Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

B

Paipo, I can see the tremendous amount of shaping that had to be done and cleaned by hand. Arduous work but you met the challenge head on and had no problems with it. The resulting piece speaks volumes about your ability to finish even the most difficult designs. Another Excellent piece!

P

yeah, yeah, it's great and all, but what does it taste like? it looks like candy and i want to lick it.

you and your shaping sticks. man, you must have a beautiful native girl bringing you lemonade while you lounge in the cool new zealand breeze and sand stuff.

(that's how i want to picture it.)

it's quite beautiful and i'm very interested in owning it.

THATS IT! Perry hit the nail on the head, CANDY! It looks like it should come out of a wrapper and have the green taste like lime and the red taste like Mandarin orange, or some exotic flavor! The contrast is "Sweet"! Be sure when it's done, to take a pic with a light behind it.
The Birdman

P

Thanks Jonesey, Ben, Perry and Birdman. This piece is all done now, just need to glue the teeth in place and braid the cord. I also made a toggle from the offcut piece of the tongue. I spent ages doing the inlays to get them just right, and an unexpected result when sanding the paua led to a change in plan for the orientation of the patterns in the shell:

As requested by Birdman:

I will take a whole lot of better pics when the gluing and cord are done. This one ended up being a major undertaking - probably the most involved jade carving I've done in 3 or 4 years since my last full-bodied tiki. I'm still debating whether or not to commit to the time another one of those will take! In the meantime, I have a couple of simpler jade designs I'll try and start over the next few days.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-21 00:06 ]

Yo bro, the teeth were an unexpected treat! That piece puts a smile on my face!

You've got a way with the rocks, that's for sure and for certain!
Don't stop!

speechless

just beautiful.

KS

B

yeah, you kinda snuck those teeth in there at the last moment. Such a Beautiful, Clean, Simple looking design, knowing all too well that that simplicity took Hours in getting the contours just right and the features just so. BEAUTIFUL, Contemporary Maori piece.

R
Robin posted on Sat, Jul 21, 2007 6:59 AM

Just beautiful Paipo.

J

Where's that face-melting animation when you need it?! Wow! This piece is soooooo cool Paipo! Words can not describe how much I like this one! I got to see another of your pebbles in person today. Kinny's moai tangata manu is the bomb! He wore it proudly at the Big Ol' Tiki Bash, and Putorino #1 enjoyed the party as well. There are Paipo's at all the best parties these days! Now when are you gonna follow your little guys across the ocean?!

P

Cheers to all - I'm glad I got through this one! It was one of those pieces where I just kept going and sanding / tweaking little areas I thought could be better. The jade is extremely unforgiving of mistakes and I tend to obsess over it. The teeth were sort of planned, but I didn't make up my mind on them until the rest was done and I could see how they'd look.
I've put the next couple of jade pieces on hold to get through a few new pebble carvings...some will be redux versions of some earlier carvings, and some are for fun. This one is for fun:
"Mask of Yatumba"

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-26 03:26 ]

Very Cool Paipo.

On 2007-07-26 00:58, Paipo wrote:

"Mask of Yatumba"

Very nice, but Im sure there's more... Lets see, something to do with the mouth. A gold tooth? A fire-breather? A small speaker system, yelling Polynesain profanities and/or 'chug-a-lug' chants..?

Dont keep us in suspence too long.

T :)

B

On 2007-07-26 04:27, Tamapoutini wrote:

On 2007-07-26 00:58, Paipo wrote:

"Mask of Yatumba"

Very nice, but Im sure there's more... Lets see, something to do with the mouth. A gold tooth? A fire-breather? A small speaker system, yelling Polynesain profanities and/or 'chug-a-lug' chants..?
Dont keep us in suspence too long.
T :)

Yeah, Don't keep us hanging too long, Especially after the teasers Tama Presented;"Fire-Breather" ???
You have any teasers on Tama's Stuff? ?? ???

R
Robin posted on Thu, Jul 26, 2007 7:46 AM

Very nice Paipo...my vote is for the fire breather. Can't wait to see what comes next.

I hope you've insured those hands! They're Solid Gold!
Really like this new gent's expression,Rhys!
Even your very simple designs have details in the shape and structure!
A mouth like that would make a perfect bowl for a pipe......oh!
get it? pipe-oh?paipo? uuuuuuuuuuuuuh.....

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 26, 2007 2:46 PM

I have no idea where this one is going - there is room for something in the mouth (which would make a sweet bowl, but won't this time)...and the eyes will have some kind of inlay to give 'em more pop...and some sort of surface decoration is on the cards too...I guess I'll find out today! Thanks Tama, Shaman, Ken, Ben and Robin!

Paipo-
Your work is outstanding, as if I'm the first that has said that. Do you regularly sell them on ebay?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 7:24 PM

Hey Moondance - I've seen you on myspace, didn't realise you were a carver and TCer too. Diggin that pic in your sig - I could use some of that juice today! Small, cold, grey and the wrong tide here...
My tikis are sold either through here, ebay, mailing list or by direct commission. I like to avoid ebay if possible because it takes more time and money than any other method, but it does reach a lot of tiki fans that don't visit here. I've also "met" some pretty cool folks through selling my stuff on ebay that have been long-time supporters of my work.

P

Didn't get in much carving time today, but crept a little closer to finishing. Most of the time was spent fiddling around with bits of shell trying to work out how to get the eyes right. It ain't easy getting a concave inlay to sit neatly against a convex surface...

On 2007-07-27 23:13, Paipo wrote:
It ain't easy getting a concave inlay to sit neatly against a convex surface...

But you nailed it, of course. You have super-human paua! ( :lol: )

T3 :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jul 29, 2007 3:55 PM

groan.... :)
Paua is gorgeous, but I'm going to leave it alone for a while now...the inlays on my last two pieces really took more time than they should have. My mind has been corrupted by opalescent colours and patterns...aaargh!

#34 is now done and ready to go:

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 29, 2007 4:37 PM

Beautiful work Paipo! Thanks for the pics.

-G

WoW!! :o - They look like computer discs.. WICKID work mate; you are the inlay King too..

Tama :) (see you Friday nite?)

B

Paipo, This guy is really beautiful. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record telling you how great each new piece is. Keep 'em coming. What's next that you are going to Over-do??

that is so cool! just amazing, man. and i love the pics against the other pebbles;-imagine the mystery surounding a find like that on a rocky beach. great beginning of a story. cheers!

B

WOW WOW wOW.

Amazing piece, Paipo.
The inlays are just wonderful on this one.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

P

Cheers G, Tama, Benz, Pat and Benjamin.
Tama, you're spot on...they look just like little CDs! I just used the unaltered/natural inside surface of the shell and it's super reflective. See you Friday...better bring the camera!
Pat, it's not too far fetched to imagine one of these washing up on a local beach - the occasional piece that hasn't worked out ends up in the scrap bucket, which then goes into the rivermouth...so maybe in a year or two some interesting finds will be made?
Benz..what's next? Glad you asked...one of those MK II versions I mentioned previously:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-30 01:34 ]

R
Robin posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 7:23 AM

Nice Paipo...those colors are pretty compelling eh? Hard to resist sometimes. I agree about the picture...really inviting, just like finding treasure....and a treasure it is.

And I thank you as well for all your efforts and guidance on this forum.

Moving on from rainbows to skulls.....a rich and varied palette of images. You gonna listen to death metal for this one? :)

[ Edited by: Robin 2007-07-30 07:25 ]

On 2007-07-26 08:55, little lost tiki wrote:
I hope you've insured those hands! They're Solid Gold!
Really like this new gent's expression,Rhys!
Even your very simple designs have details in the shape and structure!
A mouth like that would make a perfect bowl for a pipe......oh!
get it? pipe-oh?paipo? uuuuuuuuuuuuuh.....

paipo, please make a pipe for kinny. if you can do it quickly maybe he'll share at tiki oasis. k'den brah! :D i'm standing by my front door right now waiting for the mailman. i know it's only a quarter to eight in the morning and i have no idea if this is the day he'll show up, but i'm ready to welcome the jade mask to sactown. mask of yatuba came out beautifully. the eyes are first class. i'm digging the skull on the new cannibal too. you are a freakin' genius my friend!

V

OH MY GOD! The skull eating guy is one of my all time paipo favorites (tied with the mini-marq in a pebble) - I cant wait to see this new verson! Is it for the summer swap? :) I'll be checking this thread every hour for updates!

#34 is yet another Masterwork!!!! Those eyes are COMPELLING! It's all about the GAZE,man! And this new Cannibal is gonna turn out Hella-cool! What a Pro!!!!! Can't wait to see the Cannibal evolve!
Viva Paipo!

B

Ouch ! Stop killing me, this last inlay is top first class but please don't compare to mine on the moai, I wish I didn't post today :lol:

Bravo,

Benjamin.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 2:12 PM

Thanks Robin. I did listen to some metal (mostly) while making this yesterday, as well as some hard drum n bass, although death metal is a little extreme for my tastes these days. I actually have some Robin Trower I haven't listened to yet - might check it today...

Bullet, there will be a pebble tiki pipe coming sometime. I have a few ideas kicking around for one, mostly moai designs. You might want to check nearer the end of the week for your goodies...they only went out on Friday! I have had stuff arrive in CA in 3-4 days after posting before tho...

VanT, unfortunately no chance of drawing this one in the swap - he is for a patient TCer from my list. I have this and one other I will start next to clear. A micro marq remake is also likely at some stage.

Kinny, yep, the eyes have it...Bumatays are all about that bug-eyed fishy gaze. I knew you'd be diggin on the new guy...I still need to "borrow" your concept of skulls for eyes on one of these pieces someday too!

Benjamin, it's apples and oranges...I never really compare my stuff with anyone else's as I use a totally different medium and approach. I'm still always in awe of what you wood guys produce and still trying to figure out how to do it!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-30 14:18 ]

i definatly have a very weak spot for cannibals, esp yours. can't wait to see more too!

B

SUUWWWEEEET

C

34# is so great!! And this new one looks like it's going to rock my world... Can't wait!

H
harro posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 6:36 PM

hey paipo,
been keeping an eye on your thread while traversing and i must say the precision and originality of each piece keeps astounding me - great work! keep it up!
harro.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 7:08 PM

Hey Pat...I definitely have a weak spot for 'em too. It's one of my favourite themes from the golden era of tiki. I've also been grooving on all the new Ruzic cannibals on the other side of the "Creating Tiki" fence, and of course the one you did too. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do a Cannibal Trilogy myself....I haven't decided yet between 3 separate pieces, the classic totem or all 3 in a row like your version (but in one piece).

Ben, I think that's the most succinct comment you've ever posted in my thread! :lol:

Clarita - thanks! Hope you like the new update...

Harro! Great to see you (virtually speaking). Where on earth are you now? Still in South America?

The new Cannibal/Skulleater has gone Marquesan now. I was trying for the more Poly Pop styled Marq than traditional with this guy. I like to imagine him being a logo tiki for some long-lost Polynesian Pop Palace...

R
Robin posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 7:58 PM

Astonishing....your work just knocks me out every time I look at it.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 8:38 PM

Way to go Paipo, that is sharp!

-G

dude, the cannibal is looking fierce! i hope ya don't mind me posting this pic here, but i figured there were a lot of carvers who don't check the collecting thread and might like to see the gang.

T

That is by far my favorite! Is that one going up for sale or did someone already snatch it? My 8 year old jumped out of his swim trunks when he saw it, as did I (we're covering up with towels right now :roll: )

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 10:59 PM

Cheers Robin, G & Bullet (lucky 1000th post in this thread!).
Birdman, this is one of the last few pieces I'm doing to clear my list, so it is spoken for as far as I know. I'm hoping the intended recipient will be pretty happy with the finished result, which I'll have to photograph it tomorrow as I've run out of light.
Meanwhile, it's time to grab some dinner and put on my glad rags for Tama's exhibtion opening!
:drink: :tiki: :drink:

Beautiful as always, Paipo. The details are just so crisp. My Creature needs a friend, so iF the list person flakes, feel free to pm me!

:o DANG Paip' you just keep blasting carves into every stone! Freekin bone crushing SICK design! :D CHOMP! :D

V
virani posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 9:02 AM

the marquesian-skull eater is a beauty.

i love it that you just can't help yourself, mate. a while back you wrote you were gonna be making some quiki tikis. but, you are so creative and talented that you just can't help it that you turn out one detailed masterpiece after another. viva paipo!

B

Well Paipo, Sometimes I just can't think of Anything else to say, Especially when there is Drool all over the keyboard. Bullet didn't help any by posting that pic of All your goodies. Now you throw in the skull eater and I'm just going Wacko, Thanks.

Really Sweet!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies