Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

Thanks Capt'n Skully, I really went out on a limb with the stain. I really Thought it would look good, but I was afraid it would totally blow it too, so,,I did it Anyway and I'm Glad I did.
Rodeo and Aarons Thanks for your continued support. I'm like the teacher handing out study material. Report due in 5 days. 500 words Minimum and No web-copies.
Thanks Moki, My fear with the Ebony stain was it would show everyerror and mistake, so I was lucky. I still have a few tricks up the old sleeve, but I'm wearing sleevless tee's, so where are all the tricks? Gone.
Thanks TikiG, He was a bit wweak but not bad enough to have to support it. I just figured with him being Auctioned off at Hukilau, I had better make him extra strong just in case. I like it so much that I should do it on all the palm masks. I used Cabots Ebony, oil based stain and I Really liked it. I got it at the local Ace Hardware store. It was nice to find something besides MinWax.
Here are some Side shots I didn't post yet

HE is 54" tall by 16" wide at the top and 8" wide on the bottom by 8" deep on top and 5" deep on the bottom

Another masterpiece. I love the stain. For me it COVERS up my mistakes! I love the chin, I'm gonna have to try that sometime.
And reeking of character as usual!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 7:34 AM

Awesome man! The stain really suits that style. Love the "big Benzart" logo, thw hollow back, the detail, the...

Shit, drooling into my keyboard. Gotta go get a towel! :)

T

I love how the stain makes it look very old. Something that I'm into. Old looking a tiki go together. I usually don't like the little bodies but not too bad on this one. It must be the Benzart touch that made up for it. And that face. Truely one of the best faces ever. If I had the neck to pull it off, that would be a necklace to end all neckl;aces.

Sh#t hot tiki Ben - I like to toy with stain too - it is a scary moment waiting to see how it is going to settle in the digs and scratches - so far I have been pretty lucky not too many cases where I have had to get out the sandpaper and start over. That style of tiki is one of my favs - wish I could get to the Hukilau - must carve more...must sell more....to make it over there.

M

"Big Lono" is Perfection el presidete Ben. How does one get on this "list" that I see references to?

Ben,

Once again, you are the master. Whenever I see your work, it makes me want to drop what I'm doing and break out the chisels. very inspiring!

-Z

K

Flippin' phenomenal. I want one!

B

Thanks Surfintiki, Hewey, teaKEY,and Marcus. This guy comes with a chain but teaKEY's right, you have to have SOME Neck to wear it.
McTIki just ask and you are on the list. The list is not for the BigBenZarts though, only for the smaller carvings.
FeelinZombified, thanks, and you SHOULD be carving anyway. I would love to see your work posted here.
Kahaka, thanks. I haven
t figured out how I will sell these yet. I know they will all be at Hukilau for decorations and for sale there. This one will be in the Hukilau auction.
HUKILAU ROCKS

Benz~what can i say that hasn't already been said. amazing work!

T

The superman of tiki, Big, little... you the shiznet

He sure turned out fine, Ben... and yes, dripping with character and personality!

B

Thanls Palamatiki, Thanatos and sam. I appreciate everyones props. They make me want to carve even more and better

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2005 8:25 AM

On 2005-07-02 06:42, Benzart wrote:
I appreciate everyones props. They make me want to carve even more and better

I don't know if carving better is feasible, but more definitely is!

B

Thanks Hewey, I'll do more.
I said I was going to start on some smaller pieces. Here it it. It is only 4 ft tall. Only just begun

Logs all split and ready to go.

T

See that is what i am talking about. Pics, Benz you should charge us for the schooling!

Looks like you're gonna be busy for a while Ben!

Hey Ben- Ever done a 4 foot shrunken head??? :wink:

MD

Beautiful, cohesive, perfect.......
I gotta check in more, inspiration for life from amazing art and its creators like you Master Ben. Truly amazing.

R

Cant wait to see another masterpiece come to life.

TG

You go Ben.....Lookin'g good once again. How'd ya split those logs? Grab it in the middle and rip it apart? Ha.

G.

Ben, could you post a bird's eye view camera angle next time? I'm trying to learn, I really am.

Keep 'em coming!

nice work ben love it!

SF

Always enjoy see your work in progress. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

F

Very cool Ben, always a pleasure to watch 'em grow! I always want to make a head dress like that, but I always chicken out.

Just the tip of the iceberg and I'm already in awe of this man's newest carving...

B

Thanks everyone for the great props. Thantos, how much should I charge, and should I rate by the picture? Ha I would rather stay popular!
Cheeky, yes I think I Will be busy for more than a while.
Sam no 4' shrunken head ,,,Yet, but maybe soon??? Mr dale, I need more customers like you.
Rodeo, looks like you are gonna have to wait a couple weeks. I just loaned my camera out for 2 weeks. Raffertiki, birds-eye view coming up as soon as I get my camera back. Thanks Marcus and you too SwampFire, nice to hear from you. Finkdaddy, just draw it on and cut it out. Slacks, Aww shucks, thanks too.
Next pictures I post will be this guy all finished. Thanks again to everyone for their support

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2005 1:09 AM

On 2005-07-05 14:52, Benzart wrote:
It is only 4 ft tall.

I wish I could boast 4 feet!

Awesome - can't wait to see it finished

T

I am sure I can fill a "Benzart Weekend carving school".. Cheap hotel rooms, breakfast is ceral, Carving time.. Lunch fried bolagna sandwiches.... Carving time.... Dinnerc chicken... Drinks...
I can fill the class for you.... LOL

B

Hewey, several weeks ago I was saying the same about "Wishing I could boast 4ft tall". All you need is a 4' log.
Thanatos, maybe we can work something out. You guys fill a motel for the weekend and I'll throw in the lessons for free.. Such a Deal.
Man I wish I had my camera back..

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-07-11 15:45 ]

ben(zart) you are very talented as are many TCers!

S

Ben, I'm guilty of breaking the 11th commandment...:Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's palm logs.How do you split them? Wedge and sledge or chain saw? Glad to see you're carving large again. Very cool stuff.

B

Thanks Alohabros, I dig a little handhold and grab the log with my hands and rip it in two. After some swearing and crying from pain, I strike a chalk line and cut the bad boy in half with my chainsaw. I take my time because I want the cut to be Straight not wavy. There yo have it, eazy

B

I wish you all could see this carving #2, It's looking really great, Most all is done but the left leg and foot and overall teasing, cleaning up and adding litle pieces of detail that don't mean much but add so much to the finished piese.About 9 days till I get my camera back. Plus I have Cataract surgery on my right eye in 2 weeks so you might not get to see it for awhile. I'll keep you posted as to how nice it looks.
Yesterday was my 60th birthday so now I can expect things to just start falling apart on me right?. Well I can't wait to post the new pictures.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 9:37 PM

Mate happy birthday!

Yeh we wish we could see your latest carving too :). Good luck on that surgery, can't wait for you to be back into it wielding knives like a madman.

Benz, I'm tempted to overnight you my camera so we can all see it. I guess you'll just have to describe how great it looks and keep us all in suspense. Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, I always wanted to do a TC birthday post! Good luck with the surgery. My Dad just had the same, & it was pretty routine.

Aaron

B

Thanks Hewey, the "Wielding the knives like a madman" statement makes all my fingers quiver in their boots, just what I need.
Aaron thanks, the cat wouldn't stay in the bag. The new tiki is a lot like the last with his own personality that you all will see soon. probably by the time you mailed your camera, mine would be back (hope, hope, hope).
This surgery I am actually looking forward to. I can't wait to see again. After the right eye is done they will set up scheduling for the left eye. I'm blinder than I thought. Don't know how I will handle being able to see.
Thanks everyone.

S

Ben, My mother in law had that cataract surgery on both eyes about 6 weeks or so apart, It went really well and she can see better now than anytime in the last few years.I bet you'll be VERY happy,happy,happy with the results. Good luck !

Good luck on the surgery Ben.
I've got a birthday, and a hernia operation on deck for me too. Lovely getting older. My hernia started the day after I de-barked that birch log!! Oh well, once I get it done I'll be happy, happy, happy again!

B

BigBenZart #2 is Finished and varnished and ready to hang on the wall. Stained with dark mahogany stain with ebony for the hair. He looks pretty good, I think you will like it. The man who has my camera had to fly to Canada where his dad was hospitalized with pneumonia, so he will be late getting the camera back to me.
I have #3 roughed out and will have it close to done by the time I get my %(*# camera. Meanwhile the world is growing dark around me.

Hey Ben- Get that camera back and never, ever let anyone take it ever again! You have us in suspense now! :wink:

Again, that was FAST. Can't wait to check out the pics- If your camera's going to gone awhile, I may have to clear the schedule and make the trip up there to document!

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-26 18:04 ]

B

Sam, don't worry, I don't think it will ever leave me again.
Skully, c'mon up and do yer thang. My camera may be leaving N Carolina early next week, but every time I hear a report it is further down the road a few more days.
My phone is 772-785-9070
My Address is
633 SW Gailbreath Ave
Port Saint lucie, FL 34953
Ben

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jul 28, 2005 7:18 PM

I'm gonna start whining soon...... pictures, please!!! :wink: :wink:

B

Surprise!! My camera came back tonight.
Here are some quick pix of #1 And #2. #2 is the lighter one.

I'll get some better shots tomorrow in the daylight.

S

HOLY SMOKES, Ben !!!! I hate to think what you are going to do when you CAN see. These are freaking awesome.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2005 5:16 PM

YEAH!!! The camera is back.
OMG!!! They are both amazing. How you holding up??

Cheezus those 2 guys are beautiful!! I am going to go ahead and give you an A+ on both of them!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies