Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 5:58 PM

Mr ho want to confirm too dat waitiki drink menu to be offered! They have mean mai tai already - hope you can enjoy some of our own concoctions!

mr ho

That's great news on the drink menu. I have sampled everything several times.

I propose that if you bring your own sumo suit, we waive the cover!

HC

Hey Mayor,
Is Boxboro Ma. near ya? I'm heading to a wedding this weekend down that way. If my old truck can make it.....Then I just may get to ya . (depends just how rocking the reception is) I'm looking to find more of us (I suppose an inflatable sumo outfit is MORE of us !) Mahalo , Greg

B

On 2006-08-02 11:08, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

Johnman...you thinkin what I'm thinkin?

heh heh.... a few more pupu's and I wont even need a suit to inflate ...just strap on a sumo-thong... lol

Ok, sorry for that visual everyone.

Lookin forward to the 5th!

Also, does anyone wanna meet up early? Hit Kowloon or something beforehand? PM me.

B

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention this....

We stopped at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge on the way to the reunion this past weekend, and in the mixers aisle they had Trader Vic's cocktails.

Not the mix, but the fully mixed, ready to drink, booze already in em kind (like those lynchburg lemonade & mudslide drinks in the little bottles)

They had little 4 packs, and also big jugs.

We bought the Mai Tai (they also had Blue Hawaiian, & a few others) and they were pretty good. A tad (just barely) on the sweet side.... not quite as good as mixing your own, but pretty damn close and NO MIXING REQUIRED.

So, if you want Mai Tais To Go...or a quick fix while mixing one by scratch, I highly reccomend them.

One other thing, they were all only 9.9% I think that might be a law or something with those mixed cocktails?, so an extra splash of rum may be in order for those who want a little more kick.

Appleton Estate seemed to mix in there perfectly.

Cheers!!

On 2006-08-02 11:58, Hula Cat wrote:
Hey Mayor,
Is Boxboro Ma. near ya? I'm heading to a wedding this weekend down that way. If my old truck can make it.....Then I just may get to ya . (depends just how rocking the reception is) I'm looking to find more of us (I suppose an inflatable sumo outfit is MORE of us !) Mahalo , Greg

Hi Hula,

Boxboro is almost 40 minutes away. Not exactly stumbling distance, but hopefully within old truck range. Here's what mapquest says about that:

3: Merge onto I-495 N toward LOWELL / LAWRENCE. 2.8 miles
4: Merge onto MA-2 E via EXIT 29A toward BOSTON. 7.2 miles
5: Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto MA-2 E / CONCORD TURNPIKE. 4.5 miles
6: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto CAMBRIDGE TURNPIKE / MA-2 E. Continue to follow MA-2 E. 10.0 miles Map
7: Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the US-3 N / RT-16 E ramp toward ARLINGTON / MEDFORD.

On 2006-08-02 14:16, Bargoyle wrote:

heh heh.... a few more pupu's and I wont even need a suit to inflate ...just strap on a sumo-thong... lol

I will instruct the door guys to let in anyone in a sumo suit without cover.

This is gonna be good!

BTW, nice bit about the Trader Vic's mixes. I would be very interested to sample!

Thank you "pappythesailor","Suffering Bastard in Maine" and Traci for dropping by my first annual Tiki Party!!

I wish you could have stayed longer, but I certainly understand. Kate and I were thrilled that you came by!

I had a blast! We played "deBOCCEry Ball" (a drinking game version of Bocce) and I even played a game of Suffering Bastard Shot Glass Checkers!

Outside we listened on CD to "Haole Kats","My Mug Collection" by The Crazed Mugs w/Haole Kats, "Bora Bora","Captivation" by the Outriggers, and "Hawaiian Paradise" by Bill Jaffe and his Islanders.

Inside I spun "Pearly Shells from Hawaii" by the Waikikis on vinyl (a party present from a friend!).

My friends and I even put on a brief Hapa Haole Concert for my guests.

Here are links to my Tiki Web Pages where I've posted all the pictures.

Here's a pictorial tour through "The Granite Tiki Lounge":

http://www.carlayotte.accountsupport.com/Tiki%20Concerns/Tiki%20Concerns.htm

and here are pics from my party:

http://www.carlayotte.accountsupport.com/Tiki%20Concerns/TikiParty2006.htm

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-03 22:06 ]

J

Thanks for the pics Granite! Wish we could have made it. Nice work tikifying your place too. Hey was that a young Roger Waters attending your party (4th pic from the bottom)?

J

On 2006-08-02 14:16, Bargoyle wrote:

:lol: I don't even know where you could get a sumo suit on short notice, though it would be quite amusing.

Well I'm totally psyched for tomorrow night - get to catch up with the Bargoyle, listen to some fine exotica courtesy of WAITIKI, enjoy some cocktails and brave Boston's "Tunnels of Doom".

Pappy - come on out man! SBiM pack up the car and trek south man. And any one else local (or distant) come and join us!

Granite, three things I have to say:

1: Thank you again for being such gracious hosts!

2: I really need to lose some weight.

3: One?! One picture of your lovely wife?! Sheesh!

--sbim

I'm waiting on some pics from a friend's camera that hopefully have more shots of Kate!

She took most of the pictures, that's probably why she's not in any of them!

I also got no shots of the big deBOCCEry Ball Game, or the Tiki Shot Glass Checker Match! I'll have to hire a photographer next time. :)

Thanks for the kind words Johnman, a young Roger Waters eh? It must be the angle because he usually looks like an old Vinnie Barbarino.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-05 00:08 ]

Thanks to Johnman, Steve (Johnman's bro), and the Bargoyle Duo for coming out to the Waitiki show last night. Hope you guys had a lot of fun ... we sure did! Post those pics when ya get the chance, ya hear?

OKONKULUKU!!!!

J

WAITIKI thank you for a most entertaining evening. Seeing you guys was WAY worth the trip to Cambridge last night.

The cocktail set that started out the night included an excellent selection of exotica staples (including a superb rendition of Quiet Village) and also some original compositions from Professah Humming Flower. This was merely a warm up for the real fun that was set to arrive in their second set...

Set two - WAITIKI! Here we got to here tunes from their debut album "Charred Mammal Flesh: Exotic Music for BBQ" and also here some new songs from their upcoming, currently untitled, album. This portion of the show was undoubtedly the best part of the night.

I got to use my long dormant panda skills during Pan-XOTIK-Da (though I think the song has an alternate title??). Thanks Professah for the opportunity - we oppressed pandas rarely get to show our true identities. Bargoyle captured this rare footage of the outing of the panda that will be here soon.

How do you top a panda act you ask? With the Mayor coming out in a self-inflating sumo suit. He then body slammed into a few tables to the surprise of some unsuspecting patrons. We lost 12 that night according to my count. Though it was a worthy sacrifice.

Bottom line - check these guys out! You will not regret it (unless you get "sumoed" of course).

On 2006-08-06 13:42, johnman wrote:
I got to use my long dormant panda skills during Pan-XOTIK-Da (though I think the song has an alternate title??). Thanks Professah for the opportunity - we oppressed pandas rarely get to show our true identities. Bargoyle captured this rare footage of the outing of the panda that will be here soon.

Pan-XOTIK-Da is indeed the title of the tune. And Johnman Da Panda made his impressive skill set known!!

Glad you guys liked my new tune "Sumotori Sumopop" and our other new originals.

OKONKULUKU!

B

Aloooooooooooooooooooooooooha!!!!

SOrry it took me a few days to get my lazy ass & post these pics. Also, I thought we had a lot more, but the demon rum seemed to have its hold of Wahine Jess & she shot a whole bunch of 1 to 2 second videos thinking the camera was in pic mode.

Still, the evening was great. Nice to hang with Johnman & his buddy Steve, and Waitiki were absolutely amazing.

I'm putting the NE Ohana on notice here....you can NOT miss these guys the next time they play. I've still got the Panda song in my head ("Lives in Chinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"), and the chops these guys showed on the traditional exotica was more mind-numbing than the cocktails.

I cant speak highly enough of the show, and the next time they play within a 5 hour radius, I'm there.

Amyway, enough of my gushing, heres some pics....

The Mayor & Mr. Ho jammin out

a few of Johnman The Panda...

More Panda Madness!

Sumo arrives to save the day!!

Professah, Mayor, Mr Ho, ...great to hang with you guys. Can't wait for the next show.

OKONKULUKU!!!!!

ps. Will try to find a place to post the longer videos (the ones we took on purpose) and link them here in the near future

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2006-08-08 07:57 ]

J

Oh the panda eats shoots and leaves (panda)... - argh make it stop!!!

Many thanks for the pics Bargoyle. Steve and I had an awesome time and can't wait for the next adventure.

OKONKULUKUKU!!! :drink:

OKONKULUKUUUU!

It was more than fabulous having you guys at the show! Might one say it was Zazz?!?

To have TC Ohana on hand at a performance definately adds so much to what we do. It transforms us from just some band with some wacky visuals to a complete cultural experience. How, you say? Because you guys GET IT!

If there's one thing I learned at the Mai Kai last year, it's that there's more to playing music than just playing music. Sure, the tunes are great. Everyone seems to dig Quiet Village, and Primitiva, and Adventures in Paradise, but those tunes have survived for 50 years because of their significance in the culture of Exotica, their ties to Tiki, and the imagery thusly associated.

Playing to an audience that is aware of these things completes that circuit and adds a dimension of authenticity and expression to the performance that sets it apart from just another gig. That's what sets the Tiki crowd apart for me as a performer. You know the music, the culture, the history, and you care deeply about it. That comes through to us, as performers, and gives us more fuel for the fire!

So, thanks again, and thanks for posting the pix! We definately look forward to our next show, and we want to see more TC Villagers there!

BTW, Congrats to Johnman for reuniting with his Inner Panda. I think we all have an Inner Panda to find, but you have a natural talent.

I propose that from now on, we extend the door policy to include people dressed in Panda suits.

Sumotori and Pandas admitted free!

As it is spoken, so shall it be done! Okonkuluku!!!

Mrs. Pappy & I are going to the Kowloon Saturday (we got babysitting!)

If anybody wants to make it a New England Tiki Event, sound off!

Crap Pappy, I already committed to something else this Saturday.

Hey, did you ever receive the mug from tiki farm?

..sbim

B

Hey Pappy!!

I would love to do the Kowloon on Saturday, but cant.

I'm roasting a pig for the Tolland Fire Department.

Have a great time!!

Also, thinking about end of this month (pre-labor day...the 25th or 26th maybe?) for another get together.

HuKeLau maybe? ProfessahHummingflowah told me about some other joint we havent hit, but I forget what it was now...damn that rum!

In addition to some sort of August get together, I've been told by the contractors that their work in the house will be completed by this comming tuesday (8/15)...so, almost 5 months later & my house will be fully livable again!!!!

This means that I can start re-building the bar next week. If all goes well, I plan to have a re-opening party/luau sometime in late september. More on this as it develops.

Aloha!

Bargoyle, lemme know if'n you need help. I can swing a cordless drill pretty OK.

B

Cordless drill, hole-saw, staple gun....all are welcome!!!!

Thanks man. I may take everyone up on the generous offers of help.

Food & drinks on me....more details to come on that front too.

Alooooooooha!

T

Just because I get to go by the Kowloon & go buy at the Kowloon I thought you might want to give them a call before you head over. The bar in the back was under some sort of construction when I dropped in 2 weeks ago...

Tikisgrl...

IZ

On 2006-05-30 19:30, I, Zombie wrote:
Dear New Englanders,

This is a little ways out, but thought I'd mention it. Four people from the Minnesota Ohana are going to be in Boston on Thursday, August 10, and will be heading for Tiki Island in Medford for Zombies, Grogs, and grub. If you're nearby, and interested in joining us, let me know. I'll know more details as the date gets closer, but thought I'd at least get the date out there.

Mahalo,

I, Zombie, Karol Kay-Ahhs, Quince_at_Danny's, and Varla.

Just thought I give this a big BUMP. We'll be there tomorrow night, probably early, like around 4:30pm -- right after we stop at Stereo Jacks: home of the $1 Now Sound.

Hope to see some of you there! I'll wear a tiki/hawaiian shirt, and my gal Karol has reddish blonde hair.

I, Z

J

On 2006-08-09 07:42, pappythesailor wrote:
Mrs. Pappy & I are going to the Kowloon Saturday (we got babysitting!)

If anybody wants to make it a New England Tiki Event, sound off!

Sorry Pappy - we have sitters for the Friday but are going to a wedding (this will be a Long Island night for me). So two nights in a row would be rough. Plus, I hate to say it, I'm on a self imposed spending freeze to fill the coffers for the ultimate tiki onslaught that awaits us in October! So I'll probably limit my events to helping out Bargoyle and maybe hitting my local Scorpion Bowl retreat, the House of Wu (can't go wrong for 9.50/bowl!). Which BTW, if anyone is up for coming by good 'ole West Warwick RI some weekend in September, maybe we can hit the Wu and adjourn to my place for cocktails and a fire in the backyard. Could be cool...

Bargoyle just give me a little lead time and I'll block off some time for the reconstruction effort.

IZ

Bah, missed our flight... now we get to Boston at 9pm. Stopping at Kowloon's instead!

I, Zombie

B

ZOmbie,

Cant make it out there, but I hope you guys have a great time and a safe trip.

If you're still aorund on Sunday, I'll be free then & can head out to one of our fine New England establishments to meet up with ya.

Aloooooooooooha!!!

WAITIKI CONTEST

Just uploaded an original Waitiki film, "The Way to Okonkuluku" to Youtube.com!

Here's a puzzle for all you New England'ers:

1. Where in Massachusetts are all the lake shots filmed?
  2. At 2min 59sec, what is the name of the residence in the frame ... and to whom did it famously belong?

I'll buy ya a drink at the next show.......

The movie's about 5 minutes, lemme know what u think!

J

Professor - great video man. You guys are totally crazy. Don't worry that's a good thing!

Well you have me stumped. I Googled some stuff last night to try and nail down the lake in Mass you shot the footage at and I'm stumped. Anyone else able to identify the house? or the lake?

Signed, clueless....

B

Ok, just to put the cart before the horse:

The Grand Re-Dedication of the Lono Lounge in Tolland, CT will be either Oct 21st or 28th.

Anyone have a preference on these dates? Both are Saturdays, after the HuKeLau.

I'm hoping most if not ALL of the NE Ohana can make it. Those I've met, those I haven't. Even if you're a lurker or haven't made it to a single one of our gatherings, consider yourself PERSONALLY invited and welcomed.

Planning some pretty cool special surprises as well as the usual wackiness. Food, booze, games, tunes, etc to be supplied. Stay tuned for more.

And for those of you keeping score: Yes, I AM planning the party before I've even started to re-build the bar.

Let me know what date works best for everyone and I'll try to accomodate.

Aloooooooooooooha!!!!

ps Those who have offered, get those hammers ready. First shipment of supplies should arrive this week. (although this weekend is boned, so you've got a week to prepare!!)

[ Edited by: bargoyle 2006-08-14 19:48 ]

R
Rain posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 7:48 AM

man, you guys have certainly been active since we left. figures in those two weeks we'd miss all that!

ps - i know it's been said a million times, but the "tiki room under new management" is a travesty. it's WRONG, i tell you, WRONG!

On 2006-08-13 18:22, johnman wrote:
Professor - great video man. You guys are totally crazy. Don't worry that's a good thing!

Well you have me stumped. I Googled some stuff last night to try and nail down the lake in Mass you shot the footage at and I'm stumped. Anyone else able to identify the house? or the lake?

Signed, clueless....

Thanks Johnman. OK, I'll spare ya folks a few hints:

1. The Lake & house are somewhere in Western Mass ...

2. Just minutes away from a special tiki watering hole (my first as a teenager), reviewed by Bargoyle.

Hmmm......

MH

I thought it would be more helpful if I provided some additional assistance and clues in this matter. Professor Humming FLower's intelligence sometimes baffles us to the point of having to substitute dark rum for light rum. SO, given that, here's some additional clues that might help you all trying to solve dis trivia:

Ok kochuni olorcocnutkitah challahchaniyah chunnih! Ut tah okkokuklikokek kinita kin-tah. Chasnelek chah!

Hope that helps!
Mr. Ho

B

Thanks Mr. Ho....NOW I've got it!!! ok, no I don't.

Leaning toward Oct 28th for the Bar re-opening party. Does that rule anyone out?

Also, some new pics of the basement/bar rebuild posted in the Gen Section today (link: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18943&forum=1&start=30&40 )

Alooooha!

Alright, I guess maybe the questions were too hard? Here are the answers:

1. The lake is Lake Mahkeenac, a.k.a. the Stockbridge Bowl, which is minutes away from the center of Lenox, MA -- and just steps away from Tanglewood.

2. The white mansion up on the hill is known commonly as Serenac (also spelled Serenak), and was formerly the residence of bassist and esteemed Boston Symphony conductor Serge Koussevitzky.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who's up for a Tiki get-together at the Tiki Lau in Westford, MA?? SB said he's interested. I think I'm free for the next few weekends 'cepting Labor Day.

This Saturday is out for me, but the next one is ok. The 26th.

..sbim

J

I don't think we'll be able to hit Westford with you guys. Do let me know how the Tiki Lau turns out though.

Bargoyle - the 10/28 looks good for me as far as the reopening of the Lono Lounge. Once you have the date set I'll set out for sitters immediately. Check your PMs regarding the reconstruction work.

Rain - you said it, a lot has happened since you went to FL. The WAITIKI show was certainly a major highlight while you were gone. Don't worry they'll be back. Beware of the Professor's trivia powers - they will leave you murmuring in the corner.

B

This weekend is out, but I might be able to do the 26th w/ ya pappy.

Got season tix for Pats this year (after only 8 years on the waiting list!!!) and there's a pre-season game that night (the 26th) so we'd prob wanna do a lunchtime thing.

If it doesnt pan out, we can always have a "build the bar" party in tolland on the 26th :)

Hmmm. I forgot that my wife has a "wedding" to go to that day. I don't know exactly what time she needs to be there, but since it is a coworker getting "married" to her partner, she feels she should go.

So perhaps the 26th isnt the best date. Hmmm.

I have a vested interest in making this happen. Pappy, do you want to just come up to Maine and have some crazy drinks in my basement?

..sbim

I give up.

B

Dont give up, chuck.

If the 26th doesnt work for everyone, how about the 27th? Sunday afternoon tiki brunch?

Anyone?

Hello?

Is this thing on?

Oh Good Grief! (great pic pappy!)

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I wish I could say yes to some of these plans now and then!

Sunday would usually be great for me but the 27th is when we're finally having our parents over for a special cook-out in the Granite Tiki Lounge!

R
Rain posted on Thu, Aug 17, 2006 3:45 PM

yeah, we're out for any long drives this weekend - still have a lot of post-vacation cleaning up to do around here. but i'm planning on the re-opening thing and hopefully some more stuff soon. sorry! :|

Ok, so is anyone up for anything this weekend? Or is this another dead issue?

I'm free Sat afternoon, and Sunday too. This is the one weekend that I DONT have something planned!!

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

If nothing else is going on, I'm hoping to make some headway on the bar this weekend. I'll postpone that in favor of a real tiki trip.

i'm still game...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies