Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

I can't, but I was wondering why we haven't done a trip to the Tiki Room in Boston?

http://www.tikiroomboston.com/

..sbim

B

Hey SBiM,

tiki room in boston is a real mixed bag. Went there once while in town for a Sox game. Haven't been back....

Food was passable, drinks were ok but nowhere near traditional, decor was nice but tvs & dance music blaring, and a crowd that made me feel out of place (me!! out of place in a tiki bar!?!?!?)

If enough people are interested who haven't been there, I'd certainly go again. Maybe its gotten better? we can always hope.

And speaking of hope, Pappy!!, where we going this weekend?

As I stated before, I've got tix for the pats game sat night, but am available throught the day. Also, sunday is wide open.

What day do ya like and where should we go?

Also, who else is comming!?!?!?

I thought it was construction day Sat? If I'm in CT on Sat. I'd better not go too far on Sun. Hu Ke Lau?

P.S.

Date of official Bar Re-opening/Grand Dedication/Sacrifice to Lono/Mai Tai Drinking Contest is looking like Oct 21st. Its a Saturday. Save the date!!!

Official announcement to come soon...some of the surprises will be unveiled then.

Once again, attendance by the NE Ohana is mandatory!!! lol

R
Rain posted on Wed, Aug 23, 2006 5:33 PM

the wahine and i are definitely planning on being there for the reopening. :D

i saw photos of the crowd in the tiki room boston - let's just say i lost interest after that. :|

Hey fellow New Englanders.
Just moved back to New England (Hampton, NH to be exact. Flew in on Monday morning, after a nice weekend back in Long Beach, CA (Long Beach Tiki Fest) Very anxious to chow down on a real Pu-Pu Platter at the Kowloon - probably will stop by a couple local haunts tonite in Hampton - (the Ocean Wok)for a great! Mai Tai and Weylus in Amesbury for a primo Platter. Look forward to meeting all you New England Tiki enthusiasts. Stop by my artist website http://www.jonmooers.com to see my tiki art and get aquainted with what I've been up to. Would love to hear from any of you! My Tiki life is on a moving truck somewhere between California and Massachusetts right now - but am looking forward to settling in for my first snowy winter in 5 years!
I hope I'll meet you all soon,
Jon M

I LOVE your stuff!!!

And in checking out your website, I realized I've seen a few of your outdoor murals and loved them before I knew who you were.

Welcome back!

Will you be opening a gallery or public work space?

Again, welcome home!

J

Welcome back to NE Jon. Beautiful artwork on your site! A little out of my range right now but you've certainly got talent. Well I certainly look forward to meeting you at one of our future gatherings.

Bargoyle I'll see ya tomorrow morning for the reconstruction of the Lono Lounge. Pappy - you going? Hope to see you there man.

Tiki Room in Boston - doesn't look like it's worth the trip. If I'm ever in the area for some other reason I'll drop in but otherwise forget it. I'd have to say the Kowloon is the only place I've been to so far worth traveling any great distance for (that is repeatedly).

Well I have to go rest up so I can be somewhat productive at the Bargoyle's tomorrow. Talk to you all soon!

J

Oh yeah - Bargoyle, count the Miss and I in for the 21st.

Hey Granite Tiki and Johnman - thanks for the greetings. I certainly didn't intend my message to sound like a sales pitch - just thought you could learn a little about me rather than just a random hello! Really look forward to getting together with you all - keep me informed of upcoming activities in NE. Hope to see you soon!

B

2 quick things...

posted more pics of bar progress on the main page. HUGE thanks to Pappy & Johnman for their help this weekend. Made some real progress in just a few short hours!

post is here if anyone is interested.. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18943&forum=1&start=30&42

Also, we've been called out by dogbytes. She listed 2 joints we havent hit yet & wants some info about them (& pics).

How is it that someone in Washington state can find new tiki joints to hit that we've missed?!?!?!

Anyway, they are Orchid of Hawaii in Lakeville, MA & Tiki Buddah in Middleboro, MA.

Who's up for an expedition?

Her post is here.... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20840&forum=1&4

Hope everyone is well. Bar re-opeining party announcement comming real soon.....

AlooooooooooooHA!!!

ok, y'all are gonna love this...

Traci and I are looking into lodging down there so we can come down on Saturday, spend the night, and go back to Maine on Sunday (I have to work on Labor Day. Typical for me, since I work in politics. Damn labor unions always have events)

So if we are going to try one, the other, or both on Saturday, we are in!

If you have brilliant ideas about lodging in that area, please pass it along.

..sbim

Hey guys, don't leave me hanging here, if I am to book a room for Saturday night, I want to do it ASAP! Do you want to check these joints out this Saturday or not?

..sbim

R
Rain posted on Thu, Aug 31, 2006 4:19 AM

SBIM - we're in for this weekend. don't know about lodging, though :/

B

I'm a definate Maybe for this Saturday. We had some other plans, but I'm trying to convince the wahine that they should be cancelled.

So, we got SB, Rain, maybe me.....anyone else?

J

I can't make Saturday:( Got a gig Friday night in New Bedford (New Wave Cafe) so I used up our sitters for that night. If by any chance you're hanging in New Bedford tomorrow night stop in the New Wave around 10:30 and catch The F.I.D.'s - it will be a show you'll never forget (oh and you will want to!). You can check out our cheesy myspace page here: http://myspace.com/thefids

New Wave Cafe Map:
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=new+wave+cafe&near=New+Bedford,+MA&cid=0,0,2687792866993959880&ll=41.653702,-70.924861&spn=0,.02&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

I got issues...

YOU got issues?!?!? Have you heard the F.I.D.s??!?!

Now THERE'S a bunch with some issues!!!

ok, here is going to be our plan.

Traci and I are going to come down whether or not y'all join us.

We'll get a hotel room over in Plymouth.

On Saturday, we will be at the Orchids of Hawaii place at 7:00 for a drink.

Then we will go over to Tiki Buddha for dinner at 8:00.

Let me know if I should expect you.

My cell is 207-712-8471 and you can call. The two places are very close together, so if you meet me at Orchids and we go over to Buddha, and Buddha looks horrible, we can go back to Orchids.

..sbim

R
Rain posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 8:50 AM

sbim - leila and i will see you there. we'll call on the way to confirm.

Cool, it will probably just be the four of us.
--sbim (Jon)

J

Hey SBiM - looks like it will be the 5 of us. I'll be coming up with Rain and Leila.

Anyone else up for tonight? Bargoyle? Pappy (pack the lasagna to go man!)? jpmartdog?

J

Hey Jon
Thanks for the invite - I really wish I could be there this weekend - I've been watching the posts, unfortunately with the new move back to New England - the budget is real low at the moment - as soon as i get settled into a job - I will be part of the "scene". Look forward to Mai-Tai-ing it with all of you!
Jon M

we are here in plymouth now. see you all later tonight. stay dry!

..sbim

Well, those two joints were nothing to write home about. Unless you write horror stories.
No, really, they weren't bad, but decidedly not tiki.

First we met at Orchids of Hawaii, which was in a building that seemed like it might have been a strip joint or a Moose Lodge at some point. When I say "we" I mean Johnman, Rain and Leila, and Traci and myself.

Inside the only tiki was behind the bar, and it was being used as a place to keep baseball hats.

The only mugs they had were scorpion and volcano bowls. The bartender said he used to have a lot more, but not recently. One thing I will give them, the drink was worth the money. My scorpion was certainly STRONG.

So then we went over to Tiki Buddha, which was in a strip mall. It also had no tiki decor.

They did use a variety of good mugs, and my Doctor Funk was pretty good. However, they refused to sell us mugs. The food was pretty tasty however.

I am sure Rain and Johnman will fill you in with more details including some photos, but if you are looking for tiki, don't try these two places.

However, I will say that the company was EXCELLENT! We look forward to doing more with that gang of Rhode Islanders!

..sbim

J

Thanks for the praise of the RI Ohana - SBiM! We had an awesome time with you guys. It really made up for the lack of tiki we were hoping to discover that night.

SBiM nailed the description just right. First here's a couple of pics of the outside of Orchid of Hawaii, Lakeville, Ma...

The sign - notice the "Restaurant Open to Public" message under the main sign. Hmm, what was this place before???

And one more pic of the outside of Orchid. Forgive the fuzzy look of the picture. This is just to simulate what it really will look like after you knock out a scorpion on an empty stomach (not a wise move on my part!).

Next up we have Tiki Buddha, Middleboro, MA. This place had zero tikis other than the word "Tiki" on the sign. Not even a tiki hat rack was in sight! Drinks and the food were really good. I had a Mai Tai that was on par with the better Mai Tais in the New England area so that was nice. Next up was a Dr. Funk of Tahiti which was very tasty and I believe somewhat authentic. It came in a surfer girl mug, though as SBiM stated - it was not for sale.

The outside (again the scorpion effect was added to this pic):

Here's our Maine Ohana representatives for the evening, the one and only SBiM and Traci:

And the better half of the Rhode Island Ohana - Rain and Leila:

Now if you look closely at the last two pictures you might notice an orb floating around. Looks like Tiki Buddha may be haunted!!!

Bottom line - don't go out of your way to hit these places. Your local strip mall Chinese restaurant will cover everything you'll see at these places. Should this go in Locating Tiki - nah, I've decided to just keep it in the local record.

Thanks for the suggestions dogbytes - you at least got us together for a great night out.

So have others already checked out the Pago-Pago in Milford?

It was on Critiki, and I found a website for them.

http://webpages.charter.net/harvardfoleys/index.html

R
Rain posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 7:54 AM

hm, hadn't heard of pago pago before.

as stated - no tiki to speak of at our destinations, but where there are TC members, there is tiki discussion and good comradery :)

you guys forgot to mention what finally made us leave tiki buddha, though:

On 2006-09-05 07:21, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
So have others already checked out the Pago-Pago in Milford?

It was on Critiki, and I found a website for them.

http://webpages.charter.net/harvardfoleys/index.html

If only there were some kind of searchable database here in Tiki Central....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15971&forum=2&hilite=pago%20pago

If only there were some kind of searchable database here in Tiki Central....

:P

well, at least now I know.

..sbim

J

Looks like Pago Pago is off the list.

Nice sign Rain - I totally missed that one while we were there.

B

That sign at Tiki Buddah is too funny. Reminds me of the engrish.com web site (if you havent been there, check it out. some funny stuff.)

Sorry I couldn't make it this past weekend. Crappy joints or not, I know the company was good.

Had a bit of a family crisis. My 87 year old grandmother took a nasty fall onto concrete & broke her knee-cap completely in half. She also did some serious damage to her already replaced hip.

So, she's fine now & recovering. Post-op took almost a full day in recovery (came close to losing her there), but she is now sprung to the rehab clinic for the next 3-4 months.

I dont know what it is, but somehting ALWAYS comes up when I wanna do a tiki trip. People die, get hurt, the house catches on fire, the cat dies, the dog gets lyme disease....

its gotta end sometime right?? right?!?!?!

So, on that note, how about a nice BIG september trip?

I'm thinking Kowloon. I'm thinking next sat, 9/16.

Any interest out there??

Sorry, Bargoyle.

Mrs. Pappy & I are tied up on the 16th. Maybe the 23rd?

R
Rain posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 7:04 PM

yeah, i think we're out for this weekend, too :/

we can probably do the 23rd if that works out for people.

i think johnman was trying to organize something, too, but i'm not sure when... johnman?

J

Aloha all - If anyone was interested I was planning on having a gather ing at my place on the 16th. We could start with dinner at the Wu. The Wu is about a minute from my house and has good food (AWESOME wings) and potent drink (Scorpion and Volcano bowls are lethal). After that we could hang at my place for some more drink and conversation. Maybe even some cards or something too? Anyone who wants to come is invited and you're also more than welcome to stay the night. The house is plenty big enough to hold all of the New England Ohana (and then some).

There's also a flea market minutes away that is open on Sundays. Who knows, maybe we could get lucky and find some Tiki artifacts there!

If you want to come just PM me and I'll send you my address and contact info.

J

Hi again - If the 16th doesn't work for everyone then maybe the 23rd? Looks like that could be a better time for both Pappy and Rain. Currently I have nothing going on for both dates and could easily setup a party for either dates. Just let me know.

Pappy - t-minus 25 days and counting until the Hukilau! :tiki: :drink: :drink: :tiki:

T

Hi All, this is kind of a Local Tiki find but also a flashback for me....

Note in the postcard the entrance is labeled the outrigger lounge & has two carved entry posts

Located in beautiful Haverhill & strangely enough even though the exchange is different it still exists? May have to Visit Haverhill again soon.

& last but not least does anyone else remember the Saturday Afternoon must see TV?

Tikisgrl

J

Hi Tikisgrl - I Googled the Oriental Gardens and came up with what looks like sad news. The place is still there though it looks like it may have been redecorated. Check it out here:
http://hometown.aol.com/ogskaraoke/

What is it with Karaoke and Chinese restaurants? This is the second time in less than two weeks I've seen this combination.

All - the 23rd is actually bad for me :( Looks like it'll be the 16th or bust. We're going to a friend's house for the weekend of the 23rd in Framingham, MA. Hmm, I wonder if there are any undiscovered places in Framingham???

sounds great. Still have to run it by the boss...

The 16th is a bust for us. We have had way too much going on, we need to catch up with home things.
23rd may be an option still.
But I would love to get together after Hukilau to see what everybody brought me back!

..sbim

B

I guess our lunch at the Kowloon trip is a wash :(

Johnman, thanks for the invite, but we only had the afternoon free. Meeting up with some friends & doing the Big E sat night (weather permitting....if it rains, I'm all for a trip to RI).

Why the Big E you ask?

See for yourself!!

http://www.thebige.com/entertainment/ent_foreginer.html

LOL

Have fun this weekend everyone! And pappy or johnman, whenever you want cash to bring me back tons of swag from the Huke, just let me know.

J

Too bad tonight fell through. Oh well there's plenty of other times we can get together. Hope the the Big E and Foreigner were cool Bargoyle. Oh yeah and we'll take cash alright. I'll buy you some drinks while we're at the Hukilau. Can't promise they'll make it home though! Just let us know what you're looking for and I'll keep my eyes open (if I can keep them open of course).

I'm probably out until sometime after the Hukilau for any NE events. I figure the Lono Lounge is the next place I'll hit when I get back. How's the construction going Bargoyle??

J

This is weird - I was wrong about where I'll be on the 23rd. We're actually going to see a friend in Haverhill, not Framingham. We'll be 5 short miles away from Oriental Garden. Looks like I'll have to make a trip there sometime next weekend seeing I'll be so close. If it still looks anything like Tikigrls pictures then we've found a gem!

I'm back from vacation! OK--let's try again. Who's free on the 30th????

I am! I am!

(at least I think I am....I've got My sis, Dad, step dad & 2 step sisters who have birthdays between sept 23rd and the end of the month...not sure when the b-day bash will be, but I am SOOOOO up for a tiki trip!)

Where we going Pappy?

Tiki Port Hyannis? Else johnman and I had the most tentative of plans for the House of Wu. Johnman? Rain? SB? Tikimortis? Granite? Professor? Mary Ann?

further north is better for me.

Saturday night is work night for me. Musician's have no fun.

I'm always with you guys in spirit though!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies