to be able to improve on it with the next...yet you do. Thanks for the BENZ fix!

outstanding benz!!

B

Thanks Duddy, the small toolz are Really helping.

Kountzyro( love your name!)Thanks for the props and Welcome to TC, glad to have you.

Clysdalle, Thanks for the kind words, I Know how hard it is to get over to the "Other" side of Creating tiki, there's just So much Awesome stuff there is never enough time to see it all in One side much less two!. Thanks!( my swap piece from you sits right over my computer!)

Mieko, THanks for the props, don't worry I won't color him too dark if I do at all. It was Great seeing you at Huki-lau btw!.

Jock,Thanks, no worrys mate as I wouldn't do anything that drastic to him without trying it on another piece first, I've put too much time into him to experiment too much with him.

GMAN, You looking for the Bakery? It's two doorz down. :lol:

Capotiki, Thanks for the heavy comps, Much appreciated. This piece IS a different route for me too and hopefully the beginning of good things. Thanks for stopping by too,been awhile!

Thanks Babs, I really appreciate those words especially from you, makes me feel like carving even More. :lol: Benz Fix hey?

Tikithomas, thanks for the sweet Comp and Welcome to the Bzart thread, I'm not sure but I believe this your first post here, Thanks and come again!

Thanks to Everyone who took the time to check out my latest stuff and leave a comment, your words are very much appreciated.
No work on the bone this Holiday weekend but a lot of thinking about it by me and also many of you and I appreciate all your suggestions some of which I may use. One, since he will be so prone to collecting dirt and crud in all his deep lines is to place him in a shadow box for display and protection. I'd love to do that and combine it with a back-light And yet maintain the ability to be worn as a necklace. Soon as I figure it out.....I'll let you all know, Thanks!

So sooth, so shiny, such detail - is there anything you can't carve?

Can't believe that was a cow bone. Unreal. Benz, what tool do you use for the smooth parts, is it sanding?

B

Thanks SNIKI-STEVE, Yeah, I Can't carve a Turkey for the life of me! Really I'm sure there are plenty things I would fail at carving. :lol:

Surfin Thanks, it starts out with sanding drums then the sanding mops and then hand sanding with the sponges then a small buffing wheel. You KNOW how I Love Hand sanding!

S
sar1 posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 9:37 PM

That is an amazing piece of work there Ben, it looks like that was an extremely dense piece of bone you started out with. Love your work keep them coming.

J

That could be your best yet! I've been peeking on this one as it has progressed, very inspiring.

B

Thanks Sari, Yes it was a Dense solid piece if beef bone from Pet Supermarket for $1.99and I still have half left. Thanks for stopping by, Come around again any time.

Johnny, Thanks for checking up on me, glad you like him.

I've been trying to fit him into a shadow/viewing box where he can rest when he's not being worn and I figured if I put him on as box, there may as well be a light behind it so here is the preliminary form an old Cuban Cigar box and a night light. We'll see how he turns out this way.

MR

Damn Ben! That is amazing!

WOW....
awesome! and that display case is a wonder to look at!
Reminds me of those night lights that are made out of scraping out the bisque at certain depths
to create lighter and darker hues......
Beautiful.....

B

You da man !

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 12:50 AM

You realise now you'll need to carve the outside of the box too, don't you?
OK, so you've conquered yet another medium, and made something better in your first few attempts than what most people achieve after years of trying - but what's next?

Suggestions:

• Soft stone (limestone,marble)
  • Ceramics/Clay
  • Bronze
  • Glass
TD

Lookin GOOD! that's REAL nice!
great idea

H

That looks REALLY cool! I agree with Paipo--you should carve the box now. Show us more pics of it, maybe in the dark.

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 9:55 PM

That is a damn cool piece, Benz! Your work continues to astound and amaze!

Lordy!

B

Thanks Matt, Long time, Whats new with you?

LLT, Thanks, I appreciate your kind words, Seeing you at Hukilau was GREAT, having your art is Better even.

Ben, Thanks.

Paipo, you just Had to bring that up didn't you, THANKS! Conquering mediums, I just had a bunch of stuff around here begging to be carved? :lol: I can't tell whats next! Thanks

T-Duddy, thanks, I figure this way I can still cord it and display it too!

Thanks Howland, I Wasn't planning on carving the box but I may have to now, it will just make itr cost more :lol: I will shoot some in the Dark pix in a few days.

Bowana, thanks for the kind words, they make my day!.

Thanks again to Everyone for the great response. I am rebuilding my garage again, this time removing 6 years of accumulated Junk and adding more storage areas so I can keep it organized and then work More. Happy Happy, H a p p p y !

If your cleaning out the garage - there were a things I'd like to claim. That big piece of Basswood and I think there's a mahogany Lono in there somewhere that would look great at my bar! Let me know when I can come and pick those up.

B

C'mon Aloha you know you can have the Uncarved wood so Come and get it. Anyone else like some wood, great carving wood too1pm mE FOR DIRECTIONS AND STUFF.
cHEERS

Ben -

I still love this little bone piece . . . and still think you should make a mold and cast for mass production nightlights.

Fire concerns? You might want to check out that cigar box/nightlight combo as a possible fire source. Some of those light get pretty hot and could strt a fire, but I have seen/bought some that are pretty bright while remaining only warm to the touch.

Thanks Ben. I didn't make it this weekend because we got started late and on the way back was way too tired. It was a good weekend and I will be making a roadtrip soon. Maybe you can get Mooney to come out of hiding?

B

Thanks timi9dtiki and I think you are right. I found a better light that is brighter And cleaner and Cooler too Have a Look

OH Yeah, The Redwood Moai Pendant??? He is one of 2 pieces going to the Hot Rod Hula Hop 4
Check it out HERE

T

Howdy Benz!

That's the ticket - LEDs - no fire problem there. And what a hell of a great piece... the white bone is fabulous... you never cease to amaze.

Be well, and regards,

Greg

B

Thanks Greg, How you been? Glad to see you hangin' around here more these days

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-07-18 05:42 ]

B

Here are both the pendants for the HRHH

T

Ben, you rock man. I like the light box too. Thanks for posting the pics. Been thinking about making something like that. Someday. :D

B

Thanks BigT, Any time!
Here is the moai twins finished along with a few pictures of my mess of a garage/work space/shop.

Oh Yeah, A New Tool. A Micromotor from Weecher

On 2008-07-16 19:50, Benzart wrote:
Thanks timi9dtiki and I think you are right. I found a better light that is brighter And cleaner and Cooler too Have a Look

Ben , that LightBox idea is a beauty :) could open whole new medium in the art ,
that is ,
unlesss it has been around for ages , and I missed it ....... :D

cheers mate , keep it up ,
Jock

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . a Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-07-18 18:03 ]

What?! A MICROMETER?! Sell me your old whats-a-ma-hoozit, that ya used to use!
Jus kidd'n. Lets see what she can do!!
Sorry had a few wines.

B

JOCK!!! Thanks Mate, surly have missed you for these last quiet 10 days Welcome Back and Thanks for the kind words.

SuurfinDave man, thanks for that SOFT wood you sent can't wait to try it :lol:Thanks too for the props."Sell me your old whats-a-ma-hoozit," That I Still use sorry I still need that old tool.. This new MM has the speed and the handpiece bearings are not worn and loose so the bit doesn't wobble.If that makes any sense. Thanks.
Benz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies