Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

Also, the Lono would be an outstanding location for this event, if there aren't too many participants for the capacity. What is the capacity of the Lono, anyway? That sure would take care of the legalities and costs as well. How can we afford NOT to have it at the Lono?

B

Realistically, the lono could do about 10, comfortably. Presently there's lounge seating for 5, plus 2 bar stools, and I could bring in a few more stools/chairs...have scottes behind the bar doing his thing, and everyone is comfy and boozy.

If we want a standing room only thing, we can get more in the lounge, or if we amplify Scott, there's room in the adjoining game room for at least another dozen or so...once again, much more if we do SRO.

As a second thought, I can always set up the tent & tables & chairs outside, although most of you know how chilly it can get out my way in October (You Waitiki guys especially!!) On the plus side we could then accomodate almost any number.

I'm all for it however. Its not the most central location, but we love to entertain & Jess is pretty understanding when it comes to a house full of rummies whooping it up.

We'll have an "official" meeting about it tonight.

S

On 2007-09-06 11:19, Bargoyle wrote:
...or if we amplify Scott...

I've done speaking with 200 people in a room without amplification. No Problem. (Other than the fact that speaking in front of 200 people is scary.)

I'd gladly offer up the Granite Tiki Lounge for a rum tasting! (Inside or out depending upon weather)

I'm in Nashua, NH. My work/gig schedule would probably get in the way of normal schedules, but you never know.

So bummed I can't see Wai-Tiki tonight. (gig)

No matter where this rum tasting will happen, if I'm not working, I'll be there!

Also, I have amplification if needed.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-09-06 12:50 ]

S

Bargoyle, Johnman and I managed to find parking in Boston in order to see Waitiki at The Beehive.

They were, as always, amazing. But I have to say that their 3rd set, especially "Dew Drop Inn, If You Please, My Humming Flower" was out-freaking-standing. Nah, that's not strong enough, but you get the idea.

I did take my camera, and shot off a number of pics which I'm going through now. Alas, I have to get to work soon (with 4 hours sleep) so I won't have time to go through them all until tonight. So I'll leave you with a teaser and I'll put up a gallery of select shots tonight.

J

Great picture Scottes. Can't wait to see more! Sorry I missed the show/ Big weekend of work for me this weekend as I am painting murals on display at the Hampton Beach Seafood Festival! Be it know however.... I will be bringing my Waitiki CD's to play continuosly ... while I paint.

Sorry I missed you guys, can't wait to see all, Kudos to the Mayor, Mr. Ho an the Professa!

B

Sure, rub it in that the third set (the one I left before) was the greatest. :P

I'm exhausted, and I just had 2 people call in sick (plus 2 are on vacation) so I think I'm running the office solo today...which means no time for my secret nap!!! sux0r

JPM, get some shots of the murals! lets see some progress pics!

S

On 2007-09-07 05:31, Bargoyle wrote:
Sure, rub it in that the third set (the one I left before) was the greatest.

Sorry, but Dew Drop Inn, and a few songs around it, really rocked. Out-freaking-standing.

And since I left before Johnman, he'll probably tell us both how the 4th set was truly superlative... :)

J

For their 5th set they covered all of Drasnin's Voodoo. You guys missed really missed out. Wait, that was the dream I had while I was driving home... My brain is running at about 25% capacity right now due to massive sleep deprivation. And to think I'm going out tonight too! Until 11 that is - me so sleepy.

All kidding aside the Waitiki show last night was awesome as usual. I can't wait until the next show!

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 2:21 PM

You guys are killin - mahalo for trekkin all the way out! beehive doenst like our schtick and talking too much so, in exchange, we took things a bit further out (jazz odd-essay!) and had fun with them. Really appreciate the tiki ohana and support - hell, I can't even get my non-tiki friends that live 10-15min away to come to shows half the time! :wink:

B

Well, what I saw was amazing. You guys were waaaay out on the jazz tip. Dug it big time. "Tiki" especially. Thanks for a killer time.

Im at a wedding tmrw near boston & might be spending the night, so I may make the JP show as well....depending on what time we wake up on sunday.

S

I think I can actually make this: Hawaiian Nights with Brother Celve and Waitiki and some Polynesian dancers, too!
http://www.somervilleartscouncil.org/programs/artsunion/events_producers07.htm#hawaii

Grab your long-forgotten leis and flowered shirts, as Union Square becomes a tropical destination with sights and sounds from the Hawaiian Isles. DJ Brother Cleve, Somerville's ubiquitous connoisseur of lounge and exotica will provide a tropical soundtrack as vintage surf films and Hawaiiana footage cast their magic on the Square. Paying tribute to the more traditional, Polynesian Dance Arts will perform Tahitian dance as well as the story driven Hulas of Hawaii. Headlining the evening is Waitiki, presenting lounge sounds in the vein of Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, along with original compositions for a sonic Tiki cocktail. The band features vibes, sax and other woodwinds, bass, drums and a variety of percussion, all in island attire.
Please be sure to wear yours.

Friday, Sep 14, 7:30-11PM, Somerville.

Anyone up for this?

J

Dude, that sounds way cool.... and in Somahville to boot! Minga, I really want to go - let's get a major NE TC showing for drinks and late night Pu- Pu's... maybe even back at the Kowloon after!

S

I finally got a chance to go through some more of the photos from the Waitiki show at the Beehive. You can see them here: http://scottes.smugmug.com/gallery/3437950

Show sounds good. Wish it was on Saturday..

details on the Rum Tasting at the lono are posted:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25585&forum=4&0

Rum tasting moved to Oct 13th.

1 week earlier.

I hope everyone can still make it.

S

Anyone thinking of going to this tomorrow night?

Hawaiian Nights with Brother Celve and Waitiki and some Polynesian dancers, too!
http://www.somervilleartscouncil.org/programs/artsunion/events_producers07.htm#hawaii

Grab your long-forgotten leis and flowered shirts, as Union Square becomes a tropical destination with sights and sounds from the Hawaiian Isles. DJ Brother Cleve, Somerville's ubiquitous connoisseur of lounge and exotica will provide a tropical soundtrack as vintage surf films and Hawaiiana footage cast their magic on the Square. Paying tribute to the more traditional, Polynesian Dance Arts will perform Tahitian dance as well as the story driven Hulas of Hawaii. Headlining the evening is Waitiki, presenting lounge sounds in the vein of Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, along with original compositions for a sonic Tiki cocktail. The band features vibes, sax and other woodwinds, bass, drums and a variety of percussion, all in island attire.
Please be sure to wear yours.

Friday, Sep 14, 7:30-11PM, Somerville.

W

New England Tiki group sounds great; count me in, kindred tiki spirits!
NE tour looked wonderful....NYC trip in the works?

wava5k, tiki neophyte

S

Aloha and welcome, wava!

Keep your eye out on this thread. (And there's a couple others in this particular forum.) We are fairly active, and all sorts of things come up.

And you can always make a suggestion... :)

Since this is where all the New Englanders look on a regular basis, I figured I would post this announcement here.

a couple months ago I made an announcement that Traci and I would be moving to Albuquerque, NM. We had every intention of doing so, but a fantastic job fell in her lap. She was just offered a job doing social work at the MS Society here in Maine. It’s a fantastic position and she would be crazy to not take it.

One of the reasons we were looking at moving to the SW was for her health, but I am happy to report that she is responding very well to her current treatment, so there is less urgency.

So with this happening, the fact that the house hasn’t sold yet and that we actually really like Maine and Portland in particular, we are now staying put.

Since we will not be holding a going-away party, we are looking to hold a staying-here party. Stay tuned for more info. Film at 11.

..sb(still)iM

I guess that puts the kibosh on our "SB Has Moved" party. Sorry, everybody.

Seriously, SB, that's great news. Very glad to know Traci is doing well.

That is great news! Welcome Home!

S

Excellent!!

Given that your last party was my introduction in the New England Ohana, I'm very glad to hear that you're staying, and for such very good reasons.

Yahoo!!

Welcome Home SB!!!

Great news. Glad to hear Traci is doing well (and with a sweet job to boot!!)

So, you coming to the rum tasting on the 13th?

And do we still get to empty your liquor cabinet into our bellies?

Pappy- We can always change the "SB is gone" party to an "At least he still lives far away from us in Maine" party. lol

jk SB. Glad you're sticking around for a bit.

J

That's awesome SBiM! I'm glad things worked out here for you and Traci. It's good to know she's doing better. I've watched my mother travel on the MS roller coaster for years now and thankfully she's still doing rather well. At one point she was even doing bee therapy. Yeah, daily bee stings - ouch! I'm not sure if that is a viable treatment anymore as there are so many more treatment options now.

Glad to keep you guys in NE!

Thanks all.
I hope to be able to make the Rum Tasting event, and I think I will have something at my house for a staying here party.

Leaving you all would have been one of the hardest things about a move away!

..sb

Yay SBiM & Traci are staying now you don't have to Sweat! Great to hear Traci has a new job and is doing well! Party sounds great! Maine is the way life should be "worth a visit, worth a lifetime" or so the sign says! About that Rum tasting thing is there a tea totaller selection?

Beth

I'm happy for you Traci and SBIM!
Years of happiness, health and great wishes for you both!

May the Huna/ the Power of Aloha be with you -...
"hu refers to all things "masculine," while na refers to all things " feminine." Thus the word huna is a verbal expression of the primary creative act of merging the world's energy poles into one living whole, just as the Chinese express it through the yin-yang symbol. Depending on the context, we also find that hu refers to action, movement, chaos, change, or power ... while na refers to the qualities of order, calm, peace, and endurance.

Thus, the underlying nature of hu-na is the practice, in all dimensions, of bringing our different aspects into a greater harmony and balance so that we become whole spiritual beings, capable of potent material manifestation and compassionate relating.

Traditionally, the word aloha meant "the joyful sharing of life in the present moment," or equally, "our hearts are singing together." When we understand alo as meaning "to be with" and oha as meaning "happiness" - the deeper intent of the word becomes clear. Furthermore, the core term ha means "breath of life." When combined with alo, the meaning of alo-ha becomes "to be joyful together and filled with the breath of life."

Aloooooooha SBIM and Traci

B

On 2007-09-22 10:25, Tikisgrl wrote:
About that Rum tasting thing is there a tea totaller selection?

Beth

Hey B,

The tasting should be over at like 6pm, but thats when the party starts. Food, drinks, mugs, & music (possibly live?) will be provided!! You're more than welcome to come & hang out for the evening. Hell, you can even join the Tent City in the backyard if you want and then no driving worries...so rum can be guzzled!!

We've got an 8 person monster tent that we've never used when camping (never had that many campers) that i'll set up. So if anyone wants to "rough it", all you'll need is a sleeping bag. The fires will be burning all night.

T

On 2007-09-26 18:55, Bargoyle wrote:

On 2007-09-22 10:25, Tikisgrl wrote:
About that Rum tasting thing is there a tea totaller selection?

Beth

Hey B,

The tasting should be over at like 6pm, but thats when the party starts. Food, drinks, mugs, & music (possibly live?) will be provided!! You're more than welcome to come & hang out for the evening. Hell, you can even join the Tent City in the backyard if you want and then no driving worries...so rum can be guzzled!!

We've got an 8 person monster tent that we've never used when camping (never had that many campers) that i'll set up. So if anyone wants to "rough it", all you'll need is a sleeping bag. The fires will be burning all night.

Um are there hotels nearby? My idea of roughing it is foam pillows not feathers?

Sounds like a plan see you all soon then! Thanks!

Beth

B

There are a bunch of motels in Vernon (about 10 mins away) but if it were me, I'd go for the Comfort Inn (860) 871-2432. They're RIGHT next door to Rein's Deli, and that place has AMAZING grub!!

There's a few others listed on the tasting thread if the C.I. doesnt do it for you.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25585&forum=4&start=0&30&PHPSESSID=3d519ce3cfc6746881d251204abc6921

J

How much to stay in the tent?? I'll take a single. Hell, if the weather stays like this you'll want to sleep outside!

B

I very well may wind up tent crashing. I figure the late night bonfire round robin tent party will go pretty late.

And when I dont have to worry about driving, I usually wind up sleeping wherever that last cocktail knocks my ass out. :D

I call the space under the pinball machines.

S

On 2007-10-01 11:47, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I call the space under the pinball machines.

Just don't kick me in the head when you roll over...

BREAKING NEWS!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!
1 hour and 20 minutes to game time... Red Sox/ Cleveland Game &
Cowboy up! Red Sox!
Just watching the WBZ TV4 evening news - Live interviews outside Fenway on Yawkey Way -
Who else but.... The Mayor of Exotica! Yup there's our Mayor - Tim. He and his friend walking their Pugs outside fenway and the pups were sportin their very own David Ortiz Red Sox Jerseys!
Nice Going Tim! WBZ TV4 loves ya - we do too!
Now lets go kick some Cleveland Butt Red Sox!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-10-23 13:52 ]

OMG!!!!

Man, of all the days to get up in the morning and say to yourself, "Man, my hair looks just like the Wolverine's! It's Sunday, though, nothing to do, no one to see. I think I'll leave it that way, just cuz I can! Oh, since it's game 7 today, let's get some jerseys for the pups!"

As soon as we walked out of the souvenir store, the cameras were upon us!

http://wbztv.com/video/[email protected]

S

On 2007-10-22 10:57, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

You're a STAR!

Oh wait, you already were a star.... Now the dog has fans though!

T

On 2007-10-22 10:57, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
OMG!!!!

Man, of all the days to get up in the morning and say to yourself, "Man, my hair looks just like the Wolverine's! It's Sunday, though, nothing to do, no one to see. I think I'll leave it that way, just cuz I can! Oh, since it's game 7 today, let's get some jerseys for the pups!"

As soon as we walked out of the souvenir store, the cameras were upon us!

Note to self... when the warning is... "Man, my hair looks just like the Wolverine's" do not click the link at work. Thanks for the laugh out loud funny video clip! Cute pups by the way!

Beth

WOW! And people bust my chops for using Royal Crown!

You guys all know I love ya but as a born and bred Tribe fan I gotta say "Lofton was safe!"

I guess being a Tribe fan is still better than being a Cubs fan and it is especially better than being a Yankees fan. The question now is...have the BoSox become the Yankees?

On 2007-10-23 10:51, rugbymatt wrote:
...have the BoSox become the Yankees?

I respectfully submit that this is physically and morally impossible. Unless Joe Torrie replaces Terry Francona as mgr.

On 2007-10-23 10:51, rugbymatt wrote:

The question now is...have the BoSox become the Yankees?

Sorry Matt, but no. The Red Sox have won a championship this century and tend not to use banned substances (or are at least more discrete about it).

Lofton WAS safe. He also should have scored in the 7th inning to tie the game - he almost made me spill my mai tai on that play, but all was put right again.

S

The question now is...have the BoSox become the Yankees?

Whoa...... I'm not even touching this with a ten foot pole! No, no, no, nooooo sir. Yikes.

Okay, back to the drinking. Don't get Suzanne all riled up about baseball like THAT! :D

Suzanne

I completely understand Rugby Matt's question. I have to answer uncomfortably that the Red Sox can't be the Yankees as long as the Yankees are still the Yankees. But the Red Sox are raiding their closet. Look at J.D. Drew--he makes more than half the players on the Tribe PUT TOGETHER and he #@% sucks!

'course we should probably say something about Tiki here... I bet J.D. Drew hates tiki.

Figured I'd post this in the N.E. thread. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MAUI-KAUAI-Restaurant-TIKI-MUG-wBox-MATCHES_W0QQitemZ320174265206QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320174265206

edit: BTW, not my auction.

[ Edited by: Lukeulele 2007-10-24 12:59 ]

Wow! One for me! Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies