Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

Those are off to a great start. I see scratch marks from a carbide bit - do you start with a square pice of wood or do you use a saw for the rough shape? Also I have heard some nasty rumprs that rosewood is extremely toxic - is that true?

B

Thanks tikigap, I'm not adding any more to the list until I get it down to a comfortable level, stay tuned.
Alohastation, yes, yes and yes. I start with a square piece of wood, draw the basic outline and profile, cut it out on the bandsaw, use the recip chisel for basic shape then carbide or sanding drum to get the close-to-final shape. Then I use a combination of chisels, burs, knives and sandind impliments to get the final finish. Last comes the Moko and the finish. Simple as that. This Florida rosewood is probably as toxic as any exotix Rosewoods and other species. I use a big dust collector to get Most of the dust and a surgical mask for the rest. Most of the exotics are damaging in some way to the respitory system so one must be careful..
Thanks.

J
john posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 8:12 AM

looking good! as far as the toxic dust-i bet there are some old school guys who don't wear the protection...

KK

Benz!!!
Im jones-ing over here now brah! Im so stoked to see youre busting out da kine for me!!!Im going to cherish da buggah and treat it like the fine work of art that it is!!!Your maori pendants carry such heavy mana Ben, Im going to blessed by owning, wearing & displaying your art...
Da kine goodies I have for you are anxiously awaiting there trip across the continent to live happily with the one and only Benzart!!!
Shootz Ben, seriously I cant wait!!!!

Keep chipping away Bruddah Ben!

Aloha!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 2:03 PM

Master Ben, What do you use for digging out the back of those. I hope I'm still on a list for a Moai or something. Having a Benzart is like having a Picasso.

P

wow...I am simply awestruck by those Maori heads. That #67 blew me away. Extremely well portrayed and extremely beautiful. Can't wait to see your stuff in a museum one day!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 4:22 PM

Benz,

Nice going! Those are going to be choice for sure. I can't wait to see the next update.

-Gman

J

I missed this earlier this week. It's great that you have a completed one next to a rough out. I was checking out the tool marks to see which you used and how you used it. Very informative.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-03-10 19:39 ]

B

Thanks John, you are probably right, I have eaten enough of it over my life to start growing leaves I think.

Kaha, I guess you will be a Jonzing maniac before this guy is done. I have no updates today for my Brother and I'm really sorry for that. What I DO have is a preview of the lessons I'll be giving at the up-coming Carving Seminat in Beautiful Tennessee and Coon Tiki.
I'm about 1/2 way done

I am carving half and the assignment is for the student to carve the other side, which I have all drawn out.
Loki comes to take his Maori chief home tomorrow and I don't think the loghead is going to sleep a bit tonight, and he is very antsy. He thinks I will stay up all night with him,,Right! Loki is a lucky guy!!

TaeKEY, I use the recip chisel then the carbide burs, eazy az zat
JohnnyP thanks, As you can see I use a LOT of tools.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-03-10 19:44 ]

Benz, those are great. Which one is mine??? Can I have dibs? Just jokin', can't hardly wait to hook up with you & the rest of the Coon-Tiki crew in Tennessee. Should be great. But I gotta tell ya, if I hear any of that "dueling banjos" music, I'm high-tailing it back to SoCal!

(you must be 40 at least to get that joke) :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:34 AM

Benz,

Looks like you are going to be providing some very serious teaching materials to your students. I hope everyone has a great time and goes home with a little BenZArt magic in their tool box. I have always admired the fact that you possess so much knowledge and are willing to share it with others. That is truly a rare gift. Thanks for being here.

When are you fellers heading up that-a-way?

-Gman

C

I hope you post the finished products.It seems like you have put in a lot of time and effort and I am sure it will pay out big time for those who attend.Capo

[ Edited by: capotiki 2006-03-14 18:54 ]

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 10:51 PM

when is the arizona class ben?

Those shelf tikis are so cool, Ben. Half-a-Benzart is a rarity! I really like those designs....

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-03-15 17:26 ]

B

Aarons, I'm gonna bring the boombox nd the duelin' banjoscd and play it out in the woods under your window a few times a night and didn't we tell you, that is the featured movie every nite we are there,..

Gman I'm getting ready. You get out as much as you put infor these lessons. If you get a good enough grade, you get to keep the benzart half.

Capotiki, I will get shots of everyones piece no matter how complete or Incomplete.

John, we haven't set up an Arizona class yet, but probably right after the SoCali classes, I may need to do a few to catch up over there.

Thanks Sam, Wish you could be there(we have a cancellation you know??? Mail Swank
I would LOVE to have you working on a 1/2 benzart, then agait, you may show what a poor carver I really am.You can do ittt??
Thanks for the response everyone we may have to do more of these in the near future.
Mahalos to all.

P

heh, i'm actually thinking of a way i can afford a plane ticket.

Pdrake, a few of us are comin' in by canoe, and I gotta tell ya it's a hell of a lot cheaper than airfare. There may be room for one more if yer intristid?

T

C'Mon pdrake!

KK

Aloha bruddah Benz!
Howzit?! Hey so, whats this talk about a carving seminar in socal & arizona? Ill be there with bells on brah, if you tell me when! I wish I could come to TENN and learn some tricks from the true kahuna! I was also thinking about holding my own "Bone carving" class here at my gallery at some point in the future, so maybe you could go over that idea with me and let me know how you mokes set those kine things up...Ive got the space and the urge to teach, just not sure where to go from there...Your advice is always respected and well taken so let me know what you think!

Cant wait, cant wait, cant wait for da kine Ben!!!Your goodies here are getting restless brah! Let me know wassup!

And mahalo for just being you Ben!!! Youre the cool ruler here on TC bruddah!

Malama Pono!

B

PDrake, that would be great if you could make the Seminar. Get in touch with Swank and he will let you know if there IS a space available. Great
Aarons, go man go.
Tikigap, they are all pullin for you pdrake...
Kaha, Lets do it. Swank will help set it up ,,Maybe< guess I should ask first!' Come on to Tennessee the weekend of April first. Two days. Go[url=http://coontiki.hukilau.org/ Here [/url] I would Love to have you there.
Here is a small update on # 69 the other pendant for danlovestiki

T

Fantastic Ben - That guy looks seriously angry. Very nice detail!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:25:50 ]

Yikes! Man, Ben...you're a one man prolificity machine...I'm still coming up with my lesson plans! I feel like a slouch!

B

TikiGap, Thanks. This next group of shots shows the detail better yet. I think this guy is gonna be a good one .Thanks

Poptiki, Thanks so muchfor your nice words. I Know you feel the joy of creating, I have seen your stuff and It is remarkable. Thanks for the comps.

BK, I'm just plugging along trying to take my time. I'm sure you will have a Killer lesson and your 3 hours will Not be long enough
Tomorrow I will have updates on the Black Walnut Maori and some of the carving lessons.
Everyone keep up the great work

Beautiful as usual Ben!

You guys are killing me with all this talk of Coon Tiki :(
I wish I could have made it happen.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-03-20 21:41 ]

P

i'm searching for a way to make the plane tickets happen. i spent all my money on tools.

doesn't look good, but i'm expecting some video to put together to post for the TC ohana.

my canoe paddle is broke.

at least there's a big hawaiian festival that weekend that i can go to if i'm stuck in vegas.

ben, i really want to learn how you do all the small stuff. i can't seem to fold up the sand paper that small. :D

you're an awsome inspiration. keep up the good work.

Aloha Ben!!!!!!!!!!
The Maori pendants look Incredable my friend !!! Sorry about giving you that darn Rosewood that eats carving tools. I hope your feeling well by the looks of those Killer carvings you hopefully are doing good. Some one is very lucky to get those sweet carvings as always a Big Mahalo for sharing with us an helping us all, Aloha your friend, Mooney

B

Thanks Surfer.

Good Luck PDrake, you can find the moola somewhere!

Thanks Mooney, you'll get yours..
Here is the face getting ready for the glass eyes

That's just insane Benz!
Almost lifelike, especially the shot of the lips.

Ben I am again in Awe of your amazing craftsmanship!!! That bugger is coming to life and it looks freakin awesome. I haven't posted on your thread in a while because I always just say the same things, but believe me I have been right here Drooling all over my keyboard!!! Your art just keeps looking unbelievable!! If for any reason one of your pendants become available please keep me in mind cause I want it!!! Thanks for posting!!!
Later,
Spermy

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 7:22 PM

Benz,

Aloha! Very sweet! I love they way you make these guys snarl. So, do you sit and make faces in the mirror and then figure out how to carve them? Your new Maori heads are so life-like. You are really pushing these little guys to the edge. Putting the eyes in from the back is really over the top! Have fun and carve safe.

Thanks again for shaping that shell for me. They look beautiful!!!

-Gman

B

Thanks for all your replies and comps and props and drool and all that good stuff.
Here is the next step. I have the eye holes drilled out and enlarged and smoothed to accept a larger clear glass marble. I did thei one a bit different and still have more to do to get the effect that I Want.

those are truly amazing ben! :o

My gosh Ben! I don't even know what words to use. Those are the most life like carvings I think I have ever seen! I just keep staring at the photos. Truly masterful!
I always enjoy seeing what you're up to, and find your encouragement to the rest of us inspiring.

M

Uhhhhh.....Ben..... These are wickedly off the chart. You can almost see the peach fuzz of their tribal faces. Awesome works sir.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Mar 21, 2006 7:42 AM

Ben, they look great. What did you use to get the eye sockets so smooth and round from the inside?

For those of you who have not had the pleasure to hold one of these let me try and explain what its like. They are ultra, ultra light weight. I dont know how in the world Ben hollows them out like he does, but there cant be more than an 1/8 thickness in some spots. After they are buffed out, they almost feel like plastic. The pics dont even come close to what they really look like. He must have the steadiest hands out there and more patience than all of us combined. Great job capturing the moment in his face Ben. You da man.

J

Unbelievable, well not really, considering you created them!
JP

Those are tops, Ben...that's some nice, tight wood, too. I love black walnut.

S

Man, those are so life-like it's creepy!

B
Bete posted on Tue, Mar 21, 2006 3:49 PM

Ben, looks very cool, I like the facial expression on the new one, very lifelike.

B

KIngstiedye, Thanks much..

Thanks for the props Exotica59, you can visit Anytime!!

McTiki, I thought I did a better job of shaving than that. Thanks.

Loki, After using a rough Carbide bit, I shaped a brown stone to be a bit bigger than the glass. Thanks for the extra props, no, YOU da Man..

JohnnyP, thanks to you too.

BK, thanks for the comps. Yes I love carving Black Walnut. Cherry is tighter grain for detail though.

Swank, this one is starting to weird Me out I think, Thanks.

Bette, thanks, I appreciate your good words.

Here is todays update. Playing with the eyes and a bit of Moko/.

S

F*&^k, that's awesome! Man. Your carvings are king. Those not in Tennessee in a couple of weeks will hold their chisels limply compared to the real men who attend Coon Tiki...

I can't wait.

Amazing Ben! I don't even know what to say. There is so much movement in your work, and the attention to detail is unparalleled.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 4:24 AM

Wow man - love the snarl in the lips and the half wrap tatts - very nice indeed - very realistic :)

B

Thanks guys. When these pieces get to the point they are looking kind of realistic thenthey can start looking corny. I don't really want to do "Taxidermy" carving, but I Am looking for a fairly real representation of the Maori chief. It is hard Not to copy their Moko and to just make it upm as you go while only using the real thing for a guideline. As I have stated before, the Maori people are Very sensitive to the Duplication of any ancient or present persons Moko and they look upon it as Stealing. So, Should any of youwish to carve any Maori faces in the future, it is important that you resist the urge to Copy that beautiful Moko you found or saw.

T

The eyes have it. Very nice work again, Ben.

On 2006-03-21 20:44, Swanky wrote:
F*&^k, that's awesome! Man. Your carvings are king. Those not in Tennessee in a couple of weeks will hold their chisels limply compared to the real men who attend Coon Tiki...

I can't wait.

And as far a coon-tiki goes, I'm twitchin' and jerkin' again. I can't wait EITHER.

those carvings of yours, Ben, are truly jaw dropping. I still don't understand how someone could be that talented. I love it.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 3:04 PM

DAAAAAAAAANNNGGGGG!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies