Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

BK

What time do they close?

T

Don't know what time they close but they should be in the phone book under Hu Ke Lau in Chicopee!

Nice.... guess it is time to head back to Chicopee!

Very cool. I'll have to check this place out.

Well, I guess I know where our lunch stop will be on our annual holiday drive to NH (or home from NH)!

Chickenpee here we come!

B

Ok, its not an event, but first & formost,

Mele Kalikimaka to all my Northeast Ohana!!!

Next, I've got a favor to ask. its a small one & will only take a second or two.

Close friends of mine are in a contest at KFC...if they win, its a year's supply of fried chicken, and cash. They want the cash, but not so much the chicken (damn health nuts)

So if they win, ALOT of that free chicken will be coming my way...and I LOVE fried chicken!!

Take a second and goto: http://www.kfc.com/traditions/vote.asp

And vote for #3 (Elinor I. of Sturbridge Mass)

Thanks alot everyone, and have a wonderful holiday!!

La, la, la, la, laaah, la, la , la , laaaaaaaaaaa!
I voted. and I'm gonna get me a bucket and two sides!

Mele Kalikimaka

I voted! :)

Announcement to the Ohana of the North:

The lovely Jill & I are now engaged! I proposed to her in the Bahamas and she said yes. What a relief. I pitched the idea for a wedding at Disney's Polynesian resort, and she's warming up to the idea... So cross your fingers and help me sell it when we see y'all at Lake George (or sooner!)

(Not an event per se, but this thread was languishing on page 2)

Congratulations! You're getting a heck of a gal. Jill, well, I'm sure you'll find happiness one day too. (kidding)

Way to go!

K

On 2009-03-13 07:02, Professor Pineapple wrote:
Announcement to the Ohana of the North:

The lovely Jill & I are now engaged!

Congratulations to you both!

HUGE congratulations! :drink:

YAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

B

Congrats you two crazy kids!!!!

J

From an old married couple - don't do it man!!! :) Nah, congrats and good luck to you both! This is the easy part, wait until you have kids...

Some updates on stuff we've got happening in New England (thanks for bumping up the thread!!)

#1. OHANA TICKETS ARE ON SALE!!!!! You need to choose if you want the early (5.30) or late (8.30) dinner show on Saturday. Both shows will be exactly the same (and are included with your ticket price!), so choose based on when you usually get hungry!

http://www.luauatthelake.com/tickets.htm

As a thank you to those who buy their tickets early, anyone who registers before the end of April will receive a FREE souvenir Tiki Resort Hurricane glass at the event!!

Also, the Fisherman Tiki Trio have joined Ohana!!!! We're thrilled to have them on board. Smooth tiki tunes to tickle your earholes while relaxing by the pool....what could be better? Oh, how about the fact that also playing are Waitki, Bamboo Saxotica, 9th Wave, and few special surprise performaces?

Go buy those tickets!!! http://www.luauatthelake.com

#2. We're got the Tiki Retreat comming up in the Berkshires on May 2nd. Dinner at the Luau Hale (an AMAZING place you need to visit, even if its not with us at the Retreat), followed by a hotel room crawl.
More info on the thread here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31433&forum=4&2

This will be a nice low cost weekend getaway for anyone jonesin' for a tiki fix. The event is FREE (although you have to buy your dinner & cocktails at Luau Hale), and the hotel is only like $80 if you want to spend the night & room crawl with us.

#3. The New England Chapter of the FOM (The Queequegs) are co-hosting (along with drinkboston) a tiki event at Eastern Standard in Boston on Saturday, April 4th, 2pm. Brother Cleve will be spinning exotica, the rum will be flowing, and Aloha spirit will abound. Save the date! More info at :

http://drinkboston.com/2009/03/07/save-the-date-for-tiki-mania/

There's alot more to come on this one as we hammer out details, but it should be a great day/evening out in Boston. Plan to join us!

As usual, huge Malahos to everyone who helps make these events as great as they are (organizing, promoting, attending). They'd all suck if it werent for you, the great tiki folks who bring the Aloha spirit with them where ever they go!

Thanks, and we'll see you at the Lake (or in the mountains, or in the City...or all three!!)

B

Dusting off the old events thread here to let everyone know that we miss you and don't want to wait until Ohana to see everyone.

So, along those lines, we're planning on invading Kowloon on the 15th (Saturday, 8/15) at around 5:30pm.

Meet us at the Sunken bar out in the dining area. If you're not sure when that is, follow the crys of "Two more scorpion bowls down here please!" and you'll find us.

See ya then!!

T

It's been too long since the New England folk have been together. Hope everyone can find time in their busy schedules to come out to meat & greet.

Almost Saturday, see you all at Kowloon!

Also, I forgot to post the WAITIKI Celebratory DRINKathon announcement in this thread too. Come down to Drink (348 Congress St., Boston, MA near the Childrens Museum) at 4 p.m. in two weeks, 8/23, to help us say "bonzai!!" as we celebrate the new CD. No-host party. Drink will be serving their favorite drinks from the famous Waitiki Drink Menu, as well as whipping up an "Adventures in Paradise" punch, to be served free to all who buy/have bought the new W7 album. Hope to see you there. Wear your aloha shirts, queequeg shirts, or Okonkuluku University logo wear.

M

I was just about to post that link myself! Here's an excerpt from the website:

LUPEC is thrilled to announce our 3rd Annual Fall Fundraiser, the LUPEC BOSTON “TIKI BASH“, to benefit Cambridge-based non-profit organization, On The Rise!

On November 14 we’ll transform the Villa Victoria Center for the Arts into a 1950’s-themed Tiki party featuring retro-libations, live entertainment, dancing, delicious hors d’oeuvres, and our famous prize raffle. This is LUPEC Boston’s third annual fall fundraising event. This year’s beneficiary is On the Rise, a Cambridge-based non-profit that supports the initiative and strength of women living in crisis or homelessness. Tickets are $35 in advance/ $45 at the door and can be purchased this Friday at Grand in Somerville, Toro in the South End, Drink in Fort Point, Trina’s Starlite Lounge in Somerville, Buckaroo’s Mercantile in Cambridge, or online now at http://www.thebostonshaker.com.

The LUPEC BOSTON “TIKI BASH” will pay tribute to the 1950’s theme with of-the-era cocktails, Tiki cocktail demonstrations by some of Boston’s best bartenders, and live entertainment including acts by Thru the Keyhole Burlesque, Boston-based ukulele sensation Uke Springsteen, and other Island-themed acts. DJ Brother Cleve, a Boston institution, will spin ’50s-era music throughout the evening between sets.

Light cocktail party fare will be provided for the evening by some of the city’s most highly regarded culinary talent, including Mike Smith of Toro, Greg Reeves of Green Street, Island Creek Oysters will be on hand shucking their acclaimed “Duxbury Pearls”, and The Boston Derby Dames will skate around with sweets provided by Taza Chocolate.

A prize raffle will feature gift baskets from St-Germain and Brix, a one-of-a-kind handmade handbag from Nani designs, gift certificates donated from Toro, Trina’s Starlite Lounge, Franklin Cafe, Vee Vee, Fresh Hair Salon, and many, many more!

http://lupecboston.com/2009/10/20/announcing-the-lupec-boston-tiki-bash/

I'm going, and taking my sister with me - should be a blast!

M

Bumping the LUPEC Tiki Bash up since it is happening this coming Saturday- can I look forward to seeing / meeting any TC Ohana there? I can't wait!

B

I think a number of us will be there.

Should be a rockin time.

Definitely going to be there.

Fun event, kudos to LUPEC Boston.

Great to meet you in person modbetty!

-Rev

M

twas a fun night indeed! Glad to meet some NE TC Ohana in person and looking forward to future fun. Now it's back to PA and back to work---

M

Looks like some familiar faces made it to the Bostonist coverage of the LUPEC tiki bash!

http://bostonist.com/2009/11/16/lupec_tiki_bash_photo_gallery.php?gallery0Pic=10#gallery

More of the fun

http://bostonist.com/2009/11/16/lupec_tiki_bash_photo_gallery.php

:)

B

Aloha & Mele Kalikimaka!!!

Short notice, I know, but on Saturday the 26th, the Queequeg Chapter of the FOM will be having a meat&greet/Festivus celebration at my home bar & arcade wonderland, The Lono Lounge in Tolland, CT.

4pm until the rum runs out. Limited extra beds, unlimited couch/floor space, or arrange sober transportation.

Hit me with a PM for directions if you don't know where my joint is, or respond here if you wanna come over.

Oh, and while the booze is free, I don't really cook (at least nothing I'd want to serve to guests). So feel free to bring something to munch on.

Happy Festivus!!

Will there be Cheese Monas?

B

I'm working pappy for the Monas, so I sure hope so!.

Those things are awesome, and I swear there's some secret ingredient that makes them instantly addictive.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, stop by on the 26th, or get your butt to Ken Chin's in Worcester, MA and order some Cheese Monas. Best damn Chinese appetizer I've ever had.

Nice of you to host, Bargoyle. It's on!!! The Lono is always a good time. See you on the 26th w/ appetizers in tow.

Those things are awesome, and I swear there's some secret ingredient that makes them instantly addictive.

MSG?

If it was MSG, I'd be addicted to ALL Chinese food!! .... wait a minute!!!! I AM!!! lol.

No, its whatever that mysterious pork-like meat is that's in the Monas. That's the secret addictive ingredient. I'm sure of it!

And I don't care if it turns out to be sewer rat or soylent green, I'll still eat them.

And Im sure its neither of those things (for those who havent had them, I dont wanna scare you away) Im pretty sure Judy said it was pork.

Maybe they put crack in the cheese?

B

For those coming on the 26th, since it looks like the snow is gonna be sticking around a bit, lawn parking will only be accessible to those with SUVs (or some sort of 4wd).

I have no on-street parking at my place, so try to carpool if possible.

If you show up and the driveway is full, or if you just don't want to get blocked in, you can park on Wallbridge Hill Rd (The side street two houses up the hill from my house) and walk down.

We'll be waiting for ya, cocktails at the ready!

S

Make one more cocktail for me, and just leave it at the end of the bar (or near the Star Wars game). I'll be by to pick it up soon.

Suzane

Suzanne--don't miss the Feats of Strength and the Airing of Grievances! Like--why is the nearest Trader Vics a thousand miles away? Why does good rum cost so much? How come all the cool Queequegs move to the left coast?

HEY!!!! I'm still east coast.

Am I not cool?

Is it not cool to ask if you're cool?

Was I cool until I asked?

Dammit!!! I think I was cool for a minute and I blew it!

oh well, back to the Lord of the Rings dvd marathon (extended editions!!) & Star Wars pachinko, nerds!

L

Aloha friends!
I am new at T.C. but have been a lurker for a long while. I want to meet everyone who is into Tiki from New England. I live in Boston and have very good material for trading. Anyone interested? Mahalo!

Hi LavaMama, welcome to Tiki Central!

We've got a great community of Tiki lovers up here and we get together at the Kowloon and other places now and then, so keep in touch and I'm sure you'll get some trading interest.

Also, if you're not already planning to attend, The Fraternal Order of Moai throw an incredible party at Lake George and tickets are on sale now!

Here's the "OHANA" thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34393&forum=4&55

X
xtine posted on Sun, Feb 28, 2010 7:16 PM

Aloha LavaMama!

I don't have much in the way of trading but I'm always up for Boston meet ups! I also second Ohana!

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 10:05 AM

Aloha amigos! I am in Boston right now and will be here for a month, so if anyone wants to see my ugly face and have a drink or three, let me know... I also brought many cool Spanish and Mexican rare and vintage stuff for trading.
Aloha all New Englanders! I love it here! go sox!

Bienvenido, Zeta, and Aloha, LavaMama!

I'm jonesing for a meet-up, as well. Ohana in June is too far away!

Hola, Zeta, bienvenido! Cuanto tiempo vas a estar en Boston? A ver si planeamos algo...

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 6:55 AM

Hibiscus and Mayor of Exotica, Mahalo for the warm welcome! I'll be in bean town until April 8th.
Mayor, como es que hablas tan buen Español?! That's cool and exotic! I would vote for you!

Show off! :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies