Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

R
Rain posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 6:51 AM

that's so cool! maybe the moai had millions of tiny legs underneath, like humma kavula.

i once looked into trying to make little vacuform moai bodies for those micro-size RC cars, but after one failed attempt i got distracted and did something else. THAT would be a fun and pointless thing to do. maybe i should just bite and get a reasonable-sized RC, then make a moai-in-a-flying-saucer body.

when do you guys want to try Mon Kou? (just remind me not to get the duck.)

Ok New Englanders.....

The Bargoyle is sick & tired of living in a hotel, and he's ready to go out and play.

Who's with me? I'm still up for the Kowloon (especially after hearing about the bowls that I missed out on!!) but could be talked into just about anything.

That damn Red Robin Mai Tai just aint cutting it anymore.

This weekend...4/22...who's with me?

J

I have to check with the planner (our weekends have been very full lately!) but I'm definitely game for something this weekend. Kowloon might be tough but there's always that place in Attleboro we haven't checked out yet. Name???

There's always my local haunt, the House of Wu. Not tiki at all but they have killer drinks (the volcano bowls are most potent) and awesome wings. And you guys are more than welcome to crash at casa de Johnman. And last I checked my pimp tiki bar is still standing (picture black leather and chrome, plus some tikis).

Again I have no clue as to what is going on Saturday, but hopefully its zero!

BTW thanks for kicking the dust off this thread.

johnpez posted a mug the other day from the Royal Hawaiian in Burlington, MA. It looks like it's still there--any interest in that? I'm up for a trip this week--didn't go to North Carolina as I'd hoped...

R
Rain posted on Tue, Apr 18, 2006 4:46 AM

On 2006-04-17 14:38, johnman wrote:
Kowloon might be tough but there's always that place in Attleboro we haven't checked out yet. Name???

Mon Kou. We might be up for that this weekend.

B

Sweet. Mon Kou or the Royal Hawaiian. I'm up for either...hell, I'm up for both!!

Prob. lenaing toward the Mon Kou. Saturday work for everyone? Late Lunch? 2-ish?

Or do we wanna do dinner?

R
Rain posted on Thu, Apr 20, 2006 7:46 PM

sorry guys, i'm gonna have to back out of this one. looming deadlines have made the last couple of weeks hell, and will continue to be a problem for another couple of weeks. then we're golden :D

OK-- Mon Kou @ 3:30.

Rain, catch you at the next one (Tahitian it Dedham??)

Royal Hawaiian in Burlington, MA --defunct. :(

I'm not going to make it either, but have fun!

by the way, is anyone here going to Tiki Oasis?

--SBiM

An afternoon start?

I might be able to do that. I just have to be able to get to N. Chelmsford by 8:00

I'm going to check mapquest and see how much time I'll require.

B

Sweeet. We'll be there!! and maybe even be there early to sample the mixology....so, appologies in advance if that demon rum gets ahold of me! Looking forward to it.

J

No appology required BG. I wish the wahine was coming then I would have to appologize in advance too. Though I still plan on knocking back at least a couple. Hopefully Mon Kou delivers something other than Kool Aid and vodka.

SBiM I wish I was going to Tiki Oasis. It sounds like it'll be an awesome time. If possible snap a pic of the Bali Hai's drink menu for me. It provides pretty good detail on what rums etc go into their drinks and it would be helpful when trying to replicate the tastes here.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Mon Kou tomorrow - Aloha!

R
Rain posted on Sat, Apr 22, 2006 6:52 AM

On 2006-04-21 15:22, johnman wrote:
Hopefully Mon Kou delivers something other than Kool Aid and vodka.

yeah, they have a small selection of tropical drinks, and they do have scorpion bowls :D have fun, evrahbody! i hope to join you next time.

J

Yeah the drinks weren't bad Rain. I had a Navy Grog that was surprisingly very close in taste to the real thing (not used to that around here). The Mon Kou Mai Tai was ok - not even close to the real deal but drinkable.

Fortunately Pappy fixed us up a nice round of Mai Tais at his place later in the evening and they were superb. We also got to test out Pappy's latest concoction, Jungle Madness, and I must say it was pretty good - smooth and not too sweet. Recipe here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19119&forum=10&14

Can't wait until the next adventure all!

B

I have to concur with johnman. The Mon Kou was just ok. There was one wall FULL of tikis & masks, but that was about it. The rest was chinese resteraunt decor (with a few REALLY nice murals).

The cocktails, while not "traditional", were all pretty tasty & drinkable (they had nothing on Pappy's mixing however!). I'm still not sure what was in the "secret sauce" tub that the bartender kept ladeling into the cocktails...and I dont wanna know.

I was a little disapointed with the food. I think we all had Polynesian dishes, and all of them left something to be desired (my 4 happinesses had maybe 2 happinesses, max)

In all, well worth the trip if you're in the area, and with the lack of tiki joints up here, its prob worth a short ride.

Up next...the Tahiti. More details to come. (oh, and all my pics of the Mon Kou came out crappy, so its up to Pappy to post some good ones)

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2006-04-24 14:35 ]

R
Rain posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 1:37 PM

shame about the mon kou... like you said, though, pappy, not a lot going on around here :/

anyone ever check out that newish tiki place right IN boston next axis/avalon? i think i saw photos somewhere that made it look like some young townie club rather than a retro lounge, but i was just curious.

B

Yeah, I've been to that place by Fenway (avalon, etc). I think its called "The Tiki Room" or something. Decor was ok, food was almost ok, and the drinks left alot to be desired. Worth checking out before or after a game if your in Boston, but I wouldnt go out of my way to get there

R
Rain posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 4:17 PM

On 2006-05-09 15:44, Bargoyle wrote:
but I wouldnt go out of my way to get there

bah. very disappointing. why can't a REAL tiki enthusiast win the lottery and open something? is that too much to ask?

J

Yeah Tiki Room in Boston sounded promising until I read their drink menu. Just imagine a Mai Tai with zero lime juice and Capt. Morgan. If I do ever end up in the area I would certainly have to check it out.

B

Ok,

My vacation is all set. Going to sunny Florida end of June. Doing Disney for a few days, then on to the Mai Kai for Sat, July 1st. If anyone else is gonna be there at that time let me know & we'll hook up!

Been jonesin' for a mystery drink for over a year now!!

You know what the problem with America is? It's too darn big. The Mai Kai should be an few hours drive from everywhere...

Who's up for the Tahiti Restaurant in Dedham on Sat. the 20th?

R
Rain posted on Wed, May 10, 2006 6:57 PM

On 2006-05-10 13:29, Bargoyle wrote:
Ok,

My vacation is all set. Going to sunny Florida end of June. Doing Disney for a few days, then on to the Mai Kai for Sat, July 1st. If anyone else is gonna be there at that time let me know & we'll hook up!

there's a possibility of that for us, too... more likely it'll be mid july, but i'll keep it in mind just in case.

B

Rain- keep me posted if you decide to go early

Pappy- I'm all over the Tahiti, but the 20th doesn't work for me. Any chance of pushing it back a week?

Pappy- I'm all over the Tahiti, but the 20th doesn't work for me. Any chance of pushing it back a week?

OK. I'm game. As long as we go someplace this month!

J

Hi folks! Don't know if the 20th will work for me but maybe the following week. The Tahitian sounds promising Pappy - the drink menu actually mentions 15 year rum in their Mai Tais. At $4.90 a drink it can't be true. Maybe it's 15 year old Bacardi:) Anyway I'm totally up for a night out just gotta confirm things here (I never know what the heck is on our schedule).

Bargoyle I'm envious man - Mai Kai is in your immediate future. Looks like I'll be holding out for the HKL. I'm just itching to make reservations!

Greetings New Englanders!

When I was out east visiting family, my brother and I stumbled upon Tiki Island in Medford Mass. We sat at the small bar in the back. The Zombie I had was one of the best I've ever had -- and I've been around the block a couple of times when it comes to tiki drinks. We only ordered an egg roll, and it had that light and delicious East Coast Chinese food flavor (those from the midwest, who transplanted from the east coast will know what I mean).

I can't say much more about the rest of the food or drink, other than to say I wish we had eaten dinner there rather than go to the place we did go too. In any case, it seems like those in range of this place might want to give it a whirl.

Tiki Island Restaurant
(781) 391-0477
269 Middlesex Ave
Medford, MA 02155

I, Z

http://www.tikiislandrestaurant.com/

I think Tikisgrl mentioned this before. Has anyone been there recently?

Looks pretty good from the website. They even show the drinks in tiki mugs. I'm wondering if any are served that way.

Hopefully my musician schedule will allow me to come out some time.

Re. the Tahiti in Dedham on the 20th--is that out? If so, who can go on the 27th? We're in danger of having no N.E. Tiki Event this month!

Pappy, the problem is, it's monsoon season apparently.

--sbim

Did a little rain stop The Hukilau? Did it stop the New Orleans Saints? Did it stop the French Foreign Legion?

I served with the French Foreign Legion, I knew the French Foreign Legion, the French Foreign Legion was a friend of mine. Pappy, you are no French Foreign Legion.

J

We won't be able to make the 27th :cry: This month is killing us with bills - kid birthdays, anniversary (yeah - 8 years for us!), mother's day, and I could drag this on even more. Tell ya its now that I need a Tiki fix more than anything too.

If by any chance you're thinking about doing something in June I'm definitely game. My birthday's on the 30th and a little Tiki road trip would be the perfect present from the wahine.

T

Hey don't mean to digress but I hope everyone is mostly dry and safe after our record, and incredibly depressing rainy spell?

Basements a little wet here... but other than that Lowell missed the worst of the flooding...

Tikisgrl

J

All dry here. Looks like MA and NH got it the worse.

It was nice to see the sun again today!

Geez. Do I hafta put on my pom poms? No wonder the Californians hate us...

Tiki Event! Tiki Event! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Let's get drunk at a Chinese bar! (this rhymes where I'm from)

R
Rain posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 6:30 AM

AAUUUGH. my deadline has been extended another two weeks, which means a) i'll actually finish the work, but b) i get to suffer for two more weeks. i'm in the mines 'til june :(

B

Johnman: Happy aniversary!! As far as june 30th, I'll be in Florida, so cant make it bro. If you're nice, maybe you'll get a bday gift from the Mai Kai.

This weather has sucked!! We just moved back into the house, and now all stuff in storage in the back basement is wet. Fire AND a flood!! I'm gonna be uninsurable!! heh heh.

Anyway, I'm up for a trip in May....Is anyone still in for the 27th?...this comming sat.... Tahiti? HuKeLau? Local Chinese digs? Maybe a sheet rock hanging party at the Bargoyle's? BYOB....and byo-sheetrock.

I'm with pappy here...rah rah rah! I'm in for the 27th. Wahine Jess is in by proxy....who else is comming?

RAH, people!!! RAH!!!!!!!!!

no? how 'bout Yar? Yar, people, yar?

27th won't work for us.

I'm in a strange place right now. My organization is dissolving, I will be laid off on Friday, but it looks very likely that in the process I will end up getting a professional advancement and a raise by being picked up by another org.

--sbim

J

BG thanks for the anniversary wishes. Gifts aren't necessary but who am I to stop you. Hope you have an awesome time in FL!

Man I so wish I could do something the 27th. Just got invited to a bday party for Missy's uncle. The big 65th for him.

June 10th is a good day for me in case we plan a trip next month. I'm up for anything.

SBiM sorry to hear about the job - hopefully the possible advancement works out.

B

Ok Cats & Kittens,

Seems like June 10th is a workable date. (we'll just call May a rain-out) I guess the two front runners are Tiki Island in Medford and Tahiti in Dedham. Anyone got a preference?

Jess & I were thinking about doing Tahiti this weekend even though no one else can come, so I'm leaning towards T.I. Unless, of course, Tahiti is so super-fantabulous that it warrants another visit from the NE Ohana.

Who's in, and where do you wanna go?

Either will work with me but Medford is further so I prefer Tahiti.

A

Hi all y'all in the Great Northeast! Tikivixen, her hubby, my daughter, and I will be at the Kowloon on June 7 (we're staying nearby at the Red Roof the 6th - 9th), and would love it if some of you would like to join us for dinner/drinks! We could move the date a day in either direction, but the 7th would be the most sane for us.

We're also going to be hitting the Burlington, VT area the nites of the 9th and 10th; Christmas Cove, ME on the 11th and 12th; and then will be back in the Boston area the 13th - 16th (we leave then).

I hope we can get together with some of you - or even all of you!

amiotiki (Tina)

J

Depending on BG's review of Tahiti I'm probably more up to going there. T.I. is probably 2 hrs each way for us - yeah, that's my inner whiny Rhode Islander talking (everything is far to us!). T.I. is certainly on the list, but probably part of a weekend getaway to the Cape.

Hey amiotiki! Nice to hear you'll be in the neighborhood. I myself won't be able to go to the Kowloon, but you're sure gonna like it! Be sure to tell the host (can't remember his name) that you heard about the Kowloon on TC.

B

Never made it to Tahiti this weekend. Messed my back up (again) and pretty much just layed low.

So, I guess Tahiti is the call. A little closer for everyone.

I think I've been to T.I. before. Have to check my records. A few years back (maybe 3?) I was on the cape for business, and hit just about everything listed in Tiki RoadTrip.

Nothing too memorable unfortunately, but it seems like it'd be a good weekend getaway stop. Weekend on the cape, days at the beach, nights with Mai Tais.....

Now if I only had more vacation time!

Anyway, who's in for Tahiti??

June 10, right? I'm in. Let's get a mob this month!

J

Miss and I are in for the 10th.

There's a decent chance that we are going to go to IKEA soon, and if we go on the 10th, then we could join in the festivities.

--sbim

IZ

Dear New Englanders,

This is a little ways out, but thought I'd mention it. Four people from the Minnesota Ohana are going to be in Boston on Thursday, August 10, and will be heading for Tiki Island in Medford for Zombies, Grogs, and grub. If you're nearby, and interested in joining us, let me know. I'll know more details as the date gets closer, but thought I'd at least get the date out there.

Mahalo,

I, Zombie, Karol Kay-Ahhs, Quince_at_Danny's, and Varla.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies