Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 6:55 AM

Hibiscus and Mayor of Exotica, Mahalo for the warm welcome! I'll be in bean town until April 8th.
Mayor, como es que hablas tan buen Español?! That's cool and exotic! I would vote for you!

MH

Hola Zeta,

Aqui en Boston, Cambridge, mi banda de Exotica, Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Mini, va a tocar sabado, el 17 de Abril a Toad. Informacion a http://orchestrotica.com

Tambien, si te parece interesante, un otro grupo mio, La Tuza, va a tocar nuestros sones mexicanos (jarocho, calentano, y huasteco) en Somerville, cerca de Boston. 10 de Abril es tambien, un sabado. http://latuzamusic.com

Si tu vienes a cualquiera, introduzcate a mi! If you have other questions in town, feel free to holler back at [email protected] .

saludos,
Mr. Ho

MH

Oh rats, I just realized you are only here until April 8 - i guess those wont work. If you are NYC on April 3rd, the Orchestrotica will be playing down there...

Did you hit the Kowloon yet?

Mr. Ho

H

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2010-03-19 08:26 ]

H

Did you hit the Kowloon yet?

Mr. Ho

Hmmm...Kowloon. Saugus Wings. Volcano Bowls.

sigh

Zeta, I will simply say Aloha, que tal?

Donde esta casa de pepe?

Un otro cerveza por favor!!

And, thats about it.

So, welcome Zeta.

Get to Kowloon, South Pacific, & Bali Hai while you're in town.

Perhaps we need a gathering. Im with Hybiscus... June cant get here soon enough (but not too soon...I've got a TON of stuff left to do!! lol )

C

Im with Hybiscus... June cant get here soon enough (but not too soon...I've got a TON of stuff left to do!! lol )

Yes, you do! Now get to work!! :wink: :lol:

Estne silvam in provincia?
That's all I remember from high school Latin class. It means, "Is there a forest in the province?" :D I didn't have the foresigfht to take Spanish. I took Latin & French. Boy, those have have come in almost as handy as the Cobal & Fortran classes I took in college!

Zeta, I'd be interested in hooking up. I have a few tradeables. Where are you staying?

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-03-19 19:02 ]

On 2010-03-19 06:55, Zeta wrote:

Mayor, como es que hablas tan buen Español?! That's cool and exotic! I would vote for you!

Como le digo a todo el mundo, presté atención en colegio, jejejeje...
¿Cuando es que llegas? ¿Donde te vas a quedar? Hay mucho tiki por aquí, y los tragosss.... ¡Hostia, tío!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 1:39 PM

Aloha everyone!
I been here before, so I visited Kowloon, South Pacific, Bali Hai, Huke lau, Luau hale, Tiki ports, Islander, Tiki palace etc... New England needs more and better Tiki!!! but thanks for the recommendations anyway... Is there any other 1950's cool place that I should visit?
Mr. Ho, thanks for the invitation/plug
I'm in Cambridge...
Trade? yeah!
Viva el Hub!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Mar 31, 2010 4:34 PM

Come on guys!!! I'm leaving in 9 days! let's have a party before I split! Don't leave me thinking that Bostonians are frosty!

Ok - lets put something together New England Ohana. Zeta needs to meet the Ohana. I am the last person to pull it together with my mobility issues - but I will try my darndest to get somewhere that we can arrange.
Exotic Island is always available, but it may not have the proper 'provenance'. But the films are def spectacular!

H

I'd love to meet up. I'm not a great "puller-together-er", but a Kowloon or even a Tiki Island meet-up before Zeta leaves would be worth a try.

I know it's Easter weekend, but how is late Saturday afternoon or evening for people?

T

Passover is putting a damper on things, one thing after another but I'm game for an evening watch you all snack on Saturday.

X
xtine posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2010 6:18 AM

Oh man! I missed these posts and didn't realize we had an exotic visitor! I'm up for anything starting April 6. That's like 1 night before you leave Zeta. Anyway, if anything happens on the 6th or the 7th before you leave I'm game!

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2010 10:10 PM

Aloha amigos! Back in Mexico City... I had an awesome time in Weird New England... There IS so much tiki stuff there... Beautiful land, (the weather sucks, though) Viva Boston!

Z

Anyone heard of this tiki tour thing? Trying to decide if it is worth it

http://www.facebook.com/northeasttikitour

K

On 2010-10-03 18:11, Zonker88 wrote:

The Northeast Tiki Tour is always a great time. It's organized by Bargoyle. More information will be available and tickets will be on sale soon!

Yes, definitely worth it. Just watch how fast it sells out.

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2010-10-11 08:03 ]

MH

Just a reminder for the NE tiki ohana - this Thurday, the Orchestrotica's exotica quartet is doing a free show in Brookline, MA at the Fireplace. Lotsa new music from the upcoming album to be played! Details:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38006&forum=4

Hope to see you there!

B

On 2010-10-03 18:11, Zonker88 wrote:

Well, this year is going to be a bit scaled down. The NeTT was getting a bit too big, and becoming a logistical nightmare (multiple buses, too many folks to be at the small stops at the same time, etc etc). So now we've got OHANA to go & get big and unruly! lol

But alot of folks missed the bus tour, so yeah, its back. Tickets & all info will be posted tmrw. There is only ONE bus this year, which means only 50 seats, and when they're gone, they're gone.

Full info in the Nett thread tmrw. Hope you join us zonker. And break a leg Mr Ho. Wish I could make it.

S

Sorry I won't be able to make it back to MA for this. Have an awesome time, kids! Miss you all!

Suzanne

T

On 2010-10-13 15:41, suzanne wrote:
Sorry I won't be able to make it back to MA for this. Have an awesome time, kids! Miss you all!

Suzanne

So much for the special guest bartender. You will be missed.

She will be missed.... now who will step up and fill that empty seat on the bus, huh?

-Rev

MH

Ho ho ho from Mr. Ho!

Man, the NE ohana missed a good exotica show last night at Johnny D's! Didn't see as many aloha shirts and tikiphiles out there as I like to (always nice playing for the "outsiders" haha) , but hope to see you all in January at the big Esquivel CD release show (23pc big band plays the new album in it's entirety, plus a quick preview-set from the exotica quartet who perform a full length show Jan 30th at Club Passim in Cambridge, MA with local surf band, The Electric Space Heaters).

We're also in NYC on Dec 2 - http://orchestrotica.com/shows.cfm for those down in southern CT!

If you missed the show news, you can join the mailing list at http://orchestrotica.com/mailinglist.cfm?ref=tc1104

saludos,
Mr. Ho and the Orchestrotica

B

Dusting this sucker off again....

Working on some more stuff in New England (but don't feel you need to wait on me!! Go! Support tiki!)

Tiki Retreat in the Berkshires... trying to nail down a date and get a hotel discount for everyone. Most likely LATE summer... if I can wait that long. Luau Hale's drinks are fantastic!

And I'm dying for some Cheese Monas, so I'm thinking a meet-up at Ken Chins in Worcester is very close on the horizon.

And pretty much anytime anyone wants to do the Kowloon/Bali Hai double-play, I'm in.

Also, the Hukelau in Chicopee has their Hawaiian Show the next three Fridays this month!! I'm gone the next two weekends, but don't let that stop you! Just be sure to bring a flask, as their cocktails are nearly devoid of rum.

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2011-07-05 08:19 ]

Captain Quad and I are planning to hit Ho Kong on Friday, August 26, and it might even turn into a mini tour to encompass Mon Kou as well. I know Fridays probably aren't ideal, but we'd love to meet up with anyone who's interested!

Aloha y'all!

We'll be in Chicopee this summer visiting family and are planning to be at the HuKeLau for dinner & a show on Friday, August 5th if y'all are up for it!

Bringing my grandmother to celebrate her 94th birthday (Yes, I said 94!)so please stop by to say hello if you decide to join us!

(BTW, I grew up in MA, and the HuKeLau was my v. first exposure to Tiki. Now, we live in Arizona, but visit the the HuKeLau every time we go back :)!

Looking forward to a good time!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2011 4:56 PM

Arriving Bostonia on this Wednesday 13 at 6.30 PM leave Sept. 13. Will spend most of the time in the Peoples Republic of Cambridge. Also, will visit lobster festival in Maine. Who want to meet sometime? Also trade tiki stuff... (Check my international marketplace) New England, here I come!!!

B

Zeta,

I hope you made it to the free Waitiki show last night!!!

I had to miss it. :( Stupid job.

H

Zeta, do you know the restaurant Dali on the Cambridge/Somerville line? Not tiki, but a gorgeous place with wonderful tapas and cocktails if you're getting homesick and want a break from pu pu platters. :)

http://www.dalirestaurant.com/

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2011 6:40 AM

Waitiki show? I missed it! :( Stupid 5 hour thunderstorm flight delay!
Dali Restaurant? Will definetly check it out.

Thank you guys! Any other recomendations? I am looking for anything old and authentic. Trully American.

Love New England!

B

Old "authentic" tiki places? Or just old authentic New England?

MH

Zeta,

The Orchestrotica's exotica quartet is in Cambridge on July 29th if you're looking for advanced warning on shows :wink: Hope you can make it! Details at orchestrotica.com .

saludos desde la republica,
Mr. Ho

Tiki-Tina, you may see some of us on the 5th.

And if you havent seen the Hukelau show in awhile, its actually gotten pretty good. Which is good and bad. I kind of liked the super cheesy old show. And yes, the drinks are still pretty much devoid of alcohol, so bring a flask! lol

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2011-07-15 11:50 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jul 19, 2011 4:53 AM

Thanks Mr. Ho, I'll try to make it to your show. if I'm in town, I'll be there for sure...
Bargoyle or anyone, I'm looking for tiki or any other midcentury (or not) coolness in New England... Is there a thread like that here at TC ? Maybe in Beyond tiki? If not, maybe we should start one... What do you tiki type people suggest me to see? I have been here many times before, so the tiki temples I have explored, but I'm sure I'm still missing a lot of other cool spots. Suggestions?

MH

not a lot of MCM here that I know of but for stores, check out two of my favorites:

Abodeon (Mass ave in Cambridge)
Reside Inc (also in Cambridge)

Abodeon is right near the Porter Sq. T Stop. Reside is a little more in a residential area and is more furniture oriented while Abodeon is housewares and some furniture. Nice stuff...$$$!

hope to see ya on the 29th,

Mr. Ho

The only cool mid century kitschy stuff was on route 1, up by the Kowloon & Bali Hai, but its all being bulldozed to make way for mini-malls & the like. :(

In addition to Kowloon & Bali Hai, the South Pacific is a must hit, and if you're out near Gloucester, you MUST go see our friends at Ryan & Wood distilleries, makers of Folly Cove Rum, and continuous supporters of the Ohana event! Plus, its just damn good fun to watch rum being made!!!

Other than those, there's some good stuff in Western Mass, but I'm not sure what your transportation situation is. The Luau Hale, out in Lenox (the berkshires) is actually fantastic. Great drinks & food, and some beautiful murals. There's also the HuKeLau in Chicopee, MA, which still does a polynesian floor show and has some great decor (even post-remodel) but the food and drinks leave a bit to be desired. And Ken Chin's in Worcester (home of the Cheese Mona... deeeeelicious!!). Ken has long since passed, but his wife Judy makes everything fresh, and while much of the decor is gone, Judy is awesome and will regale you with tales of the old days, and the food and drink are fantastic! Seriously. Try the Cheese Monas. You'll be dreaming about them until your next trip back here!

And of course, the Lono Lounge is always open if you, or anyone else, find themselves in Tolland, CT at any point.

Oh, and if you REALLY feel like driving, there's always Lake George, with more googie retro MCM stuff than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention the world famous Tiki Resort, home of the Ohana event (that you just missed unfortunately). One of my favorite spots, even when Ohana isn't swinging.

Hi Zeta, I'm having my annual party at my home Tiki Lounge on Saturday July 30 and you're certainly invited to come and meet a few of the local Tiki folk (as well as my friends and family).

We're just about 40 minutes North of Boston in Southern New Hampshire.

Here's the announcement thread with info:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40661&forum=4&0

Hope to see you there!

Hi Zeta - If you haven't been to Tiki Mondays at ThinkTank in Cambridge, I recommend a visit. The music and drinks are good, and cheap Polynesian appetizers 5-7 PM are a bonus. Brother Cleve, who runs this show, is a feature of the American tiki/lounge scene who is both old and authentic. :)

X
xtine posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 6:29 PM

Not Tiki at all but if you like a good ol' Italian Feast with fried dough and fried...everything else we are having a party to celebrate that one will be happening in front of our apartment.

http://fishermansfeast.com/

Entertainment this year is:
Friday - Larry Chance and the Earls singing their classic hits "Remember","Life is but a dream" and more
Saturday - Jay and the Americans performing their hits "Cara Mia" and "Come a Little Bit Closer"

each night the show starts at 9:15pm. PM me if you think you'll be coming by and you can stop by our apartment for drinks!

MH

Just a reminder that tonight is the Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica's Exotica Night in Cambridge, MA at the Lilly Pad. 830pm. Hope to see ya!

http://orchestrotica.com/newsletters.cfm for the latest.

best,
Mr. Ho

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2011 7:29 AM

Jola everyone! Thanks for your warm reply!
Mr. Ho and Granite tiki, I'm leaving right now for a damn stupid wedding in Newport (don't tell my girlfriend I said that). Why god? WHY?
Good luck and have a drink for me!

T

Aloha NE Tiki peeps!

It's confirmed, my ohana, including my fabulous 94 year old grandmother, will be taking in the sites and sounds of all that is the HukeLau in Chicopee on August 5th, and we hope to see you there, too! (Looking at your Bargoyle)!

We have reservations for dinner at 6pm and the show starts at 7:15pm, so why not make a weekend of it and stay the night at the Hampton Inn just up the road.

We are and hope to meet some of you soon!

Aloha and safe travels!

xoxo

Some of us are thinking about a get together at Kowloon on Saturday, September 10th.... anyone interested?

MH

I have a rare free weekend and might be up for that. Where are the details?

Mr. Ho

T

On 2011-08-22 17:36, rev_thumper wrote:
Some of us are thinking about a get together at Kowloon on Saturday, September 10th.... anyone interested?

Yay! See you as long as I don't forget!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies