Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 5:54 PM

Looks great, especially on that fern bed

B

Bravo,

Your last creation is just amazing, Paipo. The smooth of the curves, the alliance of the bird and the moai is simply beautiful.

Thank you so much for the titles of the books. I'm about to change my flat for a bigger (because a more little would be impossible :lol: ) and I fear about lost books with the french mailing ... But, by the end of february, I think I will spend a lot of money to break my present frustration. I even feel the drool falling from my wide opened mouth by thinking of these books :)

Benjamin.

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-02-10 09:41 ]

My goodness...what beautiful friends you make from stones. Beautiful!!! :tiki:

H
harro posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2007 2:19 PM

hey paipo - you can never have enough Rapa Nui moai's my friend!!
excellent work as usual, i find myself wondering what you will come up with next!!
cheers,
harro

P

I need to reply to this thread more often! I was waiting to have something more to post, so here I am.

Tama, cheers for the nice words, and yep, this guy is a hybrid of moai and tangata manu. As little lost tiki mentioned it's loosely based on a carving I found online somewhere:

As for the Grand Membership, it's a way of giving something back to Hanford for running this site - well worth it for all TC has to offer. I"m sworn to secrecy about what goes on in the GCFoM however...you'll just have to become one to find out!
PS I'll bring a spare tiki mug if you're going to be at "Island Night".....

Benz, I can see why you keep making these guys again and again - they're addictive like candy and you always want to do just one more...the more I carve these and study them the more subtleties of design I can see. I think I need to do about another 5-6 to really get what I'm after and see the true "Paipo Moai" happening...

llt, not too long and Mr. SUPERBITCHEN will be coming to visit you in person (?)! Better have some Melvins on the stereo when he arrives!

sneaky, JP and hewey...thanks for the comps. Hope you like today's progress pics...

Benjamin, let me know if you want any other recommendations. There are literally dozens of good books on Maori Art that I would class as "must-haves".

Vampy, thanks for stopping in, always nice to see a new face around here, especially a fellow Bond fan.

Harro, haven't seen you around much lately...what's been happening?

On to the next stage of the Moai Tangata Manu. As always (apart from the last one) I'm just making this guy up as I go. The depth of the stone means I'll have to carve the whole face as the back side is visible through the "beak hole":

B

Fantastic.

J

Wow, Paipo! That Tangata Manu/Moai is just beautiful. LLT is a lucky guy! Hopefully I'll get to see it in person someday since it's coming to live in California!

B

Paipo, this guy is Really a challenge that will step you up a few notched when you are through.
You were right on about every one that you carve opening more chapters in the unbelievable subtleties that make up the Moai. from the very first thoughts of "this'll be pretty easy, can't be too complicated" to the second realization (even before the rough out is half way)of" Darn, these guys are not as easy as they looked", to the Next realization of " Man, I HOPE I can finish this guy, Crap, I Posted it, Dang I Gotta finish it" to the next and so on it keeps going. And when you think you have him pretty much all figured out, you decide to Change it to suit your style and realize "darn thats not that easy,,,"
And so goes Moai carving IF you do a few. The more you do the more you learn about accurate human anatomy and the more respect you have for the RapaNui Ancients.

After all that, (Don't know how YOU started me on That road!), your Moai are really getting exciting looking. I Love the chances you are taking with them,And in STONE Even, forever there for All to see!
can't wait to see how this guy finishes. He's Already got a Super proud air about him.

C

Moai Tangata Manu is so great and original! it looks very difficult to make, congrats
Keep Rocking!!

C'mon Paip! I dont believe you can go ten days without a bit of tiki-action; where's it at..?

Tama :)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2007 1:02 PM

Thanks benella and Jen....I hope this guy will be on his way to California pretty soon!
Benz, I will definitely be doing many more of these guys as time goes on. What I really need to do is some first-hand research on Rapa Nui itself. Failing that, I'm trying to organise a museum expedition to check out some treasures from the vault.
Clarita, the only difficulty is that big beak, which is preventing me from getting the tools onto the face so I'm having to alter my techniques a little to get around it.
Tama - I have been working on this guy - probably quite a bit of progress since the last pics, and also adding more tiki ideas to my "fishbowl", but I just don't seem to have found the time to take pics lately or reply to many threads here. A couple more big orders to do and then the tikis will come back to the top for a while. A pity you couldn't make Island Night - it was lots of fun but had a pretty meagre turnout. Way too many other events and parties on in the G-town on Saturday!
Jonesey, I have been getting in plenty of water time. I had one of the best experiences of my life sharing the waves with a pod of Hector's dolphins the other week and the water is bath-warm. Interestingly, I have a couple of ideas brewing similar to the pic you posted!
I will get some new pics of the Birdmoai today!

paipo man that is pretty awsome. that is such a cool design.
great work keep posting

J

On 2007-02-24 22:56, Tamapoutini wrote:
C'mon Paip! I dont believe you can go ten days without a bit of tiki-action; where's it at..?

Tama :)

Yeah, holding out? This is one of my favorite threads.

JP

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2007 5:45 PM

Looking great man - the moai is reborn again! :)

B

More Moai. This guy again is top notch Sweet!
I think you must have an Inner connection with Rapanui and I think that your Moai carvings are going to be increasingly superiorand will become a staple in your rock arsenel. I know you don't want to hear that, but already you have become comfortable enough with the structure to experiment, and when that happens, the results can be really, really nice.
Get pictures when you go to then "Vault"?

F

Paipo
What stunning carving, the piece looks almost polished in places, was the photo taken wet or have you sanded the piece in places.
Excellent detail
Regards
Flynny

P

OK, a little later than I said, but finally an update! Thanks for the encouragement Duddy, Johnny, hewey, Benz and Flynny - got some more pics for you all. I'm really taking it slow and easy with this one. I am kind of sanding and then recarving bits that aren't quite how I want them. So many corrections to constantly make to get the character and "feel" right!
Flynny, yes - the last pics were taken wet, although usually I do them when dry so that nothing is concealed. Benz, I think there will be plenty more of these to come. I've learned a few more major lessons from this one !
Much cleaning up on the face, even though very little has gone - plus I cut the arm so I can do the detailed shaping on the chest & belly....

Most of the natural surface and outline of the original pebble remains - I chose this stone as I really liked the gentle curve and taper it had. I love the Rapa Nui carvings made from curved branches where they have used the natural form of the material to dictate the design.

I had to carve the back side so the face looks right from this angle...

ECU:

B

Very nice work, Paipo.
You put a smile on my face today :)

J'adore.

C

Really Beautiful! Paipo, Congrats!

B

Paipo, Excellent updates. Ah the fun, I mean THE Fun of carving is to be able to let the piece evolve with tweaks and changes, sometimes so subtle it seems they wouldn't make a difference,, But they Do, All of them together. It's all about light and shadows and it never seems to be just perfect so you keep trying to make it so. Your "Moai Lessons" are priceless because theywork in All your art. This guy is really looking Great!

B

Paipo,

Just wonderful!

I can see where you were influenced by the stone....superb subject in this one.

Best,

J

Tama's not the only one with beautiful people wearing his pendants!

Somehow Little Lost Tiki and I both showed up at the Tonga Hut on Saturday wearing our Crying Ku pendants in coordinating Ebony and Ivory finishes!

Ken appears to be practicing his own Crying Ku expression.

paipo excellent work i just love all your moais keep up the good work

T

White and Black

Good vs. Evil :)

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 12:43 PM

Thanks Benjamin, Clarita, Benz, babalu, Jen , Marcus and teakey...rolling on with some more pics, we're at the stage now where very little happens between sets but the finish line draws ever nearer....
Funny how he's starting to look like the twin brother of my last moai...I can also see some Benzart influence creeping through!

Outrageously wonderful stuff Paip! Very, very, very nice. Please let me know before you post it off, Id really like to cast my eye over it before you do. A beautiful original!

We talk of work 'taking on life' but how're those two in the US? Holding there own reunions already! :lol:

(I bet lil Scarlett was the belle of Island Nite!) :wink:

Tama

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 2:03 PM

Smooth man. Very nice

TD

oh MAN that looks amazing! wow thats a great piece of work. hey if you made more of those how much would you charge for them?
id buy one if i could.
great GREAT stuff

B

Definitely an Advanced piece of work. I think you Really out tid yourself on this guy. I am Very Very Happy for you having met the challenge on this guy. I Know it was difficult.
HappyHappyHappy

H
haikai posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 1:31 AM

That´s unbelievable, Paipo! I don´t find the right words. Perhaps.... wonderful!
It´s great that you create always different designs. So your thread is always interesting
and surprise me. Keep it up! Greetings, Haikai

I don't get the chance to visit TC much anymore but when I do I always check out your thread. I love your stuff bro.

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 9:20 PM

Great looking Moai design, Paipo. Very high class for what is sometimes referred to as "primitive art".

I have to check your thread more often. You made this one when I wasn't looking!

Love the pendant, you are quite an artist, love it!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

J

On 2007-03-02 05:34, FLOUNDERart wrote:
..... I always check out your thread. I love your stuff bro.

Ditto. You and Tama have been a great influence here.

JP

M
molly posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 10:54 PM

wow, only just stumbled across this forum and im in love! Amazing stuff guys!
I was wondering if you can help me,
I was in NZ learning to carve a few years ago, and had the pleasure of using the same hand piece you mentioned the NSK nakanishi…and it’s brilliant. Was wondering for a newbie like me is it worth forking out the money for, or can you recommend something a bit more affordable. Also wondering where I can buy the nakanishi from and what model you recommend.
Thanks heaps
molly

hi Paipo! beautiful! Original and exotic, I love it...

Amy

B

Paipo? You and Tama off on a secret trip somewhere? No worries.

O

The moai are beautiful.

B

Very nice work Paipo, this moai seems to be your interpretation of a kava kava moai, isn't it?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 4:43 AM

It has been March 7th over on this thread for a week and we are only on March 6th here today? How does this date-line work? Or are you in some parallel space/time void?

Love the headgear....

-G

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 12:43 PM

I forgot about that...I guess that's why there are so many replies. Always one step ahead here in NZ!
Yep, I'm away (again) in the big city for another opening and some family business - back home with an update soon! Thanks everybody!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 3:57 AM

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread, life has got away on me recently and it's been hard to keep up with everything that's happening around here. There is so much good stuff being made here and barely enough time to take it all in (or respond adequately to it). Thanks Benz, Tama, Flounder, hewey, Duddy, haikai, tikidav, Mookie, Johnny, Kinny, Benjamin, G, Amy, molly and tikitanked for stopping in - I'll try to answer the questions:

On 2007-03-04 22:54, molly wrote:
Was wondering for a newbie like me is it worth forking out the money for, or can you recommend something a bit more affordable. Also wondering where I can buy the nakanishi from and what model you recommend.
Thanks heaps
molly

Welcome to TC Molly. Where did you learn to carve in NZ?
Regarding handpieces, it depends how serious you are about carving I guess. Will you make enough to pay back at least some of what you spend on the machine? Air or flexishaft handpieces like the Foredom are a pretty viable option if you want to spend hundreds rather than thousands.

On 2007-03-06 01:43, benella wrote:
Very nice work Paipo, this moai seems to be your interpretation of a kava kava moai, isn't it?

Just a regular moai this time, but the moai kavakava is on the cards - soon!

On 2007-03-01 16:14, Tiki Duddy wrote:
hey if you made more of those how much would you charge for them?
id buy one if i could.

I honestly couldn't put a value on this one. I have no idea how many hours I've put into it....

Meanwhile, back at Moai Central, I'm closer still, but still not done. I think all that's left to go is some feathers on the wing. the next lot of pics will definitely be the final set. I still gotta leave some gas in the tank for another Rapa Nui inspired piece for the tiki swap and the month is speeding by....

Reverse Side:

Didn't manage a good shot from this angle. Finally gave him a mouth:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
this carving makes me smile so hard my face just cracked!!!!! You are a Master of Minerals my friend!

I want one!

Amy

I can't even believe how cool that looks! Will he be strung as a pendant? Just awsome, and I mean that in the truest sense of the word.

H

Wow man, that looks soooo good! Top o' the line work, for sure. You're a natural. I think some people are just born with it ---runs in their blood. Maybe it's something in the water down there. You ever thought about bottling that stuff and selling it to some of us 'fumble-fingered' carvers????

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies