Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

Hewey, it's Easy. When I start a piee I don't sa y "I started my newest Maori today" I say "I started Tipsy's maori today,, damn hes gonna look neat!" So from the beginningnhe is never "MINE" but still deep down inside, he really IS MINE and I send a little piece of me with him when he goes. You move on you deal with it. It's fact and reality.Thanks
Yeah Tipsy, the money helps but being able to dig another one right up aou of the well helps too. It is easier knowing there is a well full of them and All I have to do is dig right in and get another one. Right On Tipsy, Right on.
Dreamer, thanks, thats why I had to get HIM out of that well before he killt anyone
Marcus Thanks again, I see you really Are Hooked,, gotcha!
Silverline. I tried to carve life into his pupils, but I'll settle for reflections Thanks
Thanks again to everyone. Tipsy I need your address soI can get shipping quotes,.

On 2006-06-05 19:24, Benzart wrote:

To The Other Ben here, I say a Big Mahalo, you know just the right words to say to Light my fire, you make the daddy proud. As long as I'm not near as insane as you are, then I'll be great, however, I think we are both booked on the same flight to where ever it is they go. Really, thanks for stopping and speaking yer mind. Aaarrr!!

Daddy?

Glad to know I "light your fire!"

Arrr!!

I Do Think, You are WAY More Insane! But, I'll fly with you anywhere!! Master!!

Hope all is well in your Hale :)

p.s. I stop here ( carving) all the time but there is So much Go here it blows my mind! I still need to send you that package. Maybe this week. Doh!!

Keep it up you carvin' fool! Keep it up!!!

Nice job, Ben...looks great!

F
foamy posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 5:48 AM

Wow Ben. You just keep evolving and getting better and better. I particularly like the sort of "animated" aspect of this last one.

B

To the (Ir)RevrendBambooBennzo, Thanks again, I agree about so much goin on here, this is a wild'n crazy place nowadays. I Might be more insane, but you were on the train first..Arrrr
BK, my young Mentor, thanks, I appreciate your kind words.
Foamy. thank you too. You seem to always know what to say.
This past week has been a Hell house week. I pressure cleaned the house Wednesday and haven't been able to walk until today. I will ship # 12 out to Chicago today. He will be hard to let go of, no matter how much I try to keep these carvings at arms length, they Always seem reluctant to get into the box to be shipped out. I will also work o n # 11 today and maybe even clean the garage a bit. for some reason it looks like we had a hurricane in there already, I think his name was Ben, not sure.

Aloha Ben!!!!!!!!
Your carving looks Aweasome my friend!!!! what time i have i check in to see the latest and you keep blowing me away with your creativity. Your truly a master carver and all inall a really great person, thanks for sharing,teaching and giving so much of yourself to help others become better carvers,Mahalo my friend and Aloha, your friend , jimmy mooney

BEN!! That last one looks like he is just about to kick someones ass. I WOULD NOT want to cross him! He looks so alive. I love how you take such an unreal subject as tiki and make it completely real and believable. I keep thinking, "ok, he can't possible top this one", and then I'll be damned if you don't do it everytime!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 8:52 PM

Benz,

Any new work on the "little" Maori? Is he behaving?

-Gman

Cool! Love that Kotiate!

B

Hey Jimmy, Glad you likes him, I do these guyz just to get reactionz from youze Thanks,
Finky too I am glad youlikes my stuff, of course this guy did kick MY Butt before he left for Chicago, but I fixed him, I poured glue in his crotch and he's gonna Really be pissed when he tears open that box I shipped him in Tipsy, Watch out!
Hey GMAN Thanks. Yes the Little MAori is moving along. I filled the open hole in the top of his head and put a top knot there in place of the hole. I fixed his broken arm(in 2 places) and you can barely see it and I haven't stained him yet. Also filled the hole in the base. This log like many coconuts awas hollow in the center and dried with an opening going from one end to another and I have spent the last few days patching and correcting those flaws..........I'm ready to get back to carving now.Thanks.
BK Thanks, the Kotiate was a fun addition and I didn't want to leave it the same color as the guy. thanks for the good words.

H

Ben as always you are the best. Hope you will have fun carving # 11.

B

Thanks big time Hiltiki and thanks for your patience too. I have some updates here and I am leaving for tampa for the weekend, Sherry's boss is offering (MAndating) all expence pait trip to Tampa to watch him (in a black tie affair)receive the mostinflueential award in the state growers accociation. It sounds like fun but they have us very busy. I Have found a few hours to spend with GMAN on Saturday Morning so if anyone wishes to join, chime in now.
BAck to the little Big Maori, I fixed his broken arm, filled his holy base and plugged the giant hole ijn his head with a top knot. I am very happy with the repairs. They come from the Coconut ppalm being stringy and soft in the middle. I have it under control now though. The topknot was not in the original pictures Hiltiki, so if you want to opt out on this one and get the next one, I will understant, it's totally up to you here are pic's.

J

I was wondering how this guy was going. You did a nice a job on the repairs. Are you going to burn the detail in again? Have fun in Tampa. I'll be there this weekend also, but only late Sunday night.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 8:08 PM

Benz,

The orthopedic and cosmetic surgery looks great! This guy is so kool.

P

interesting.

H

Happy happy happy! :)

B
Bete posted on Fri, Jun 16, 2006 5:55 AM

It's going to look totally kewl, I can tell already!

CA

"holy" tiki carvers! Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like The Greeks..... this guy Ben could become a real god some day... or is he already

Like the Pope... Put him up for Saint-hood..... let's petition the Tiki Vatican!!!!

as always good work to be found on these pages.... nice!

B

Hey Johnny P, thanks for the props, yes I will do some burning on this guy, but I need to carve some of the moko in so this will be a combination of both toolz!

PDrake, thanks, I'm hoping he stays that way.

Hiltiki, thanks and I'm hoping YOU stay That way.

Bete, and How can you tell, are you a fortune teller:), thanks

C'Al, now That wouls go and spoil everything, We ALREADY have One Rev Ben and I don't think anyone is ready for another. How 'bout I'll be chief match maker. Anyway thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words.

Just got back from Tampa/St Pete where I had a great time with SHerry and also visited with the GMAN. His home is like a Museum and Full of Awesome artwork, Most created by himself. HAppyHappyHAppy

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 18, 2006 7:21 PM

Ben,

I can't wait to see how you use the liner and the burner together. This is gonna be great. I'm looking forward to your next post.

-Gman

WOW, this new one is amazing, ben, I can't wait to see the moko on this one. THis is going to Hiltiki? she SCORED!

PS - I love the shot of the tiki butt. That's one fine tushy on this guy, ben!

Goodness, Ben!

I don't post for awhile and look what I miss! Truly amazing as always. This latest carving reminds me of a smaller one I picked up at OA a couple weeks ago. Lotsa fanny going' on!

Gonna have to keep my eye on this one all the way to completion! Too bad it's spoken for already!

Great stuff, Ben!!

B

Thanks GMAN, here are a bit of both tools working together. The burning is raw and not sanded yet, same for the carving.

Thanks Poly, I appreciate your stopping by with cool words. Yes he really has an exagurated butt, but I think he will get by and be happy. Yes Hiltiki is the lucky winner of this guy :)

Thanks TikiTikiBoom, see what you miss? I'm glad you like this guy and glad you decided to stop by. Thanks for the comps and nice words...

Here is the latest update. When this guy is done I am starting a new thread, this one is too big, sorry.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-06-17 03:11 ]

Nice job, excellent Niho-Taniwah notching. That technique is hard to pull off in even fashion. Well done, Ben.

I'm always shocked at the detail you get in your work. Once again, you've raised the bar. Can it be raised any further? Somehow I believe you will. :wink:

whatever BK said...i agree. talk about taking it up a notch!

H

My heart is full of love for this tiki.......:D

Aloooooooooha Benzo!!!

You are mad!!

In my never ending task of finding stuff in your studio.....

.... can you post a pic of you in the hat!!? While carving??

Your box is still sitting in front of me. Who loves you daddy!!??

arrrrrr?!

B

Thanks BK, that is a nice comp coming from you, the true Master! Thanks big time.

Finky, Thanks,, I always was a shocking kind of guy. I Have to keep raising the bar to keep up with you guys, especially that Conga guy.

Oh Hi Conga, Thanks, I appreciate your kind words.

Hiltiki, I think you really only love his tush! He Only has eyes for you! Thank you!

Ah the Other Ben, Mad? Yes mad as a hatter if thay get mad, do they? Crazy? Only as crazy as you might be some day. Picture of me with that Hat? I Know it is in the garage somewhere, just buried under tools, wood, sandpaper, paint, junk and all sorts of stuff. For you I will dig it out and get a pic of the hat being worked under or something. Thanks my Bad, Mad Brother. Your box is sitting in front of the wrong Ben :)

Wow!

B

Thanks Buzzy,

Here you go Other Ben, these pictures are for you. I wouldn't do them for anyone else.. Who's yer Daddy?

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 10:18 AM

Ben,
You been holding out on us with the hedge clippers. Now i know how you do some of that magic. :wink:

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 10:48 AM

That "notching" technique that you are using is so very, very cool. I guess I could tell the future, as it's looking awesome. The wood burned enhanced scroll work on the face is excellent.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 1:54 PM

Benz,

I laughed so hard at those pics I almost sh*$ myself! Nice job!

-Gman

:lol: I think we need a pictorial of how you use those jumper cables!

B

Sorry Finky, them's Trade Secrets for some experiments I'm workin on. I Can't tell you how I use All my toolz..
Loki,Thanks, you'll just have to catch a glimpse now and then and figger it out for yerself.
Thanks Bete, that Notching technique is something you won't see from me too often as it is very difficult and time consuming.

H

ok my understanding is that the hat is included in this deal.....yes???no???!

B

No Hat included in the deal. The deal was Me wearing the hat. LOL funny funny. Thats my only hat.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 8:58 PM

Very kool Benz - once again you manage to make the rest of us mortals look like hacs... :)

Love that detail work

T

I like this hat on Ben...

Coon Tiki Hat (Photo Courtesty of Silverline)

:wink:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-06-21 09:38 ]

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jun 21, 2006 10:37 AM

Oh, I have three questions for you:

1. Does the hedge trimmer allow you to get that great artistic detail on your tikis?
  2. Does the hat help prevent the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays from harming the tiki?
  3. Do the jumper cables bring the tiki to life?
CA

no wounder this post has 96 pages!!!!!!!!!!!

it's better then Oprah!

We want the Benzzzzzzzzz SHooooooooooooooooooooW!!!
entertaining and educating!

B

Hewey and TGap, Thanks for the props, you're my kind o' guyz
Bete, Yes, Yes and Yes, thought you'd never ask..
Thanks AL, It doesn't take long to fill a bunch of pages , Knee deep in you know what. A Benz Show,? I'd have be Crazy to do that! Hey Wait, I AM ! Thanks Al, I needed to see that, say that, feel that.
What can I say but HappyHappyHappy

B

Had to give the big guy muscles a rest so I worked on a Little guy that I had started some time ago. He is from Chocolate Maple, which may be a made up name by the supplier, but it is Nice wood and with a finish on it it Does look chocolaty.
I am going for the Mokomokai or embalmed head look.

And here is a baby Cardinal nesting in a big bush just outside our guest bedroom window. It has one healthy chick growing in it.

P

that's beautiful. is that one mine?

:D

B

Not sure PDR, I need to look on my list and see who's next for a pendant. I will be having a few more come out fairly soon. Thanks.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 7:40 PM

Another nice pendant. Gotta love your intrepretation of taking a break :)

H

You ARE a madman! Frankentiki! HE'S ALIVE!!!

Kidding aside-fantastic work, as always! (I couldn't resist the photoshopped pic)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies