Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

Ben,
You are such a great inspiration here for all of us. I don't think anyone here could disagree with that.
Incredible Artwork!
Wes

I can't wait to see these in person so you can hear the audio when I say Daaaaammmn!

Your carvings ar just amazing Ben.I love your work.

B

Thanks TikiG, Much appreciated and I hope to have one more done before Huki.
You too Moondance, Raffertiki and Marcus. You guyssure know how to make an old toad feel allright, Big Mahalos.

Here is the update wih the stain and the back. The back is done from a piece of masonite I had laying around. This guy weighs in at about 25 lbs.

(these blanks are for you Palama :)

8T

Now that is one of the nicest pieces you've done since you
have entered the post Las Vegas "BIG BENZART" period. I hate to try to rank them but I personally like this guy best! Keep 'em coming!

B

Thanks 8ft., Thats great to hear from a tikiphile such as yourself. This guy has really taken longer then the rest and has a lot more detail than the other Lono's. Thanks for the comps 8ft

another great one Ben...love it all....can't believe
you just keep em coming...a great inspiration...as usual!

I like the finish you did on this one Ben. I love the piece itself but the finsh looks great. How was that done?
Wes

This Lono has tons of personality! He looks like he just got back from the big Luau & needs a toothpick!

K

benz you ARE the tiki god,I need to get inline for one of your tikis big or small,mabey we can make a trade or sumthin...

HI Ben! this one is totally awesome...just like all your others. I like these big ones that you're doing, more "canvas" for the arteest, no?

I dig the mouth on this one, with the tongue curled up like that. Very cool. Another hookeelauwww masterpiece!

TG

Sahweeeet!

Kudos to Ben once again.

Did you stain him twice? From the pictures it looks like you put a darker stain in the "shadowed" areas, then a slightly lighter stain over all? It's beautiful and looks like it was carved years ago, the wood age darkened.

B

Thanks Conga, I have to keep carving to keep up with All you guys. Actually this is "Hukilau Overdrive Mode" and Not the normal way benzo works. After Hukilau there will be a total meltdown. Since thats when I have my next cataract surgery, it works out great!

Moondance, thanks. This guy was sanded down to 220 in the places I could reach then burned lightly to eliminate the straggling hairs, then stained with a mix of Ebony, Early American and Mahogany, mostly to use up a few almost empty cans. The Ebony overpowered the rest, but you do notice a deep reddish cast in the light. Once that dries, he will get a couple coats of Sanding sealer and then a couple coats of Poly.

Thanks Aaron, yes he did the luau and if he doesn't behave, he may end up to be a pile of toothpicks.

KIrby, thanks. I've been called a lot of names, but Never a "Tiki God". I would hate to Offend the real tiki gods.

Thanks Pol, Much appreciated.. You just don't see the ones that don't make it. It's true about the Big ones having more "Canvas" for the artist. I had fun with this tongue.

Thanks Tiki G, Love those props.

Dr FreddieFreelance,Thanks. He has the same stain over the whole piece. While it was wet, I wiped some off with a rag. (Dangerous as splinters are picked up and thrust into ignorant finger tips) Then when the stain dried, I lightly sanded ofer the high spots Trying to give him an Aged, seasoned look. I never know until the last coat of finish has dried how it will turn out though. Working with palm is very interesting, especially during the finishing stages. Those hard capillaries do not accept stain readily and would have to be soaked and soaked to be colored. To do that you might as well paint the thing. Anyway, staining techniques on palm can really add to the "Antiquing" process. Now to remove these 1000 splinters.
Thanks again everyone for your kind words and support.
Seeya' at HUKILAU

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 5:42 PM

Ben,

I'm just back in town....and this new Lono is TIGHT! Honest, it's the Shnizzell!! I can't believe the turn around time on this one. What did it take, 5 days?

Looks like I will miss the party Friday night, and the Mai Kai is only doing two shows Saturday. Since we'll miss most of it, My wife and I are likely not going to Lauderdale. I'll miss seeing your work, but I'll see you soon.

-G

S

Nice work Ben! Love those Lonos, especially the detail on the head dress. And the Maoris...well, the are just magic.

Magic carver are you!!

B

Thanks GMAN, Are you Sure you have to Miss the Hukilau??? There will be plenty MaiKai partying going on the other nites too, Rethink it even for a day it's worthwhile!
This guy took 10 days from the first rough out.

Stentiki, thanks for your comps and support. I'm glad I can find some Magic to pour into these carvings, but actually it isn't me. The carvings bring up the Ancient masters who do the best part of the carving, while I just go along for the ride. I get to help the ancient masters and they help me. It is an All-around fun deal except it really takes a lot out of you. Thanks.

I Finally finished an OLD Maori piece that I started a Long time ago, maybe a year. I Finally found the inspiration to finish him. He's 2' tall made from 2 2x6's glued together mask style. He has Mahogany stain and some kind of shell eyes, my memory will not let me remember

Now I may have time for 1 more lono.
Sorry Moki, After Huki, I will find time for a princess, Although a Princess should take priority Any time!

wow man... those eyes and that face are pretty mesmerizing... i can imagine being a native seeing that in situ... eerie 8| nice work, benz!

TG

Dang Ben.......Now your pulling them out of the woodwork literally! This thing is rad as hell. Why did you stop on it? Is that just regular pine 2x4's you say? How'd it carve?

Awesome,

G.

M

Ben can I come down and spif/clean up your work space? I get to keep what ain't done okie dokie?

That Maori is off the hook!

"I may have time for another Lono" indeed

See you soon Bruddah

B

Johnny$, I forgot to put in a warning , NOT to Look at those eyes more than a few minutes. He won't hurt you, bet he is quite the prankster, look for strange things..... Thanks for the comps.

TikiG, I don't fully remember the whole reason I quit working on this one at the time but what I remember, I'd rather not talk about. He finished up really nicely, I may keep him.
He is regular Home Depot doug fir 2X6's it didn't carve too bad but I won't do it again, I will get real wood for the next one of thoe. I can get commercial cabinet grade in 3 or 4"X10" to 16" planks 8' to 12' long in Mahogany or white pine. Now THAT will make some masks.
Here is the last Lono that I hope to finish by the time Hukilu comes around. It is Already killin me.

Well thatz it for now, gotta go lay my battered body down and get to sleep so I can do it again tomorrow. Enjoy

O

You make it look so easy!!

Thanks for all the pictures. It's amazing to watch them evolve.

Go Ben!

My all-time favorite lono design...
I love the eyes and have used them on a few of mine this year...
Classic style-old school!

Go Ben!

Ben-
What can I say that I haven't said already??
BEN RULES!!!! Thanks for sharing your progress!!!
Later,
Spermy

K
kirby posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 1:21 AM

You need to make a video, I would love to watch a true master work in real time.Your amazing benz...

F

[crowd chanting] Ben...Ben...Ben...Ben...Ben...BEN!

We love you! :D

B

Thanks Ona, it IS easy, well Kinda, sorta.. Glad you are enjoying them, Thanks.

Lake, Thanks, I'm Going, going almost gone. Yeah, I figured I would try a classic with a bit of BenZart thrown in.

Thanks Sperm Whale. If you have said it already, all you can do is Say it again. You're welcome.

Kirby, Thanks, One of these days I'll get someone with a camera to come over and Do It. Then you can see for yourself how eazy it is.

Finkster, Don't go getting them all riled up now, Thanks..

Heres the update for today. Couldn't do anything yesterday since I slightly overdid it Friday.

A small update on the wedding rings.

Hi ben another owesome tiki. I love love love your work.

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2005 3:27 PM

Happy Happy! Be partyin with The Ben soon.

R

I love the eyes and face on this last one the best. Ah hell I love them all.
I am sorry that I dont get to see these in person and meet their maker .

Thanks for sharing and inspiring .

more amazing work, Benz!

B

Marcus, thanks for alwayscomping my work. You need to move closer so we can shout over the fence at each other. Your Traditional inspired me to do this latest Lono. Mahalos.

McTiki, can't wait either. Thanks

Rodeotiki, Thanks for the comps, you KNOW where these guys will be and I Know you Could be there, right? Well maybe next year.

Palama, you Always have Nice comps to say, Thanks.. We'll have a get together after Huki a week or 2, anyone else wanna come.

Here is the latest of the Lono with stain only. Tomorrow I plan to hollow out the back, fit and cut a piece of plywood sor support and finish with Poly, Thursday he goes to Hukilau. These are all for sale but #2

There will be One more update time willing

TG

Awesome...can't wait to see it. Once again Ben, YOU Rock!

G.

That guy is SWEEEEET!!! Ben I hope you have a awesome time at the Hukilau!!!
Thanks Again,
Spermy

M

I would love to get that one Ben. It's fantastic.

B

Thanx Spermy, I'm sure Huki will be filled with pleasantries gonna miss you..

Moondance, this one isn't spoken for yet.. Thanks. This one is my favorite lono so far I think.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 5:24 AM

On 2005-10-04 21:35, Benzart wrote:
This one is my favorite lono so far I think.

Mine too.

C

great work Ben...I'm sure they will be Hukilau
celebrities....looking forward to seeing your stuff in
person....whoknows....mebee next year.

B

Thanks CongaTiki, maybe you can get an autograf, ask them..

Foamy, thanx to you too.

Here is the Final update for the big lono mask. 5 ft tall and weighs in at 41 pounds, so shipping weight is about 45 lbs..

See y'aa at HUKILAU :) :) ;0

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-10-05 17:29 ]

K
kirby posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 6:44 PM

Im sure you seel all your tikis benz, I wishi i could be at the huki to see your stuff in person...

TG

What more can I say,,,,,see you tomorrow evening.

Big Ben #6 Kicks ASS!!

B

Kirby thanks. I'm sure you could find a way to get to Hukilau..

TkikG, I'll be lookin for yo and ms Tiki Kate, Thanks for the comps.nYou guys have some Awesome stuff too. Can't wait to see it All

Spermy, Yeah he Does Kick ass! He kicked mine all over the garage for the last 7 days. I WOn, bet he beat the crap outta me!
See ya at Hukilau

That design is unbelievable, Ben. And the stain... that is THE color, my friend! Have fun at Hukilau!

OMG Ben that is Great!!
Have a good time at the Hukilau!

I am in AWE, my friend! have a great time at Hukilau!

Tomorrow I will be shaking hands with the creater of Lono #6. Woohoo!

8T

WOW.....Ben, this one is so beautiful. Well Done!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies