Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

R

Wow! killer job paipo!

I went back to past posts and it rawks overall!

Keep up the amazin' work!! :D

R

Beautiful design and craftsmenship as always....teeth, tongue and eyes really push this one to another level. This attention to detail is what makes your work superlative.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Nov 15, 2007 3:06 AM

Thanks Kaimuki, Sebastian and Timid - yes! Suggestions! Sometimes I don't know what to make next and a random thought can prod things along. Cubist would be cool - there is a kiwi painter who has done tikis in a few famous 20th century styles. Have a look for Dick Frizzell.
Tipua - yep, the splash of colour helps, unless the surface is covered in details. I always think I'll leave one plain, and then it happens...
Ben - the "Super Paipo" eh? I think the difference between a regular and a super is about two more layers of onion skin. This piece definitely got into the upper echelon of time and obsession and I guess I was out of control in the end! Somebody stop me!

Thanks too Bowana, Babs, ravez, and Robin - cheers :drink:

I'll keep pondering on the cubist tiki, but in the meantime (amongst some other projects) I started another jade carving. This was drawn up as a totally different piece, but I turned it over and sketched in the new design on the back using the very same outline. It was still a manaia originally, but a kind of weird full body one and something about it wasn't working for me. I've never carved one before so I thought I'd start at the beginning and just do a head instead. The stone is a very unusual NZ jade - kind of olive/inanga in colour with these amazing brown/orange "fibres" that look like little strands of tobacco.

B

I LOVE it when you get OUT of Control!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't stop.

P

Still going Ben, can't stop, must keep sanding....

B

Beautiful!

B

Perfect !

C

Oh looking good!!
(...I know this is not the kind of suggestion you where hoping for...But...(I'm a little afraid of saying this, don't hate me please, you don't have to listen at all,really...Is just a thought...)...I would love to see, some reptile or fish texture gen getting in or way....Sorry, sorry!
I promise not to suggest stuff again :)!

Fudge Paipo!
#43 is AWESOME! or should i say GROOVE-y?
you like magicman!
and this new abstract one-very beautiful,reminds me of those ...aw shhoot!
what are they called..those Seamonster legends on NZ... The curves in the piece
capture the Maori power and flow...Rad...
eagerly awaiting to see where it goes!

Beauty ey? Nice goin' on that piece, somethin' totally new for you but still flawlessly executed.

It looks very powerful but also very beautiful with those slippery curves, good one!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 18, 2007 1:10 AM

Gorgeous work mate, the new tongue tiki is sweet. I especially love the inlaid cord at the back, and the small face at the top :D :D

V

Absolutely AMAZING! I love the "ancient treasure" feel that your stone tikis have - I could totally picture them in a museum case in the south pacific wing "elaborate carvings - unknown date/origin - discovered on the Hutchinson expedition, 1894". Every day you post a new picture is a special day on TC!

J

Graceful!

H

You are realy crazy, Paipo! It´s unbelievable that you always top yourself!
Especially, I like that you always create different tikis and forms.
I´m smiling when I´m visiting your thread, thanks! Greetings, Kai

On 2007-11-16 23:30, Paipo wrote:
Still going Ben, can't stop, must keep sanding....

So nice I think we need one on pg85! Hmmm - room for a tongue in there..?

Keep sanding brother! :wink:

T

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 1:14 PM

Thanks Ben/s!
Clarita - no offence taken at suggestions, but I'm not really into surface carving on jade cause the stone is so nice as is! When I carve something I have to clean all the toolmarks - so imagine if I carved feathers or scales - I'd be here for years!
Kinny, you're thinking of the Taniwha or Marakihau, which are very much the same sort of thing as this guy, just different faces. This one is the Maori variant of the Tangata Manu.
Sneaky, kind of new but sort of old too, I used to make these sort of pieces a lot back in the day, so it was fun to do another old-skool piece.
hewey, cheers m'man - I really liked #43 too, so have held him back for a while and have been wearing him out and about!
VanT, you have almost described an exhibition concept I am thinking of working on - I am very influenced by my study of the old exploring days , the collection and trade of artifacts and how they were perceived. Watch this space... (in quite a while)
JP, thanks. Graceful is the way for the jade - flowing curves and soft surfaces.
Kai, variety is the only way to go, but there's still a few key styles I haven't tackled that I want to get working on. PNG is very high on my list. Be careful on those ladders man! the tiki world needs you!
Tama - good to catch up the other night at the class of 07 gathering. There didn't seem to be a lot that caught my eye this year?
No tongue this time - I should have incorporated it into the carving as it's too hard to get inside the beak. I have often thought one of those little offset handpieces could be useful for getting into the tight spaces the regular one can't reach. In the end I left this guy fairly plain to let the stone do its thing, and ended up taking the surface back to a coarser grade after all that sanding!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 1:37 PM

Paipo,

I love the twist you threw in that Mania. That is really sharp! Could it get any cleaner?

-G

B

Paipo, you're "harder better faster stronger" :D
Very nice.

C

I know,I know, sorry again! and is so GREAT this way that is a really unfair suggestion. But I know the fish gen (not the texture)could create some amazing hybrids, I leave this suggestion at your back door, so it invites itself, some time...haha!

B

Give you a Simple little job to do and you STILL Take it to the Extreme, I LOVE it. I Really love the eye and the Overall shape and the Smooth, fair lines and the Lack of detail and, and , and,,,,

I love the simple and clean design - always do. Excellent!

P

Thanks again, I've decided to press on with another manaia while the style is fresh in my mind. I can see lots of ways to play around with this design - I really like how it is 3 distinct elements. This guy has the tongue I should have carved in the last one!

H

I like the 3 elements. Very graphically! I think it´s the best way. First, to figure out the basic form and than to create the details. At the beginning I started to carve details into the log and than I had proportional problems.
You are a good teacher with your pictures. I´m looking forward to see how you´ll go on.

J

On 2007-11-25 08:03, haikai wrote:

You are a good teacher with your pictures.

A true master, you make learning very enjoyable.

You could spend a lifetime carving variations on the three elements of the mania head

H

These new ones are nice mate. I reckon a squid done like one of these would be sweet :D

R

Always a pleasure to see what you're doing. Good luck with the show.

HMMMMM.... very cool! This one is really angular and sharp, nice contrast to the buttah smooth one... Beautiful!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2007 1:12 AM

Cheers haikai - I learnt the same lesson after a while. Always get the form in first before worrying about things like eyes, noses, mouths etc. That little bit of extra depth really goes a long way....

JP, not so sure ab out a lifetime - #2 has already fallen by the wayside somewhat. Too many distractions at the moment!

Thanks hewey - AlohaStation has already beaten me to the squid tiki - check out the marketplace. Same for the rest of you! I have 3 of Tom's pieces and they are some of my favouritest things I own!

Thanks Robin. Show mode is fully underway now and I am working towards an increasingly tight deadline (only a few days before Christmas). It took a while to get going but the ideas are starting to flow now. I had a visit from a friend of yours (and of mine now) from Hokitika a couple of weekends back - top bloke he is too.

Sneaky, you nailed it - I wanted a total contrast to the other one this time. Flat surfaces, crisp edges and some pointy bits. I can't decide where to take it next (particularly the eye) so it's on hold for the time being. Suggestions welcomed!

So, plenty of work here, but not much tiki while I get to grips with exhibitions and galleries again. The weather has been warm however, and warm weather means the Paipo Joe's Resinator is back in action for the summer:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-12-06 01:33 ]

B

On 2007-12-06 01:12, Paipo wrote:
the Paipo Joe's Resinator is back in action for the summer:

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. :wink:

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2007 9:00 AM

ooohhhh is that one of my favourite Paipos I spy down there? the beautiful Tang???

good to see the resinator back in action!

Looks like a nest of the "Creature".Thanks for the props and right back at ya! I just got a package from Rhys and even the non-tiki stuff is fantastic. Thanks again

C

Oh great! nice pic! Can I eat one?

B

Love the tongue on the Manaia Paipo.
Izzat the bowl of Paipo Goodies for our X-Mas Party? CooL!

I'm constantly awed by your work. Always impressive stuff.
I agree with clarita, when i saw the pic of your castings I immediately thought "mint chocolate!" "dark chocolate!" "Mild chocolate!" Tasty!!

(hint hint) are these available for purchase?!?!! (hint hint)

T

I second (third?) the idea - those would make great chocolates! In different flavors...yum!!!

Fun filled bowl. Trick or treat!?

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 3:22 AM

I've got a few more flavours (and more to come) - more greens, bone, various shades of stone and wood. I'll post a pic when the whole run is finished!

I've also been digging through my box/es looking for stuff to jettison and free up space...every few years I can dig through the stone pile and find odds and ends I realise I'll never have a use for. I came across this piece (which was just roughed on the big wheel) and decided to get back into it. I've only been doing a couple of hours a day because of the weight so it's going to be a pretty slow process.Still very much in the "roughout" phase:

Whoah HUGE! Way to go Papo! This is gonna be phat!

that roughout reminds me of the unfinished michelangelo i saw in florence-a big piece of marble with a shoulder carved here and a hand carved there...

R
Robin posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 9:35 AM

Definitely reminiscent of Michaelangelos' slaves. How does the comparison feel....Jadi Michaelangelo. :)

He's clawing to get out-trapped ! It's your job to release him...give him life!
Those new resin colors are SPOT-ON! They look great!
Also makin me hungry!
Can you make some chocolate molds of these? :)

Don't you ever stop?

T

It looks like a finished piece to me.

J

I like it just the way it is, I'd be proud to display that in my home if you didn't do anything else to it. I really like the vibe it gives.

H
harro posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 3:28 PM

Sh*t that's one mutha of a stone! (you had that just lying around in a scraps box???)

giving your forearms a workout huh? imagine if you stuck some rope through it - even Buzzy might not be "tiki guy" enough to strut that bling around his neck!! :D :D

L

Wow it was really amazing.
cheers,
Loosy.

Swarovski crystal beads

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 1:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback - the general consensus seems to be to keep it pretty simple, which I'm going to do. In fact some of the areas I've carved and cleaned up will probably be taken back to the "rough rock" finish. There's maybe one more session to go on the big piece, and I've more or less finished the manaia pendant after keeping him in the time-out box for a while:

Nice!!! I agree with the "rough rock" finish idea . . . I think it lends itself well to the "petroglyphic" look.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 8:17 AM

Paipo,

That jade boulder is nutz. I freaked when I saw it. Plese, please, please keep working on it and showing us progress. I need to see more of this one. Do you have any sketches of where you are heading?

Nice shooze man! Glad to see some shooze pics from NZ.

-G

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies