Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 1:22 AM

Cheers hewey. Tangs are just about my favourite tiki type. Maybe a Tang holding a lightsaber would look cool? :wink:

Flynny - patience my friend, we're almost there - I'd like to see those fish-hooks too. What'd you do with that cool Marquesan piece?

Benz, this was the first thing I drew up when I got back from my trip to the islands...I spent a while studying all the pictures of Tangaroa and Staff God carvings I could, then filtered it through the "Paipoiser" to get the design you see. Kind of a mental distillation process. I also had to fit the design around the slabs I got from my Rarotongan basalt. I just wish I'd only done one side because he'd be finished now!

GMAN, yep, it's a great carving medium, I will hook you and Benz up with some of it soon. Unfortunately it doesn't often occur in nice round pebbles, (in fact the one I carved was one of only 2 out of the whole boxful), but more blocky, chunky shapes, but I'm sure you guys will do something cool with it.

Queen Amy, thanks for keeping an eye on the new creations, and for your patience too. I'm going to have a dedicated "TC" week in the workshop very soon.

P

A little more progress on this one, starting to show a bit of character now:

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 7:32 PM

Another work in progress ...remake of the "Micro Marq" in Australian black & NZ green jades, with beach pebble shell:

'Medium-sized Marq'? Seems a bit bigger?

Im guessing the green tape is to remind you which way they line up..?

Tama

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 9:54 PM

Yeah, actually he is probably quite a bit bigger than the other one - perhaps more mini than micro. There is very little room left inside the pebble! You're right about the tape too...the dark arts revealed!

When are you coming round? :drink:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2006 5:35 AM

Kick A$$!! Paipo, that looks incredible so far. I can't wait to see what the little guy is gonna look like. Another masterpiece from NZ!

-Gman

the tang is awesome keep up the good work

J

"Character" is the right word on the Ku. He looks like a tough rock. Those tikis inside of rocks are the neatest thing. Very impressive.

JP

B

Paipo, We just got home from Alabama and I'm just catching up. Looks like not a lot was happening while I was gone?.Welcome back,. I Finally got my Bone carving book.
I'll join this tomooooorrow.

P

Thanks GMAN, Marcus, Johnny and Benz. I'm slowly getting back to speed now I've got caught up with my resin orders. Still a few cords to braid for this lot!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 2:26 AM

They look awesome man :)

B

The "Mini Marq" looks very interesting! Another paipo Gem coming down the 'chute. Those Resins look great too!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 1:50 PM

A busy, busy boy.....

BEAUTIFUL MAN!

they look like a little tiki village,all resting for the night! You got such a feel for color and texture! Bravo!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-11-27 08:42 ]

J

I had the BEST start to my work week when I got to my office to find that "Putorino" had arrived this morning and is even more wonderful in person! He is now hanging very happily around my neck. The first thing he said was "Take me to Forbidden Island!" but FI is closed on Mondays so he will make his first official appearance tomorrow night. Oh, and I love the hidden surprise at the bottom of the piece that didn't show in the pictures.

I couldn't be HappyHappyHappyier! :D :D :D

Thanks Paipo! You are the rockinest stoner around!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-11-27 11:10 ]

C

Wow that resin family is awesome! I love the jade and the bone like Crying Ku!! You manage to match the hi quality in every thing you do! Congratulation Tiki master!!

Got my Kaitangata resin today and am just so stoked. Beautiful craftsmenship. I am very honored to finally have one of your pieces. Now, I just need to save my pennies for an original!

B

Wow Paipo! Those are sooo incredibly cool!

P

Thanks hewey , Benz and GMAN. Busy indeed, I almost got all these guys out today before a few visitors and a few hours babysitting got me tied up. No workshop time at all!

Kenny, we had to destroy the village to save it. These guys were threatening to take over my house...everywhere I looked, there were tikis. I had to restrain them in bubble wrap before exiling them to various corners of the globe (mostly California) before their insidious plans came to fruition....

Jen, looking forward to Putorino's first Forbidden island trip report. Let me know how he gets on...you will have to take him off sometime!

Clarita, thanks for your nice words, although I'm still a "tiki apprentice" having only carved them for a few months now. I see a lot of work on TC from the real Tiki masters that have lived and breathed it for much longer than me, and I know I still have much to learn...
By the way, I have just done some jade and bone/ivory resin tints by request...the light one above was actually a very light grey. The new bone ones look like this:

Pretty cool to see Tikidav here too - we have a bit of a moldmaking crew on TC now! As with Clarita, I'm looking forward to when you go "commercial" with your tiki and Hula designs so I can have some of your cool stuff on my shelves.

theded, thanks for dropping in...I always appreciate hearing back when the pieces arrive and that people are happy with them.

*Visited this man today: he's holding out on you. All sorts of madness going on in that machine...

"Paipo" ... "Paipo" ... "Paipo" ...

TamaTheTroublemaker :lol:

B

Excellent "Bone" look Paipo. SOOO, You ARE Holding back on us, I Knew it! C'mon, fork it over, Chuck it up! What have you been conveniently Omitting? My guess is that you are hiding all your Best stuff from us, Right?
Of course Tama could be just trying to start trouble as usual hey?

P

Ah, he's probably referring to "Tiki X", the latest experimental prototype for my "Hearts and Minds" campaign. Unfortunately this subject is still in the design stage and I can't divulge anything...yet!

C

Ok, ok I've may have get a little carried away, it's great that you think of your self as an apprentice, but you have to recognize that it does not show that your doing this just for months it seems like a work of a very experienced person...I like a lot the bone like piece! Greetings!

J

On 2006-11-30 12:21, Paipo wrote:
Ah, he's probably referring to "Tiki X", the latest experimental prototype for my "Hearts and Minds" campaign. Unfortunately this subject is still in the design stage and I can't divulge anything...yet!

"Paipo Joe - International Man of Mystery"

J

On 2006-11-30 00:34, Tamapoutini wrote:
*Visited this man today: he's holding out on you. All sorts of madness going on in that machine...

No Fair!

JP

B

Yeah, the "Apprentice" holding out again because he has to give it to us a bit at the time or we would not be able to stand it. So Wheres the next Fix?? I can take it..

B

Hey Paipo,

I'm a big fan of your pendants.
Very good collection.

Ben.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:29 AM

Do I have to threaten the hunger strike thing again - like I had to do with Conga? C'mon, cough it up Paipo! Don't make us git you!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 8:44 PM

Hey Clarita, Jen, JP, Benz, ben and G! I'm sorry to keep you waiting...I had told a few people I'd be carving today, but the first clean surf conditions in about 6 weeks put paid to that. The waves were mediocre but it was so nice to get my limbs moving through the ocean again. We've just come off a month of rain and I'm tragically unfit.
Tomorrow is Monday however, so I will be carving...unless the surf is good! :wink:

v TC Thread v

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-12-03 11:35 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 4:36 AM

Paipo,

Ok, I'll spot you one day of mediocre surfing, but now back to work with ya.......

B

No Surfing tomorrow..Carving toomorrow! This surfing may be a noble sport, but it is not a free pass to keep from carving? Babysitting maybe, surfing,, NOOOooooHA

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 12:35 AM

Pretty windy here today and not even worth going down to look at the sea - I can see the whitecaps from the house when it's rough. Amongst other things, I did a little more on this Hawaiian influenced guy. He still needs some detailing and a bit more cleanup:

I then got to thinking about the "Micro Challenge" (see Tama's thread) - how small can a tiki get? I looked through some pebbles, and decided that 1cm was too small for me - at least for today. I had a design in mind and I wanted a bit more room to play with, so I found a nice little pebble 2/3" (16mm) long and got to work:

I have something interesting planned for this little fella...watch this space!

Arrrgh! You're a Madman :lol:

That is a wee stunner - great pic! But come on, 1.6cm... childsplay.

You win. Mine looks like positively neolithic compared to yours. haha

Tama

B

PAipo, looks like you and TAma are both Winners here. HOW are you getting such Small pieces? UNBELIEVABLE, Both of you guyz are nutz. Can't wait to see how this ends up!

B

Your hawaiian influenced guy is very awesome. And the micro tiki is a real won challenge.
Bravo

Ben

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 4:33 AM

Bow to Paipo, master of the small wee toolz (not a very flattering title) :lol:

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 7:31 AM

My hula dancer figure wants to wear your micro-Tiki around her neck. She says it's just her size! Simply awesome work you are doing, Paipo you rockstar!

J

I'm speechless about the wee little guy! And you know I'm never speechless. Just amazing, Paipo! Have to pick my jaw up off the floor now.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 5:36 PM

wow man, thats a lot of detail for such a little carving!

B

Just awesome, you and Tama both are the most awesome carvers around.

F
flynny posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 6:25 AM

Right that's my microscope ordered, Paipo where can I get some 1/4mm dental burrs from to work on my grain of sand!!!!!!!
Regards
Flynny

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 1:07 PM

I kinda feel like I'm cheating by posting pics of the same pieces all the time, but this guy is a lot crisper than in the last shots and is only minutes away from being ready to have a mold taken. Then I'll flip him over and do it all again on the other side! He has really eaten up a lot of hours, but it will be worth it as I have some big ideas for the finished product/s.
Back in a few days....

Lookin Good paipo!
Crisper is better! Your art is very time-consuming and without these little progress shots we wouldn't be able to appreciate the amount of time and energy involved! You hinted at some project down the road...giveitup!

F
flynny posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 3:04 AM

Paipo the Tang is looking absolutely beautiful, some piece of work. Oh by the way I'm getting tired of your national rugby side coming to the UK and stuffing everybody, can you have a word :D

J

I received three of Paipo's resin pendants today, and wanted to post a pic of them all together, but try as I may, I can't get an accurate representation of the amazing detail, color, and depth of these pieces of art. Just know that they're even cooler in person than they look in the pics and I'm Happy :D Happy :D Happy :D

Cheers to Paipo, the Master Resinator! :drink:

we love the tang!!!!!! yea....

Amy :)

B

Paipo, Love the Tang. I received your Resin "NIKU" in the mail the other day and Everyone loves it where ever I go, (But they can't have him!). Your resins are Very well done, Thanks.

give it to me i love that one your stuf is so kool keep up the awesome work

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies