Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

B

There you go again Paipo, blowin' us away with your stuff, man I Swear I'm gonna quit coming around here if you don't work more on these guys (just kidding!). This free form tiki looks like it will be another one of your "Great ones" depending on how far you let IT Take You! Greg Warned me about this and good thing he did too! I Love it.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 3:52 PM

We want more pics of the big sculpture....we know you have them....

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 6:09 PM

Thanks Ben, G, timid (or should that be "lightning"? :lol: )
I do have some progress and was waiting to finish him up before posting, but here you go:

Not much change from the last pic, but this piece was finished for real this time...

Amusing aside: I was sifting some sand (from a bucket I filled at the beach) for blasting/etching on the weekend, and on about the second scoop found this:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-12-16 18:11 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 6:20 PM

Very nice Paipo! Thanks for the pic of the big guy. I can't believe that piece. I love it.

-G

Nice progress pic of the "big one" still can't believe how big it is!
I dig that natural sinew color braiding you used on the Manaia, looks muy authentico!

IKI

P

More big-tiki lovin' for G. Kinda like watching paint dry perhaps, but I have got the details and the "metamorphic" areas almost finished now. I lost count, but I think it took about 6-8 passes with about 4 different tools to restore the rough rock look to the worked areas.

I also decided the form needed some transition through to the back side:

Sneaky, that stuff is called "artificial sinew" - I don't know what it is usually used for, but you can get it on ebay (I bought enough to last me about 10 years I think)
I just twist as many strands as I need for the weight of my ply, then braid those together. Single strands are also perfect for tricky threading jobs. Size-wise, I think this big boy is the largest stone I have ever carved by a pound or two, and the first BIG jade in about 5 years!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-12-18 00:39 ]

J

Nice toes!

Oh yeah, the big rock looks cool too! :wink:

On 2007-12-18 00:50, JenTiki wrote:
Nice toes!

Oh yeah, the big rock looks cool too! :wink:

*You ought to be wearing steel-capped boots in case you drop it! :o Glad to see you finishing the year with a bang mate, awesome piece.

T

No worries, Tama, them is "tiki toes" - count 'em . . . hard as rock!

But, Paipo, I don't understand the comment about restoring the rough rock appearance. Where? And could you explain?

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Dec 18, 2007 3:12 AM

On 2007-12-18 01:55, timidtiki wrote:
No worries, Tama, them is "tiki toes" - count 'em . . . hard as rock!

But, Paipo, I don't understand the comment about restoring the rough rock appearance. Where? And could you explain?

There were some areas that were ground away to get the form I wanted, but I then wanted to blend back into the rough stone to enhance the impression of the tiki emerging/growing organically from the rock.
Visually it is still not quite there (you can see it looks "softer" than the surrounding stone), so I might hit it a couple more times and see what happens. But it's not too far off...it is supposed to be transitional between the two surfaces (worked and unworked) after all.

PS Trust me, you don't wanna see a closeup of the "tiki toes" (oh, look, there they are again!)

PPS thanks Jen and T

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-12-18 03:14 ]

B

On 2007-12-18 03:12, Paipo wrote:

I then wanted to blend back into the rough stone to enhance the impression of the tiki emerging/growing organically from the rock.

Master P,

Can you see me banging my head on this key board here? Your riding on a mondo wave boss!

YOU ROCK PAIPO!!! (no pun)

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-12-18 06:48 ]

T

Paipo, man that big rock is awesome! It looks like a museum piece. Doesn't look like it needs any more work to me! :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 18, 2007 8:35 AM

"Doesn't look like it needs any more work to me."

Hmmmm. You better send it to Gman for further analysis. I will determine if it is completely complete. This study will, of course, consume much of my time and likely result in my possessing this sculpture for an extended period of time. Additional research may be warranted due to the massive size of the subject.

-G

B

He's getting more beautifuller every time you touch him, Love the toze too, IZZAT why tikis only get 4 toez?
THe back follow through was a Nice touch.

On 2007-12-18 00:34, Paipo wrote:
More big-tiki lovin' for G. Kinda like watching paint dry perhaps, but I have got the details and the "metamorphic" areas almost finished now. I lost count, but I think it took about 6-8 passes with about 4 different tools to restore the rough rock look to the worked areas.

I also decided the form needed some transition through to the back side:

Sneaky, that stuff is called "artificial sinew" - I don't know what it is usually used for, but you can get it on ebay (I bought enough to last me about 10 years I think)
I just twist as many strands as I need for the weight of my ply, then braid those together. Single strands are also perfect for tricky threading jobs. Size-wise, I think this big boy is the largest stone I have ever carved by a pound or two, and the first BIG jade in about 5 years!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-12-18 00:39 ]

Yeah I use artificial sinew in my Native American stuff too, I don't want to post it here cuz it would bore the S. Pacific homies, lol! I like the earthy toned look! I get it wet and use it to join willow boughs or hold things together, u can sew with it too....

With the delivery of Paipo's latest work I'm sure Sandro (Botticelli) is now green with envy. I hereby christen thee: The birth of Tiki.

P

Oh that's right - it's done now. I suppose I should post a heads-up in the marketplace too...
Thanks Babs, BigT, G, Ben, Sneaky and timid. I guess at any stage it could be considered "finished" - but there were a few little areas here and there that kept needing more attention. The trick with pieces like this is to take it further than it needs to go, then strip it back again, so the form is refined but the surfaces aren't. Confused? Good!

Hmm, now what to do next?

V

Oh man, Paipo - that big piece is magical! It totally looks like something found in an archeological dig. I can see a museum curator pondering the piece: "Yes, one can only imagine why the artist never finished the sculpture - the piece may have been abandoned due to a natural disaster, or perhaps an invading tribe put a stop to the work. Sadly, the true answer is lost to history..."

J

Cue facemelt animation! :o I do not have the words for how beautiful this big piece is! It is like a visual holiday gift for all of TC! Well done, my friend!

Wow!!! Great job Paipo! Perfect! Someone is going to have an heirloom, that sculpture would be the focus of any room or gallery.

B

Wow!

That piece is amazing.

That's the biggest chunk of Jade I've ever seen.

We know you can work super small, and now you can work on big pieces.

How about boulders? I have a few around my backyard I'd let you carve on :)

Hey, how did you folks fair from the quake? Everyone ok?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 9:58 PM

That looks awesome! :D Great idea, and executed perfectly. It's like a snapshot of some ancient moari legened... "Angered at the proliferation of plastic tikis distributed by NZ airlines, the ancient tiki rose from it's earthborne slumber to seek it's revenge. As the tiki rose, an official from the airline dealt a curse to freeze, catching the tiki unaware. It was forever encapsulated in stone, mid getting up... " :lol:

B

Definitely Well Done Mate! Paipo this will be one to remember besides the size, the detail and story it tells will be talked about for a long time. It's Nice to have a large beautiful piece of rock and then an artist with enough balls to do a minimalist sculpt on it and have it come out SO GREAT. You finished it and then Unfinished it to call it finished and I Hope You are confused,,I'm not.
HappyHappyHappy

J

I'm still in awe!

T

Wow! That's cool! Great stuff!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Dec 28, 2007 1:05 AM

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for all the replies! It's exhibition panic mode here at the moment as I desperately try to meet a looming deadline. It's a pretty tough time of year to try and get work done with friends and family staying over and lots of cool summer stuff to partake of. I'm on the wrong island and the opposite coast to where the big recent quake was situated, but I still felt it here. The couch swayed a little, and I looked over towards my mug cabinet (which will start rattling in a decent one), then...nothing.
I do, however, have a new tiki to post - number 42 had to be hidden from public view until after December 25th, but can now be revealed:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 28, 2007 1:53 AM

AWESOME!!!!!

GROG like.

B

Glad to hear you are OK, even though I hadn't seen the news about any big shake-up here.
Skulll-eater is a Beauty, who is the lucky so-in-so who got him for Christmas?

P

GROG! Thanks for dropping by. I just got my latest 3 tiki mags and I'm digging the new format Bamboo Ben (especially when it features one of my tiki heroes - Crazy Al!)
Ben, this one went to Maggie of Velvet Glass. I was a little surprised when Mark asked for this particular design for her, but then looking at all their awesome stuff I see LOTS of skulls and bones, so maybe it wasn't that strange after all!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 28, 2007 1:52 PM

Glad you're liking the Bamboo Ben comic, Paipo. GROG asked Crazy Al about doing a comic of him for the Tiki Magazine at the same time GROG approach B. Ben. But Al never answered back and Ben immediately answered saying, "Hell yeah, let's do this". So, it was nice that they were buddys and GROG got to put Al in the comic.

DAMN YOU MAGGIE OF VELVET GLASS! GROG jealous.
That's one sweet carving there Paipo.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-12-28 13:53 ]

Yes, what a great Christmas present!!!!!!! It was the only thing on my wish list this year. Mr. cheeky half is the best!

Grog, don't be jealous, "It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."

B

Whats up Paips, That giant glob of Jade wear you out? Missin your stuff.l
Oh Yes, I Forgot about the show, How'd it go or how's it Going?

V

oh MAN! Another winner. Nothing like a tiki eating a skull! I gotta do one in clay... As always, I love seeing your work - I hope 2008 is a good one for you (and your creations!)

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 2:34 AM

Freakin' awesome!

C

wow great! the little skull look so dangerous!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 7:20 AM

Dang Paipo! It seems like I get a new favorite every time you do a new one. This is just an incredible piece!

Word.
Awesome there paipo!
From the little indentations around the teeth to the motifs on the head,the way you simplify an object,but still pay attention to little details just adds up to AWESOME!
insert face-melting pic here....

I'm new here, this is my first post.
I thought about registering here, but this thread pushed me.

I really must say, Paipo, all your works are truly inspiring. The quality of your pieces are really something to aspire to. I absolutely love looking at all the works that everybody here has made. Please don't stop!

i've noticed a dearth of new paipo postings.my theory is that paipo sold so much at his show that he was able to retire to a beach and fondle pebbles all day.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2008 2:01 PM

Wow, 4 weeks since I last posted...must be some kind of record? Thanks for all the replies GROG, Maggie, Ben, VanT, Heath, Clarita, Babalu and Kinny!

El Bandito, I'm flattered you chose to make your first post in my thread, even though there's been very little to see in here lately. Welcome aboard the TC tiki train..."We have such sights to show you!"

Prairie jade, I wish it were so, but the first of my 3 shows only just opened a couple of nights ago (in Australia) so it'll be a while before I see the proceeds (if there are any...). Still working on another one to open here in my town next week, then a bigger one "over the hill" at the beginning of March. After that I have nothing booked until September, so look for a whole pile of new tiki creations then.

In the meantime, the shows roll on...I'm thinking I might try and do one or two tiki pieces for this latest one, but no promises - I'm changing my mind on what I make on a daily basis. We'll see what I've got at the end of the week.
I did design myself a new card/logo for my tiki work in anticipation of a big year ahead, loosely based on one of my favourite menu covers in the BoT (apologies for the ugly image compression):

...and while I was searching Ooga-Mooga the other day I noticed something very odd:

I couldn't ask for better company, rubbing elbows with Chongo and Babalu...but where's the mug?!?

R
Robin posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2008 1:46 PM

Best of luck with your shows Paipo....I predict you'll do very well! Nice to have a card per genre too, it's good looking. Looking forward to seeing what you've been about when time allows.

R.

That last "skull eater" pendant is amazing! I really dig the detail on the skull! Your work is so good it gives me chills!

Good luck with the shows!

CA

to the dude who i think made everyone stone 'crazy' on TC:
Your work is 'crazy' and makes me wish I held onto and started using my grandfathers lapidary equipment!! I had no room for it...( I know who has it, I think). My grandfather that I mention in the TikiMag cover article, was also a rock hound. He was an award winning silver smith and stone guy (hobby). Fantastic designer of Men's and Women's jewelry in every stone there is. Most of the rock he collected himself on trips to the southwest US during summer trips down Rout 66 from Chicago. My grandparents house, and my own house, growing up looked like a museum of natural history with all the 'rocks & mineral' display cabinets... fossils, and dried sea life too, even a casting of a dinosaur foot print from Utah. I'd be taken myself to see the footprints in Utah when it seemed I was much older like 9 or 10 years of age.
Back in the early 90's when my folks where deciding what to do with the old equipment, I thought of all the cool stuff to make, and was sick about not taking it, along with the pounds (tons) of stone. However, I've yet to use any of the pounds of what I did take, Apache Tears!, tumbled Obsidian (volcanic glass). Polished an intense shinny black, they're a smokey green when held to the light. Someday, someday, I'll carve or cast something for these to be set in... someday.
Ooooo... maybe there is a commission here? Apache Tears from Arizona carved in the Islands... for me....from AZ! hmmmmm....

any way, I really applaud your work and appreciate it. My Grandpa would be proud! all I really wanted to say before TC fearer took over, was...

Rocks Rule!!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-02-07 09:52 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 1:51 AM

Man, another 2 weeks without any action! I'm pleased to say I've finally got something new to post, but first - thanks to Robin, TikiShark and C'Al for calling by. I've had a good response to the first couple of shows and it looks like we might be opening a few more doors ("we" meaning our ever-changing little collective that shows together regularly). I had a fantastic opening night here in my hometown, where I haven't shown a decent amount of new work since way back when Tama and I used do 2 man shows. :music: Memories....
Many thanks to the man himself for showing up on Friday for the opening too!

Crazy Al - awesome story! I think these things have more influence on us in our later years than we realise. The lapidary club/rockhounding heyday was very much in step with with Tiki - it really flourished in the 50s and 60s, being another popular form of post-war escapism for the well-heeled suburbanite. Then it faded out for a while and is just now starting to make a resurgence again. I worked for a guy who was a total "old-schooler" and he taught me more in 6 months than I managed in 2 years at rock school. He had spent many years in the club scene and had an incredible museum in his basement, which I looked into from the carving studio. He also had decades worth of old Lapidary Journals in big hardbound volumes which I pored over for endless hours (I had nothing else to do!)
I have carved and fossicked for obsidian in the North Island and it can be tricky stuff to work with (essentially being glass) but the results are spectacular. I'd love to see the Apache Tears, and anytime you get an idea for something to do with them, you know where to find me! Maybe you could figure some way to use them as pupils in one of your big guys...possibly backlit?

So, on to the new work I mentioned...this is a quick carving (ie about half what I'd usually spend on a regular piece) just to get back into the tiki Groove after so long using different tools and techniques. The shape I wanted was already in the stone, so it ended up being more engraved than carved. He was meant to be a fairly standard Rei-Puta design but sort of evolved (if you can call it that) into something different. Something...strange:

The Pebble is argillite, which didn't behave quite the same as my usual greywacke, and the eyes are black jade. More to come soon?

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-02-08 01:59 ]

T

I think I've seen this face before . . . somewhere around Roswell???

T

Ahhhh . . . there he is again . . .

B

Well he Certainly IS Strange but in a Very Pleasing way. I Love how you used minimal lines and detail to create this guy and take full potential of the stone. Very Well Done as usual from our favorite rock star!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies