Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 2:46 PM

Looking good Paipo! I can't wait to see him with his other "pieces" attached. So what kinda glue are you using on stone?

-Gman

Paipo,

I love your work. How awesome would it be to find one of these while combing the beach for sea glass. Heck, someday I would like to buy one.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 8:05 PM

On 2006-09-02 14:46, GMAN wrote:
Looking good Paipo! I can't wait to see him with his other "pieces" attached. So what kinda glue are you using on stone?

-Gman

Done! I use 2-Ton epoxy, any high strength slow curing double syringe epoxy will do though.
Raffertiki - funny you should say that...all my rejects go into a bucket, which goes into the rivermouth when it's full. I don't think there's any completed tikis in there, but there will be some interesting looking stones washing up just North of here in a couple of years.

Tiki Party....

B

Paipo, that #7 IS very evil looking. He is really beautiful. I Love the precision of your work and yet there is life there that thing breathes and I would hate to feel it sneek up behind me!! The eyes are just perfect and menacing!

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 10:38 PM

Simply amazing.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 5:24 AM

Paipo,

#7 looks great! He has very spooky eyes...he almost looks like he's looking back and left. Beautiful stuff. I really like the mini-pebble tiki in the pebble. I figured you were using a 2 part glue, but was thinking about how much of a mess it could make....yowwie! I can't wait to see an update on your basalt piece.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-03 05:32 ]

Absolutely incredible craftsmanship, Paipo.
I'm not sure what YOU expected, but it is unbelievable to ME the amount of detail, character and mana you've brought to the stone...VERY impressive!

Superb.

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

B

Just putting the grain of the shell going vertical totally changes the personality of this piece. I really love it thei way.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 3:43 PM

Thanks Benz, Heath, GMAN and Jonesey. I played around with a fair few pieces of shell before choosing the one I did. This guy certainly has a spookier vibe than I anticipated, but I like it!

V

Oh Man! THe "Tiki PArty" photo is driving me crazy! SOOOOO good! Such an amazing collection of tikis. Absolutely top notch!

VanTiki

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 8:54 PM

Cheers VanTiki! The party will be over soon when a couple of the attendees head off to their new homes....
Meanwhile, #8 is now done, Mini Moai stone shot mug:

Beautiful mate. Bring it around & Ill shout you a Pisco... 'Cheers'. Tama

F

Most excellent work
regards
Flynny

B

Excelent looking Mug, though I think it would take all nightdrinking from it to catch a buzz. amybe good for the "designated" driver. Love the Birdmen dancing 'round the bottom.

H
harro posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 5:35 AM

i love them all... but i ESPECIALLY love this one!!!

amazing!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 3:00 PM

Tama, you're right on the money...the Pisco will be the recommended drink for this little fella for sure. A session may have to wait until I've got another one though!
Cheers Flynny, back onto the Rarotongan again now I think. You taken that micromotor for a spin yet?
Benz, you're right (see below), but it does hold a single nip, so if you've got some nice OP rum it will still do the trick. There are 7 different rongorongo around the base, but they are hard to photograph as I "weathered" them a bit, so they looked like they'd been there for a while.
harro, I thought you'd like it, and your pics and trip report contributed to the development stage.

Another tiny pebble head, about 20mm...maybe it would look good attached to something else?

L
Loki posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 5:39 PM

Kia Ora Paipo...as usual your imagination and craftsmanship is top notch...i've said it before, everytime i see your work i just smile. Cheers!

aloha paipo! #5, the skulleater, arrived today and i'm stoked! awesome work, brah. i'll post a pick in my tc art thread soon. mahalo, bullet

B

And I suppose you "Just Happen to Have" something to add this little feller to? With these small ones, you are definitely getting to the point of needing Magnification to see whats going on.
So you and Tama the Terrible went to jade carving school at the same time, Cool? It's really interesting that you both carve so differently and on different stuff. It seems that the NZ Gov't really tries to offer further education to all it's peoples which I think is great.
More rocks!
Paipo Rocks

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 6:40 PM

Thanks Loki, I'm enjoying your work at the moment too. Seeing you've been in the Marquesan mood yourself lately, you'll probably like the latest little fella.
Bullet, mahalo to you too bro - thanks for supporting my work and being the first TC member to pick up a Paipo original!

And I suppose you "Just Happen to Have" something to add this little feller to?

• sure do...#9 all done:

Yeah, "Jade School"! Sounds pretty cool eh? It was a lot of fun, not so much for the curriculum, but just to hang out with like minds and find some of the answers we were seeking, as well as having access to tools and stone for the first time. I also had a year off between my 1st and 2nd year studies, working in a "real" lapidary shop in the North Island, where my boss encouraged me to meet as many other carvers as I could.

Awww mate! Dont know how you do it... (the ideas I mean, haha) Will have to get something like this off you for meself! Love the contrasting colours & background shape/patterns, Tiki-Disco! Nice pic!

TTT :)

You're Hot! Hot! Hot! Paipo!!! Don't stop now, cool the toolz and keep'dem stonz rollin!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 3:14 AM

Cheers Tama mate...he is meant to have a bit of a disco / lounge vibe, a wall hanging, but for the neck. You likey? Maybe you can slice me a few nice green steaks from that side of beef in your thread!
Thanks Jonesey, keep 'em rolling I will...a couple more progress pics for today. The big (for me) moai is at what I call the "Dog's Breakfast" stage, the basalt Tang is looking slightly more refined. And in case you're wondering, no, that's not his left leg at the bottom right of the picture....:wink:

B

Paipo's on a ROLL!. Man I Love that Tang, I'm Jealous, I gotta have one of those. You are really over the top on these last bunch, excellent stuff. I can't talk for the Drool flowing all over the keyboard, have to quit typing in a minute andfe cldfvbea on[w ti nbsjup

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 6:14 AM

good on ya son!

that's a well hung tang!

T

Yeah, wow! That's some really nice work Paipo! How can I get one of those?

F
flynny posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 7:23 AM

I see him again.
Awesome work Paipo. off camping for the weekend, been busy recently but will put up some photos next week.
Keep up the good stuff.
Regards
Flynny

oooooooohhhhhhhhhh! the tangaroa is incredible! great work, paipo!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 6:54 PM

:D That's cool stuff!

B

Hey Paipo. I just noticed something Cool in the moai Picture: those raisin fingers giving us a clue to your watering system. Love old Stone Face there too.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 1:29 PM

Thanks Benz, I wondered if anyone would see my shrivelled fingers. About then I know it's time to stop for the day.
Harro, in my opinion if it's not well-hung it ain't a Tang! The emasculated ones look really sad to me.
Tikigap, if you like something let me know - some of these guys go pretty quick. The adoption request for the Tang came when he was only a preformed slab!
Flynny, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with your new machine...
Bullet and GMAN, thanks for the comps. I will be doing a few more variants of these, but this one is taking a lot longer than I thought because it's double sided - not really necessary on a pendant...
Nothing new carving wise from the weekend - the weather was perfect, the best we've had for ages. I did some work on my studio and went cruising with the wife and (borrowed) kids along the coast road. We caught up with a few friends, one of whom hooked me up with some very nice jade beach pebbles. Watch this space!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-09-10 13:33 ]

Gidday mate. Getting a taste of Fatherhood, eh?, thats the stuff!

Newly begun & finished works looking good (you could get yourself a job on E.Island! Im sure the local lava would be easier to carve...haha Perfect proportions on both, choice!

*Youve got some nice friends; what're you up to with those pebbles..?heehee 'T3'

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 12, 2006 8:55 PM

Cheers mate, but I don't know about perfect proportions - there's something I messed up on the moai and I'm trying to decide if it's worth fixing. Meanwhile #10 is underway, a fairly old school Hawaiian influenced guy:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 6:00 AM

Great work man :)

B

Really Love this Hawaiian Influenced guy. Of course I love All your stuff, but this guy is really sween. The tang is still the best.
The Moai is different, but they ALL are. There is something about doing a Moai that seems so easy but is so difficult. They are eazy to mess up and difficult to get right. You hcouldn't do anything to him that has not already been done a thousand times. Just finid=sh him up and he will be another on the long list of 'Different" Moai. He has some very strong features that I would love to see completed.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 6:17 PM

Oh man, #10 is going to be the best yet. Please post lots more progress pics. What a great design. Post again soon...

-Gman

Amazing Paipo, I really dig the variety in styles...each one a surprise and never knowing what is to be next!!!
Keep up the great work!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

P

Thanks hewey! Edit to add: Just this minute saw on the news that there's some very nice Maori artifacts on loan from NZ at the National museum in Sydney, you should get along and check it out if it's your thing.....
Benz, you're right about the moai - he is recoverable, but I'm annoyed I made such a simple error. They are incredibly deceptive in terms of getting them just right proportionally.
GMAN - cheers, no more progress on #10 yet but he's not far away. Keep an eye on your mailbox :wink:
Thanks for stopping by again Jonesey - continuing the variety theme here's another roughout. One day soon I will have some more finished works!
The return of "raisin fingers".....

VV Thanks Flynny - hope you're keeping that micromotor busy!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-09-14 23:27 ]

F

He's gonna be wicked!!!
regards
Flynny

A baby-eater??? Have you shown this to Mrs P?... hahahaha! TTT

M

Very nice Paipo.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Yes Raisen-fingers strikes again. Another wonderful piece too for all but the kidz. I can hear the little bugger screaming now "Mommy help meeeee."
Get in MY BELLAY!
Paipo, I am still amazed at what you can do to plain old Rocks, Unbelievable.

P

Thanks fellas. Another day, another tiki: "Tiki Kaitangata" is all done after a pretty long stint today. I'm really pleased with this guy - it took a while to get him right but it was worth it in the end. No fancy inlays, just carving.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-09-17 18:15 ]

Evil genius!!! T3

I really dig this piece. Great detail as always.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 16, 2006 5:04 AM

Paipo,

The cannibal is the Bee's Knees!! You are a rock-god!

-Gman

F

Aaahhhh

H

Steak sauce or marinated in his own juices?
Either way it makes my mouth water!

[ Edited by: Heath 2006-09-16 12:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies