Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

T

Just imagine that tiki being flesh and bone. A whole klan of large head, small body race, to take over Florida. Just like in that Space Invader movie.

I Like that shirt you got on. Your the Bamboo Ben in your neiborghood.

Aloha Ben!!!!!

LONO, looks sweet my friend. If the brother thats interested in buying backs out i'll take mr lono off your hands, and start a Mr Lonos neighborhood in our front porch. Aweasome Ben, Keep slaying the wood! Aloha, your friend , mooney

Benzart is the tops in chops. Period.

I gotta agree, BK.

If there were two other people on the planet that could do that level of work, I'd be surprised. You ROCK, Ben!

B

Thanks Palama Tiki, Glad to hear from you after a long while.. Hope all's well with you and I am looking foreward to hearing more afrom you and seeing you again in the near future.

teaKEY, thanks, you mean he ISN'T Flesh and bone? I guess you are right, but what IF they take over? Thanks about the shirt, I Love it- a Bamboo shirt from BambooBen the Revrend his own self.

Thanks Mooneytiki, I'll have to make more now.

BK, Thanks for the props about chops and tops, you are right there too mister master.

Silverline, Thanks to you too, but I'm afraid I have to tell you there are Tons of people out there who carve Way better than I doo. I'm low man on the totem pole. Now the Ancient Masters, THEY were the carvers and they help me sometimes so whay you see isn't really me, it's them, or their work. That's fine with me too.Thanks again.
I will have this guy finished and varnished early this week and will post more pix then.

I have to say after seeing your work up close and personal it is truly humbling. If you are "low man on the totem pole" I hate to think what the rest of are.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 5:52 PM

Benz,

It was greating seeing this one in person. That cocconut palm is great and the carving WAY nicer than the pics show. I can't wait to see him all finished out. However, besides the finish, I can't imagine he can change too much now. This lono is probably the coolest carving I have ever seen and touched. Thank you Ben, for taking the time to make posts and let us watch your process. I for one really appreciate your time.

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 3:28 PM

I've been keeping up with this thread, that Lono is an awesome tiki that is going to make the lucky owner very happy when it's all done, awesome job.

B

Big Thanks to
AlohaStation,
GMAN and
Bette I ate all the trail mix but you guys are smoking anyway. I appreciate your comps and kind words. It SEEMS Like we have been following this guy for a Long time, but the end is near, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.Thanks for being so patient and watching this guy grow to the fine gentleman lono he is today.I don't see any more updates until he is finished. There are a few
changes or additions being made that will not mean much but help the overall image quite a bit,. You will just have to wait.
Thanks again

Benzart rocks!!!

Happy! HAPPY!!! hapPY!!!!!!

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 1:52 AM

On 2006-01-16 20:44, RevBambooBen wrote:
Benzart rocks!!!

Absolutely!

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 5:00 PM

Can't wait to see the finished piece, I know it will rock!

B

Thanks to the one eyed BambooBen,,Arrrrr back to ya'
Foamy thanks to you too
Bete, thanks, and see it you will in a couple dayz, all finished and ready to go.

J

I have been waiting for the finished piece. I have all the steb by steps saved on my computer and look at them often trying to see how to duplicate the cuts. You are good! I am going to have to try a practice piece of that headress. How is coco nut tree compared to pine to carve?

Thanks again for sharing.
JP

B

Thanks JohnnyP, I hope you are having fun with it. Pine and Coco will carve VeryDifferently. Actually the Cocowhen cured is much harder than the pine and you can get better detail in the coco. Pine is a soft wood and tends to tear out if you aren't careful. I have really enjoyed carving this coconut palm, it's seasoned Just right and very firm.

KK

Aloha again Bruddah Ben!
Just saw your last post and read your Mahaloz! I cant wait to see Lono completed! You really are a true master Ben. And all of the compliments and support from the TC ohana should show you that! Im very happy weve been able to correspond and Ive got to view your amazing work! In ancient Hawaii you would be considered a true "kahuna" who were actually trained experts in arts & crafts and highly reverred by the maka'ainana and the ali'i nui, not the chief or leader as some people mistakingly think that word means...You would hold high rank and always eat first when its time to kaukau!
You deserve all the respect and admiration youve been given bruddah, and Im sure my fellow TC ohana members would agree!

keep up the pono work brah, as I know you will!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-18 10:56 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 6:33 PM

Benz,

I know you have a finish on him now.....how does he look? I'm dying to see.....Please post your final pics!!!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 9:45 PM

Far out man, that guy is just flat out, mind boggling awesome!

Cant wait to see it fully sanded and stained and ready for action!

B

Kaha ki'i, Big Mahalos for all your kind words. Those are big words to live up to and I don't feel worthy, though sometimes I feel as if Those same old masters actually work through my hands and use me to get a piece done the way they want it done. NO matter how amny times I say "Thats it I'm Done, something takes over and starts another level of detail. I have been "Done" with this guy So many times I could have carved 3 pieces by now, but I guess "They aren't Done yet. Thanks again for the special things you said!

GMAN, Wrong, I have not put any finish on him yet. I Still have a bit to do to the headdress and Then I AM DONE!! Enough is enough. Here is a small update but I won't show you the whole thing yet. You will have to wait until I get some finish on him.

Hewey, Thanks my friend and you will see him soon I promise.

It is really everyones fault here on TC, that I have not been able to finish this guy. You all keep egging me on tokeep getting it finer and finer but today I draw the line. There is nothing more I can do, or Will do to him. He is done except for one back side of the headdress.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 6:32 AM

What a tease! :P

B

Oh Well, You know how it is Loki. This should take care of it. No More carving on this guy. Here he is with the first coat of sealer added.

I want to Thank everyone for all the positive comments and all the support, I really appreciate it.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 11:08 AM

OMG! Dang! I'm diggin' the details to the headdress. Nice job Ben!

-Gman

A

WOW Ben! Incredible.... words cannot describe. So much detail you really outdid yourself on this one.
-Alldo

Ben,
That has got to be your Masterpiece.
That belongs in a museum.
Unga = Benzart Fan Forever!

J
john posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 12:00 PM

that is SWEET!, awesome job!

KK

Aloha Ben!
Absolutely amazing bruddah! What can I can say that hasnt already been said? Hana Hou Ben! What other amazing carvings and surpises do you have waiting for us all to drink up?

Mahalo to a true "kahuna" for letting us all spark your miki'oi Carvings!!!

Malama Pono!

B

This one is absolutely amazing, Ben.

Lurking around and watching your carvings is one of my favortie things to do on TC. You never cease to amaze me, from the detail you can get into a necklace carving the size of a walnut, to behemoths like this one!!

He is beyond words. By far the most amazing carving I've seen. The headress is absolutely STUNNING!

Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us, and astounding us at every turn.

Your carvings get better and better! How can you keep topping yourself?! You are truly amazing.

Hey Benze,
As always thank you for being open with your process. I just looked at this Lono from start, pg 46, to now, almost finished, pg 57, an am even more impressed by the amount of photos. It is a how to seminar in its own right. This carving is gorgeous. I went back to the beginning to see what the wood was was;coconut palm. Kirby just set me up with some palm logs and your photos are definitely fuelin the fire.
Thanks again,
TT

J

Masterpiece! Can't say any more.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 4:22 PM

Masterpiece....Magnificent......Gorgeous.....Phenomenal.....WOW! I like the way you carved out your logo on the base, I like the detail you applied to the headress, teeth, chest, toenails, toes and hands. I like the color you used on it with the coating you just put on. That tiki is gonna make someone very, very happy I'm sure. You are an extremely talented artist, and I can tell that piece is something special to you too and that you are passionate about, it's just awesome.

[ Edited by: Bete 2006-01-19 16:28 ]

Holy crap Ben, when is all this madness going to end?!?! That tiki is truly amazing. Every one is better than the last, and since the very first one was great, I can't even imagine what you'll be doing another 50 tikis from now. I think soon you'll be carving in the 4th dimension. :wink:

Nothing I can add.....just wonderful, wonderful, wonderland. Thank you Ben.

B

Conga Tiki, You're Welcome and thanks for the comps too.

FinkY Madness? End?? Never I say.Thanks for your part in the TC Inspiration. In another 50 tikis, I'll Still be doing tikis as long as you guys are around to keep me going! I don't think there is a fourth dimension yet is there? Thanks

Bete, Yes this piece was special to me and gave it the Best of ME into it. Thanks so much for all your kind and glowing words

JohnnyP, Enough said. You helped me through some difficult times, Thanks

TikiTanked, Thanks to you for enjoying all my photos. I'm sure Hanford grimaces when he sees another "Benzart" thread open up because they keep getting bigger and bigger and taking more bandwidth. Sorry Hanford. Now you have to show us what you do to your logs.Thanks

ookoo lady I keep saying each carving is just practice for the next, but they all can't turn out as good as this. It is not me that's amazing it is the ancient masters who take over my tired bones and won't give them back until they can't work any more.

Bargoyle,Thanks for lurking and watching my carvings. Your inspirational words make me want to go right out and start another one. Thanks so much for that.

Kaha Ki'i, What can I say my friend. You have been here the least amount of time but I feel as though we have been friends for many years. I appreciate you being there for Inspiration and support have a few things coming out not surprising another Lono and a 6" Maori. There are 2 special commissions I will not talk about until they are done , but Trust me , you are gonmna like them

John, Thanks big time for the support and for the comps and for always being there!

Unga Bunga,Thanks for being a forever BenZart Fan I appreciate it.
HE will ned up in a Kind o museum as he is going to Duke and Amy Carters house of "Tiki Quest" Fame

Alldo Thanks for all the kind words you always manage to find

GMAN, Another fine friend. the headdress was carried a bit too far and even though it did turn out nice it will not be the normal one for a good while,

To Everyone I must say I appreciate the love and support I have gotten from folks here at TC. Thanks.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-01-20 04:39 ]

Ben-
That is THE BEST Lono I've ever seen here on TC. I'm not suprised you are it's creator.
I have been doing alot of non tiki wood creations lately(surfboard clocks) that were ordered from a surf shop in NJ I deal with. Finally our PC's were replaced so now I can see what going down at Tiki Central again.
We love the Ebony Tang we were so lucky to purchase from you. Thanks for your inspiration.
Be Well,
moon

That's a bar raiser, man. Top of the heap..

B

Moondance,,Welcome back,,Missed you. Thanks for the comps and GLAD you're back.

BK, Thanks Big Time

Here is the Last update. I added a touch of reddish color to him and here he is with the first coat of Poly. This is the final look as he won't change from here. Thanks

One tip for close up pictures. Check your camera manual for how to use the "Macro" settings. That is what I use on most of my shots.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 4:26 PM

I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Gman

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 4:58 PM

Awesome Ben. Ya I need to check my manual for the macro settigns as my clos ups look fuzzy. Thanks for the tip. Hey is that a little Lono waiting to come out I spy in the back of you shop? Looks like it has a curve in the log hmmm...can't wait for the pictures.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 5:11 PM

I just feel honored that this Lono was in my garage for a short time and i got to touch him :)

He is just beautiful.

J

Ben,
The Lono is terrific, but what is that I see hiding by the garage door?
JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 7:05 PM

I see him too...what a ya have going over there Ben? He looks round, as in like not a mask? Hmmmmmm.

-Gman

B

He is a 3 ft Lono made in Mahogany and not too far from him, out of the cameras view is a 6 ft Maori Mask in Washingtonian. Plus there are some other things I must create fairly soon.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 8:31 PM

Oh gosh! I think I need a sedative....

Nipples Rock!

You da Man!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-01-20 20:38 ]

Arrr.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-01-20 20:39 ]

beyond words .....

Oh. My. God. I have to admit: I've always found this thread really intimidating, so I tend not to spend much time in it. I mean, it's over 50 pages! Who has time to read all of it? But, I saw the pics of the finished Lono, and man, I am hooked! I had to go and look through all of it. Ben, that is some amazing work! I hope that my tikis turn out to be half that cool. You carved wedding rings, the moai, some super cool maori designs, and I lost count of the number of Lonos. I am amazed by the intricate patterns you carved into the headdress on the latest Lono. It reminds me of something like scrollwork, and adds so much to the tiki! I've seen large Lono-type tikis before, but nothing so detailed, and I have to say, it really makes them SO much better. You are a true master! Good work! That doesn't even begin to say all of it, but I don't think that there are words in english for how cool that tiki is. Rock on! Or something like that....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies