Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

When I grow up...

Lookin' SWEET Benzart!

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 8:47 AM

...............Cricket noises.....................................

Ben that is going to be one beautifuly detailed carving.

Wow

S

Wow! Looking incredible, Ben.

The detail is already absolutely stunning.

I'm very excited about this one!

Wow - missed a bunch over the last week. Ben, this will be a real masterpiece. I didn't know palm could hold that kind of detail.

Aaron

I am at a loss for words . Simply amazing work Ben.

He's coming alive, Ben - pretty soon he'll be breathing!

When he gets up you better get out of his way!!!! Ben your necklaces keep getting bigger and bigger!!! Seriously that guy looks awesome!!! Can I have him when you are done?? It doesn't hurt to ask...Just Kidding

F

Ben, Ben, Ben!! You always amaze me; a delightful treat time and time again. :)

Man! I loved it when it was just the shaped piece, now with all the Maori design on it, it's gonna be incredible! Wow, keep goin'.

B

Well, Thanks everyone,
Tiki G. , I'm not really raising the bar, I'm drunk under it
Palama, Thanks

Tiki Diablo, Don't let this guy fool you folks, he's all grown up and carves like it. thanks chiki

Thanks Capt'n Skully, it IS Sweet

Thanks McTiki, detail it certainly Does have, Whats that buggy sound??

Stentiki No don't go gettin too excited there,Thanks for the comps.

Aaron, thatt'l teach you to take off for a week without clearing it thru the teach. you lose 5 hall passes. fork 'em over Palm is not supposed to keep this much detail. I sat down and had a long talk and told him how things were and.....

Rodeo thanks for the comps, your tongue will start workin again soon.

Sam, Sam. Thanks so much for the kind words. I think I could carve a telephone pole and you would swear it was great.

Thanks spermy. I have just the chain for this guy.

Surfintiki, thanks and you bet I'm gonnakeep goin

Here is todays update. I still have the legs nd feet to finish plus a little teasing here and there.

Thanks for looking. Enjoy

M
Moki posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 8:35 PM

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from the keyboard......

Somebody is going to be very lucky. This guy is BEAUTIFUL!!

Ben is the master!!! Keep posting the pictures. I love them!!!

B

Thanks Moki. Arty gets this Maoi Man after Hukilau.
Watch that drool now.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-07 05:27 ]

ben this guy is amazing! Arty is one lucky dude. Palm can hold pretty good detail, and you've just proved it!

S

Luck of the draw, Poly. I hit the Buy It Now Before It's Too Late button on TC.

I'm a lucky in many ways and Benzart only adds to it.

Beautiful work my friend. I may be the owner but everyone here gets to enjoy it and it makes me happy that he will represent me at Hukilau this year since I can't be there.

Looking forward to more, Ben.

All I can say is thanks Ben for sharing your beautiful artwork. Is your websites page to order going to be up soon? I would be very proud to own any of your fine artwork. Arty, you are a fortunate man!
Thank again Ben :)
Wesley

The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small
stones.

-- Chinese proverb

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-09-06 22:58 ]

B

Thanks Arty, I'm sure he will keep track of all who come to Hukilau and give you a good report when he gets home.

Moondance, my son is working on an update for my website which should be up Soon. I don't think it will have "Buy it here" capabilities but all my work is for sale. Thanks for the comps.

B

Here he is with the stain coat added and carving finished. All thats left is the poly after the sealer.

The last picture is fairly accurate color wise.

Sorry about the fuzzy pix, I just couldn't get it to stay still. I guess this guy is ready to PARTEE.

M

Oh my gawd Ben! This is incredible. I'm at a loss for words. I'm packing my truck now and I'll be down ASAP.
Wes

S

SweeeeeeeeeT!

Tina and I are totally in awe of this Maori. It will be the perfect addition to the Stentiki Hut.

And thanks for putting my name on it too! :wink:

Outstanding work my friend. This really is a magical carving.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 7:28 PM

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Ben, you are amazing. I actually don't know what to say. Your postings just keep getting cooler.

M

Ben-
This may be a stupid question but is this fine carving available for sale??

fingers crossed and waiting anxiously,
Wesley

B

Hi Wes,
That is benZart # 20, carved from Chocolate maple I believe. No, it is Not available. What has happened is people started asking to be next on the list and every time I would post a pendant I would get a few more names on the list. Well that list is about a year old and now has about 69 names on it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it because I will Never get to the bottom of it. Over the last year and a half I have had about 10 various surgeries and I keep getting behinder and behinder. So after the first of the year, I will make some changes.
Anything that you see that you want, tell me what it is and I could make you one. I do Not have any stock available except for my last pendant # 63 made of Zebra wood..Hope this helps.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 9:36 PM

Wow, awesome stuff Benz. Love this big stuff. The tatts are just, so, WOW...

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 3:20 AM

Sweet mother of Moko Ben. He's just astoundingly awesome.

TG

Good looking stuff there Benzart!! Perfecto!

Ok. What's next??????? Amaze us some more with your skills.

Benzo---!!!

I think this necklace is a little large for a guy who just had a tripple by pass!!!

Insane in the membrane!!!

Score city!!

B

Hewey and McTiki, Thanks for the big props, the keep my fire lit,

TikiG, next is another Maori, a little bigger but similar to this one and then another lono.

The Rev Bamboo Ben, I have Lightened it up quite a bit. The back is all hollowed out with a plywood backing like the last one. I'll just have to put some Padding on the chain and maybe mount some Luggage wheels on the bottom for him so he can Ride it down hill. Think Arty could manage that and will you protect me from Tina??
Yeah, insane in the membrain all right...
He got his sanding sealer and the first coat of Poly today and he looks Sweet.

OL

All I can say is...wow....

Ben...awesome.
I hate to pry into your secrets of the trade, but....
How are you doing the tatoos, hand tool? or Power thingamajob.
inquiring minds wanna know!

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-08 21:01 ]

B

Power recriprocating carver connected to a Fordham type motor of 1/8 hp. I'm using a 3/8" 70Degree V-liner. Thisworks for me as I have No other tool combos that would work like this except maybe a bookoo bunch of diffferent sized straight chisels but this Palm is NOT very forgiving. No mistakes, if you have to re do something, it is screwed. The Recip carver takes all that away and does the job hands down.
Of course now that I have told you my trade secrets I'm gonna have to cut off your arms so you can't use the info I so Carelessly gave you and everyone else. Line up and fill out the form over by the door. I won't be removing arms until the form is signed.
Was there anything else you wanted to know, I mean Really Know????

Classic Benzart response! Love it.
Remind me not to shake your hand at Hukilau.

B

It's OK Surfintiki, you don't have to sign any papers.
Here is the last update for #3. He has his 3rd coat of Poly and the plywood stained and poly'd and once the back is screwed on he will be ready to Goooo..

Here he is standing next to a freshly roughed out Lono.

Here you can see how much he is hollowed out in back

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 7:27 PM

OMG!!!

M

Ben- Just a word to the wise, get that Maori back in the house pronto. I'm checking on flights now to swing by and hock that fine piece of art. :)
That Maori is absolutely beautiful!!

Wes

S

Incredible Ben!

I love the finishing touches and the dark stain. It looks even better than I had imagined.

Thanks for letting us watch you work.

You are the Magic Man!

He looks old and wise and somehow sad all at once. It's the eyes, I think. How do you bring all of that spirit out of a piece of palm trunk? That must be the difference between precise cutting and the ability to truly impart personality and character to wood.

Sorry, didn't mean to go all deep on you, but that piece has some real magic to it. :) You are the master carver, Ben! Wow us some more...

Aaron

TG

oooooh la la!!!!!

Very Nice Ben.

Ah, it's nice to get back from vacation and get my tiki fix. I just love seeing your new stuff Ben.

Awesome Benz, thanks for sharing. I've learned so much here, it's great.

F

really the sweetest benz and you r getting faster 2.

M

You have posted many pics of your "hay-day" carvings and other articles of art you had done for many establishments all over the world and over time. You are the master here today. You should relish in the inspiration and many contributions you have bestowed upon us over the years. I cannot wait for Hukilau to finally meet you and the many others out here that contribute to the overall feeling that is the TC Ohana these days.

McTiki

B

Hi Guys, I really havent been goofing off, I just wanted a surprize for you all.
GMAN and MoonDance, Thanks for the props

Stentiki thanks for the props and since it's your , you have to be the strictest of all. It's not ME thats magic, it's the Maori, magically making Me do what he wants to make this great for you.

AaronsA, he is Wise alright, a real wise guy and full of wise cracks. Wouldn't let me carve without laughing my butt off

Thanks TikiG for the props.

Raffertiki see what happens when you go away on a vacation and leave the rest of us here workin? Thanks for the props.

PalmHarborTiki, thanks for the comps and I'm glad my teachings are not going by unseen.

FlaCookz, Sweetist, I'm not so surethanks for the props though, maybe I'm relearning all this carving stuff again. It feels like it.

McTiki, thanks big time for the comps and props and honours and all the other great stuff you said. When I first rolled into TC, I had No idea that was the most significant thing to happen to me in a Long Long time. TC brought me back tothe world of tiki and wood carving. I owe everything to TC and all you great members and artists.
I haven't been goofing off the last 5 days, here is proof

This Maori is about a foot taller than the last one. I think I will do the same stain ans the last one or maybe black, not sure. Behind him I have a Lono all roughed out.
Enjoy.

H

Benz, are these already sold???

B

Hi Hiltiki, this one is not yet sold. These are going to Hukilau for decorations and will be sold there is any remain.
#1 went to the Hukilau Benefit Auction, Stentiki put a # hold on #2(will ship to him after Hukilau) and #3,this one, is not complete yet and is Available..

H

Benz read your PM please!

B

Sorry Hil, I went to make coffee for in the morning. You have PM.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies