Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

Here is this guy with eyes now. I wanted him to see where we were going.

Hate to say it but several of these look JUST loke Bamboo Ben. Has he been hanging around my workshop recently. I know he's been seen sneeking around everywhere and this guy looks suspiciously like he modeled for it for sure. Hey Ben whats the story??Huh???

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-08-27 19:50 ]

Hey, you have a point there, Ben. I've never met him, but the pics I've seen of him... the hair.... The resemblance is uncanny, I say.... Lookin' fine as always, Ben!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-08-27 20:29 ]

H

Cool carving ben. Even with one eye you still are awesome

Ben it looks like me with that quif/hairdo.

M

Ben, this little guy reminds me of a Pirranah Tiki god. The teeth look ominous! Cool Tigerwood.

Keep the inspirations coming.

McTiki

Arrrrrrrr!!

(beer belly and all!!!)

Back to work.

TG

Ben you go big.....then you go small. Then you go this way, then you go that way. Is there any way you don't go?

Great job on the "Bamboo Ben" look-a-like!!!!!

Working on a few things for the Hukilau. See you there!

G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-08-29 11:07 ]

For some reason I am reminded of the lil wood carved doll in Trilogy of Terror.

::: shudders ::::

His teeth are very scary!! Well done again, Ben!

B

Thanks to All of you for the great input. It really gets me fired up to make more sawdust!!.
Any ideas what this is going to be?

GIVE US ......... MORE MOR MOIA

S

On 2005-08-27 19:42, Benzart wrote:

Hate to say it but several of these look JUST like Bamboo Ben. Has he been hanging around my workshop recently. I know he's been seen sneeking around everywhere and this guy looks suspiciously like he modeled for it for sure. Hey Ben whats the story??Huh???

Awesome! Tiki Punk! I think this should be the official Bamboo Benbino Tiki. Just kidding, Reverend. :wink:

Amazing work as always, Ben.

Many mahaloz for sharing.

B

Thanks FlaCookz,, unfortunately it is not moai. There is a hint right below the last picture, Yes a maori

Stentiki Thanks for your input on the benzino debacle tiki.
It must have the power of suggestion cuz I didn't realize the father son resemblence until the second coat of lacquer went on.
Mahalo for the props Arty, they means a lot..

M

Can't wait til you get to the detailing part. I'm sure you'll put some killer tats on the buggah.

Are you done w/ the chainsaw on this piece?

I tend to over motivate my chainsaw cuts and jack up a piece of wood.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 9:12 PM

Its gonna be another masterpiece by Benz!

Hey Ben,

Can't wait to see the Maori carving!

How tall will it be? Do you ship to HB?

And by the way, I talked to Bamboo Ben Monday night and he says "you da man." So no wonder you carving him. :)

Big ups to you!

B

Thanks again everyone.
Manokoa, I will probably do more chainsaw work with the body and legs, not sure. I used to have the same problem with removing too much wood. Now I do as little as possible and go back if needed.
Thanks Hewey, Ofcourse!
Arty, sure, I'll ship anywhere. This guy is about 50" tall.
Here is the latest update.

Here is a wedding ring I am working on for a friend of PJ's. It is out of Lignum Vitae, a very hard wood.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-08-31 12:05 ]

Ben,

The tiki looks incredible so far!

The ring?? I simply cannot wait to see what you are going to do that! The design looks intricate and I can just tell it's going to be another work of art! I'm in suspense!!

B

Here is the latest update on the Maori BigBenZart

M

WOW BEN that is incredible!! I need to pitch a tent near you and beg for your carving guidance.

B

Moondance, Come on down. There are vacant lots next door. You could clear a space and pitch your tent there and wait for the garage door to open. free lessons

M

That would be the best vacation I could think of.
Ben- check out my photos of my Tiki Moon on the AAC posting.
Wes

C

super Ben...makes me smile a lot...gotta see more pics

M
Moki posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2005 8:37 PM

WOW!!! Check out the lips on that guy!! Can't wait to see more. How are your eyes holding up?

And a ring!!?? On no..... put me back on the list!! I think Ric owes me an anniversary present pretty soon. :lol:

Amazing as always. Can't wait to see more.

Keep up the great work Ben!!! You are my hero!!!

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2005 11:15 PM

off the hook benzy,looks awsome...

Man, Ben! That guy is something else! These full sized Benzarts are FINE! I'm proud that you are working on such a large scale when not long ago, you had just begun carving smaller pieces again. Way to go!!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-02 00:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 1:39 AM

Awesome stuff dude

A

I like how you show the big and small stuff.
And by small I should say micro. A wedding ring? WOW.

Great stuff Benzart.

Aloha
E

Love the big guy.

A Ring? Now that's going small. Are you using knives or a rotary tool? Is the blank something you made or ordered?

WoW! He's cool...lotta soul too.
I didn't know Lignum Vitae was carvable! That stuff is just about THE hardest wood in the world. I used to paddle to LignumVitae Island in the keys and read all about that wood, holy shnikees it's hard.
I definately want to see how that one comes out.

B

Thanks everyone, I'm So glad you like the Maori so much. He's about my favorite subject to carve, The most magical and rewarding.
The wedding band started from a small hunk of Lignum Vitae. I first drilled out the center to just under the desired size. The wood carves like butter,,,with metal working tools and fortunately I have many burs from my jewelry working job many years ago. Woodworking tools would just crumble from this stuff!! I chose the wood because I hoped it would be able to be carved thin and then stand up to the wear and tear that a rind faces. I'll get some progress shots and also shots of the tools later today for you.
Thanks again..

S

Lookin' good, Ben!

I can't wait to see the Maori when he's complete. That ring looks awesome too!

I don't know how you do it all but keep 'em coming.

B

Here is todays update of the Maori and the wedding band. Also some of the tools I use for the ring.

These are extra blanks I made for when I mess up the first ring

Thanks for looking.

Good work Ben.
I can see a lot of new orders coming your way

Wow! They both look awesome! Those really small burrs, are they die grinder size (1/4"), or Dremel size (1/8") ?

M

Ben-
Amazing work, How many hours a day do you carve/create?
I was at a friends dental lab today and he gave me a few bits that look very much like the tools you have there.
Wes

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-09-02 16:14 ]

B

Thanks for the comps guys. These burs are 3/32" shafts and I have some 1/8" burs also. I can carve about 3 hours a day max, sometimes a bit more if doing something easy. Yes, dentists use some burs this size but mostly theirs are 1/16", super high speed, carbide. I don't have a die grinder any longer so use gouges instead.

C

unbelievable...whenever i think i am getting close to
"decent"....i see your work and it brings me down to
earth....is this one sold?

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 5:42 PM

I just showed my wahine this art. We are blown away Ben! As usual Brah! You are the Jedi of Tiki.

Mahalos

McTiki

COOL!!! another maori warrior! He already looks awesome...you get that palm so smooth, its amazing! is that from sanding?

that ring is something else! that detail is incredable. Nice work Ben, I can't wait to see the updates tomorrow.

B

I didn't do much today since it was Saturday, but I HAD to at least start on the face. It's just a start, but it gives an idea of whats to come.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2005 8:15 PM

Ben,

That is gonna be KILLER! I need to get tat lessons from you for my shark.

-G

8T

Oh yeah....Now we're gettin' to the good part!!!!!!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 3:27 AM

Cool carvings man! Both the maori and the ring look like they gonna be killer. Nice

J
john posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 8:12 PM

awesome work ben! the detail on such small pieces is astounding!

B

Thanks GMAN, 8ft and Hewey, for the props. someone does have a hold on him, so yes he is spoken for. He will be at Hukilau first for decorations along with his brothers.
Here is the update for today. All I did was draw on him, didn't cut anything. This is the planning part. It is very difficult to do Fine detail in palm wood so I must find how fine I can go.

these will have to hold you till tomorrow.

TG

Oh no.....you're really raising the bar now.

Ouch. Insane is all I can say and your not even done with it yet.

Go Benzart!

absolutely amazing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies