Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B
Bete posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 6:30 AM

Ben, that looks so awesome, I am so impressed. I like that green pendant add on, the color is a great asset to that piece. I like the color and tattoo design, it's so cool looking.

KK

Ben, Ben, Ben!!!
Wow brah, you are so amazing bruddah...Im speechless, really. I cant get over how amazing that carving is. Absolutely stellar work Ben!
Your attention to detail (hei tiki pendant with Pearl shell eyes!) and the mana you create when you carve really blows me away...Youre an inspiration to us all Brah, what can I say?

Miki'oi Ben! BENZART NO KA OI!!!

I will be so proud to own one of your carvings Ben and I cant wait to send off your Goodies!

Malama Pono!

L
Loki posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 1:22 PM

Honestly Benz, i didnt look...

NOT!

Amazing work my friend. You really pulled out all the stops on this fellow. I believe you have enjoyed working on new ideas and pushing yourself as much as we have enjoyed watching him come to life. You are a true master and again, we are honored to have a BigBenz take residece with us.

J

I think I ran out of adjectives. Great Job.
JP

Pretty amazing job, Ben. I like the "Narangi" Teko he's wearing. That's a cool, authentic touch. Ono!

B

JohnnyP, I told tham and thay looked Anyway, do you believe that??haha

Polynesiac, thanks for the props. I Was going to carve a quick pendant and put it around his neck, but Hellloo I figured I would go ahead and carve it in then palm. This has been a Tough carve from the start. This Washingtonian is Not kind to chisels Or fingers. I have more splinters from this guy than All the other Big Benz's put together.
Thanks Again.

John, thanks for the kind words

You too Hewey, thanks

HodadHank, Thanks for the props. I figured I would try to get the haiTiki to look as much like jade as possible and I happened to have a green laundry marker that was perfect. Thanks.

Kahi Ki'i, once again your words are as beautiful as your carvings, you really can inspire with your words alone. This carving has been a challenge since the beginning. I really wanted Loki and Stumpgrinder to feel like they got their money's worth and the Maori fought me all the way. No tiki bites, but plenty splinters. It was very difficult doing this Moko in this stringy wood, but I am vert=y Happy how it turned out. Once again I spent Way more time than I anticipated, but fortunately my motto is to "Take as much time as it takes to be happy with the piece" , so I'm allowed to take my time..
Thanks again Kaha, I will be starting yours soon.

Loki and Stumpgrinder, I am so glad you like him so far. Yes this Maori has some unique benzart features not done before. I'm really glad I decided to give him a stately Hai Tiki, every good Chief deserves one. The only problem is with it is that now Everyone who gets a Maori will want one. I guess I better buy a bog can og green stain or paint.
The honor is mine to create him for you and your beautiful home. I just Know he will look so great there. Where have you found to place him?
Thanks again.

Thanks JohnnyP, your continued support is much appreciated.

BK, Thanks man, what can I say? You are one of the main reasons I am carving today. It was your inspiration and your great work that really lit the fire and made decide to get back to carving. Thanks, Big time, now and then too.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 3:11 PM

Benz,

One day I'll be able to get one of these from you. Until then I'll just look at your picture posts 50 times a day! This guy is great. I see many new bells and whistles on this guy - Loki must be giddy. Top notch all the way. You do beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-02-28 15:12 ]

B

GMAN, Thanks again for the kind words. Posting 50 times daily?? Sure..
He finally has the plywood backing cut and stained and has his First of 5 coats of poly.
Look but don't touch, Wet Paint.

Notice those large Coconut palm trunks , 6 + feet tall...

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-03-01 10:24 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 9:50 AM

Looks real good. That necklace is the best. And as you would say, now go got a make your next one. But, take some time to reflect, so start tomorrow.

That guy turned out great. You always amaze us with the detailed Moko. I watch your thread throughout the process - showing us ways to carve and create detail - but how do you start? Chainsaw, angle grinder, band saw, magic elves that come in the middle of the night? More info please.

J

He looks better in the sunlight, the tats really stand out. Loki and Stumpgrinder are lucky.

JP

B
Bete posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 10:27 AM

Looks so awesome Ben! I like the color stain you used on it. Nice detail work, great colors. I like that pendant, I like the cool color green you used and inlay idea for the eyes. That piece turned out great!

Your Maori guys always give me the creeps. I mean that in a good way--because they look like they're about to move or say something. You really give them the spark of life.

KK

WOW...OH MY GOD BEN!
Absolutely pono!! "Ho'oweliweli a ko ka lani..." (fierce and of the heavans)...you are blessed Ben, very blessed with the mana that flows from your chisel every time you create one of these masterpieces...
Your reputation here is well deserved...

Aloha and mahalo for being BENZART! Hana Hou!

On 2006-03-01 09:32, Benzart wrote:

I think I liked the pendant better before the Poly coat, it looked more stone-like to me.

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 2:38 PM

It's a beaute!

T

Hey this guy is making the rest of us look bad... DUH! Keep up the great, fantastic work. You are the inspiration for all of us Ben. I carved a new toothpick today! WooHoo!

C

He's not making us feel "Bad" Tikigap....he making us feel "human." It's just ole Ben
getting some help from the spirits again...You are outta this world Ben!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 5:49 PM

Benz,

He finished up great! The pendant really sets this guy off. Excellent work. The green looks so great next to the stain/poly. What a wild piece! Too bad he ate two #50s!!!!!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 6:32 PM

On 2006-03-01 13:34, freddiefreelance wrote:
I think I liked the pendant better before the Poly coat, it looked more stone-like to me.

I agree. I reckon go over the hei tiki with a dark green in places to highlight the detail of it.

Awesome, just the same.

B

That initial green was from a Marker pen and unfortunately Not a laundry marker that would have been color fast. The first coat I put on faded during the day and the second coad was going out as well. I found the closest paint I could find and while it did not heve the same look, it will still be green next week.
I liked the origianl better too but I need color that stays,.
I really want to thank Everyone for all your great comments, though I can't take all the credit for this guy, I had help from the ancient ones again and it is breathtaking to wake up and see what they did to your stuff. I really appreciant your support, every one of you. Mahalos to you all.

B

Here is the Maori with 3 coats of Poly a more Aged look for the hei tiki.
By Sunday he will be ready to go where ever he wants to go.

The finish is starting to look right.

J

Benzart.
It started to look "right" a long time ago!
JP

L

On 2006-03-02 16:28, Benzart wrote:
Here is the Maori with 3 coats of Poly.....

Ben and BK, you two guys should do a book and a video.
amazing stuff.

another great piece, ben! your skill and creativity are amazing!

B

Wow wow wow wow WOW!!!!!

Another in a loooong line of masterpieces. He is just too cool for school.

Sweet work once again Mr. Ben. You never fail to amaze.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Mar 3, 2006 8:06 AM

Personally, I liked the way the pendant looked at all three stages of how you did it. I think with it giving it an aged/worn look is making it turn out really good. It's very cool Ben, can't go wrong with green, it's a cool color.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 3, 2006 6:30 PM

Ahhh yeahhh! You got that green perfect. He's looking soooo sweet! I can't wait to see him at the next Tiki Jam!

-Gman

B

Thanks JP, I think he's looking left today.

Lanikai, I agree,meybe we should do a video featuring Several TC Carvers. It would be coool, thnaks.

Kingstiedye, thanks, it's just years of practice.

Bargoyle Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate your support, it makes a guy feel good.

Bete, I think you would probably like the benzart sawdust I create everyday as my #1 supporter. Thanks.

GMAN, thanks, yeah the green had me worried for a bit there, but I knew I could change it and just hoped it could get right.. He will look nice in Lokis house. I get to keep him for a week though, HappyHappyHappy

B
Bete posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 10:15 AM

Bete, I think you would probably like the benzart sawdust I create everyday as my #1 supporter. Thanks.

Ha, ha, you are too funny!

Well done ben that one is awesome i wood love that one

aloha ben! the maori turned out awesome!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 6:10 PM

Hey Benz! When you get the full set of Poly coats on there give us a whole series of pics of this guy. I really want to see him all finished up and with his plywood on. Hope you had a good weekend.

-Gman

J

No updates this weekend? Inquiring minds want to know.

JP

B

Bete, you Know I am joking, right? Thanks for your props.

Marcus, thanks, I appreciate that.

Kingstiedye, Thanks to you too.

GMAN, this is the Final posts for #9 and #67. Both Maories finished this weekend and today.

Johnny, here is for the inquiring minds, Thanks..
Here is the #9 Maori who is happy to be staying in Sunny Florida, HOORAYYYY

Here is pendant #67 made in Black Walnut with glass eyes

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-03-06 14:08 ]

T

GREAT lookin' as always ben!! i'm looking foward to what you make next. keep 'em coming!!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 3:16 PM

On 2006-03-06 14:06, Benzart wrote:
Bete, you Know I am joking, right? Thanks for your props.

Ha,ha, yes, I know you are kidding, I was laughing so hard when I read that "sawdust" comment, you are too funny. On a serious note, those two peices turned out great, the color on both of them is so cool. On the big piece I like how the green pendant turned out and liked all your detail tattooing work. On the pendant piece the eyes are "over the top" with that red glow, very cool.

B
Bete posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 3:18 PM

Questions: The big piece looks so "top heavy" (because of the big head), but it's not right? It can stand, right? so the chain is just added for "extra support" against a wall, right?

J
john posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 4:31 PM

those fellers are awesome! the faces are so lifelike - guaranteed to frighten little children! i like

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 4:46 PM

Ben,

Wow, those look terrific. The finish on the big Maori is perfect and the green pendant really adds to the piece. I'm glad you spent more time working on that color. I bet that backing makes him STRONG. I was wondering how you were going to do the backing on such a long and lean body. Now I know - just like the others :) Definitely two pieces to be proud of. Your talent really blows me away. Thanks for posting the group of pics. I can't wait to see the big Maori in person. That Maori pendant is killer. I love the Moko on him. Very complex. Who is the lucky dogg getting him?

Any news on the mahogany Lono?

-Gman

J

This inquireing mind is very satisfied. What Gman said duplicate here.

Thanks
JP

Hi Ben, thank you so very much for making my necklace so very special. I love the red eyes, cool, hot, scary hot. He is amazing. When I surprise Dan with our necklaces for our 28th anniversary I know he will be so happy to have such a special memento. We will show them to everyone, you are a master carver and my very dear friend. Hugs and Thank you, Wendy

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 6:57 PM

Wow - awesome work the hei tiki turned out to be a ripper! I love it. The small pendant is sweet too. It would be cool to rig up a small LED in the head so the eyes glow at night!

Hewey smiles as he realises the waiting list just got 2 pieces shorter...

T

Hey Ben - on #67 (just friggin awesome!) - on the inside, the eyes are red - coated with something? And in a couple of pics it shows red eyes on the outside, but the final shots show brown eyes on the outside? What gives?

Aloha Ben!!!!!!!!
Those carvings are incredable my friend!!!!!! You are the MASTER here on tiki central always something NEW and Creative and numerous dementions not flat and one sided. Your detail is truly amazing my friend and you inspire all of us with your AWEASOME work (a labor of fun) Those that are going to Tennessee to the carving seminar are in for some GREAT!!!! Instruction and learning from you. Mahalo for sharing with us all and Aloha for now , your friend, Mooney

That pendant is unbelievable!! The detail and precision of the facial features - wow.

B

Here are 2 more Maoris I need to finisg, the Walnut one goes with the last one#67 and the Florida Rosewood one goes to Kaha. These are only smooth rough outs.

The one on the left here and much less finished is the Fla Rosewood

T

Who are those for, and how do I get on the list. I wanna Benzart! I wish I could do that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies