Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

For the eye I used the same tools as above along with a 1"#9 gouge and a 1/4"#3 gouge and a 1/4 skew chisel
Thanks PDrake..

Benzart,

Killer tiki, what you made so far is so detailed that it looks like it might be kind of menacing looking.
Hopefully, it doesn't come alive at night and eat little haole babies.

Will

J

Terrific! I'm glad LS and PDrake asked about the toolz, I was wondering too. We just need to get some pictures of you using those toolz. Most of us haven't had the privilege to see you in action.

JP

wonderful Ben...and Johnny...watching Ben in action is like watching a good wife wash dishes...
no big effort...no big deal...no grimace....just a good guy who really knows what he's doing.
What I found amazing in watching Ben was how effortless he makes it look. Sorry Ben...we
still want pictures.

That is looking awesome. Coconut palm only holds that much detail when its sitting on Benz bench! Now lets see you do this on that pen blank.

H

Benz please don't loose your mind, at least not until you carve #12.....:wink:

B

I've got news for you Hiltiki, My mind was gone a Loong time ago, but I don't miss it very much. I guess the heart and soul take over and the ancient ones, they seem to want to help a lot as long as I let them hold the chisels.. they hate Sharpening them though.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 27, 2006 7:33 PM

Benz,

The Maori looks great! Your stuff always looks fresh and new to me. I love all the character you give to each of these guys. They are all so different - but nicely familiar. Have you planned out a face moko yet? Thank you for sharing with us. Your posts are always a bright spot in my day.

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Fri, Apr 28, 2006 6:13 AM

Awesome job Ben, I like that detail you are getting on that face.

B

Thanks Bete and GMAN, the kind words keep me going.
Here's todays update

..damn, ben......i'm gonna have to sleep with one eye open now!!!

lookin' good...I love watching these things unfold....lookin forward to the next installment...

...wasn't this guy the harpoon thrower in the old "moby dick" movie???

B

Yes, that must be him, old Qwee Qweg(Sp?) his own self..

TG

Dang Ben! He looks alive. Scary, but sweet!

H

Ben everyone in the household loves the progression. We love it.

stop it ben! i'm scared! :) awesome work!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 28, 2006 6:34 PM

WIKKID!!!

Excellent Ben - scary dude! I cant believe the way you pull expressions on the faces - I got to see one your small carvings on HumuHumu - she wore it out to the Tonga Room for dinner with us last week - very nice work and she is very proud to wear it! I regret not being able to meet you in person on my trip - maybe next time.

AAaaaahH-EEeee Benz! Mr. MoJo rising...rising...rising...

Do you lock up your sharp tools before sleeping at night???

Pack-a-Kools Benz, luv'n the workz!!! :o

T

That's one P-Oed lookin' guy! The emotive detail is incredible. What a trademark! Nice work (as usual!)

Haven't been by to see your work as of late, Ben.

Look at you GO!! You rip out carvings like nobody's business, I tell you!

The most recent pics are simply amazing in detail. I'm half waiting for his mouth to start moving then he'd scream at me!

Truly fantastic work, Ben. As usual!!

Hi BEN-
I love this new guy!! His facial expression is really cool!! The difference in the eyes gives him alot of character In my opinion. Sorry I havent posted on your thread in a while - I have been really busy. I think I am going to go back and see what else you have been doing!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 30, 2006 2:10 AM

Awesome facial work as always. A little too good - it freaks me out a little :) But that is just credit to your work

Aloha Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your carving is looking excellent my friend!!!! I love the detail to the eyes and teeth. Super Kool my friend and thanks for sharing with us all. Keep slaying the wood and tell sherry and the girls I said Hi , Aloha for now, your friend jimmy mooney

B
Bete posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 1:53 PM

Looking very cool, the teeth and eyes are very detailed, I see that one eye is more prominent than the other, is that because you used a wood burning technique on one of the eyes so far?

B

TikiG, Hiltiki,Kingstiedye, GMAN, MArcus,Travelling Jones, Tikigap, TikiBoomBoom,Spermy, Hewey Mooney and Bete, Thanks to you all for your kind words and comps. Sorry if this guy is freaking some of you out, hope you don't have nightmares. His eyes are interntionally different sizes for the expression. And Yes I do lock up my sharp toolz at night in the garage,,,,,With the MAori's.
Today I worked on the little squirt. Lot of softness in the body but I can still do the detail. This was a fairly tough body to do but I love how it looks.

TG

Wow. Ben this thing looks soooo good already. I can't wait to see what all else you do to it. You just have the eye that's for sure. You never cease to amaze us!

J

Your last two updates are tremedous. Fantastic.
JP

C

Ben I love the way his right arm just "flows" up to his chest...this one is really going
to be spectacular...and his fingers are great...and he's got a cute little butt...what else
can I say...it's another BenZart.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 5:48 PM

Damn Ben, that kicks butt! He looks so bitchin. And, his butt his so round...he must work out? I just love the layout of this guy. The whole thing is killer. It's really talkin to me. I love the way you did his back and the curve of his arms, the shoulders, his belly, his face....you get the idea. Where is this guy heading? Man, someone is gonna be real happy.

-Gman

Yeah, there is a real good flow in his body. It could be done. But NO, you're gonna put all kinds of wonderful detail on 'em...I can't wait.

Your treatment of the arms is really unique. Is it based on a historical carving, or are you making your own history?

B

Thanks again guyz. This is going to Hiltiki and is supposed to look like this one which is Not my carving
Here is what it is Supposed to look like. This is NOT My carving, just a picture from the 'net.

H

Ben I am happy happy happy. I can also relate to some of the body parts ! :wink: :wink:

B
Bete posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 6:50 AM

Ben, that is so very, very, very cool, your's is right on track with the original one you are trying to follow. It's a very cool piece!

B

Thanks Hilti and Bete, now That makes Me HappyHAppyHAppy.
I took a break from the big stuff and am carving a vanity plate for my new (used) truck. It's Almost done. I was reluctant to post this because I am Not offering them for sale.

That being done, for some reason the hard drive where I HAD all my pictures stored has strangely disappeared from Windows??? I have my fingers crossed

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 5:05 PM

Ack! That doesn't sound good. I hope you get your pics back.

Nice plate. What is it made from?

-G

Nice work, Ben! Glad to see you are carving something for yourself and for your own pleasure. Now, when can I get one? HaHa

With regards to losing your pics, bummer city, I hope you can recover them.
When you are fed up with Windoze, contact me about getting a Mac!

B

Thanx Guyz,, Kapu,Du yu take trades of old windows units with missing Harddrives, ! out of 3 ain't bad. My wife was born in Cincy and we almost moved there .. ..

Dig the Lic plate Ben! That is to COOL!

T

Cool idea Ben! (Virginny makes us have a front plate - so it won't work here!)

How you gonna finish it to protect it from those notoriously harsh Florida winters with all that salt and cinders on the road?

L
Loki posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 4:55 AM

Ben, luv the plate...its so perfect for you. Lots and lots of poly on that one.

B

Thanks again guys. The plate is carved from Mahogany and it will get plenny of Polly, plus I have one of those plastic bubble type plate covers for it so it should be alright.

J

What a cool idea! Hope the dard drive with the pictures comes out OK.
JP

J

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-05-04 08:06 ]

Neat stuff, Ben! Carve some FLA tags in the corners and you'll be all set! Too bad you can't be here at Oasis with us left coasters. I know I will see lots of your pendants at the big event just like last year. Everyone likes to flash the Benzart Bling if they've got it!

A-A

What a great idea. Have you ever tried doing relief carving with some type of synthetic material - like PVC board?

B
Bete posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 3:12 PM

That's a fun looking license plate Ben.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies