Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

T

Hi all,

So how embarrassed was I? Pretty!!! It turns out that there is a Museum in Salem Mass full of Oceanic Art? http://www.pem.org And a nice man from Hawaii thought I was kidding when I said Huh? So have you all been to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem already?

Thanks to Filslash for the tip!!!

There may be Tiki items at the actual gift shop but nothing online :0(

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2005-11-21 16:47 ]

I've been there a bunch of times playing weddings but that was mainly before I became aware of all this stuff. It's a very cool museum. It always seemed more chock full of Chinese and Japanese (more "fine art" than native) and lots of New England nautical art.

Looking at that website link, it's clear that I missed the good stuff.(or as I said, it was before I was very aware of it)

I'm definitely going to go back and give it another look, thanks for the tip!

B

Hey guys,

I've got to downgrade this sat to a definate "Maybe". I've had a few things come up recently, so we'll see.

Also, thinking about sometime after the holidays (like mid to late Jan) for the tiki timex trip.

More on that as things develop.

Hopefully everything works out and I'll see you on saturday.

J

No prob Bargoyle. Hopefully you can still make it.

Regarding the Timex trip, I think it will work out nicely to have it after the holiday madness. I haven't even begun to even think about shopping yet and I know, in classic style, that'll I'll be running around during the last couple of weeks before xmas. So every second will count until then.

Pappy you still in man? Get out of the house while you still can:) I know a little one is coming for you soon... And believe me, they manage to make getting out a little difficult.

Well I'm still in. My wife needs to stay home with the kids (no sitter available that night) but a friend of mine is coming along so it's still me + 1. Fortunately for me he's agreed to drive too - hmm, looks like a scorpion bowl for 3 for 1 is in order.

Well work calls. Talk to everyone soon.
JohnMan

Still in. My wife might even come "to meet your new friends" but I wouldn't count on her either. She says she wants to go to the Hu Ke Lau if we ever go back there. See you Saturday, Johnman (and hopefully, Bargoyle)!

As I said earlier, I'll only be there in spirit since I have a gig, but I thought of you all today, as I took down my outdoor tiki bar for the Winter. :(

I hope to get some of you here next Summer! (I've got a whole year to stock the bar :wink: )

Have a great time at the Ho Kong, and drink a Mai-Tai in my honor!

J

Hi all. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Well I'm ready for some tiki tonight. I have a feeling this place won't be very tiki, but even a little will do nicely.

Pappy did you convince the wife to come out tonight? I'm sure she'd have a good time.

Bargoyle - are you able to make it? I can only drink so many representative drinks (already going to handle Granite's Mai Tai) :)

See you at the Ho Kong tonight!

Yep. Mrs. Pappy will be there with baby belly. Look forward to it! The Ho Kong can't be worse than the Makaha disaster so we're good.

J

Well my ride is here. I'm on my way to the Ho Kong - c ya in a bit Pappy!

T

I hope the Ho Kong trip was a success!!

I'm off on another scouting trip today to Leominster & Fitchburg to see what their Tiki places are like! Give you an update when I get back. I even have a camera now so if I can figure it out (ha ha) I will take a shot or two.

T

Well cross Leominster & Fitchburg off the great Tiki Quest List :0( One is gone and the other is a Tiki take out!

At least you all have located some good ones!!! So far I keep finding the duds.

J

Ahh yes - the Ho Kong trip was a success. It pretty much lived up to the description here on TC. I'll be posting an detailed review on Locating Tiki later tonight or tomorrow. But in summary:

• Food: good (dishes were a little bland)
  • Drinks: strength ok, authentic recipes - negative
  • Atmosphere: the most tiki I've seen in RI. Matting on some walls, bamboo dividing rooms in some areas, thatch roofs here and there, very cool hanging lamps, tiki outside (above entrance), and two tikis in the bar. Definitely locals in the bar area - but no attitudes to be found.
  • Service: Excellent - I don't hand that kind of rating out often but our server (her name escapes me) was very friendly and quick.

Basically if you're in RI and need a tiki fix, this is the place to go.

Pappy and Leah I hope you guys had a great time last night. Keith and I certainly did. Oh yeah, I grabbed a shot of the tikis in the bar and will post them later. Hope we didn't fill you with too much dread about your upcoming addition to the family. Kids really are fun to raise (right now mine are literally crawling up my back as I write this). Well back to being a responsible parent!

Aloha!
JohnMan

Sounds like a nice joint. Post the pics when you get a sec johnman. Sorry i couldnt be there. I think the timexpo trip will be the next time I have the time, money, and energy to go anywhere.....

unless da wahine & I go to the outlet malls in Lee, Mass for XMas shopping....then we'll hit the Luau Hale.

Ugh, the "Holiday Season" has just started and I've had enough of it already!!

Bah Humbug!! heh heh

J

Hey Bargoyle - yeah it wasn't a bad place. Certainly worth my 30 minute drive. No rush on the timex trip man - just give us a shout when you're up to setting it up. And don't let the holidays wear you down. Just head to your private bar and travel to the South Pacific. That's what I'm going to do.

Tikisgrl let us know if your finds are worthy. And you're always welcome to come out with the group - Lowell isn't too far away:)

Pappy - I think you snapped some better pics than I did. Post em up man:) Oh yeah - after you left we hit the bar again. That's when I grabbed the pic of the back of the bar (tiki masks). The girl that waited on us asked us if we were out of town. I almost fell over - I'm a tourist in my own state (actually I was born in Woonsocket which makes it that much funnier). I explained the affliction and I think she got it.

Ok enough blabbing. I'll talk to everyone soon!

Pictures and review of Ho Kong are here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8217&forum=2

I added a couple pics in "Locating Tiki".

Dammit, I wanna go to the Timex Museum now! I think I'm also going to go to the Hu Ke Lau before baby comes. Who knows when I'll get out again afterwards????

Johnman, it was good to see you but next tiki event, I expect more people!

J

Thanks for the pics Pappy. I'll use the one above as a guide in case I forget who I am.

I'd love to hit the Hu Ke Lau soon. The drum show sounds cool. That would definitely have to be a new year thing for me. Its time for the wallet to take the Christmas hit so it'll need time to recuperate.

I drove by Kowloon last night on my way to a gig at Polcari's, and I thought of all of you.

The snow is falling down heavily on the Granite Tiki Lounge right now! :(

I hope I can make the next event!

R
Rain posted on Fri, Dec 9, 2005 10:42 AM

wow, i HAVE been away too long (again). providence, RI, reporting for duty!

J

Hi Rain - welcome aboard. Checked out your site - great artwork! While there I noticed a poster for NonTiki at the Century Lounge. Is this an annual event? I'm there in March if it is.

Granite - Loving the snow eh? We got abot 6 inches dumped on the Krakatoa Room (a wanna-be tiki joint for now...). Got to leave work early too. You have to love that on a Friday:)

I'm totally itching to hit some kind of local tiki soon. The rest of this year is out so maybe we can start thinking about something mid to late January? Start off the year with a show at the Hu Ke Lau?

Well time to get back to the kids before my DVD player becomes a toaster.

Aloha!
JohnMan

R
Rain posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 5:47 AM

On 2005-12-10 11:25, johnman wrote:
poster for NokTiki at the Century Lounge.

well, that was the first time we did it, but we managed to throw two big tiki parties over the summer (not at the club) after that. i'm sure i can get them to do a NokTiki II - it was a pretty big success last time.

Aloha East Coast Tiki Ohana! Transplanted New Englander (grew up the Ku Ke Lau in Chicopee) looking to get get in touch with tiki ohana on our next trip home (currently scheduled for July 2006). My hubby and I can't to visit the Hu Ke Lau again, maybe this time with some of our TC ohana....so let us know if you are up for a little fun and we'll set the date!

Aloha and mahalo!

tiki-tina & bamboo boyd

:tiki: :drink: :tiki:

B

Name the date Tina & we'll do our best to get there! I think the Huke is still doing the Drums of Polynesia show, but it may change after the new year?

Also, for those who have been trouble finding tikis up here in the North East (pappy, I'm looking in your direction....), theres a new batch of resin knock offs hitting stores right now.

Yeah, they're kinda cheesy, but they hold up in the winter weather pretty good, and its about all we get up here!

Link to more info here... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17635&forum=5&0

Still thinking of the tiki timex trip in mid Jan. more to come on that one.

J

On 2005-12-11 05:47, Rain wrote:

On 2005-12-10 11:25, johnman wrote:
poster for NokTiki at the Century Lounge.

well, that was the first time we did it, but we managed to throw two big tiki parties over the summer (not at the club) after that. i'm sure i can get them to do a NokTiki II - it was a pretty big success last time.

Wish I knew about the summer tiki parties - would've definitley been there. And a NokTiki II sounds like a good plan!

R
Rain posted on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 7:47 PM

i'll definitely post here on TC next time we organize something. wahine leila and i will be up for some more restaurant/bar-going once we get a car again, too.

J

Tiki-Tina - how's AZ treating ya? Wish I was there today! Its a frigid 15 degrees out right now in RI. Definitely give us a heads up when you're here in July. I'm sure there'll be something going this summer.

Hey Bargoyle - I just picked up two resin tikis at Christmas Tree Shops. The one in the ad in your post and another smaller one. They look pretty decent for fakes and will do nicely for now.

Pappy - the price is right on these too. The totem cost me $29 and the smaller single tiki only $6. I'll post some pics of my wanna be bar soon and you can check them out.

Hey Bargoyle...mahalo for the reply....we'll be back in July 2006 and will post the dates so we can make something happen at the Hu Ke Lau...would love to see the drums show!

Last big thing that happened there was my uncle's election party...he won the mayor's race in Chicopee in November and in a move that can only be deemed as impeccable taste, had his post election bash at the HKL..I really wish we could have been there to see it, but it's a long flight from Arizona to Bradley Field...anyway..we'll be there in July to meet the New England Tiki Ohana....can't wait! We're also heading to southern Maine...know of anything Tiki in that area...maybe we make make a Kowloon Trip, too?

Aloha Johnman...boxing up some sunshine and lots of aloha for you and all the freezing tiki ohana masses! And I know how you feel....I was in Tulsa last week on business and it was 3! How can people live in 3 degree weather......that's why I'm in Sunny Arizona! Was in Maine for Turkey day and while it was beautiful, it was freezing, even at the shore....can't wait unti the thaw back there. See you this summer, until then stay warm.....or come visit!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2005-12-18 13:29 ]

The only things tiki in Southern Maine are the occasional place that sells polynesian drinks and my basement.

But the Kowloon is a doable trip.

--SBiM

J

Actually SBiM, your place is probably the tiki capital of Maine. I can't imagine there's much more other than some closet tikiphile's place who's yet to discover TC.

Rain - whenever you guys are mobile again give me a shout. You're more than welcome to visit my home bar (where you'll find a few tikis and plenty o' rum!). Plus maybe we can hit my favorite local place, the House of Wu, and have a Volcano or two.

Talk to everyone soon!

JohnMan

J

Just want to wish all my fellow NE Tikiphiles a Merry Christmas! Hope Santa is good to all of you and may you find something tiki tomorrow in your stocking:)

Mele Kalikimaka!
JohnMan and Family

Same to you and to all the other New Englanders!
I know we in Maine will be having a white christmas!

--JOn

B

Mele Kalikimaka to the New England Ohana! Hope all is well with everyone, and that there are plenty of tikis under the tree this year.

Well, the wahine got me the Meihana mug from tiki farm, Shag's "Around the World in 80 Drinks","Hi Fis and Highballs", and a pair of Ku cufflinks, so I gotta say I am pleased. :)

--SBiM

B

Nice Haul SB!!

This year no-one got me anything tiki! :( But, on the plus side, all the tiki farm mugs I ordered months ago that were on back order, came in on friday, the 23rd. SO I put them under our tree. My Christmas gift to myself!

Thinking of Sat, Jan 21st for the Tiki Timex trip. Anyone who's interested, let me know so I can stock the bar and arrange for transportation (basically, that means borrow the company mini-van if its more than a few of us)

Sully, The Bargoyle

I got "Shag, the art of Josh Agle" book, a hula girl retro alarm clock, a dashboard hula dancer, a subscription to Tiki Magazine, two beautiful Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirts, a great tropical style set of serving bowls for parties, and a cocktail carousel for the bar!

J

Hope everyone had a great xmas. Looks like Santa dropped off some cool tiki stuff for for Grantite and SBiM. My wahine stocked me up nicely. Got 4 Volcano bowls, a big blue float, bamboo framed mirror and some weird horn shaped bamboo planter. I'll post some pics in Tiki finds soon.

Bargoyle, zero tiki for under the tree? Sounds like you're on the wrong list. At least you managed to sneak some stuff under the tree. Sometimes the best gifts are the ones you buy for yourself:)

The 21st is good for the Timex trip - just need to verify kid coverage and then I'm in.

Hey Pappy - are you a Daddy yet?

Well sleep calls.

Aloha!!!
JohnMan

I should be able to make it. Sully, I'll bring you a bottle of Meyer's!

Yes, Johnman --I'm really a pappy as of yesterday! yawn thanks for asking.

When's the next Hu Ke Lau trip?

A new Tikiphile is born!!!

A lone star shineth over New England!!!

Congratulations Pappy!!!

T

Congratulations Pappy!!! A New Bar, A New Baby & A New Year... hmm that might not be in the right order.

In any case Happy New Year to one & all!!!

SBiM I'll wave as I drive by tomorrow, looking forward to a white New Year up in Maine.

Tikisgrl

H

Congratulations, Pappy!

Congrats Pappy!!!

I know you are looking forward to the increased amount of Pu-Pu.

--SBiM (where the white is being replaced by wet - except in Fort Kent)

J

Congrats Pappy! Tired already? LOL - just wait. No worries, I'm sure you guys will be all set.

I can probably do the Hu Ke Lau in February. There's a special Valentine's day show - maybe we can check that out?

From hukelau.com:
Date: February 14, 2006
Time: 6:00 PM
Event/Band Name: A Hawaiian Valentines Celebration
Price: $5.00
Description: Share this special evening with the one you love. Back by popular demand. Book early, this show sells completely out.
Seating: 6:00 PM
Show: 7:30 PM

B

Congrats Pappy!!

Wont be long before its off to school, and...

Hope to see ya on the 21st. I'll post some info (times etc) if that date works for those interested.

Thanks, everybody for the well wishes.

Congratulations Pappy! may your sleep schedule be optimal and frequent. Cheers!

On 2006-01-05 17:33, I dream of tiki wrote:
Congratulations Pappy! may your sleep schedule be optimal and frequent. Cheers!

Thanks, Idot!

OK, we got babysitting! Who's going to the Hu Ke Lau on Valentine's Day? Let's get a big turnout and support New England's last remainining Polynesian Supper Club? C'Mon--you wanna keep tiki around? It's time to put your money where your mouth is!

Who's in?

I have just purchased tickets over the phone to the Hawaiian Valentines Celebration at Hukelau on Feb. 14, 2006 for me and my wife!

It's a Tuesday, so I'm free!!!

Hope to meet some of you there!

Just bought mine. Unfortunately, it's reserved seating. Hopefully, if we know who's going far enough in advance we can get re-seated together--even if we're all in the back. OK--that's 4 of us...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies