Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 2:14 PM

It's just one of my miserly tobacco "toothpicks" which I cadged off Tama all night (the curse of hard liquor...rekindling old habits!)...but I see how it could be misconstrued! :lol:

ST

Paipo,

Got my swap pendant today. Thanks a ton, I'll wear it with pride.

B

Indeed, a lot of work there, men.
Isn't it the moko moai from Sir Benzart in the background ?
A stupid (second) question: do you (Paipo or Tama) use chisels to carve stones?
Very nice pix however.
Cheers

Benjamin.

Great pix. Good to see the artistic camraderie. Nice tiki collection Tama! Nice spliff ..er ciggy too. Something tells me I'd better finish that pipe now. (:

C

Cheers Tiki friends!!

J

Aloha Paipo,
Greetings from the Forbidden Island Anniversary Party!
Wish you were here!
Cheers,
Putorino and Bumatay (and Jen and Cleen too)

F

Paipo
Pisco's for creativity, a bucket of Pounamu and 8 days since you posted. You workin on somtin special!!!!!!!
Regards
Flynny

paipo paipo where are you paipo

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 6:53 PM

Surf tiki, glad to hear your guy arrived safe and sound. Looks like he was one of the first to arrive even though he had a long way to travel!

On 2007-04-17 05:03, benella wrote:
Isn't it the moko moai from Sir Benzart in the background ?
A stupid (second) question: do you (Paipo or Tama) use chisels to carve stones?

Yep, it sure is...Tama and I spent quite some time ogling it and commenting on the subtle nuances whilst soaking our brains in Pisco.
We don't use chisels for the stones we're posting here, but do use them on limestone which is pretty popular in NZ for larger sculptures. I have a big block earmarked for a tiki that will undoubtedly appear here someday.

Sneaky, I can see I'm digging myself a hole here with my denials, so I'll let everyone assume what they like about our evening's festivities :wink: I have carved a few stone pipes myself from the beach stones which work quite nicely...or so I've been told!

Hey Clarita, thanks for stopping in again. Looks like you've been having some good tiki times in Argentina lately too!

Jen, those little guys look pretty happy to be hanging out together enjoying the celebratory vibe. Wish I could have been there too! Maybe the 3rd aniversary for me?

Flynny, Marcus, yes I'm here, and yep, I've been working...as for something special - not really! I have a few interesting projects up my sleeve but I've decided to only post progress shots of finished items from now on, so will post larger groups of pics less often!
I have also been getting the last of my orders out for the galleries (thankfully now finished). It's now my time in terms of making whatever I want (as long as it sells!) and tikis and jade will be a part of that. In the meantime, here's a couple of quickies I did the other day - traditional Maori designs in glass and jade. The one on the right is a teething stone for Miss Scarlett:

This one isn't tiki but is one I was really happy with. It's a remake of a piece from an exhibition Tama and I recently participated in - the original was damaged when the plinth it was in got knocked over by a school group. Two natural beach pebbles - one jade, one greywacke:

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-04-24 19:02 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 7:27 PM

A teething stone? No kidding? Wow!

I dig the remake. Is the jade all the way down in there/is the greywacke totally hollowed out? Crazy man!

-G

That pebble in a pebble is really beautiful. Are you for real on the teething? Wouldn't that grind down the teeth? Nice pieces.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 7:39 PM

Cheers G - yep, scooped out and fitted in quite precisely...much better than the first one that got broken. A loop of the cord goes in the top and through the jade pebble to keep it in nice and tight.
Sneaky, it's mainly for the pre-tooth stage I think...I guess she won't bite on it so much when they're out?
I don't know a lot about it, but have been assured it's OK?!

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-04-24 19:43 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 7:47 PM

Paip,

I think you should pass on giving her the teething stone - could be dangerous! Send it to me and I will hold it for her until she is old enough not to be "harmed" by it......

-G

On 2007-04-24 19:47, GMAN wrote:
Paip,

I think you should pass on giving her the teething stone - could be dangerous! Send it to me and I will hold it for her until she is old enough not to be "harmed" by it......

-G

G-Man,

No way Beavis, I saw it first! uh huh hu.....

Paipo,

Glad to hear all is well with the babe then. Just wasn't sure if you were having one on with us. Nice teether/gummer!

ST

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 4:45 AM

Yeh that pebble pebble is sweet :D

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 5:13 AM

Ahoy Paipo,

That there glass hei-matau is very nice!

The pounamu kapeu is beautiful too!

How did you do the glass matau? Did you poor the glass into a hook-shaped mold, or grind the glass into the hook shape? It's very beautiful.
It brings back happy memories of beach-combing the rocky beaches of the Orkney Isles off the top of Scotland many years ago. In between the pebbles I'd find interesting wave-smoothed bits of glass from ancient bottles. I knew it was old glass because of the obvious smoothness of the pieces, which I guessed would take some time, plus the thickness of the glass was a dead give-away. Due to modern economics, thick glass bottles just aint that common no more! Ah, the shapes I'd find! I once found a lovely glass nose! Good times... :)

B

Yeah Paipo, the hook is cool(glass?)I mean Way COOL and the Teether is beautifully interesting and very logical. BUT, the double Pebble REALLY Takes the Cake! That is a Truely Eerie piece of art. I Really love/fear it as it could really house some unearthly being sent here to spy on us or something. Do you Remember creating it? Was it one of those pieces you did but don't recall much about Doing it? Whatever, I really am Drawn to it and Must have it for further studies. You know where to send it. When I get it all figured out I'll return it along with my findings so that everyone will know what it is all about. :) :) :)

F

Great stuff Paipo, I particularly like the Jade pebble / stone piece. keep up the great work.
Regards
Flynny

Like everyone else I love the stone in stone piece. The teething stone is good stuff too, necessary really. 'Course Anbesol will help once she cuts her chompers through her gums.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 1:55 PM

Thanks all - G, Sneaky, hewey, Tipua, Benz, Flynny and Reid- I'm hoping to have some more stuff coming soon once I get back from yet another trip away. I have so many almost done pieces it's killing me!

Tipua, you're spot-on - the hook is carved the same way I carve stone, but the intention is to create an object that looks like that beach-tumbled glass you like so much (as I do). I used to find a lot of it around here, but it has become really scarce lately much like the jade pebbles. I have used it for years in my work as it complements the stone nicely.

Benz, the pebble/pebble was just a quick idea I made to make up numbers for a show last year. I'm actually very happy the first one broke as this remake is exactly how I envisioned it, but didn't have the time to get just right the first time.

Seems I've been getting a lot of repairs due to mishaps lately...this one below was in a bike accident. The horizontal shell rod was missing, and the whole piece and cord were encrusted with blood. Seems the missing piece ended up inserted in the wearer to the tune of 10 stitches! Easily the most unpleasant job I've had to do, but the fact the guy still loved his piece was the reason I decided to do the repair....

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-04-26 13:56 ]

B

Well you Certainly got it right THIS Time, Beautiful.
I can see why the guy loves the piece so much. It is Very unusual and is something the neighbor Definitely doesn't have. Sweet.

ST

quote: "simple stuff"

There is nothing simple about carving a rock. It's a rock for Christ's sake. They're like as hard as... stone. All of the new stuff is very cool. I think I may need to find myself one of them there hooks one day. Or try to make one, I have a lot of scaps left over from the swap. Hmmm..add that to the project list.

P...?

T :)

B

P....?

T....?

G too..?

B :) :)

P
Paipo posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 1:14 PM

Stuff coming...soon! I almost made an all-new piece from scratch the other day and worked well into the night but didn't quite get there. I've decided to only post pics of stuff once it's finished (I'll still show the progress) so there will be posts of lots of pics less often. There could well be 3 finished tikis in the next couple of days with a bit of luck. I'm babysitting around 2 full days a week now Mrs Paipo has returned to the workforce, as well as helping a friend renovate his house 1 day a week!

H
Heath posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 2:53 PM

So, what's the problem? You don't need to sleep, that's what coffee is for. :lol:
Looking forward to the posts!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 6:49 PM

It's been so long since I posted a finished tiki I can't even remember when it was! I'm not managing to get quite as much carving time as I'd like lately, but I will be seriously getting back into tiki work over the coming months now we're on the verge of winter (or in the thick of it going by today).

I have made progress on some of the older unfinished pieces from earlier in the thread and I'll post them soon, but in the meantime I started this guy just the other day. He's a study for some hei-tiki ideas I'm playing around with, and I will probably use a simple face similar to the 4th pic for the full bodied version. I have been looking at a few old pieces where the eyes are suggested by the form and shadows of the face, rather than being actually carved or inlaid into the surface, and I really like the effect.

#23...."????"...name to be confirmed!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 6:54 PM

Very Nice Paipo! I love the brow and the eyes. A very sharp look! These stones are great. I'll be looking forward to seeing the full bodied carving.

-G

B

Now THAT's What I'm talkin' About!. You are a glutton for punishment I see. This guy is Just Terriffic and I really think you gained a few notches of respect. I'm Lustin after this guy for sure!

That's looking really sweet. I'm getting tiki/celtic from the mouth and tiki/fang mask/moai/Paipo stizzle from the upper face. Outtasite!!

H

It´s unbelievable how accurately you work. Great job! You create the most extraordinary pendants I have ever seen. I´m looking forward to hold one in my hands. Mahalo!

B

WOW, very cool moko on that one, Paip'
I love it and the inlay too

P

Thanks G, the brow is what I pretty uch designed this whole piece around...that and the nose were the only things I drew in before I started. All the other stuff was made up as I went!

Benz, I am a glutton for punishment! This guy got me trapped in the shed for a good few hours and I even pulled a late night session, which is something I haven't done for a long time. Nothing but tikis on the radar now for while!

Sneaky, I was going for Paipo-ised pseudo-Maori, kinda like my "Tuwhitu" I did a while back. Using the Aotearoa vibe but without copying any of the old pieces or treading on anyone's toes. I was going to do some more detailed moko but decided it would be too much like an old piece, and the next version of this will be much more abstracted still.

Haikai, it'd be great for you to hold one of these in your hands. Anytime you want to work out a trade let me know and we'll talk tiki. I've been loving the stuff you're posting lately!

Thanks Benjamin, glad you like the technical aspects of this piece. I spent a large chunk of the time this guy took doing the final detailing and the inlay.

This lil' fella now has a name too..."Ariki", and due to my recent purchase of some new toolz is up on the block as we speak...details in the Marketplace :wink:

T
Tipua posted on Sat, May 12, 2007 4:03 AM

Te-Ariki-a-Paipo is perfecto!

Your symmetry is just faultless! I can't even THINK symmetrical let alone carve like that!
That mouth is really good. I'm going to have to use your Ariki as a guide for my future stone carvings if you don't mind!
Amazing!

B

Paipo, your "Ariki" is another amongst your best. It seems lately that ALL your peices are "Among your best", and that you just don't do normal stuff any more. This guy Sizzles the mind and has a real Haunting look about him. Wish I could afford him.
Whats Next? I Love the sounds of "Nothing but tikis on the radar now for while!", a;though I'm not sure my heart will be able to stand it. BRING It ON!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 1:32 AM

Cheers Tipua. Symmetry? Don't look too close...

Benz, it's always cool to hear your encouragement. I hope the latest one will be my best each time I finish them up. Some make me happier than others, but I always try to at least try something new, whether it be technique or design.

Here's one that had been on the backburner for quite some time - I had trouble working out where to go with him, due to my policy of doing virtually no drawing or preplanning and pretty much making these up as I go. Fortunately I had a breakthrough of sorts today and got it finished.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it's drilled right through from end to end, and hollowed out extensively in the mouth (for obvious reasons!). The tongue locks in tight against the roof of the mouth. The arm holes and eyes are also drilled through to meet the interior space.
He's loosely based on the putorino and also some bone chests I've seen.

Sorry about the lack of progress pics on this one...no batteries and no time to stop anyway!

#24 "Wahangu"

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-05-15 01:46 ]

B

Paaipo, This guy is WIKID KOOL. The tongue mechanics deserves a patent on it's own. Well worth waiting for and Weellll Done.. I can see others, including ME, wanting to use that configuration in the future. Very Innovative, I'm glad you kept thinking about this one until a solution was found, what ever it was.

NO F*#@ING WAY!! Thats nuts dude. Insanely well done! Stop it. :lol:

TTT :)

Wow, very cool,P. Benz is right, u should get that tongue mechanic patented.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 5:05 AM

"Some make me happier than others, but I always try to at least try something new, whether it be technique or design."

Dang Straight!

This last guy is several steps forward for sure. I love all the neat "concepts" you come up with for these guys. This guy is magnificent and that toungue-piece is fantastic. I'm blown away!

-Gman

ST

Holy shnikeys thats cool!!! Cutting-edge primitive.

YOWZA! YOWZA! YOWZA!

"Hang Tongue" by Paipo...fetishes made to order? :lol:

Sssshhhwwwiiinnnggg-CRACK! It's outta da park!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

I am usually speechless in the "stone" threads but this last one makes me
speechfull...
just to keep it simple let's just say "da best."

Wow!! :o I could never do that in wood, much less stone. Nice work!

Wow!!!

J

Absolutely amazing!!! I can definitely see the Putorino influence, but this is so far beyond that! Well done my friend! :D

P.S. - My lava Tang was a huge hit with the TikiBocce gang this past weekend! Maybe he was the reason I made it to the semi-finals. :wink:

V

Paipo -
That tongue is pure genius! Simply an outstanding design and beautiful execution. I hope someday I get to see one of your mini masterpieces up close!

Mahalo for sharing with us!

Edit - just wanted to add that I've just come back to this post for the 50th time today to sneak another peek at the COOLEST LITTLE TIKI EVER! Whew. Ok... Gotta remain calm....

http://www.vantiki.com

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2007-05-15 19:05 ]

That's friggin mind blowing.

Beautiful work!

How the hell did you thread the braided cord through the back of the tongue?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies