Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

Ben-
This guy looks so freakin cool. You just totally amaze me!! It is nice to see you back in action!!! Thanks for sharing pic's. I can't wait to see more!!

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 2:13 PM

I gotta quit drinkin tardwater. Thats awesome talent Ben. (wipes tears from cheek)

T

WOW ben.....this guy just keeps getting better and better looking!! i can't wait to see him finished!! keep the pics coming!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 3:08 PM

Alright!! Enough is enough!!! You are cut off. No more carving for at least 2 weeks or until I figure out how you did that. That's not fair!! Man, but it is too cool. Talk about having some bling bling....this guy's headdress alone is gonna cost a grand!

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 3:30 PM

Benzart, you do great work, and the tiki on the previous page is just amazing. I'm checking out your website, very cool!

J

Thats so good it makes my hair curl!
JP

Ono Lono. Mega Ono. How is "carving in the round" on palm? That's a tough technique.

8T

Your pictures are more fun to look at than my best vacation shots! I love the headdress curls. It reminded me of a 60's photo of my sister-in-law with a bee hive hairdoo! COOL

B

8Ft Tiki, I think you need to spice up your vacations and take better pictures if your vacation shots don't look better than this guy thanks for the comps

BK, In The Round isn't bad on this Coconut palm. It si cured enough to be hard enough to hold some incredible detail and I'm just trying to Stretch the detail I can put on him, This log is really great to carve, does just what you tell it to do, It's firm and crisp and smels like a fresh coconut husk . Thanks for the comps.

JohnnyP are you tellin us you just got a Perm? It's OK to have curly hair if thats what you want, but tryin'to blame it on my tiki???:) :) :) :wink: Now I COuld curl yer hair!Thanks big time.

Bete Thanks and Big Welcome to our little corner of the world. One of these days I will get my website fixed so I can update it easily enough . Right now you have to know how to design a program in some foreign language and say their alphibet upside downand backwards all while carving a tiki left handed, just to updatethe thing. On day I will get it updated. Thanks again

OK GMAN, I'll take 2 weeks off so you can catch up, but it won't take that long. On the second note, you are Hired to be the sales Mgr. I love your $1000 headdress. Al sales are final and must go through. Big BlingBling INDEED, Bring on the green.

Tiki50, have you been drinkin' Mai Tai's tonight?? That might explain your vision disturbances here. Sober up, come down off that cloud99 and step down into the real world.
Really, Thanks for the props and ok I'll keep the pix coming..

McTiki, Yeah, that tard water isn't too good for you I hear so at Least Cut down a tree and we'll carve a tiki out of it. Thanks for the comps.

Spermy, Thanks Big time. You make me blush. I'll do my best to keep posting the pic's. Of Course he's Cool man it's WInter time over here. It got down to 56 this morning and only went up to 72. I'm gonna have to save the sawdust for him and make a sweater to keep him warm. He told me today to hurry up as he Hates this COLD Weather.

Ona, Ona, Ona, What can I Say. I am learning and hope to be a Real master one day. Right now I have to stop and figure the body out every time and take it a step at a time until it looks right. Someday..Meanwhile YOU my friend are Well on the way to becoming a Master yer own self.. I can see that not far down the road for you..Thanks for the comps..

JT the DIgger,
Any tiki can be more difficult than an animal IF you Take it ti the Bling bling tiki place. You know where that it since you have been slipping out some pretty Fancy tikis kind of quiet here recently. When you start to finish a tiki and just keep goin deeper and deeper with the detail and the features. All of a sudden you reach a point of no return where you have to change your whole plan and it becomes the next tier of a more complicated tiki. Thanks for the props and Come visit some time, I'll fix you up with some wood.

Come on DOWN Rodeo, I'll Share whatever I'm having and we can both get smart together. I was wondering why I didn't need lights when I was getting carried away. Actually when they carried me away, they wrapped me in this wierd white robe of some kind but it didn't fit too well and I could hardly move until I broke out of it. don't tell anyone, I think they are still angry.

Loki, I see where you guys are trying to confuse me with those quotes and stuff hoping I'll spill the beans and tell you all my secrets. OK, My secret is I don't have any secrets.
Thanks Loki, you know how to make an old man happy. I appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

Everyone else who have supported me and my work, thanks big time
HappyHappyHappy

Big Benz, did you always carve free-form like that? Or does that just happen after you've carved like 500 tikis or so? It's heartening to hear you say you still have to think each body through and work carefully as you go. But really - you've said on more than one occasion that you just can't draw. I still have to draw everything out and plan like crazy to get it right. So how did you go about it when you first got started? Inquiring minds want to know! (Long version please!) :)

Mahalo,

Aaron

B

Here is the little I did today. Just started the other side and defined the first side a bit.

Aaron, I have never been much of a drawer as you know and from the beginning I had to Carve as I go and figure it out as I went. I always hated doing the same thing over and over so I just experiment as I go. You never know how something is gonna turn out. So from the beginning I guess I did "Free form" carving most all the time. Try it sometime, you might like it, But you may just freak out, I don't know.
Thanks again everyone for your response to this piece.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 4:45 PM

Awesome!

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 12:29 AM

I am amazed at your work Ben. I'm new to posting but have been checking out TC for a few months now. Thnaks to you and the other carvers for your tips and encouragement. I'll post some of my carvings within the next few days. Nothing like the stuff you do but I have fun doing it.

B

Thanks GMAN

Alldo, thank you too and WELCOME to Tiki Central. Thanks for finally taking the plunge and joining our ranks. I can't wait to see your carvings. As long as you are enjoying carving and having fun, thats all that matters in your carvings. Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-01-06 12:00 ]

Aloha ben!!!!!!
The LONO is looking Great and the Headress is KILLER my friend!!!!
Thanks for always pushing the envelope and inspiring and sharing with us.Your humbleness and openness to share with others so we may benifit and become better.I thank you from me and im sure many others as well.I know those who will be able to share and learn even more who go to the carving seminar... Mahalo your friend , Mooney

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 5:27 AM

Ben,

You're holding out on us man, I'm getting the shakes!

B

Thanks guys for all the props. GMAN, I'm Not holding out on you I Promise. I didn't do much yesterday and pic's may not show much change. I'll take a few later after everything thaws out around here. It is only 38degrees out there now and my fingers don't work well when it gets down in the 60's. I'll get your fix in a bit though.
Mahelos to ALL

J

It's only 38 degrees! That's a warm day and I would take advantage of it! I gotta move south!
JP

B

Yeah, Come on DOWN, it is up to 50 now.
Here is the latest updates. Finished hollowing out the back, opened up the back of the mouth and got his weight down to about 30 pounds!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 12:14 PM

un-believable ben, your such an insperation for greatness...

J

Ok I'll be down. It'd be great to carve with you guys next weekend at your carving get togethrer.

I'd like to see a full tiki picture, the elements look great, but the whole story has to be a lot better!
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 6:56 PM

Ben,

Wow, you didn't change the date on your update, so I didn't even know these were here. I wasn't expecting you to cut through the mouth, but it looks really cool. Must have been tough to get it right with the tongue? The scroll work on the headdress is tops. What else do you have in store for this guy? Seems like you are really going all out on this one. I'll trade you a cedar log for him when he's done :)

-Gman

Aloha Ben!!!!!!!!!
I thought the detail on the headress looked good on one side , it really pops on both sides and i like the mouth being open. Can you imagine if someone got a low watt colored bulb (cordless,i heard they were available) and put it behind the mask for some kool lighting for a Super Cool Tiki, Mahalo for sharing! Mooney

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 4:24 AM

Cool work Ben! I been away from my place so I havent had time to keep regular TC visits - man I missed the making of a beauty! I love the scroll work on the headress - very nice.

If you want it a bit warmer, come down to Sydney - New years day saw 113 (45 celsius in Aussie speak). Hot, damn hot. But not as hot as this baby - its scorchin!

B

Kirby, Thanks, but seeing is believing and I can see it right here.

JP, Thanks, Tomorrow I will take some more full shots so you can see the whole thing.

GMAN,Sorry about not changing the update date!I will do it right from now on..
This log is such a Nice carving piece of wood and it can hold so much more detail than the other palms that I decided to Add more detail than normal. Thanks for the trade offer, but I think he's already sold..Thanks

Mooney, Thanks, yes back lighting on this guy might be nice

Hewey, thanks,, see what you miss when you don't come around. I'd Love to come down during our winter, but I Think you are a Looong ways away, but who knows, I may suprize you one day.

C

ben...the toes are incredible....along with the rest of him.....you really do raise the
bar with your carvings....thanks for the update.....

KK

Aloha Bruddah Ben!
Howzit? Id say the lono looks amazing but that would be an understatement! You really are one of da best brah! Im always impressed with your work and appreciate all your aloha!
Get to work on those scraps I sent you! Cant wait to see what brilliant work will come from them!

Malama Pono brah!

J

Man, that is tooooooooo good. Just when I think I might be learning something, you put me right back into my place! Thanks for the pictures. More studying is necessary!

JP

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 4:07 PM

Cool toes! Are you sure you don't want one of my nasty knotted up logs in trade :wink:

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-01-09 18:20 ]

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 5:33 PM

Was there an accident??? What happened to the other toes or is he a special 8 toe tiki?? :wink: :wink:

He is soooooo coooool!! Somebody is going to be very lucky to have this guy!!

B

Congatiki, Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you like his toes and I'm sure you will like the rest of him when he is done. You're welcome for the update.

Kaha ki'i Aloha back to you my brother from another mother. Thanks for the kind words. Yes I need to start a Bone production really soon to see how it is and how it works. Thanks for the care package my friend.

JohnnyP. Gotta keep awake to learn from the masters. Never can tell when an update may come along. I will keep posting pix when I have made some progress on the carving. Thanks for the support.

GMAN, Thanks anyway, I don't think I can use the TWISTED, Curled up logs,Have any straight ones??

Hey Moki, No Accident with the toes. sometimes the tikis with 3 or 4 toes look for the full toed tiki and the wait until he goes to sleep and they
snip off the extra toes and graft them onto each others feet, My guy assured me he knows of a 6 toed tiki who needs some toes removed.
Some time ago the Normal tiki had 3 toes and they were happy with the 3 toes they had. Some fancypants Carver started carving 5 toes FIVE toes with toenails and all .Well this really upset the applecart really Liked the toes but they thought it cool to remove the extra toes as a putdown to the rogue carver and instead of burning them or throwing them away, they fitted and glued them onto their own feet in a way that looked natural,, They liked it so much that they continued to be carved 3 toes with the tiki hoping to "POP" the toes off the rouge tiki carvers tiki. Sometimes they request 4 toes so they have a head start and the 5 toe tikis will KNOW the 4 toe tiki is LOOKING at their Toes. They didn't really want this story out, afraid the 5 toe carver will stop and go back to the 3 toe standard.Well Moki, Its Out now and there may be more bloodshed. good luck. Protect your tikis, All of them, keep them safe..

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 9:23 PM

Our BigBenz still has all 10 of his toes. We're getting him fit for steel toe boots tomorrow to protect him!! :wink: Thanks for the story. You make us laugh!!!

Benz,

Incredible work! Been watching this one unfold and I am inclined to agree with Mooney. Call me crazy or tacky but I picture that nicely! There is something about his mouth that is calling out for a nice red light behind it... okay.. so maybe I also see a soft, gentle mist coming out of his mouth as well while nestled amongst the greenery.. okay, now I'm dreamin'.

Fantastic again,.. as usual!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 10, 2006 1:49 AM

Them teeth look way cool Benz!

B

Thanks Moki, TikitikiBoom and Hewey, I appreciate all the good words and comps.
Here's Todays update

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 10, 2006 12:39 PM

Ben,

Great stuff, all around. I love every piece of him. Wonderful job. I'm going to call you tonight to square away the logistics of the Tiki Jam bus ride. Talk to you around 7:30 or 8:00?

-Gman

A

Wow Ben,

That is awesome. Just looking at the tiki makes me want to get out into the garage and start a new tiki. Very inspirational.

Amazing work Ben as always i just love it.

Great updates . I am really liking the lettering on the bottom. Its a great addition to a great piece.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 11, 2006 6:44 AM

Ben,
I'm curious where you would rate him on your all time list. Does he make the top 5?

J

It's terrific, and I can see you are still adding detail. Is this one going to a museum?

JP

KK

Howzit Bruddah Ben?!
He's looks pono fo'shua brah! Youve really done great and Im sure my ancestors would be proud! Youve captured the 'uhane or akua (spirit) of Lono perfectly! As Im sure you know, some versions of Lono done by modern carvers can look a bit "disney-ish", if you know what I mean...Your Lono looks alomst 100% kahiko brah! One question, you always sign the front pedestal? Normally I wouldnt be into that, but on your ki'i, it looks cool!

Keep up the good work Ben as Im sure you will!

Malama Pono!

B

GMAN, I will be waiting to go, thanks or the ride and the props,

Alldo, just don't forget the progress pictures, we need Lots. Thanks.

Marcus, thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoy the updates.

Rodeo, Thanks, I'm glad you like the lettering at the bottom
There was much discussion about that in my mind before the first one went out and that space won

Loki, thanks for the sizziling question. I would rate him within the top five tikis I have carved

JohnnyP,
No he is not going to a museum as far as I know. However whoever gets him may have plans that include a museum, I don't know.

Kaha Ki'i, Thanks again for more kind words. Your Ancestors ARE Proud for they Helped me create this Sassy tiki. They wanted one with some real heart, mind and soul and I gave as much of mine as he would take in and itn turn, he gave things to me. I'm not sure what yet cause I'm still too busy getting him all tikified up and making sure hehas everything he will need in todays world. I try my best to keep the tiki looking correct, so thet when he goes home , they know him and give him the rank his family deserves. I try to give him my best cuts and teach him all my experience so he may want to carve some day. The Lono at the bottom , under the feet is the Best place HE could come up with to show people who don't know whad god he is and to remind them of who the carver was who created him.
Thanks Big Time Kaha ki'i,
Ben

Here are the days updates and almost the last updates as he will be finished real soon
Here is todays update

Enjoy

Oh Ben, he's my favorite you've carved so far!
Just stunning.
He would be the royal presence in any home.

Kaablaamoooo! This one is extra special fo sho!

A

Very nice Ben. Thanks for all the progress pics. You made it seem like we watched him come to life before our very eyes. Hope you have a bunch of logs in your pile cause we all can't wait for more!

Look at that gleam in your eye Ben!
You know that this is a master piece.
Congrats!

Hey! How did Bambooer get a free plug in this!?

Another incredible work of art, Ben!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies