Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

Aarons, I would Really love to be there at Oasis to see all you guyz. I Gotta get out there once at least.Thanks. Not sure there is Room for Fla flags on My tiki plate.
AS, Never tried relief carvings on anything else, maybe I'll add that to my to do list. Thanks
BEtte Thanx agaiN.
THe HD with all the pix is Blank. I finally got some diagnostics run on the drive and it was fine ,,for a new,BLANK hard drive. Windows said blank and thats what it is. Oh well, at least the drive is fine...Yeah right.
UnhappyUnhappyUnhappy right now.

B

OK, So I've been Goofing Off, The vanity plate is done and on the truck. Actually I have been busy this past week getting stuff ready to take to my son in Alabama next Friday. We are going to try to take all his belongings that he left here when he moved to Birmingham. Monday though I should be starting back to carving.
Heres the Plate:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 4:53 PM

Benz,

Looks GREAT! Only you would think to do that. And, only you could pull that off. Great advertising!

-Gman

Hey Ben, You should think about stopping by the Wiki Wiki ROom when in Alabama. We are located just about 30-40 min to the west of Birmingham. If you got time, would love to meet and host the master.

Jeff

The plate looks AWESOME Ben!

Very nice Ben! A break and a bit of a side project is always good... keeps the mind fresh.

Have a safe trip... we'll see you back here again when you're back. :)

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 11:48 PM

Cool plate man! The black detailing really sets it off too. Nice

B
Bete posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 5:35 AM

Very nice Ben, it turned out cool.

B

Thanx GMAN, I'm sure I am not the first to make his own plate, Well Maybeee right. Thank again

Tikisobayli, Thanks for the invite, we just MAY Come see you.

Tikimecula, thanks big time for your comps, Nice to see you 'round here!

Thanks Lake, Appreciate the kind words. We're leaving early Friday morning and coming back on Monday, so it wion't be too long. Again thnaks.

Hewey, thanks to you too for the props. YEah, the lettering would not have shown up without the black. Thanks.

Last but not least, Bete, Thanks again big time from my #1 fan. What can I say, Mahalo!

Heres the update from yesterday

And here is the update from today.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-05-09 16:40 ]

L
Loki posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 4:40 PM

Ben,
I love the shape of that hand. Looks kind of like a trident. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

J

The hand just looks like it is just floating in space. I don't know how you do it, I know a lot of work goes into it between updates, but you make it look too easy.

The plate turned out nice. We we move to Florida, I'll have to order a Benzplate.

Have we seen the lono on the workbench way in the background?

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 5:40 PM

Benz,

Glad to see some updates from you. I was getting the shakes! These two guys are killing me. I can't put into words how much I like them. Classic BenZart stuff, classic designs. You are really getting freaky with the arms/hands now. I love it! I can't wait to see them in Moko and Puhoro. Are you gonna use Paua for eyes in the small guy?

Hope you are feeling better. And yeah, I've seen that smaller Lono on the bench in a few other shots. When are you gonna give us a peek at him?

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 7:46 PM

Awesome man. After all this time on TC your work still blows me away

So, I'm sitting here in my living room carving away, and I'm having a great time. I step back and look at my work and it seems pretty good to my eye. During this break, I log on and see what the rest of the tiki carving world is up to. I get here, look back over my shoulder at my work, and realize that I cannot afford a break right now. You make it so I need to work, want to improve, and inspire all my efforts. Thanks Ben,
Buzzy

Just AMAZING! I agree with Buzzy; Ben, you make us try harder! Now how do you separate the arm from the body like that? I mean, what tool? Do you just chisel through, or use a saw or what? I want to try that sort of thing but I'm sure I'm gonna break the arm off.

Thanks for the continuing updates!!

B

Well here is the update for today. Not much, but an Update none the less.
Loki, thanks for the comps. Knowing I put a smile on your face makes me smile too . ON another note, is Elizabeth's Dad coming down soon? I Hope it is not while I am in Alabama. Thanks again Loki.

JohnnyP, Thanks for the comps. It not only looks easy, it IS Easy, you're right. The hand is raised and looking for action, like it is in mid flight, finding a job to do caught in the process. I see, He is sanding the plate for me. We All work round here JohnnyP. That Lono you keep seeing i one I am carving for my son. It is in a Wait stage which means I have been too lazy to work on it.
Thanks

GMAN Thanx for your support also Yes the small guy will have shell eyes and he will have a top-knot on his head too to cover the hole I am going to open on the top of his head so I can lighten him up a bit. Careful around me when I say Lighten up a bit,,, one never knows does one . Its the carvings wuo are getting a bit freaky around here, not ME. I'm on the straight and level.

Hewey, Kind words and bribery will get you everywhere. Thanks sincerely!

BayParkBuzzy, I could use a little help down here, and you may just be the man . Keep goin like you are going and you will be the new master around here one of these dayz,We can get you to improve IF we can get you to work onec in awhile...

Silverline, I'm using chisels and gouges to raise that hand above the body like that.Small chisels remove small chips and you get smaller mistakes I hope I have answere everyones questions tonight..Heres the Work

![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db31b3127cce8911c98bfdb100000045138BZsnDFm3ao[/img
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db31b3127cce8911ce0f3c9e00000016108BZsnDFm3ao)

Ben I wish we were sitting at Coontiki and sipping coffee with you...then I could pick your brain about
where these ideas come from. There is a "spirit" in you and I hope I absorbed a little bit of it.
Nice work... as we have all come to expect...happy!

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-05-10 20:38 ]

It is in a Wait stage which means I have been too lazy to work on it.

I know how you feel Ben, that Trader Vic's pole that keeps showing up in the back of my studio shots is one of those pieces. And yet, I started on that hulking 2 foot by 6 foot pole. Too many half done tikis sitting around!

Very nice work on these... I love the condensed Lono... a little guy that packs a punch!

..looking good my man!!! ...that he seems to be flashing the gang sign for the latin kings is probably no mistake considering where i live...he'll fit right into the mix as my Maori homey!! can't wait to see the tattoo details you put on him...nice job, ben.....

H

Benz this looks fabulous.

S

Ben, did you remove the inner wood for weight or for drying without cracking? Or both? I had a guest over the other night who is an expert carpenter and he was very surprised that I was carving on whole logs. He said that if you remove the core of the tree, you get almost no cracks. So, drilling a nice hole up the middle, or carving out the back, is good to prevent checking.

B

Conga thanks for the props. The Coon Tiki experience was a once in a life time event. There may be others, but they will never be the same, or have the magic this one had. Everyone there learned and Absorbed form everyone else. The knowledge and spirit flowed from everyone and everyone contributed. It wasn't just you guys learning from the teachers, we learned from the "students" too. We were all actually students. it was just a beautiful experience and I think everyone felt the magic.

Thanks lake, the little Lono Is very compact and a Challenge too because of it. It's like he will be kneeling as if praying, but I don't think Tiki Gods Do that he will be fun. I think we all have some of those pieces hanging around waiting for inspiration, maybe this lono has found it? Thanks again

Tipsy, thanks, yes he seems to be beginning to show his attitude and it Ain't all Smiles and sweetness. I can't wait to start the tat's on him either. This wood will be So Great for that fine detail.One thing I recently read about the Maori Moko Artists. They tried to fill their canvas Full and leave no blank areas. Once the Moko was complete there was Very little skin showing. More FunFunFun.

Hiltiki Thanks, you have No idea what a Rush it is to work on 2 of these magical pieces at the same time. They each push the other one to the limits.

Swank, thanks, The hollowed out back is purely to save weight and make them economical to ship. Otherwise the weight would make shipping cost way too much.
The splitting issue is a side benefit.
'I'll be leaving early tomorrow and will be back Tuesday, Have a Nice Weekend everyone.

B
Bete posted on Thu, May 11, 2006 3:29 PM

The fingers look so cool on the big one, I can't believe it stands like that (as it looks so top heavy), just amazing. Can't wait to see how it turns out with all the detail work.

[ Edited by: Bete 2006-05-11 15:38 ]

B

Thanks Bete. He stands pretty solid too for being so top heavy. I will have an update tonight from what I did today. He's getting there.
Later.

B
Bete posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 4:35 PM

Cool, I'm looking forward to the update, I'll check back again tomorrow.

B

Here is all I did today. not much. I used several different sized chisels to free the left arm and club. He is Almost ready for sanding and THEN I get to have all the fun with the Moko

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-05-17 19:28 ]

Is it just me or does he look like he is about to open a can of whoop ass on someone. I am afraid to say how amazing he is for fear of the club.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 7:44 PM

On 2006-05-10 15:51, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I get here, look back over my shoulder at my work, and realize that I cannot afford a break right now. You make it so I need to work, want to improve, and inspire all my efforts. Thanks Ben!

I agree man! This guy is looking tops and a little peeved at the same time :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 7:46 PM

Benz,

OHHH Yeahhhh!!! I'm liking this. You are doing superb work on this fella. What a face he's got and his hands/arms are killer. I can't wait to see how you mark him up with Moko and Puhoro. You never cease to impress!

-Gman

B

I think it's strange how he looks like Dr House on House

Hot damn Ben, you're amazing! He's so ancient looking, and yet very new and unique at the same time.

purdy amazing Ben...really like what you did with the hands and face on this guy...and the
body and toes...and...well...you get the picture! Keep trying...you're starting to get it....

Nothing like a pissed off Maori warrior with weapon in hand. I will be patiently waiting to see his tat work and crisp detail. Thanks for the inspiration and mahalo for checking out my pics! I've been bitten by the tiki gods and there no turning back!
Beachnik

My turn to heap the praise - wow! he is really coming alive (even without his innards) I see you have raised the bar oh carving master! I may get a nose bleed climbing to those heights - but I'm gonna give it my darndest efforts.

M

Mui bueno Diablo Tiki !!!

Love it Ben !

He looks like he just came back from a Taua and he's charged up. I am assuming he's getting a good dose of tapu?

Mc

J

You have some devine vision in your head that drives those hands to create such wonderful pieces. Looks absolutly fantastic.
JP

J

You have some devine vision in your head that drives those hands to create such wonderful pieces. Looks absolutly fantastic.
JP

OK- I really like your art, but I don't know why this posted twice!
JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2006-05-18 09:24 ]

B
Bete posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 6:38 AM

Ben, cool eyes, arms, hands and teeth on this one. I like how you carved out the hands and arms like that (it gives a nice depth perception). It's looking great!

H
Helz posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 10:57 AM

Simply stunning.

(What else can I say?)

B

Thanks to Everyone for posting such good words, you guys keep me going, it makes the pain livable. I feel so honored to hear all of your praise when I don't feel it is deserved, Thanks to everyone.
Here is todays update. I sanded him down with 60 grit so far, then I had to spend half the day replacing a Hot water heater that leaked all over the garage floor
I started drawing out some Moko lines..

He is looking awesome! Your stuff is starting to have so much life in them, I'm starting to think it's gonna get up and start moving around!

B

Rodeo, he Does look like he Wants to open a Big can of Whoop Ass on Someone. HE is taking control Thanks

Hewey big thanks for the kind words and yes he IS a Lot peeved.

GMAN, Be Careful liking this guy, he's not very likable I Have to stay a few steps ahead of you guys or you will be carving better than I ever thought I could. Thanks for the comps man,.

Hey Finky, thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Those are my goals, to have him look Old and Ancient, and contemporary at the same time Thanks again,

CongaThe hands and feets on this guy sort'a did themselves, thay just happened. I can't take the blame, unless they turn out great, then it was ALL MY Idea, you know the program, Thanx big time.

Beachnik, I should have done the tats Before I gave him weapons, because Now if I screw them up, he will screw up My face and that doesn't sound too pleasant.
There are Much worse things than to be bitten by the tiki bug. enjoy it, it ain't bad. Thanx for the props.

Marcus, MArcus,,, YOU I Worry about on One hand and am happy and proud of you on the other.
You have the ability to be a Much better carver than I ever thought aboit being. You have the innate talent to create the beautiful Ancient classics just like they were done Many generations ago. The Ancient carvers are All in your blood and in your mind. Listen to them and let them have their lead. You have MAny years left to get much greater than anyone alive now, go for it.
Thanks for the kind words.
No get back to carving Sir.

MC, Yes he IS Charged up and Full of Tapu and Ornery as hell too boot. Thanks for the comps.

Thanx, JohnnyP, What I have in my head is a whole crowd of Maori chiefs and they all want it done different ways and I get Stuck in the middle.

Bete, the arams and hands and his club, All took way too long They all had to be released from the body and they wanted them to look strange but logical and Yes thet IS a finger on the left hand.You have to give these features a bit of Air and seperation from the rest of the body. I don't kmow who makes the rules, but the ancient voices in my head have their own versions and reasons for having me do things their way., Thanx Bete

Helztiki, Big mahalos for the kind words. Hope you still like him when he is done.

Surfintiki, Thanks, He Better just stay put and Not go moving around. He isn't allowed across the street by himself Thanks again..

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 7:19 PM

Ben,

That is just awesome. My god....

Sorry to hear about the water heater. That sux.

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-18 20:13 ]

B
Bete posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 6:10 AM

Ben, it looks soooooooooo awesome sanded like that, I can't wait to see how the tattoo details turn out, it's looking great!

B

Thanks GMAN, At least the Water heater was free since it was only 4 years into a 6 year warranty.
Bete, thanks again
Here is todays update. I sanded the small guy and coated both guys with a Minwax Wood Hardener, Too bad it only works on wood. Here are both photographet together for the first time. The size difference is amazing on film.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 5:04 PM

Benz,

Those shots are killer. The difference in size IS amazing. The little guy is so great. I can't wait to see what you do with his eyes and moko. The big guy is a monster. What a noggin! I love it all!

-Gman

nothin better than a Benzart carving on the back of a Chevy truck...priceless to a tiki carving
car and truck salesman! The two maori are so good they give me the creeps...the look like they
could start walking or clubbing at any moment.

J

Stunning. These pictures were well worth the download wait. Keep posting. Every time I see one of your tikis come to life I am just bewildered at your talent.
JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies