Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

J

Aloha I, Zombie! Nice to hear you'll be heading out our way. Not sure what I'll be doing on 8/10 but I'll keep the date in mind. Definitely post again when the date is closer (I know I'll forget - what was I talking about again?).

SBiM there's a huge sale at IKEA on the 10th. Actually there's no sale, the Miss and I would love to see you guys again. Hope you can make it.

Well the HKL '06 announcement just went up. I'm already itching to buy tickets. The big question now is: Who's in for the ultimate NE tikiphile event - a trip to the Hukilau 2006? Pappy, Bargoyle, SBiM, Rain, Granite and anyone else???

R
Rain posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 3:44 AM

On 2006-06-01 20:05, johnman wrote:
Well the HKL '06 announcement just went up... Who's in...?

i've planned to go for the last two years and something shitty came up at the last minute that prevented it, but i'm trying again this year :).

On 2006-06-01 20:05, johnman wrote:
Well the HKL '06 announcement just went up. I'm already itching to buy tickets. The big question now is: Who's in for the ultimate NE tikiphile event - a trip to the Hukilau 2006? Pappy, Bargoyle, SBiM, Rain, Granite and anyone else???

It doesn't look like Robert Drasnin is appearing this year. I'm not sure if I wanna go anymore... :(

B

Looks like I may be out for the 10th this month. Had a prior commitment I completely spaced out on. If everyone is up for moving the Tahiti to a different date, that'd be great. If not, have a great time & post tons of pictures!

I also will not be making the 10th.
However, I think it is now MORE likely that we could make the Hukilau because I will not be working on a campaign this fall.

I got a new job with Common Cause (working on media and democracy issues) so I won't be in campaign mode at all in the fall.

Soooooo.... it's a much better bet!

--sbim

J

Darn, looks like June my end up a rain out as well. I have sitters lined up so Pappy if you're still interested Miss and I are still on. Just let me know.

No Drasnin is a bummer Pappy but that isn't stopping me. Plane, hotel, car and event ticket are all booked as of yesterday. Got a great deal from Spirit Air on airfare - $177 round-trip NS. And the times were exactly what I wanted (arriving early, leaving late). Plus 1/2 off on the rental car from Hertz.

I'm staying at the Bahia Cabana and ended up getting a standard room with two beds so if anyone else is going solo and wants to save on lodging let me know. It's $80/night with the discount so to split that with someone would be sweet. Pappy? Rain? Bueller? There's plenty of time so no rush.

OK. I'd still like to go on the 10th. johnman, check your PMs. Let's still get a crowd for the 10th if we can. Bargoyle, SB--it won't be the same w/o you guys.

J

I know Miss is coming. I'll see if my friend Keith (he went to Ho Kong with us before) wants to come too. It'll at least be a little crowd :)

Pappy, of course it won't be the same without us. In fact, I am surprised you will do it at all if we can't be there! :wink:

--sbim

J

SBiM I think withdrawals are just setting in for Pappy and I. Hopefully the Tahitian can provide a fix :drink:

Good to hear you picked up a new job. And from the sounds of it, one that will make a difference for people.

yeah, I hope it goes well.
Thanks.

--sbim

T

On 2006-05-25 13:49, amiotiki wrote:
Hi all y'all in the Great Northeast! Tikivixen, her hubby, my daughter, and I will be at the Kowloon on June 7 (we're staying nearby at the Red Roof the 6th - 9th), and would love it if some of you would like to join us for dinner/drinks! We could move the date a day in either direction, but the 7th would be the most sane for us.

We're also going to be hitting the Burlington, VT area the nites of the 9th and 10th; Christmas Cove, ME on the 11th and 12th; and then will be back in the Boston area the 13th - 16th (we leave then).

I hope we can get together with some of you - or even all of you!

amiotiki (Tina)

I'm Joining Amiotiki, Tikivixen etc. at the Kowloon tonight, I hope. If anyone is going to be in the area & wants to join us send me a PM & can give you my Cell Phone #. Hopefully all this rain won't discourage our visitors.

Tikisgrl (Beth)

T

Tikisgrl! We're in Saugus...despite American Airlines' BEST attempts to keep us at home. We're right next to the Kowloon and it looks AWESOME! (the incredibly huge neon Saguaro steakhouse down the road is pretty impressive too :lol:)

We'll be in touch later I'm sure--looking forward to it! :drink:

T

On 2006-05-25 13:49, amiotiki wrote:
Hi all y'all in the Great Northeast! Tikivixen, her hubby, my daughter, and I will be at the Kowloon on June 7 (we're staying nearby at the Red Roof the 6th - 9th), and would love it if some of you would like to join us for dinner/drinks! We could move the date a day in either direction, but the 7th would be the most sane for us.

We're also going to be hitting the Burlington, VT area the nites of the 9th and 10th; Christmas Cove, ME on the 11th and 12th; and then will be back in the Boston area the 13th - 16th (we leave then).

I hope we can get together with some of you - or even all of you!

amiotiki (Tina)

Anybody else who'd care to join us at the Kowloon tonight would be MOST welcome!! C'mon...do you really need an excuse?! :lol:

meow! from tikivixen

I'd love to go but it's a workday and Saugus is far from home even in a state this little. Have fun!

J

Hope everyone had a great time at the Kowloon. Wish I was there!

T

Kowloon as always was wonderful to behold and it was great meeting some far away TC members!!! I wish that you could have all been there too as you are probably better at the Kowloon story and more savvy on the drinks etc!!! Hopefully the lone Mass Ohana (Me that is) will finally get my schedule straight and come meet you all soon!

J

I was just dusting off this thread and saw the Tikisgrl was able to represent the NE group at the Kowloon! Thanks for meeting up with members of our distant TC Ohana.

You will definitely have to meet up with us "locals" sometime:) There's nothing scheduled yet but I'm sure one of us is sure to get the itch soon and plan something. Stay tuned...

T

Aloha y'all!

We'll it's time to make the annual trek to New England from the hot Arizona desert and we'd love to meet some of our East coast ohana :). We're winging in to Boston on Thursday, July 13th and then heading up to Wells, Maine for about a week.

We're staying on the water at Lafayette's Beach Front Lodge...I can smell the ocean already and we're planning to be on the Patio at the Oceanside Grill (at the Brunswick in OOB) on Sunday the 16th. Then, it's on to the Hukelau in Chicopee for the show on Friday, July 21st (Chicopee is my old hometown...my uncle is the mayor!) :D and the Brass Rail in Southwick on Sunday, July 23rd. We'll also be in Beverly on the 18th (I gotta work that day) and would love a suggestion for lunch that day.

Please post or pm if you can join us on any or all days...we'd love to meet you guys!

Much mahalo,

tiki-tina and bamboo boyd

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-05 03:27 ]

PM sent!

Mahaloz SBiM....right back at ya...and I think we're gonna try to hit Kowloon for lunch on Thursday, the 13th. Early though since we get in to BOS at 6A and will be famished by the time Kowloon opens. Also, can someone please let me know how far Koloon is from Logan? We also need to scope out something in Beverly,so we may head up there first and then back to Kowloon for lunch on Thursday.

Mahaloz again!

tiki-t & b-boyd

Time to dust off this thread again.

1st off, Tiki-Tina, sorry I missed ya. Hope you had a great time up here in the northeast. Did anyone make it to the kowloon to welcome our out of town ohana?

2nd, after a week at DisneyWorld, I am offically Disney'd out. Next gathering I'll fill you in on the Epcot pub crawl, being scolded at the Polnesian Village, how much the Tiki Room Under New Management sucks, and how to get thrown out of the Disney Quest arcade. All in all, a nice little trip, topped with a ride down to ft lauderdale and a night at the Mai Kai.

3rd, For those who are into it, or local, Harpoon Brewery (in VT) is having their BBQ cookoff this weekend. Nothing to do with tiki, but good food & beer. I think the Wahine & I are heading up there, so if anyone else is interested, PM me.

And last (4th), its official.... There will be no Luau at our place this year :( I am, however, doing a pig roast for the Tolland Fire Dept on Aug 12th (to thank em for saving our house, etc) if anyone wants to crash it. (At the local park rt up the road from my place)

Hope is well with everyone. ALoha!

ps. When/Where's our next get together?

I've been tied up every weekend since..... I dunno-- very busy lately. Bargoyle, you're the only one we all listen to to organize a tiki event (you got leadership). Name the place an' I'll try and be there. Maybe a weeknight, then our pal, Granite might be able to come.

R
Rain posted on Wed, Jul 19, 2006 10:03 PM

thrown out of disney quest, eh? hehe.

we're finally getting back down to FL first of august - the wahine has never been to disney, so we'll be hopeflly doing that (already have reservations at ohana's)... i agree, though - tiki room under new management BLOWS. is it me, or is it really short now, too?

also, i'm finally MOBILE again as of last week! (not that johnman hasn't been uber-generous about transportation)... but now we can do some more exploration and joining-up. looking forward to next time.

[ Edited by: Rain 2006-07-19 22:04 ]

I'd love to see some of you New England Tikiphiles (or any other tikiphiles) on July 30!!!!! Our two tiki bars (indoor and out) although not totally finished (when is a tiki bar really finished?) are ready for a party!!!!

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-07-20 14:54 ]

Needless to say, we will have lots of food and booze there already, but on my meager musician salary, I thought it best to suggest everyone bring some as well!
:)

J

Hi all! Wow lots happening here since my last visit to the NE thread. Bargoyle getting thrown out of DisneyQuest (how the heck does that happen? - dying to find out!), Rain picking up a sweet bug, Granite throwing a party and Pappy busy as heck (I can relate man).

Well I certainly miss the Ohana and cannot wait until we can meet up again. I so hate to miss out on your party Granite but we won't be able to make it to Nashua on the 30th :(

We may be able to crash the pig roast Bargoyle. I'll check with the wahine and see what's on our list for that weekend. I know Miss would like to see the firemen (don't ask).

And yes, Tiki Room Under New Management is an abomination! I so wish they would return to the classic show.

Granite! Congrats on getting your pad fixed up. The boss says we're having a cookout that weekend either Sat. or Sun. I think that means if the weather is good Sat. I can go Sun!

We'd love to see you there!

Wow! Alot happening in the North-East all of a sudden. I love it!!

Granite, we already have plans for the 30th unfortunately, (bbq/reunion near boston) but we may be able to jet out early & get up to ya. Its a long shot though. (These summer weekends fill up fast dont they?)

Rain- Nice ride. I dig those new bugs. And now no excuses for missing out on gatherings!!

Speaking of which...August 5th is the next free day I've got (and just about the only one until labor day weekend!!)

Anyone up for a tiki trip someplace? Kowloon? The Huke?

Anyone? anyone? .....bueller? .... bueller? bueller?

I just checked out a potential place here in Maine, but it turns out that while they might have good drinks, they don't even serve them in mugs. The best they have is scorpion bowls. And no tiki on site at all.

We might be able to make it on the 30th.

--sbim

I can't tell you how great it'd be to have some of you to our house!

My friends and family will enjoy what I've done to the place, but they won't get off on my Hawaiian record collection like you guys will, they won't quite understand the importance of my cocojoes trinkets, or my insistence that I only drink Mai-Tais from my official Trader Vic's Glasses (or, if they're dirty, my Don Ho glasses)

Again, we'd love to see some you there!

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 5:25 AM

we're leaving for florida the morning of the 30th, so we won't be able to make it to nashua. :(

we'll be back in the NE after august 12th, so hopefully we'll see everyone before august is out. :)

Florida huh? Well, I guess if you can't come to the Granite Tiki Lounge, the Mai-Kai is an okay consolation prize. :wink:

P

GT, I hope you have a great luau and make sure to post some pictures.
Wish I was there to jam with you.

Pablus, your CD will be played at my party, that's for damn sure!

If it's a real nice day, Dino wants to take his Harley, so it will be interesting to see his upright on the back of the bike! :)

I'll definitely post pics!

J

Hmm free day on August 5th eh Bargoyle. Interested in seeing WAITIKI in Cambridge MA that night? They're playing at the Lizard Lounge. I don't think the lounge is tiki but WAITIKI certainly is and I've never seen a live lounge/exotica band before - could be quite cool. I'll need to do the babysitter dance before I can commit but I'd love to check these guys out.

The Lizard's drink menu was looking pretty interesting until I stumbled upon this...
MAI TAI
Goslings's Rum, Bacardi Light, Cointreau,
Pineapple and Orange Juices, Splash of
Grenadine, rocks

Oh the horror!

Looks like I'll skip that one - though their "iced tea" sounds good:
LOUNGIN' LIZARD ICED TEA
Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Malibu Rum, Banana
Liquer, Passion Fruit Juice, and Sprite, on the rocks

Anyone interested in checking these guys out?

johnman, if it weren't in Cambridge, I'd be very tempted. I HATE going into Boston...
Looks like I'm clear to go Granite's Sunday. Who else can go????

I'll be there!! :wink:

We're still not sure about tomorrow at Granite's thing, but soon we will all know.

But I found a potential today for a place in Maine!

In Lewiston is a joint called the Cathay Hut that does Chinese, Polynesian and American food.

I went inside today and found that for the most part it is a basic looking Chinese place that does a buffet, it does serve drinks in tiki mugs of several varieties and it has a nice mural of an island scene on one wall.

They have a full tiki drink menu, serve Scorpion and Lava Bowls, they use several tiki, fu manchu, coconut and bamboo style mugs.

The decor is lacking, but it seems like this place might be the second most tiki place in Maine (after my basement).

So I am thinking perhaps we could do a gathering up here some time. Let me know if anyone is game.

--jon

We're very excited at even the possibility of having some Tiki Central folk join us.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

Sorry I couldn't make it up to Nashua for today's festivities Granite. I would however like to invite all the New England Ohana down to Allentown for a party to open my tiki room on Saturday 9 September. For more details just PM me. Aloha.

Matt

Granite, we are talking about stopping by today as part of a little road trip.
So expect us at some point!

--sbim

J

On 2006-07-28 06:19, pappythesailor wrote:
johnman, if it weren't in Cambridge, I'd be very tempted. I HATE going into Boston...
Looks like I'm clear to go Granite's Sunday. Who else can go????

I hear ya Pappy - Cambridge probably isn't a fun road trip with all of the tunnel madness going on in Boston. I'm cleared to go but don't have anyone to go with (Miss was going to watch the kids so I could go). It be a real bummer driving up there alone :( Oh well maybe there'll be a better time in the future.

Sorry WAITIKI! I'm sure the stars will align eventually.

Hope everyone going to Granite's today has a great time. Wish I was there!

I'd like to thank Kate and Carl for a very nice time in Nashua, even though it was short for us. We didnt get home until around 10 PM, so it was good we left when we did.

and Pappy, it was nice to see you too!

--sbim

Just so you all know, it is not necessary to go through the tunnels to get to Cambridge, from the North especially. Don't let shoddy highway construction deter you from a most worthy night out!

Some insider info for TC-ites:

-There will be hitherto unheard new Waitiki compositions debuted.

-A self-inflating Sumo suit has just been purchased, and will also be debuted as Sumitomo, the Samoan Sumo.

Please come and introduce yourselves as TC-ites! We want to meet you!

B

ALoooooooooHA!

Sry I've been MIA for the past week. Knocked out the interweb at home & been waaaaay too busy at work for surfing.

Johnman, I'm up for Waitiki on the 5th. Cambridge isnt too bad of a ride...the ride home on the other hand.......

Granite, hope the party went off well. Post some pics!

Gotta jet. Duty calls. hope everyone is well.

Sully (the Bargoyle)

J

Most excellent Bargoyle! Looks like some New England TC members will be at the WAITIKI show Mayor. I'm pumped to see the self-inflating sumo suit (Honey, where's my sumo suit?). I'm going to see if my brother wants to come as well - it'll be a lonely drive to Cambridge if not.

Sounds like Nashua was a good time - pics please:)

Hey rugbymatt - glad to hear your tiki room is on the verge of opening. I'd love to go to Allentown to check it out but don't think we can make it. I still owe SBiM a visit to his killer tiki bar in Maine. Patience grasshoppers.

johnman out...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies