Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

B

Pappy, I'll try, but even the friday show was gonna be tight. Have to leave work early, etc to make it in time. On a friday, its not as big of a deal (our production works 10 hour days M-TH, so theres not as much happening on friday) Still possible, but I wont know prob until the week before. I guess I'll still buy the tickets, and that'll be a motivator. Hope it comes together.

SB, if you cook something up in Maine, I'll definately do my best to get up there. Give us a little notice & I'll get my sis or someone to watch the dog, and then we're free & clear!

B

Looks like the b-day party is being put on the back burner.

We're saving for the wedding, so no need to set aside those weekends.

I'll just be by myself.....

sitting in the dark....

crying into my Mai Tai....all alone.....

:(

Don't be that way. You can come to the Bora Bora Basement for Mai Tais and Jungle Madnesseseses

J

Bargoyle - Pappy has a good idea there for your bday. Hang at the B3. I'm flat out after the Kowloon with work. I just picked up two freelance jobs and my day job is starting to hint at the need for lots of OT to get a major project finished. All work and no play make John a dull boy.
All work and no play make John a dull boy.

SBiM we so owe you guys a trip! I haven't been to ME in probably 10 years and would love to get that far north again.

B

I may just take you up on it pappy!

And congrats Johnman! Work is good. OT = more $$ for tiki stuff!

R
Rain posted on Wed, Jan 10, 2007 8:37 AM

On 2007-01-09 20:59, johnman wrote:
SBiM we so owe you guys a trip! I haven't been to ME in probably 10 years and would love to get that far north again.

ya and i've never been to ME.

I'm looking at doing something on March 3rd when Traci is out of town.
I could put up 2 people in one room and a couple in the basement, but that's about it.

--sbim

hmmmmmmmm - sounds good to me . any excuse for tiki mugs and rum is reason enough for me! Where in Maine are you?

Portland. So not too far.

24th and the 3rd are pretty close together. If I pour at the BBB on the 24th, that's OK but if I wanna go to Maine on the 3rd, I might get "the look"... I know, let's hammer it out at the Kowloon!

Hey Pappy, if the 24th is about havin me over to the BoraBora, dont even worry about it man. My bday is the 28th, so the 3rd is actually closer to the day....Looks like SB is having my bday party!! heh heh.

SO it's up to SB. SB--if you don't have anything on the third, I'll turn on the heat downstairs and open up the BBB on the 24th.

How much advance notice do you need?

..sbim

Let us know what you need for the party and how we can contribute.......
PM me if your so inclined , otherwise think about it and let us know what we can do to help!

Anyone else planning to see Waitiki at Ryles on Jan. 16???

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22457&forum=11&1

B

Doh!!

Didnt know about that show, and I'm going to Cambridge on Monday night to see The Bakerton Group (if anyone else likes heavy jammy fusion jazz, check em out...its basicly the group Clutch, but without a singer...great stuff). Cant do 2 weeknights in a row out anymore...too many years of abuse have aged me before my time!

ditto...

ditto to the Bakerton Show?

Or the years of abuse?

Hey y'all... just checking in, my sweetheart and I are in lil' Rhodie and have been dying for a group like this, we'd love to be apart of a meet up. Just let me know where and when. Also, if there's any events in RI, we can put up two. And we've got a bar. Y'all need to try my pineapple roast pig... or simply, roast pig.

Holler back!

[ Edited by: inkashtray 2007-10-30 22:56 ]

Place: Kowloon Restaurant in Saugus, MA
Date: January 20, 2007
Time: 7PM

Be there or eat at McDonalds.

I'd rather eat my own hand, Pappy, we'll be there.

B

Hi Ink,

welcome aboard.

The kowloon trip can be peeped here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22319&forum=4&start=last&14

we'll see ya on saturday!

J

inkashtray - Welcome aboard fellow RI'er! Good to see there's some more representation from the state. Hope you to see you at the Kowloon...

H

Have any of you guys ever checked out Asia restaurant in Dover, NH? It's at 42 3rd St. From what I can tell so far, it's a Chinese buffet place that's been around forever. This snippet from an online review piqued my interest:

We were greeted warmly, passed a very pretty and very large aquarium and continued to walk in a dimly lit area to a bright room and taken to one of the most unusual booths in which I’ve sat. There were bamboo canopies over each table. It felt as if we were sitting in a comfortable cocoon.

The same review makes mention of passing a dark, smelly bar. Sounds up our alley! All the food reviews I've found so far are very favorable, so even if it's a total tiki bust, it might be a fun thing to check out.

Do any of you guys live near enough to Dover to check this out?

That sounds like a job our pal, Granite.

Dover is only about an hour for me, too.
Perhaps I can check it out.

..sbim

I've got tomorrow off, so I may attempt to check this place out!

It's about an hour and ten minutes from me as well.

Hope it's cool!

H

Hm, I just found this review:

Food not very good, very bland, to bright, no atmosphere.

So maybe don't get your hopes up too high.

J

Yeah - that review doesn't sound promising. Tiki is tough to find in NH based on my experience. Granite may have the most tikified place in the whole state.

R
Rain posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 6:57 PM

guys - i went to utrecht art supply tonight, and on a bunch of the new line of drawing pads is a drawing of a BIGOL' TIKI! i'm taking it as an auspicious sign that this year, there shall be much tiki in the northeast. maybe we'll get lucky in RI and someone will open a real place. i would gladly spend the summer painting and carving to decorate.

I'm planning on checking out that restaurant on Sunday.

I'll bring my camera and cross my fingers.

I went Today!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22817&forum=2&2

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-02-04 19:51 ]

L

Not sure what's up with the South Pacific Resteraunt. (its in the new Big Y plaza in Tolland on 195, luke). The sign is now down, and there is still no progress on the build out. Just a big empty building.
Th' Bargoyle

Bargoyle, I was at the the Big Y plaza today. There is a permanent sign up but the building is still empty with the exception of construction gear. The sign says "South Pacific" and has a lobster on one side and what appears to be Asian letters on the other side........ not too promising. Damn!

B

Hey Luke,

I stopped by the other night as well. I must say I'm disapointed with the direction it seems to be taking.

Next time you're nearby shoot me a pm. That big y is walking distance from my house/lounge....and the bar is always open.

Next time you're nearby shoot me a pm. That big y is walking distance from my house/lounge....and the bar is always open.

Awesome! Thanks Bargoyle! As soon as I kick this sore throat/cold I'll take you up on that!
Wouldn't mind hooking up with the whole lot of ya at some point too! I've seen the pictures of the last outing, and it looked like you had a good time :lol:
Luke

I have created a new thread for my thing on March 3rd.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22961&forum=4&0

..sbim

hey, tomorrow (sunday) we are going to finally hit the Bali Hai. I know you all say the food isnt great, but I want to try it for myself.

We are coming down and going to IKEA and Sephora and then hitting the BH on the way back to Vacationland.

I bet we will be there around 7:00 if anyone wants to join us.

..sbim

Darn, the timing is just off! I'll be driving by there because I'm playing in downtown Salem,MA from 6:00 - 9:00.

Have a great time! I assume they still have a couple styles of mugs for sale.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Feb 18, 2007 9:53 PM

i didn't think this worth a post in "locating tiki," so i thought i'd mention it here...

chef ho's on federal hill here in providence has absolutely no tiki decor, but on the way out i noticed about 5 different standard mass-production mugs on the bar. next time i'll test the waters, so to speak.

S

On 2007-02-17 16:56, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
hey, tomorrow (sunday) we are going to finally hit the Bali Hai. I know you all say the food isnt great, but I want to try it for myself.

We are coming down and going to IKEA and Sephora and then hitting the BH on the way back to Vacationland.

I bet we will be there around 7:00 if anyone wants to join us.

..sbim

Dang, I wish I had read this yesterday. I spent the night making Orgeat and Passion Fruit Syrup while tasting and comparing some new rums. I never even had the time to make a Mai Tai, though I certainly will tonight.

Next time you're in the area send me a PM... I haven't been to the Bali Hai in 10 years, though I did hit Kowloon about a year ago. Back when I lived in the area they were both regular stops. Along with the Pearl East in Lynn and the Lanai Island in Wakefield... Hey, I like Mai Tais... :)

Hi Scottes! Welcome to TC!

It was just the two of us last night at the Bali Hai, but we had a good time.
The food was better than I expected. In fact, the teriyaki beef was the best I had since I left Seattle.

and the $4 drinks were a deal! And QUITE strong!

They were willing to sell me a Bali Hai mug and a bisque crossed arms mug with their name on the back, but they wouldnt sell me the mug they brought my Suffering Bastard in. It is a modern design with no makers marks, but it has Bali Hai printed on the back. They said they don't have enough to sell.

In a way, I find it better than the Kowloon because it's not crowded, it's really sincere, and the food and drink were good. It doesnt have a lot of "tiki" other than the lamps and the murals, but it's a nice little joint.

On 2007-02-19 08:48, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Hi Scottes! Welcome to TC!

It was just the two of us last night at the Bali Hai, but we had a good time.
The food was better than I expected. In fact, the teriyaki beef was the best I had since I left Seattle.

and the $4 drinks were a deal! And QUITE strong!

They were willing to sell me a Bali Hai mug and a bisque crossed arms mug with their name on the back, but they wouldnt sell me the mug they brought my Suffering Bastard in. It is a modern design with no makers marks, but it has Bali Hai printed on the back. They said they don't have enough to sell.

In a way, I find it better than the Kowloon because it's not crowded, it's really sincere, and the food and drink were good. It doesnt have a lot of "tiki" other than the lamps and the murals, but it's a nice little joint.

The drinks at Bali Hai RULE especially for the price! I've never been dissapointed (or left without a buzz!)
Did they give you the old '70s era menu to look at? They did the last time I was there, but they had a lot of the stuff crossed out and re-priced.
My magazine printer is two exits past BH up in Peabody, so I'm up that way every other month and always stop in for a meal and few drinks.

Is it my imagination, or are we New England Tikifiles growing quickly?!?!?

Excellent!!!

Of course I meant in numbers, but we ARE eating an awful lot of Chinese Food too! :wink:

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-02-19 11:12 ]

B

Dang SB,

I just saw your post. I totally would have made the drive to the Hai. We were actually at the Ikea in New Haven on Saturday (Great minds thinking alike?). We went to exchange some bamboo blinds (they weren't wide enough)

2 hours and $150 later, we left...and I didnt even get the replacement blinds!! doh!!

Found these at JoAnnes Fabrics. Clearance and on sale for 5 bucks each. They are candle holders. Same size as a standard mug. There was another one with a different design, but it was in a putrid peach color.
I'm posting it here because I think JoAnnes is strictly east coast...but I could be wrong?

S

$4 drinks? I think they were $4 when I was last there 10 years ago. I'll be going back - as soon as I convince my wife to drive so I can make my way through the drink menu....

Lukeulele, Jo-Ann fabrics is nation-wide. They're bunched up on the east and west coasts and the Great Lakes, but it looks like Wyoming is the only state they're missing. Those are very cool candle-holders. My wife is going to roll her eyes when I get a set...

SBIM - Is your party at a tiki lounge or your house? I have quite a collection of rums that I like to share - I love rum and think everyone should have knowledge of the good stuff. But it might be odd bringing them to a bar...

If you're interested, I posted my experiences making Passion Fruit Syrup here. I'm off to post about making Orgeat... And then it will be time for a Mai Tai.

The Lava Lounge is my basement. So yes, it's at a house, and I would more than welcome anyone with some mixology skills and interest! Bring the booze!

I'm always willing to learn about drinks. :wink:

..sbim

S

Well I know a LOT more about rum than about drinks. I have been heavily researching rums for 3 years now - it's a tough job - but I just started getting into cocktails only a few months ago. I have found that I like rums a lot, and that I lean more towards sweet than sour. So last month I decided to go back to my youth and research Tiki drinks. I "grew up" on standard east coast Cinese/Polynesian restaurants and their "single rum and sour mix" Mai Tais, so I guess I'm regressing. But I'm regressing with passion - and books by Beachbum Bery, Trader Vic, and Donn Beach.

Anyway, I certainly have some rums to try. I've got about 20 bottles of rum around here - 4 generic and 16 not-very-generic-at-all. We'll see if we can find some good matches for some tiki drinks.

Edit: I am NOT bringing my measly collection of 5 tiki mugs after seeing your collection! Lol!

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-02-19 18:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies