Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

B

OK, Im making a run up to NH before the Ho Kong. Fireworks & booze!!! Anyone need anything from up north while I'm there?

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.

J

Pappy your birthday too? What a coincidence. Bargoyle it looks like we'll need 3 bottles of Appleton 21 year and 3 large tiki masks to cover gifts (if Pappy is kidding then I get his gifts). I know you hate being cheap but that will really do. Seriously - no obligation to bring anything for me. Just reopen my tab at the Lono and I'm fine:)

A belated bday to you JP!!! Wish I was sippin Mai Tais at the Polynesian for mine - but the tropical paradise that is Woonsocket, RI is a close second. Am I drunk already?

See you at the Ho Kong at 7 tomorrow night.

Yes, I'm a kidder.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to make it tonight. Too much going on here.
But we will get everyone together at LEAST once more before we bug out of town.

..sb

R
Rain posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 5:47 AM

sorry i'm oblivious - happy belated to alla youse.

How's this for irony?

While Bargoyle was in NH, I was on my way to Penn. for a gig, and some guys in the band wanted to stop at their favorite deli on the way, and all of a sudden I find myself practically in Bargoyles neighborhood! Right next to the hotel I stayed in went I went to his party!

Hope you all had a blast last night!

Had a really great time hanging out with y'all. The Ho Kong's got it going on, almost. Bargoyle & Pappy, thanks so much for the gifts - very generous. Homemade grenadine & 15-year rum, what? If last night was a mere preview of the NE TIKI TOUR then I'm psyched, cannot wait!

J

Yes - many thanks for the gifts Pappy and Bargoyle. Miss and I had an awesome time. Man did that last drink do me in! I was out by the time we got home and am still feeling a little zombified.

Now it is time to rest for the big event in August!

B

And once again, NO PICTURES. I dont know how you do it johnman. Everytime I'm wasted the paparatzi pop out like Paris Hilton came in for a MaiTai. But you...you always keep it off camera man. Im impressed! lol

Great to see eveyone. We had a blast, and I'm pleasantly impressed with the Ho Kong. Decor was pretty good, food was pretty good, and apart from the Mai Tai, the cocktails we pretty good.

Hey hey, no rest for the wicked!!!!

Party at my place!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24784&forum=4&0

B

Wow,

this thread hasnt been touched in awhile! Well, Im dusting it off. Two orders of business...

#1) where are we gonna meet up in sept? and when? Or is the Tiki Tour gonna hold us over for a bit. I'm partial to checking out the Summer Shack in Somerville that used to be an Aku-Aku (I think its in somerville). I heard that a bunch of Aku-Aku's decor is in there, still intact.

#2) In my attempts to get some press coverage of the Tiki Tour I've been speaking with a lovely woman at the Globe who is considering a piece on the tiki "lifestyle". She wants some locals who would be willing to be interviewed. I guess I'm not local enough (or coherent!) :(

So, if you're interested in getting some ink thats NOT under your skin and you're a Mass guy or gal, pm me and I'll give your info to the globe.

Lets spead the tiki word people!!!

hopefully I manage to sell my house soon enough, and I will have a goodbye party to use up my booze.
That would be an opportunity to get together, but I dont know when it will happen.

..sb

I'm for drinking all of SBs hooch AND for getting together in September.

Wow! I'm just imagining emptying out SB's liquor closet:

"OK. That's the last of the Hiram Walker."
"Thank God. What do we have left?"
"Pernod, Captain Morgan, Creme de Banana and crab juice."
"Bleeeeaaah! Gimme the crab juice."

well, I need someone to finish off my Allen's Coffee Brandy.
It may be the most popular booze in Maine, but nobody I know likes it. or at least admits to liking it.

..sb

and I don't actually have any of that other stuff. :P

B

Nothing washes down a Khlav Kalash like a delicious Crab juice!

B

ps. anyone want to be in this tiki article or what?

T

I'm pretty sure you said coherent? That let's me out of the article! Tikisgrl

Would it be wrong to seriously mess with her head!
Yeah, probably!

I think that messing with her head would seriously negate the potential for upbeat positive exposure for tiki culture in the northeast! Just my two cents...

B

Waitiki is playing on Sept 6th (thurs) in Boston. Anyone else wanna join me?

It's at the Beehive, a hip new club which has great food and nice drinks. My favorite is the Beehive Julep, which is basically a Mojito with fresh orange. Good stuff! The atmosphere is great, and there's always a nice crowd there. It's in the South End, not far from the Theatre District, on the corner of Tremont and Clarendon. Walking distance from Back Bay Station. Just in case. Not the most Tiki of venues, but very hip, and somehow the crowd gets us.

S

I could be up for that... But I'm known change my mind at the last minute when contemplating a drive into Boston at rush hour...

On 2007-08-23 10:29, Scottes wrote:
I could be up for that... But I'm known change my mind at the last minute when contemplating a drive into Boston at rush hour...

Focus not on the drive into Boston at rush hour, which is a minor inconvenience; put on the Martin Denny, the Arthur Lyman, the Les Baxter, and prepare your mind. When you arrive, there is valet parking. Forget the drive. Enter the club and enjoy the ambience, the drinks, the show. When you are ready to drive home, there will be no more rush hour.

S

LOL! I'm now planning to be there!

I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try.

S

What time is this Beehive event?

Thursday Sept. 6 at 9 pm. The Beehive is at 541 Tremont St Boston, next to the Cyclorama (a large theater), and at the corner of Tremont and Clarendon in the South End. Not far from Back Bay Station.

S

Is anyone else planning on seeing Waitiki at the Beehive?

Does anyone have any ideas for another September get-together? I know we're all tuckered out from NETT, but I'm so hyped right now that I don't think I can go a whole month without more laughs, tiki, good friends and Mai Tais.

I wish I could throw something at my house, but this place is in no condition for a shindig. I'm working on convincing the wife to convert the downstairs family room into some sort of entertainment facility. Does anyone know where I can get enough bamboo to cover a 13x25 room?

S

Another idea for you New Englanders... Just to test the waters to see if there's interest...

Would any of you be interested in a Rum Tasting? As many of you know I have quite a collection - currently 80 rums, seen here: http://scottesrum.com/my-lists-of-rums/.

I'm thinking about a couple ways to do this:

1. Take a chosen selection of 12-15 rums and concentrate on comparisons: compare 3 whites, a cachaca and an agricole, compare 3 golds, 2 aged agricoles, 2 demeraras, and finish with a number of fine sipping rums.

2. Take a chosen selection of 12-15 rums and approach them by concentrating on building up knowledge and differences (Puerto Rican vs Barbadan vs Jamaican, for instance). Go through one at a time, discussing the islands, its rum tendencies, and what to expect.

3. Free-for-all. I'll bring in 30 rums, you try the ones you like.

For 1 or 2, I can imagine that I'd prepare some notes and do some talking as we go. I've done a ton of small-group public speaking so this is easy. End each "round" with a discussion of the rums, the tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

For 3, I'd imagine this would be much quieter - I would not do much talking. Instead I'd prepare a small write-up of each rum and you could read as you liked.

In either case, we'd have to think about tiny tastes, like 1/4 oz. 15 rums at 1/4 oz is 4 oz of booze, and enough to catch a fairly good buzz. Of course, once done with the tasting there'd be some left over. :)

I'm thinking I'd have to charge $5-10 a person, which might cover the cost of the rum but I'm not looking to make a profit, just break even.

Secondly - where? I think that New Tiki might be a good bet, since they have a small (but not tiny) back room which would do for a private function. We'd be able to order food to help absorb the alcohol, and afterwards we could finish the night with Mai Tais and such. Brian would probably be open to this, but of course I'd have to check.

Third - Is this even legal? I have no idea if I would be allowed to bring 15 open bottles of booze in my car, serve my alcohol at another establishment, and then drag those open bottles home... But if people are interested I can look into all this and figure out a way to make it happen.

Thoughts/comments?

B

Scottes,

LOVE the idea. And as proffesional drinker, but amateur Rum Scholar, I think #2 would be the coolest. Kind of like "and a bottle of rum" the home course. You'll need to print some Certificates of Rumology 101. Advanced course offered in the future?

I'm not sure how cool an establishment is going to be with bringing your own booze (even Brian at New Tiki) but I'm working on something right now for October, and maybe we could roll the tasting event into it.

We can discuss more at the Waitiki show.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 5:37 PM

Awesome idea, and more than worth the cost. I'd also say #2, but any of them would be great.

I am very much in favor of this! I do think that to avoid legal and philosophical/commercial issues, a private location would be better. Too bad there is not yet a Northeast Chapter of FOM; that would be the ideal location! I also back the printing of certificates, which, if I pull some strings, could be accredited by Okonkuluku University, which could accrue towards the degree of Cocktailology. Fortunately, the Village Elders, which also serve as Trustees of the University, are easily plied with rum.

BTW, and update on the Beehive: Music runs from 10pm to 1:30. As a new place, they are still shifting things around to find what works, and this is the new schedule. Thanks for coming, See you there!

S

On 2007-09-05 09:20, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I am very much in favor of this! I do think that to avoid legal and philosophical/commercial issues, a private location would be better. Too bad there is not yet a Northeast Chapter of FOM; that would be the ideal location! I also back the printing of certificates, which, if I pull some strings, could be accredited by Okonkuluku University, which could accrue towards the degree of Cocktailology. Fortunately, the Village Elders, which also serve as Trustees of the University, are easily plied with rum.

My thought was that a private function place might be too expensive because there's generally a lot of overhead. And someone's home might be too small, unless there's only a small amount. But you are right about legalities, etc. If there's enough interest then a conference center would be cheaper per person, for sure.

Anyone know how much a hotel/conference center charges for a room for 20 people for 3 hours? I might have to make some calls...

As to certificates, accreditation by Okonkuluku U would be great!

S

On 2007-09-05 09:23, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
BTW, and update on the Beehive: Music runs from 10pm to 1:30.

Geez, I'm usually in bed by 10:00! (Well, I'm up at 5:00, so....)

B

On 2007-09-05 09:20, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Too bad there is not yet a Northeast Chapter of FOM; that would be the ideal location!

In the interim, until a fully functioning lodge is built, the Lono Lounge serves gracefully as the NE HQ.

Or whatever joint we're boozing in at the time. I guess in reality, we've got a mobile HQ....keeps the "man" off our backs! heh heh.

See ya tmrw Mayor, although the 10.00 start time is a bit tuff on a school nite with a 2 hour drive to get home!

But hey, waitiki in Boston...how can I miss it?

That's easy: It's a weeknight, Boston is 75 minutes from home when I'm sober and I have a day job at a company where I'm not the president! :wink:

B

On 2007-09-05 13:13, pappythesailor wrote:

That's easy: It's a weeknight, Boston is 75 minutes from home when I'm sober and I have a day job at a company where I'm not the president! :wink:

Hey! I'm 90+ minutes away, and I have a day job.....where.....where I'm the first one in and the last one to leave because I LEAD BY EXAMPLE!!...

Now, the 2 hour nap I'll go take at lunchtime....thats nobody's business but mine. :wink: So we'll see ya tmrw night, right pappy?

Oh, and I'm definately leaving early, so appologies in advance (but I think I'm also going to be there early).

So, I'll see....everyone....someone.....anyone...tommorrow!!

S

Yeah, I don't think that I'll make it to 1:30! Sheesh.

J

Scottes - I'm certainly up for a Rum tasting. Just name the time and place and I'll (try) to be there.

Well I'm happy I read the Mayor's post about the late start tomorrow night. 9 was rough for me and I didn't want to haul up to Boston just to get there late. Now 10 is a whole other story. I can make it there in time for the first tune! Work at 7 the next morning will suck but sometimes work at 7 just has to suck. See you tomorrow night!!!

MH

i vote for number 2.

as far as the accreditation goes , i'll have to check with the Compliance Department at O.K.U. Word has it that some certifications in mixology were "bought" via bribes in the form of rum samples. I'm not sure how this happened (I wasn't sober at the time) nor do I know where the OKU Puh-Lease department was either, but word has it this will be debated and discussed at the Beehive.

By the way, WAITIKI is still impacting (and compacting the asses of) some people in the South End who apparently complaimed and were offended by some fruit sacrifices that the Mayor made to the Gauds last time we played there. To appease these offendees (also the name of the attackers or attacantes in portuguese futbol), we will primarily do a music only show in public but between sets, we will try to be ass offensive as we normally are.

mr. ho

S

Okonkuluku University Rumology 101

I like it.

I think I'll like Rumology 201 and 301 even more.... :)

And then what about Okonkuluku university Tiki Cocktailogy 101?
Where's Pappy?
Pappy?
OH, Paaaaaaaap-eeeeeeee....??

Don't wait for me. I like Myers' and Pusser's. Expensive rum makes me sad. I drink it and think: "Waaah! This rum is costing me a fortune. I hate it."

S

Well, for $5 you can at least try some of the good stuff.

But I was thinking more of have you lead Tiki Cocktailogy 101.... I mean, after your bartending course you are The Man.

K

On 2007-09-06 06:08, pappythesailor wrote:
Don't wait for me. I like Myers' and Pusser's. Expensive rum makes me sad. I drink it and think: "Waaah! This rum is costing me a fortune. I hate it."

If you live near a NH state liquor store, there's an awesome coupon for Mount Gay this month: 1.75 that's normally $27.99 is currently going for $11.99.
http://www.nhliquorwineoutlets.com/2007/september/coupons/Coupon%2014.pdf

Once again, guys, sorry for the later start than expected. We will be there on hand for earlier arrivals, but in more the drinking capacity unti the anointed hour. So don't be afraid to show up by 9, we'll be there! Looking very much forward to seeing you all!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies