Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 6:29 PM

Ben,

Dang! Looks like you HAVE been busy. This one looks great already! I can't wait to see him transition into his final shape. Will you tatoo this one also? How long does it usually take you to rough one of these guys out of palm? Also, why do you hollow out the back? Is it to reduce weight or does that limit cracking? The more I work the more I realize I have a crack problem!!! They used to not bother me....now they drive me nutz.

-Gman

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 7:28 PM

splended...great work as always benzzzz...

B

Here are the updates for today:

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 8:08 PM

Ben - that is great! The teeth are amazing. It is ALL amazing.

M
Moki posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 8:08 PM

DAMN!!!

Am i doing something wrong? How do you do these so FAST!

Simply Amazing Ben.

Increbible work Ben!! I don't know what to say but incredible.
Wes

Ben, as always - and I know you know what I'm gonna say before reading my post - but these are masterpieces. I really dig your Maori pieces. I admire #5 and #17 everytime I walk into my office... These big guys take the cake!

B

Thanks everyone for your comps and reply's.
GMAN, yes this maori will have a Moko, or I guess the Moko will have a Maori. These big guys have been taking about 8 or 9 days which is a lot for me. I am able to usually work on them every day for about 3 to 4 hours or more. I hollow out the back fot the 2 reasons you mention, weight reduction and moisture elimenation . It helps to dry the wood out further reducing the weight. This one so far weighs about 40 lbs.
KIrby, thanks,
Moki, Sounded like you smashed your finger or something. Thanks for the Sweet "Damn".
Timecula,It must be something you are Not doing. I work on these Every day, so it SEEMS like it si getting done fast. Thanks
Moondance, thanks for the incredible comps.
Sam Gambino, the Master Artiste, coming from you that is a great compliment. Yes these big guys take the cake and what ever else they want. Give it up to them or you are in trouble. Thanks for supporting my work from Way back when I could barely carve.

My website is finally updated, Not vomplete yet but much better and more pictures are on the way. the new site is:
http://www.benzartstuff.com
Big maholas to Swanky

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 4:50 PM

Ben,

Great website. It's nice to have one stop browsing to get my tiki fix. Thanks for sharing.

-Gman

Wow Ben, he's going to look so great when he's done! Your eyes always look so real, and the teeth...! Love the website update too.

B

Here is the latest update. Carving the Moko is all that is left except the finish

T

those spots give him so much life. Like little pores in the skin.

Ben, this one is going to scare the children. Nice!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 15, 2005 7:35 PM

:) :) :) !!!!!

Ben- You are the man!!
Dumb question: #1)Do you carve out the back to lighten them up or does it relieve the stress in the wood?
just wondering!
Wesley

I just returned this afternoon from a visit with Benz to watch him work and glean some of his carving wisdom. let me tell you, ohana, as good as those photos are of the big Maori, there's nothing like seeing them in person... when i first saw #4, i could have sworn he was breathing!

but even more impressive and memorable was the magnitude of Ben's spirit, generosity and hospitality.

Thanks Ben, for sharing your home, your time, talent and for the design tips on my Moai. I truly appreciate it!

B

TeaKEY, thanks for the com

Raffer, I think it will scare more than just the kidz, thanks,

G-MAN, thanks

Moondance, thanks, I hollow out the back mostly to lose weight for shipping. It Does help it dry out quicker and lowers the possibility of cracking.

Palama Tiki, Thanks so much for the kind words. Thanks for the gifts you brought also.

Palama Tiki visited me today and kept me company while I finished the carving on the latest Maori. We had a great time. Benside the great bottle of rum, PT brought several blocks of the ACC stuff for me to carve and play with. I can't wait. Thanks again big time.
Anyway here a few pix of the big guy. I'll get some better ones tomorrow in the daylite.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 16, 2005 8:06 PM

Ben,

That is wicked! He looks like he is alive, like you expect to see him blink or take a step. Wild stuff! I can't imagine it can get much better than that....however I am willing to watch you try!

-Gman

You're nuts, Ben. I like that. :)

I am sure Big Benz #4 has full dental coverage! Seriously, that is one very creepy Tiki! Outstanding!:tiki:

Man Ben - Those choppers are something else - Think you'd like to do a little dental fabricating on the side?? :wink:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-16 22:19 ]

Ben he gives me the willies!

Seriously creepy, Benz, but I love him. Now we need to see him all stained up, which usually makes for a completely different look with the moko & all. Can't wait to see what voodoo happens.

On 2005-09-16 22:16, Sam Gambino wrote:
Man Ben - Those choppers are something else - Think you'd like to do a little dental fabricating on the side?? :wink:

Actually, they are a pretty authentic rendition of what the Maori mokomai (dried ancestor heads) mouths look like, sort of skull teeth in a human face, compare BOT page 178.

I believe that this is where the typical teeth in Polynesian Pop Tikis hail from, compare BOT P. 186, and the Traders menu BOT p. 90

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 17, 2005 5:17 AM

Whoa - freaky teeth. Awesome detail man. The tats are so perfect. Damn. And you dont draw em out first, unbelievable, un-freaking-believable!

I was showing my meighbour something and she saw your signature. She thought "It looks like someone had a pole stuck up their ass and then got put out over a fire..." I think she meant that in a good way :) haha

B

Thanks G-MAN, This guy actually did used to walk around for sure. He is re-incarnated from some ancient wood carving and he actually helped me create this image. I could never create a carving like this on my own, so I Had to have help from somewhere.

BK, YES I AM Crazy, I've known it for some time now and I guess it's starting to show. I'm only a little bit crazy though, not Full fledged wacked like Some around here. Thanks

Blacksandz, Welcome to Tiki Central, yes we have sand oozing between our toes and other parts too. YEs he has coverage. If he breaks a tooth or gets some decay, I'll just carve a new one and he's off to the Luau. YEs he is a bit Creeepy ..Thanks.

Sam Thanks again, but I don't think the Peeps would want me carving their teeth after looking at these broken, mis-shapen choppers now do you? Of course if you're willing,,,?

CongaTiki, thanks, you are Supposed to get the willies And have nightmares.

Aarons , Thanks, I will probably get him all stained up today and post pix tonight, so you'll just have to wait,sorry

BigBroTiki, thanks, my goal was to make him look part human and part Ancestral Maori CHief without stealing anyones original moko. As you know the Maories are very sensitive about anyone copying any actual moko and they get pretty uptight about it.. I Do want it to look like the real thing though, so thanks again.

Hewey, Thanks man. I DO draw them out though. That is the only way I can make the pattern fllow from one part of the face into the next, and then on to the next, and then duplicate it on the other side of the face so that it looks the same there. If you look closely, you will find the patters are connected through out all areas of the face. You can probably find where I start, but that is connected to where I end so that I could start anywhere I guess.
That thing about the pole and the fire sounds pretty scary to me, even if it was a compliment. Thanks Hewey and everyone else. Your comments keep the chips flying.

HK

Ben -- What can I say that hasn't already be said? You are truly inspring! Not only are your chops incredible, but you're also quite prolific. I can't wait to see some of your work in person at Hukilau!

not long now....

Josh

B

Thanks Haole Kat, See you at Hukilau.
Here is the latest update with stain and 1 coat of sanding sealer. The stain is a Minwax Water based Rosewood color.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-18 13:19 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 1:19 PM

Gads! That is frightening!!! He looks great! I can't wait to see him with varnish. I can't wait to see him in Lauderdale... I love how you kept his teeth and eyelids lighter than the rest of the carving. Man is he spooky.

A few of the pics didn't load? I feel cheated!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-18 13:20 ]

Wow! I think the dark stain makes him look somehow more benevolent. The tats are too cool.

Looks great Ben, Love the Tattooing!

M

Wiping tears of envy and awe.....Again. Are these going to be available to see @ Hukilau sir? My Wahine thinks me crazy, but, I have to touch one. Just once.

Mahalo sir

McTiki

Mucho Propos!!!

Absolutely amazing! I find myself looking at the tiny details, trying to learn, then looking at the big picture for inspiration, and that's when I realized Ben that the real big picture is that this Maori will be impressing people long after we are all long gone. You are creating quite a legacy. I feel priviledged to be able to watch the creation of some of it.

So very, very impressive Ben.
Can't wait to see it in person!

Wow, that is truely amazing Ben. Glad to see you feeling well enough to keep hammering these guys out.

Ben that guy kicks Ass!!! Holy Sh@%* you don't mess around at all!!!

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 6:21 PM

awsome as always.clap clap clap...

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-19 04:21 ]

B

Thanks GMan, I appreciate the comps. Therewere no more pictures. I usually paste a bunch of the {img thingys up in a block and delete the unneeded ones. I cicked submit too soon,,Sorrryyy. The day Before I stained him, I shellacked his teeth and the whites of his eyes so the stain would not take there and it worked. OORRR Did it just HAPPEN on its Own because the Maori wanted whit eyes and teeth??Could have been, you know he helped me get him just right,here and there!!
I felt you would believe the shellac story quicker.
Raffertiki tht was his thinking too and the tats were mostly his design. I Had to add some of my own cuz like I told him, 'its MY Carving'. Thanq for the props
Tikimecula,Thanks,The Tatsare some of my favorite too...
McTIki, Yes you will se #1, #3, #4, #5, and #6 and whatever others I will bring. I will have kleenex handy for your tears. Yes you will be able to touch them all.. Mucho thanks for the mucho propos. But alas if you touch them MORE than ONCE, I'll have to break all your fingers and maybe an arm or 2. So please keep the touching to just once sir. Thank you.
Kahakai Kane,,what if I told you I could teach you how to get that fine detail and teach you how to create thet fine legacy and you could be helping to create this legacy and that TikiDiablo and BK could also help teach and show you how and you could see how it was made.
LakeSurfer,, Yes you will be able to se these in personas long as you don't try to touch them more than onceor I may need to confinscate your arm.
RodeoTiki, thanks for the comps, I am actually able to to these Big guys better right now due to my eye surgery. I can't see the small stuff as well right now and until I get the other eye done it will be the same way,
You need to get that Life handle thingy thet broke Fixed since it does you no good when it is broke. See Susan, she had 1 fixed one time.

It sounds like we are all going to have a LOAD of fun with this thing..Make it happen

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-18 19:10 ]

Sweet, Benz, very sweet!

Holy Shit! You've gotta stop, Ben...you're gonna make us all look like chumps! Now, THAT's the way it's done, braddah. That's hotter than a Colt at Gettysburg...

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 7:12 AM

Wow man. It looks really freaky with that stain. That thing would freak me out if i put it in my garden. It looks like a "genuine" tiki too. Hell, you could put that thing in a museum andI wouldnt question it.

Ben-
I Bow down to you! I told Annie we must refinance so we can purchase one of your awesome Maori carvings. The paperwork arrives this week!!
Thank you again for sharing your fine work with us all.
Incredible!
Wesley

Ben- He looks TOO real. Did this guy bite back? This is beautiful work!

WOW BEN! #4 turned out superb!!! I can't believe all the detail you held in palm! So much character-- He's tight!!

B

Thanks Palama, I guess he does look a bit different than the last time you saw him in the flesh?

BK, OK, when this one is done I'll stop. I didn't want to carve any more anyway! And I just thought it was the weather that was making my garage so hot. Thanq

Hewey, thanks, I'm sure the museum curator would beg to differ with you but thanq anyway.

Moondance, while you are down there, shine my shoes, it's getting kind of deep around here. you should be able to get enough for 2 or 3 by financing your house, go for it. Thanks and you are welcome.

Sam, thanq 2. This guy didn't bite at all and actually was very good natured. Not nearly as badass as he looks. Of course I guess he was happy just to finally get out of that palm. No telling how long he's been trapped in there.

Capt'n Skully Thanks, I would never have been able to do the Moko without the recip carver. That tool is purely magik with the v-liner

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 5:49 PM

Next one please! ( :) )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies