Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

B

Mana, shmana, bananna, bowanna, Crying, Lying dying and spying, whatz the big deal about some little rock that crys? Izzit cuz he has jade eyes, No izzit cuz he should be the proud , fierce KU, fearless and unable to back down from anyone or anything?
What izzit then that makes this little rock get all the respece of sumpthin he's not?
His Maker is Paipoooo, from the Underside of the world, where he may have learned from the "Underworld" the secrets of the World, or how else could you explain his fascination and command over the Lowly rock. How does he broil his magical stones into those unbelievable shapes we call tiki and others. Listen up good you who are wondering about how to do this ind of dark art yerown self...STAY AWAY From it lest it eat uyou alive and become food for the dark ones who are the beasts of Paipos bidding. Beware! Get one if you can but shy away when called by that voice to Make yerown. Take heed and buy all u can and when you get one IF you are able, then lock it away,deep in the darkest part of your lower rooms. Careful now.
Can you put me on the list?

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 8:41 PM

On 2006-10-11 18:29, Benzart wrote:
His Maker is Paipoooo, from the Underside of the world, where he may have learned from the "Underworld" the secrets of the World, or how else could you explain his fascination and command over the Lowly rock. How does he broil his magical stones into those unbelievable shapes we call tiki and others. Listen up good you who are wondering about how to do this ind of dark art yerown self...STAY AWAY From it lest it eat uyou alive and become food for the dark ones who are the beasts of Paipos bidding. Beware! Get one if you can but shy away when called by that voice to Make yerown. Take heed and buy all u can and when you get one IF you are able, then lock it away,deep in the darkest part of your lower rooms. Careful now.
Can you put me on the list?

Benzart has finally cracked and lost it... :)

But he still retains the sanity to try and bump himself up Paipos list :)

Even the bread and butter stuff is sweet man

T

Found a cool link today about carving stone.

http://www.sculptor.bc.ca/pages/hints.html

Check it out...

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 1:37 PM

Thanks limptiki...Ku is now on his way to you...keep an eye on your mailbox in around a week. I'm happy for people to have some input, as tikis are very personal pieces.

McTiki...you sound like Yoda: "Much mana has this tiki, young carver" - are you from the Dagobah system perchance? :)

Benz....whoah! I told you not to drink that green rum - now look what you've gone and done....or maybe it was the green stone? I have met a few people round these parts who have fallen under its spell, and they have never been the same again! Let this serve as a warning to the rest of you....if it's not too late!
If you do want in on "the list", which is still in its infancy, you're most welcome - as is anyone else. I don't like to blatantly plug my stuff, but if you order a tiki, it's one less "bread and butter" piece I have to make to pay my bills, and we all know the world could use more tikis....
As a rough guideline, I presently have about 3 or 4 weeks of work on backorder. I can probably still get pieces made in time for Christmas if needed...

Thanks for the feedback on the regular gig hewey, to me it's kinda boring sometimes, but at least it's my boring stuff...I used to carve much worse things when I was a commercial lapidary.

On 2006-10-12 13:25, tikigap wrote:
Found a cool link today about carving stone.

http://www.sculptor.bc.ca/pages/hints.html

Check it out...

His work is nice enough, but there is very little detailed information and not a single pic on his entire "how-to" page.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-10-12 13:47 ]

P

A bit more done on the moai...cleaned up the head somewhat, and shaped the torso:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 4:25 AM

When I read the title of your post, I thought you killed him! He looks ok, right? No major chunks fall off?

-Gman

Me too... Thought he broke apart on you..

Looks great!

B

I didn't read that anywhere, I think you guyz need your eyes checked! The Moai is lookin' good,Paipo!
must have been eating that gerrn stone dust the other day or just taken too many meds, Strange I Felt good. Actually I "Lost" it a Long time ago and every once in awhile I sit down and try to remember what "IT" was that I lost, but I'm sure it's gone because i surely can't find it anywhere. I'm Cracked for sure andit's all spilling out to be lost forever, so whatever you do Don't lose yours, because once it's gone, it's gone forever, even if someone else finds it, cuz they won't give it back for sure.
Wheres that bag of stuff??

must have been eating that gerrn stone dust the other day...

Wheres that bag of stuff??

*Could be greenstone dust, the Chinese & the Meso-Americans used to mix a cocktail with it to cure kidney-troubles.

Now whats in that bag..??!! hehe

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2006-10-13 12:36 ]

J

On 2006-10-12 23:57, Paipo wrote:
A bit more done on the moai...cleaned up the head somewhat, and shaped the torso:

I thought he broke as well when I first saw your post earlier this morning. Then I was very pleasently surprized to see how perfect he looked. Very well executed.

JP

C'Mon Paipo - Whats the NEWS..??

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 4:22 AM

Well, I did make another crybaby...but this one is flesh and blood rather than stone!
Much respect and aroha to Mrs. Paipo who did all the hard work on this one...

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 4:31 AM

Congrats Dad! Have you decided on a name? Is everyone doing well?

-Gman

T

Congratulations on the new addition to your family Paipo... Hope everyone is doing great!

Tikisgrl

B

Woah, Carving Stone, makin tikis and all sorts of stuff and now you're makin babies too? Big Congrats to the both of you. Have you put the tools in the babies hands yet? can't wait to see her/his first rock carving.
Oh yeah, the Moai is looking great too.

big congrats to you and the mrs. on baby paipo!

DONT EAT THE BABY!!! hahaha

(Im sure Daddy-Paipo is going to have his hands full for the immediate future so Im going to drop the name, hope thats cool P! Were all excited for you!!)

Havent met the lovely lady yet but her name is... SCARLETT

Welcome to the world sweetheart!

Congrats again Rhys & Lara!!! Andy

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 2:42 PM

After what I saw, the next one may be a tiki giving birth to another tiki!
Thanks all - as Tama (might see you later today mate?) said, the young lady is named Scarlett, and has lovely hands with long delicate fingers - perfect for plaiting cords for tikis! She will be introduced to tiki from an early age...here's the nursery:

Feature wall with tiki painting by Zena Elliott, tivaevae cushion covers from Rarotonga. Just to the left is Daddy's collection of books on Oceanic and Maori Art and carving...(there's a BoT in there somewhere too)

Cot with Hibiscus print blanket from Rarotonga

J

Good morning! And congradulations again!

J

Congratulations Paipo! Scarlett is a lucky little lady to have such a great dad! Here's wishing everyone is doing well and getting to know each other.

Carved up a baby, eh? congratulations!

B

Beautiful name for a beautiful red headed girl. With Scarlett, you will have your hands full. Be ready to give her full reign.
I think I see your BoT, upper shelf , far right.
perfect nursery.

H

Congratulations, on the new arrival. Great fabric print and colors on that baby blanket.

H

Congrats on the new arrival!

Congrats to you and the Missus! Great nursery too!

F

Congratulations Paipo. Health Wealth and Happiness to you all
Regards
Flynny

CONGRATS Paipo!

Biggest hugs to you, da Mrs and lil' Miss Scarlett! WOW what a good Daddy you are too, nice baby's room...something missing though? Where's her little Playskool work bench, big plastic squeeky Dremel tool and bucket of beach stones anyway??? C'mon now, a kid needs something to play with!!! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

:lol: NOW GET BACK TO WORK!

B

One more thing I almost forgot, Don't let the TIKI Eat the Baby!

C

Congrats on the new arrival!! The room is really cool too!Best wishes!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 7:33 PM

congrats again Paipo!

Just returned from meeting the lovely lady... Without a doubt Paipos sweetest creation yet! (though he did have help...) :)

There's already discussion as to the dowry for when she & my son wed (all part of a long-term plan... Just think what great carvers the GRANDCHILDREN would make!) haha

Well done again guys! Love ya. Andy

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 2:33 AM

Thanks Johnny, Jen, Poly, Benz, hil, Heath, Sneaky, flynny, Jonesey, clarita, hewey and of course Tama, who brought us a very cool present today on his visit. We are very appreciative of all the good wishes and aloha spirit that has been sent our way!

I will try very hard to post some tiki progress tomorrow - Mrs. Paipo and Miss Scarlett are home now so we'll see how much I get done... :)

B

HappyHappyHappy.
Take some well deserved R&R.
You're welcome.

this message is for paipo and tama. i'd like to thank both of you kiwis for adding greatly to my enjoyment of tiki central. welcome to a beautiful world, scarlett! happy, happy, happy!!! :D :D :D

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 6:11 PM

Haha, well I'm trying to work Benz...so far I've managed half an hour on the rock saw and it's mid afternoon! I really need to be carving , but visitors and baby will keep me inside for few more days I think. First night wasn't too sleepless - I'll think I'll get the hang of this.
Thanks Bullet - I'm glad our down-under style of tiki has caught your fancy. When are you going to break the 1000 mark on Ooga-Mooga? I keep watching your score for it to tick over - it might take me a while to catch up to you!

On 2006-10-16 18:11, Paipo wrote:
First night wasn't too sleepless - I'll think I'll get the hang of this.

Tama sez: hahaha... Ill call you in a couple of months!! hahaha...

No Thank YOU Bullet! It was you that lead me to all this Tiki Wonderous-ness! :)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 1:56 PM

Finally, carving again! Not much tiki action, but I have some new ones coming up on the queue soon. I did do a little more on the moai, not that you'd know it...man, these guys can eat up some time! I wanted a really nice curvature and defintion on the torso and arms, which are probably the last thing I'll do. I also spent more time defining the areas where the neck meets the chin and chest. Finally, I took a bit off the bottom end so he can stand proud as a moai should!

Here's something else - I was talking about these with hewey the other night and seeing Tama's new big-ass hei-tiki reminded me about them. Two 2 foot CNC-cut green marble hei tiki - these are going to be "wall pendants" with giant plaited cords. They are on the "some day" list at the moment, as I will need to set up a bit of stuff to be able to work on them. They're hard to photograph because of the mirror polish which I will sandblast off. That's a wine bottle in between them:

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 1:59 PM

Dang Paipo! That's some bling-bling! If you make 'em...I'll wear one!

-G

B

Yeah and I'll wear the other one, or maybe it wil wear me.
Cool stuff Paipo and Yes the Moai is lookin better.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 3:16 PM

[Hewey looks Paipo up and down]

Well it sure is big mister...

Maybe a pair of earrings for a full-sized Moai? :)

(I wondered when these might make an appearance!)

Little Moai looking good!! T3

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 9:39 PM

Thanks G, Benz, hewey and Tama...I'll post a pic of me wearing one of the oversized hei-tiki when complete - they do weigh about 10kg each!
More time on the moai today - again, for not much visible progress! More cleanup on the face and ears, slightly repositioned the mouth and cut the arms. His spirit is starting to manifest now, which may give me enough motivation to get this thing finished!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-10-19 03:57 ]

NICE!!! That Moai is unbelievable, the amount of detail on a piece that size and made of stone too? Unreal!

ST

Moai's looking great! And can't wait to see you start on those big honkin Maori Wall Hangings! Master of the Craft you Are,young Jedi!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-10-18 22:40 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 6:14 AM

Yes, very talented is he. Much to be learned from him, young Skywalker....

B

Yes Paipo, he is starting to really look Proud, kind of like a royal Butler. cool.

J

The never ending Moai? Looks like you are progressing on it rather fast. And incredibly accurate also.

JP

On 2006-10-16 18:11, Paipo wrote:
First night wasn't too sleepless - I'll think I'll get the hang of this.

Where's Paip..? :) Tama The Terrible!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies