Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B
Bete posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 6:29 PM

Cool new piece you are working on Ben (regarding that chocolate maple piece).

B
Bete posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 6:31 PM

P.S. Looks like I was right about the jumper cables bringing those tikis to life, ha, ha!

SsweeetT! "Mokomokai or embalmed head look." GRRRRRR!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

How about "Igor" Feldman and Boobam Ben at the Circle Jerks Show back in '80?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 9:49 AM

Hey Benz, I likee. He already has the tight-skin look. I can't wait to see where you go with this. Always changing it up.......

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 5:13 PM

Hey Benzart, I saw a pic of a whole pile of really cool pendants you'd made, with a moai in the middle. Is there a thread where you documented making these?
EDIT: NM, thanks to GMAN for bumping the thread I'm after. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-06-24 18:00 ]

B

Thanks Paipo, those pic's would be in my Early thread. Unfortunately, all the pic's up tonpage 27 are not loading for some reason. I will have to try to find out why.
Here is the Moai I think you were seeing, from the Old dayz

I hope this helps
Thanks everyone for the funny stuff and Now you are learning too many secrets, I didn't mean to let the cables slip out.
You guyz are nutz

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 6:47 PM

Yeah that was the pic! I'm just over halfway through your old thread, and nearly all the pics are gone. Not to worry, because I've now been looking at your website, and it looks like you've got most of your old stuff on there. I'm loving the detail on your pieces, I hope I can get half as much defnition on my stone.
In the "group" pic above, I really like the full-body Hawaiian guy at the back. any chance of adding me to your list for one of these?

B

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sure that you will be able to do that detail,depending on the stone, very easily. BE glad to have you on my list, but a warning, it is Long and Slow!

Ben,

I love the new pics, but how about adding some detail to the Maori? :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 25, 2006 4:42 PM

Good God! Forty-Thousand and one views of this thread alone! Gads!

B

OK OK OK, Here is another maori update. Most of the carving is finished, just need clean-up, sanding, staining and finish.

I hope the right eye turns out as well as the left, though I Know the Pupil look won't line up.
Thanks to BK for this Abalone shell back at Coon Tiki :) :) :)

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-06-26 17:16 ]

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 26, 2006 5:24 PM

On 2006-06-26 17:09, Benzart wrote:

Thanks to BK for this Abalone shell back at Coon Tiki :) :) :)

Hey Ben (and any other carvers reading this), if you want whole paua shells to cut your own inlays, let me know via a PM and I'll see what I can do, it's pretty easy for me to get hold of.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 26, 2006 5:40 PM

Benz,

Ah Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! You know my address....send him on over!!!

-Gman

Beautiful Ab inlay and moko, ben. This guy is a real show stopper!

by the way...

This little beauty you repostd:

Benzart #14...He's MINE! And I LOVE HIM! Ben is the king!!!!

B

Naw, # 14 is the KING!

H

Ben, I happen to love Abalone shells, I really like the eyes being Abalone. I love how you have carved that great design on the arms and legs in that great pattern. I also like the expression on his face and the curvilinear patterns on it.Ben I hope you know how good you are.

B

Thanks Hiltiki, I'm still learning oh dear one!

How do you do it?! you are too good man TOO GOOD!! it hurts my head to think about what to say about your art. just never quit.

Freakin great stuff Ben!!!

B

Thanks Duddy,
When you see the good stuff from me, I gotta confess that it really isn't my work. I just loan my body out to the ancient Tiki God Masters and when I wake up, I take pictures and get the credit. Some of it I don't even remember. So,, there you have it.
Thanks Spermy I appreciate that.
I have a friend named Doris who does Woodburning, teaches it and sells the tools. I have gotten some wood burning tools from her and she does some Outrageous work. SOme of her work looks like Photographs. Anyway I think I have her talked into putting some tikis on her stuff. She Loves tikis but never worked any and is excited to give it a try. I Did warn her about the first tiki piece and how it hooks you forever and she didn't believe me. We'll see. Anyway look for her on TC Soon. Her TC name will probably be "PyroTiki" MEanwhile you can check out her website Here
The other eye came out pretty good on the Maori and I'll show pix later!

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 3:27 PM

Some nice pieces on your friend's website.

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 3:31 PM

P.S. #11 is looking cool!

B

THanks Bete, I'm Almost ready for the stain and ploy

Here is todays work. Finished the other eye and drilled and pegged toe first eye

Holy crap Ben, those eyes are amazing!! I don't know how you do it.

H

oooooooooooooooooooooooo..................

Once again you amazed me. The shell eyes are the bomb!! I'm not crazy about the wood plug - but thats your call. Either way it looks FANTASTIC!

Holy shit Ben this has got to be the biggest thread on TC. Your the man.

I wear your necklace with pride.

Will you be at Huki this year?

H

The Abalone Stare: I feel like that thing is looking right through me and knows what I'm thinkin' -freaks me out--very effective--and AFFECTIVE. A beautiful and sublimely taboo piece.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 8:45 AM

Very cool!

amazing simply amazing!

T

man ben, you just keep making better tikis all the time!! i think one is awesome and then you come back with something better. simply amazing! you are one of the masters for sure!! now lets see more!! :D

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 8:28 PM

Awesome stuff Ben! Great looking eye :)

BEN..YOU ARE "NUTS."

Nice Ben, no less than perfection!

B

Thanks Duddy
Tiki5-0 you too. I'm about to start more
Hewey, he has his Eye on you too, Thanks.
Thanks Conga, I think the "Nutz' thing is a "Ben" thing, happens to all us Bens
Thanks again Mr Diablo, Appreciate that.
Here is this little tough guy with stain and the first coat of POly.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 11:33 AM

Ben,
He is a killer for sure. Cool lines on him and the finish makes him look rich. And ya cant go wrong with paua shells.

Hope all is well.

Nice ben!
I love his killer gaze.

Well worth the wait...
Buzzy

J

Big Benz #11 is a masterpiece!! This has been a fun one to watch. The "eyes" have it!

JP

H

yessssssssssssssss..........love love love love.....

WoW!

B
Bete posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 12:37 PM

Ben, it turned out fantastic! Great job on that one!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 4:44 PM

Boodiful!

this one is amazing ben now leave the bar where it is so I can at least see it from down here.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-07-01 00:31 ]

Wow 100 pages! Congratulations Ben and thanks so much.Within these hundred pages I have found inspiration, humor, and encountered your ultimate wisdom and seen your immeasurable talent and creativity. It's all been said before, but from me Ben, Damn fine work you do here! Now get to work, we all expect more, and more, and more from you. We are lucky in that most of us cannot outdo your talent ever, and no one expects us to. You, however, have to outdo yourself EVERY time, and we all expect you to do so. It's a huge burden, but your strength continues to grow along with this load. Thanks for trying, succeeding, and sharing with me(and everyone else.) Can't wait to read every word of the next several hundred pages.
Buzzy

the 100 best pages on tiki central! mahalo and congrats, ben!

OL

Another amazing museum-quality piece. Ben, you really have a gift.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies