Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

J

Nothing other than the Kowloon event is scheduled right now.

I'd like to get to this place in Woonsocket, RI named "Ho Kong" at some point. Supposedly its slightly tikified, but I cannot confirm. Maybe we can get a group together to scout it out while you're in Providence?

I'm in. We gotta support any RI tiki joints! You might want to just poke your head in, tho. Remember the Makaha!

What are the logistics for Saturday? I haven't met any of you. Do we have a reservation, and if so, under what name?

Thanks.

--SBiM

B

No reservation, although one might be good. Do we have a tenative head count yet? I was planning on being there early, so I can make a reservation. I'm going to wait outside under the giant KU on the A-frame side of the building. I'll be the chain smoking balding guy with his wahine bitching at him to quit smoking!

Granite & Pappy, sorry I missed ya last week. Threw my back out and have been pretty much bed ridden ever since. On the plus side, took all of last week off from work. On the minus side, was bed-ridden & didnt get ANY yard work or anything else done, and now I'm twice as busy at the office this week! Anyway, cocktails for you guys too to appologize for leaving you hanging. (ok, thats a full round now right? SB, granite, and pappy!!)

Regardless, I cant wait for this weekend. Very much looking forward to seeing everyone, and I've been jonesin for some good chow all week!!

B

I've also got a few spots to scout out. Maybe we can have something together for when Cynful comes to town... If anyone knows anything about these places, chime in (I don't know what happened to my Tiki road Trip, so Im firing in the dark here)

These are the RI spots that have been on my "get to" list:

Mai Tai Resteraunt in Coventry
China Sea in ??
Ming Jade Polynesian in Newburyport
and I hear theres a place called Luke's Inn with good food and a nice mug collection, but no tikis (not sure where that is either)

We can always talk more about em at the kowloon this weekend!

It will be me plus one.
--SBiM

J

On 2005-11-02 12:47, Bargoyle wrote:
These are the RI spots that have been on my "get to" list:

Mai Tai Resteraunt in Coventry
China Sea in ??
Ming Jade Polynesian in Newburyport
and I hear theres a place called Luke's Inn with good food and a nice mug collection, but no tikis (not sure where that is either)

We can always talk more about em at the kowloon this weekend!

Ming Jade is closed :(

I've Been to the Mai Tai and will probably never go back. Zero tiki and drinks/food here certainly don't make up for it.

I went to China Sea in Warwick, RI a few months ago. It had some cool bamboo decor and decent drinks. Unfortunately they recently gutted the place and the decor is history. Another loss...

Luke's Inn sounds interesting. Found a site here:
http://lukesinn.com/
Yeah, the pics scream typical Chinese place, but the keywords are there for me "exotic Polynesian drinks". Definitely worth a scouting mission sometime.

J

On 2005-11-02 09:58, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
What are the logistics for Saturday? I haven't met any of you. Do we have a reservation, and if so, under what name?

Thanks.

--SBiM

Head count right now looks like:
Bargoyle + 1
SBiM + 1
pappythesailor
Tangaroa E
JohnMan + 1
= 8

Bargoyle will be sending smoke signals from under the giant KU so keep an eye out for him. Also I just posted a pic of my wife and I on the board, so you can look for us as well:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2253&forum=1&start=last&406

Bargoyle - If you're planning on getting there a little early that would be cool if you could get a reservation for whatever count you see here before you go. Sounds like the room with the ship or the volcano have the best theming. Maybe we can get in one of those rooms?

If anyone wants my cell number just PM me.

J

On 2005-11-01 18:19, cynfulcynner wrote:

Greetings!

Are you New England folks planning any events for the next few weeks? I will be in Providence November 15-28.

Can't say for sure right now, but the 26th might be doable for me. Maybe an RI place on that day? Stay tuned...

Hi Folks,

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will be unable to attend this weekend.

My boss has decided that he is having a "wine tasting" pre-holiday party at his house, and he stressed that we should attend.

Normally I would blow it off...but with bonus time coming...Oasis and SXSW next year...

Next time I promise I will make it though...

sigh I was looking forward to the Kowloon-y goodness too.

B

Sounds good Johnman (nice pic btw). I'll make a reservation for at least 10. Dunno where they'll put us with a party that large. The lagoon booths fit 6 at max. I think the boat is the only place (or the front room which hasn' t much decor!)

For those who want to know what I look like...Pic of me looking like Vegas Elvis on his death bed right here (ps thats the wahine, Jess in the pic w/me, and thats Petunia on the table) http://bargoyle.yafro.com/photo/9356821 See everyone there!

Sorry, you can't make it, T. Ed. I don't think I've ever heard of enforced wine tasting but I hope it's not too terrible for you.

Bargoyle, please try not to hurt yourself between now and Saturday.

J

Bummer Ed - wish you could make it. I'll just have to knock out an extra drink to make up for you.

Ok, the list looks like the following:
Head count right now looks like:
Bargoyle + 1
SBiM + 1
pappythesailor
JohnMan + 1
= 7

Bargoyle - Unless there are some surprise attendees, we're probably safe with a reservation for 7. Guess we'll just try to avoid getting placed in the front room - don't want to miss out on the atmosphere. Nice pics btw, you do kind of remind me of Vegas Elvis:)

Well, I can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow! And also knock out a few tiki drinks in the process. I'll be on TC again later tonight and sometime tomorrow.

Aloha!
JohnMan

B

I'll get one for eight of us, just in case anyone else shows up (or if we wanna just grab a stranger off the street! heh).

Trying to arrange the "red carpet" treatment for us, but its impossible to do over the phone. When I get there, I'll try to get a manager's ear & see if we can get a tour or at least someone who knows the history of the place to field any questions. Might be tricky if none of the Wong family are around...

Should be a great time, even if we dont get to speak with anyone. Can't wait.

PS My hair is much shorter than it was in that pic, and that was about 1am the night before the luau after drinking ALL night.....so I may look better or worse than that shot depending on what time I get to the bar, and what time YOU get there. (appologies in advance for my drunken buffoonery) lol

J

Sounds good Bargoyle - 8 just in case. I guess you could put us under the name "Tiki Central". Then if any stragglers come in just ask for the TC table.

Good luck with the red carpet treatment. Hmm, maybe you can make out that one of us is famous. We can get our picture on their site.

Buffoonery? As long as you don't manage to fire up the boat and drive it out of the place, no apology necessary.

B

That boat doesnt go anywhere!! believe me, i've tried!

Ok, its about noon rt now & the wahine and I are heading out. Gonna do all the weird places on rt 1 (maybe play some mini golf, roast beef at kellys with that freaky clown head on the wall, etc etc)

See everyone there. I'll put reservations under "TC" sounds like a guys name....wait, wasnt that chopper pilot's name on Magnum PI?

F

On 2005-11-05 09:07, Bargoyle wrote:
See everyone there. I'll put reservations under "TC" sounds like a guys name....wait, wasn't that chopper pilot's name on Magnum PI?

I just looked that up and, yes, TC was the name of the chopper pilot. Somehow that seems appropriate, don't you think?

J

TC it is. Well we're heading to Saugus now. See everyone in a couple of hours!

T

Hope you all had fun & drank carefully. Just thought that since these were non-finds I'd warn the New England TC contingent -

Braintree, MA - Tiki Palace - No Tiki, No Mugs - Christmas lights are their only decoration. Nice lady inside said no more mugs because people steal them, can you imagine that?

O.K. so Braintree was a bust let's try Waltham.

Waltham, MA - Tiki House - No Tiki, No Mugs - all the glamour of a Woolworth's lunch counter except as far as I could see driving by there were no seats!!!

But I am not giving up hope next Tiki trip I'll try Medford!!! Their add looks like they may have a Tiki there somewhere...

Sad & Tiki-less in MA!

B

Just got back from Kowloon (11.30pm...early night) Great to meet everyone. We had a blast!

For those who didn't make it, be sure to get in on the next trip!

Didn't exactly get the "red carpet" treatment, but the manager DID put a round of drinks on the house and gave us all signature Kowloon sugar bowls (in the shape of little pineapples) and some nice Moai S&P shakers with the Kowloon name embossed on the back!!! Pretty freakin sweet! (If no-one post pics of these things, I'll take some)

Pappy was our little shutter-bug so I'm sure he'll have some pics to share. All in all, a great night out.

I think we should try HoKong or the Hu Ke Lau as the next excursion (the Huke is pretty cool, with great decor & a floor show, but it might be hard to make 7pm on a friday night....plus, the first attempt there left poor pappy out in the cold, but we'll do better this time, I swear! On the flip side, I still havent hit the HoKong, and I love venturing into uncharted territory.)

Also, talked with pappy & johnman about making a run to the Timex Museum down in my neck of the woods. The Timex owners were good freinds with Thor when he did his Kon Tiki voyage, and a big part of the museum is dedicated to his trip & easter Island artifacts.

Cocktails at the Bargoyle's after the museum!! Anyone else interested?

Ok, gotta go feed the buzz I lost preping for the ride home. Hope everyone made it home safe & sound. See you all soon!

I'm so bummed out I couldn't be there.

And you got Salt and Pepper Shakers?!?!?!

I can't wait to see the pictures.

I hope I can make the next event.

I went to the Hawaiian Isle II in Concord NH last week, and I heard a rumor that their lease may not be renewed soon :(

If you get a chance, get out to see their classic hanging lamps before they're gone.

Tikisgrl, you're from Lowell huh? I grew up there and I only live in Nashua now. (I'm in Lowell a lot)
I'm just wondering if we know each other. I'm Carl Ayotte (though a lot of people know me from "Captain Morgan and the RumRunners")

Make sure you post those pics PappyTheSailor!

Wow. Bargoyle posted at 11:30 when I was already in dreamland. But I'm up at 0600.

The Kowloon was great and if a free round of drinks, free Pi Yi mug, free Kowloon Sugar Bowl and free Kowloon S & P shakers aren't the red carpet treatment, I don't want it!

The Kowloon is in NO danger of closing. The parking lot was full for a place that seats 1200 or something. People were still breaking down the door to get in when we left. All the TCers were great too;a fine, gracious bunch.

L to R: Bargoyle, The Rock, Jess, Pappy, Traci, Johnman, Missy and Suffering Bastard from Maine. I know it looks like we're sitting in the supply room but we had a pretty good table.

Full-sized pic here.

I'll post more today--gotta hit the flea market!

We had a wonderful time last night at the Kowloon, thanks everyone!
And it was really nice for The Rock to buy us a round and give us autographs. :wink:

Here are the salt and pepper shakers and the little pineapple sugar bowl they gave us as gifts. Also are the things I found at the Goodwill in Portsmouth.

J

Missy and I had an awesome time at the Kowloon last night. Thanks for coming everybody!

The food, service and drinks were good. I certainly head back to this place again. And I never expected The Rock to show up - that was just too cool.

Bargoyle - Definitely count me in for the Timex trip. And cocktails afterward sounds good too.

I'd like to scope out the Ho Kong next. Maybe the Saturday after Thanksgiving?

Here's a couple of pics from last night:

Pappy with a Coconut Monkey (mmm - how was that drink Pappy?)

The Kowloon pineapple mug

More pics can be found here:
http://thejohnman.com/images/tiki/kowloon/

J

Just wanted to pass my thanks onto Tikisgrl and Granite for posting some info regarding tiki "sounding" places. Looks like we narrow the list down a bit - bye bye Tiki Palace, Tiki House. Hawaiian Isle II in Concord is still a candidate. If you can score a pic or two of the place that would be awesome Granite.

Hey - maybe there's info on the Hawaiian Isle II on TC:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11399&forum=2&2
Duh! I think the Kowloon is still in the veins. Anyway looks like a cool place to check out if you're in the area and it's certainly more tikified than anything I've seen in RI - though I'm hoping the Ho Kong changes that.

Time to leave work now! :)

[ Edited by: johnman 2005-11-08 14:30 ]

T

More sound's like Tiki isn't Tiki news... Don't bother with the Tiki In - Arlington, MA - Another Tiki-named take out joint.

But on a Brighter Note: Tiki Island - 269 Middlesex Avenue, Medford, MA. They actually had Tiki's!! Nice Fu Dogs outside the door Greetings from a Giant Buddha, with that whole Buddha thing going on! Some Tiki's on the wall & some lamps that looked a little Tiki. So if you're in the area and much more of a Tikiphile than I am you could probably peek at the place and not be totally disappointed.

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2005-11-08 17:17 ]

J

Many thanks Tikisgrl. I dug up a site for Tiki Island here:
http://tikiislandrestaurant.com/

Tiki Island looks like it's worth a visit, if for no other reason than to pick up some mugs!

And it's not so far away as Chicopee, so we should be able to make a trip there.

By the way, any time any of you come up to Portland, let me know! You'll have to come by my place.

--SBiM

Ya know, Johnman, I wish I had brought my camera that day I went to Hawaiian Isle II, because I'm surprised to see on that other thread that they didn't take a picture of the hanging lamps! Which are very similar to the ones at Bali Hai. I'll have to go back soon, before any possible lease problems.

J

Hey SBiM - Yeah Tiki Island sounds like a candidate. The web site brags about their killer tropical drinks so that gets me through the door. And maybe there's mug potential too.

And if I find myself in Maine (or even next door in NH) I'll let you know. Would love to check out the Lava Lounge.

Hey Granite if you get back to the HI II pack the camera up.

Sleep time for me now...

T

I did grab a menu from the Tiki Island. I will have to post some of the items on the menu. As for mugs nothing with their name on it but they have the usual standards! Will post more later when I have more time. SBiM - I'm the one that has stolen all the Tiki's in Maine, in case you were wondering where they went! I'm up there all the time!!

SBiM - I'm the one that has stolen all the Tiki's in Maine, in case you were wondering where they went! I'm up there all the time!!

J

Aloha all. Well the holiday's are upon us and I'm certainly up for a little tiki road trip. I'd love to do something the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/26). Also a comrade from CA will be in the Providence area during this time (you listening cynfulcynner?).

I'm thinking maybe this could be a trip over to the Ho Kong in Woonsocket? Anyone been there recently? Found this post on TC:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8217&forum=2&hilite=Ho%20Kong

Obviously its no Kowloon, but that will be tough to top in NE.

Pappy and Bargoyle - I'm still game for the Timex museum. Let me know when you guys are interested in setting up that trip (hmm - maybe that's the next one!)

c-ya!
JohnMan

Saturday after Thanksgiving, Ho Kong--I'm in.

Aloha fellow locals,

It's good to see such thorough research and exploration being conducted by such an intrepid team! In the course of these excursions, did any of the establishments have entertainment? How was it? What kind of entertainment? I know the Kowloon has a comedy club there, but that's all I know. Any reply posts would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo

I doubt I will be able to make the Ho Kong trip, but I am still eager to try Tiki Island.

I'll be in Stoughton on Saturday. IKEA. :)

--SBiM

I'm in for ho-kong on sat after thanksgiving. As far as the timex trip, I was thinking a weekend between thanksgiving & xmas. Im open to suggestions.

Mayor- The only place I know of in NE with live entertainment is the HuKeLau in Chicopee. The place itself is pretty nice. Lotsa tiki, rattan, nice lamps, murals, etc. The floor show is pretty good (its no Mai Kai, but then again, what is?) and the food is ok, but the cocktails leave a bit to be desired. Its certainly worth a trip and I put it right up there with the Kowloon on the tipsy scale.

The entertainment is a traditional Hawaiian show. Currently it is "Drums of Polynesia". Musicians, dancers, etc. A bit ont he cheesy side, but good stuff regarless. The shows runs every friday and cost $1 cover. They also have comedians play on that stage on other nights. Hope that helps!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-11-16 10:16 ]

J

Cool - looks like the Ho Kong trip is a go. 6PM start sound good?

Thanks so much for your response, Bargoyle! I'm IMing with Professah Humming Flower right now, and it appears that the Kowloon does have some live music from time to time. Of course, I'm completely biased, but I think live entertainment is an integral part of the ambiance of any place, and adds so much to the experience.

J

Agreed Mayor - live music adds so much to any environment. Have you been in touch with the Kowloon about playing there again? I'd be there in a second if you guys played the place.

J

On 2005-11-16 08:24, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
I doubt I will be able to make the Ho Kong trip, but I am still eager to try Tiki Island.

I'll be in Stoughton on Saturday. IKEA. :)

--SBiM

IKEA has finally landed eh? Give me a heads up if you see the bamboo room divider you mentioned at the Kowloon. I'm slowly getting some ideas together for my future home bar, "The Krakatoa Room", and the divider sounds like it might serve me well.

No biggie on the Ho Kong man - you probably won't miss out on too much tiki. And Tiki Island is definitely in our future.

I will certainly let you know if they still have them, and if there is anything else that is usable for a tiki room there. They can surprise you. Swedish and South Pacific in one place sometimes.

--SBiM

As usual, I'm gigging the night of the next New England get together, so I won't be there. :(

This is some incentive to finally put my Tiki Band together and maybe eventually open for Waitiki at one of our get togethers! (it'd certainly be an honor)

I love that this thread is really catching on and we're forming something solid here!

H

On 2005-11-18 14:49, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I love that this thread is really catching on and we're forming something solid here!

I love it, too! For a while there, I was wondering why there weren't many people here from New England -- it's downright thrilling to see that you are there, and that you've found each other, and I hope to come out for a visit, sooner rather than later.

T

SBiM can't believe you are trekking to IKEA - So I thought I'd draw you a little Tiki Road Map -

Bali-Hai,
Moulton Dr,
Lynnfield, MA 01940
(781) 593-8600

Tahiti Restaurant
22 Jade Lane
Dedham, MA 02026
Phone: 781-329-2575

We've all been to Bali-Hai you will drive by it on the Highway and say woops!!! Never been to the Dedham one but it's somewhere you will drive past if you take 95/93 I think!!!

Thought you might need a place to rest from your long ride!!! Wave as you go by!!

IKEA did in fact have a number of items that would look great in a tiki bar. The room divider of bamboo stalks is no longer there, but they have a more finished bamboo room divider.However, I can't find it on their website. They also have this coat stand:

and this footstool:

as well as a lot of rattan furniture and tropical looking plants. Go on a weekday though. It took us an hour to get from the highway to our parking spot.

--SBiM

J

Hey Granite looks like we'll miss ya again this round. I'm sure Saturdays stink with your gig schedule. Maybe we'll shoot for a Sunday for the next gathering. Are Sundays usually good for you?

Humuhumu we were just in the dormant stage of Tiki in NE. Now the awakening has begun... Finally! Of course you and any other TCers out there visiting the NE area are more than welcome to join us on trips.

SBiM - Nice finds at IKEA. Looks like I'll have to get up there sometime soon. Maybe I'll even take the preferred route through Lynnfield and Dedham:)

J

Ok here's where we stand on the next gathering:

The Place:
Ho Kong
366 Cumberland St
Woonsocket, RI 02895-4716
(401) 765-3064

The Time:
11/26/05, 6PM

The Crew:
Pappy
Bargoyle