Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

CONGRATS CENTURION...lead forth and conquer 100 more! :D

*Perhaps you could start the new thread with a few of those 'emerging' critters I spied this morning Paip'? - or maybe one of the others from the pile..? :wink:

Im sure you'll kick it off with a Bang whatever you do..

TTT :D

K

Mahalo for the kine words Paipo,Tama,seeksurf,harro. I was nervous about sending out pictures of Kumakanui, you see, even though I have been fortunate enough to have been chosen (Hawaiians say that you don't find a stone, like Ku, rather the stone finds you...)to be the caretaker of this special stone, I live in a state where everything that is considered Hawaiian Antiquities belongs to the state.
So any chance this state has they'll try to take Ku away, no matter how long he has been in my family.
Ku is unlike the more beautiful and detailed stone tiki's that you can find in Tahiti,New Zealand, Marquesans, etc., he is Hawaiian tiki carving in its rawest form.
In old Hawai'i, not any stone was chosen as a pohaku akua (stone god), for a lack of the better words, a stone needed attitude and mana (power) and with a simple addition of a nose or mouth and prayer, there you have a stone god.
Wooden tiki's were the god images, stone tiki's were the gods.
The following pictures are of Ku's different sides.
I share these pictures with you, my brothers and sisters, because of the beautiful work you do and with the belief that the word tiki (ki'i) is more to you then just a word from the past. Long live the tiki lovers.
May the gods be with you and everywhere you may step.

Kaluna

B

OKOKOKOK, Where IZZIT?
The New One?

K

They say "you can't judge a book by its cover" but people still do, here's another side of Ku, look back at my first post and you'll see yet another view.If you are looking for a new face, there is none. Unfortunately he comes from a time and a place where there was no iron tools and the stone quarries that had stones heavy and hard enough to be used for adze were far away, in this case on the top of Mauna Kea volcanoe, one of the tallest mountains in the world. To a society where the pig was the largest four footed animal, and most of its inhabitants living along the coast, a trip to the quarry was a long and dangerous journey.
If you only look for the obvious,that's all you'll see but if you look beyond that
perhaps you'll see how the ancients saw things when they made...tiki's.
So far you have seen pictures of Ku in the day...in torch light its another story.

Aloha

A quick note to farewell the old thread. Well done Mr Piapo - 100 pages of quality work and intelligent posting!

Big up yourself!

Tama :D

--

PS: Kaluna - This thread is all but over, but there is a most likely a relevant thread on Hawaiian carvings* that might be a more suitable place to tell us more about Kumakanui if you have more pics or info to share. Im sure people would be interested.
Not wishing to upset you (and fully realise you are new to the dizzying sum-total of TC) but most of the threads in the Creating Forums are dedicated to the work of one artist in particular.

Have a look around and if you cant find a suitable thread then maybe Ku needs a thread of his own..?

*can anyone help in this regard?

Cheers, T

CONGRATS ON THE 100 PAGES!
what happens now?
is the light in your hand blinking?
are you going to CARNIVAL ,like in Logan's Run?
or will you grab a handful of jade and become a Runner?
:lol:
100 pages....
no resting on your laurels!
more good stuff!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 2:58 PM

I'm glad you chose to post him here, and I certainly don't mind people posting stuff in my thread(s!) if it's vaguely topic-related (which this certainly was)...but I'm thinking a thread elsewhere might not be a good idea considering the sensitive nature of this item?
I think it's a nice way to wrap up this thread - and I totally understood what it was about the first time you posted it Kaluna. There are very similar Maori pieces where the form is merely suggested rather than rendered in detail, but they are no less effective for it.
Cheers Tama, Benz, Jonesy and kaluna (who I will quote again):
"...tiki (ki'i) is more to you then just a word from the past. Long live the tiki lovers. " :)
:tiki: :tiki: :tiki:
edit: Kinny must've posted while I was writing this...I'm off and running! to the new thread!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-05-19 03:43 ]

B

Might as well look at the old Paipo stuff till he gets back to work. Man this is some great stuff paipo. I got up to page 30 and will pick up there later.

CA

100!!!!!!! nice!!!!

this Lava rock stuff is great too! I've been obsessed will lava from my earliest memories in AZ. The front yard had several boulders that made incredible G.I. Joe H.Q.s... any way Pele and her sisters around the Pacific ring of fire are the best sculptors of all time!!

i don't see faces here, but beauty abounds! and it aint in resin!!

this first palm-APE tiki piece found me also... i had never carved palm with an ax, and certainly not on stage for a short set... when the music stopped... it Was.

now this is ART!!!!!!!!!!!

-Quote-
This is the stone I found on the beach, maybe you can suggest something I can do with it. It has a natural inclusion, removed it would look a bit skull like, play around with it??

Regards
Flynny

This thread is what it's all about! 100 and counting!!!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 28, 2009 2:18 PM

Talk about memory lane...I always wanted to carve real lava! We have a cool rock here called Bluestone that comes from Mt Horrible...vesicular basalt formed by lava flows:

Not as radical as that stuff you posted up above though... man that would look sweet with a piece of grass green jade perched on top!
Thanks for the bump and the comps C'Al, it has woken me from my slumber.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies