Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis - 1st Thread - Jun 06 - May 08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,498 replies

B

I think Paip the Papa is having More trouble adjusting to lil Scarlets sleep schedule than he thought. When a Baby wanes up in the middle of the night, so does everyone in the house, For awhile until you get used to it. HappyHappyFunFun and much Joy on top!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 3:45 AM

I've been away on the East Coast for a few days visiting family and showing off our little treasure, but will be back home tomorrow and am determined to finish that moai!
After picking up the unsold works from my show I went to Canterbury Museum on a tiki field trip today but forgot my camera - although it may have been banned anyway? The Maori works are always awe-inspiring, but I was very disappointed to see that there is virtually none of their superb Pacific collection on display. I had a real hankering to soak up the vibes from some old-school masterpieces!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 5:21 AM

Sounds like a great time Paipo, too bad you couldn't take pics. I would have really like to see some more museum shots. There are some great shots of Maori art from the Chicago museum hiding in one of the forums - just do a TC search on "Chicago museum." In other words, you'll just have to hang out with us rejects and bask in our masterpieces. Have a great day man...you sleeping much?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 5:38 PM

Paipo,

Whattcha doing? You babysitting? Any new rocks on the bench?

-G

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 6:39 PM

Things are a little bumpy homewise at the moment, so the carving has taken a backseat for a while. I do have some new progress on the moai which I'll photograph and post when I've had some rest and got caught up on things. I hope to get the tiki production line back on track soon - I have some really cool projects lined up!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 7:13 PM

yeh, we understand man...

okay, thats as much sympathy you're getting - get back into it! :)

B

Those bumpy things come in the dirty diapers..Just change them and move along to the next project,,SMILE. Be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 9:35 PM

6 days since an update! I should've had 2-3 new finished tikis in that time!
I still get in an hour here or there when I can, which is just enough to cut a pair of arms into a moai:

Looking good mate. He's got that sneery nite-club 'bouncer' look about him... "Sorry mate, not in those shoes..." haha

Tama

B

Yes, a real "Bruiser" for sure and Noble too. Can't wait to get back to see what all you have caught up with. Nise stuff Papa!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 5:12 AM

looks better every time man :)

H
harro posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 8:32 PM

hey paipo,
just caught up on all your recent work - the moai has a great air of authority about it (as they should) - looks fantastic!
hope the addition to the family is bringing smiles all round.
cheers,
harro.

Hey papa ..er paipo, Nice lookin' Moai, hope the baby an Missus are well.

ST

P

Thnaks GMAN, hewey, Benz, Tama, Harro and sneaky - hopefully you'll be as pleased to see this latest post as I am.

After what can only be described as "a week from hell" I really needed to finish something to remind myself that I still actually carve for a living. This guy has been taunting me for weeks - making me think carefully about every step, and always begging for a little more work just when I thought he was done. I don't know if I'd describe making this piece as "fun", but it sure taught me a few things and increased my respect tenfold for the designers and carvers of the original statues.

Ye-haa! Way to go mate. Looks great!

One for casting..? Tama

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 1:04 AM

Looks great man. Awesome attention to the traditional design. Very nice

H

What an amazing piece of work! You are so crazy, it´s unbelievable for me, to carve so extremely clean and detailed in stone. Hats off!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 3:46 AM

SAWEET!!! X2

M

Simply beautiful !

Mahalo

McTiki

H
Heath posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 7:21 AM

Hey Paipo, I don't want to sound like everyone else and tell you how cool "Moai Joe" is, how well balanced he is, or comment on the amount of detail, character and emotion you're able to put in such a small piece.

Nope, don't wanna do it.

Uh-huh.

But c'mon, I HAVE to!!
Absolutely gorgeous!!

But not as nice as your little girl though.:wink:

On 2006-10-26 23:48, Paipo wrote:
...This guy has been taunting me for weeks - making me think carefully about every step, and always begging for a little more work just when I thought he was done. ...

They are loud, pesky little buggers, aren't they!?!?!

Great Job- Looks beautiful!

V

Mr. Moai is simply amazing. I wanted to reach into my monitor and grab it! Fabulous work, as always!

VanTiki

B

Excellent work for a piece that you thought you hadreally messed up. I've found that on pieces where I messed up, that having to work it out, really made the piece all the better. Seems you have stumbled across this too! Nice work Paips

Outstanding Paipo! I have to agree with Tama...I've been bounced by more than just sneers of the likes simular to that fellow! Great work and keep the stones rolling...gather no moss!!! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

J

Elegantly dignified. He has a proud look on his face. Just like his creator.
JP

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 28, 2006 2:00 PM

Thanks Tama, not sure about casting this guy or not yet - I think I'm just gonna neeed to concentrate on carving for the next month or two. As I'm sure you'll have noticed, "the season' is on us with a vengeance!

Hewey, he was heavily influenced by the traditional - I have 3 tourist carvings in my studio that I constantly checked to see if I was getting the feel right.

Haikai, it's not as hard (haha) as you think, after seeing what you did with that lono I don't think you'd have any trouble making the transition - look at what Benz has done!

Cheers G - you back yet? You're slacking off - where's the 3 new bones for the weekend!

Thanks McTiki - how's that totem coming along?

Heath and Skully, you guys will know from experience how much work these fellas are. It's cool to see how everyone approaches this classic design.

VanTiki, we just need a to work out some sort of Star Trek device that allows us to transmit objects via the internet!

Benz, hope you're having a blast on the Left Coast - yep, I had almost given up on this guy, but then I realised that inside every bad moai is a smaller, better moai waiting to get out!

Jonesey, mahalos man - how are those little fellas enjoying their new life? I hope none of your pets have gone missing?

JohnnyP, I did feel proud to get this guy done, I think he was almost as difficult as the PIGHAMMER! The best pieces don't come easy.

Whew! A little long-winded, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their support - my art has been helping me out a lot lately and the encouragement I get here is a big part of that. No new tikis just yet, but later this week - look out! I did cast a little "Ku from the Black Lagoon" for my darling though...

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-10-29 01:39 ]

Awwwwwwww...

'Kootchie-Ku'! :lol: Tama

papa paipo, your darling scarlett is beautiful! what a lucky little girl to already have a monster tiki pendant carved by her pop. oh yeah, the moai turned out great. very stoic.

B

Nice one there Paipo, I didn't know you could do such realistic stuff, and with beautiful red hair Too! You should be very proud of that one. What is that one made from, haven't seen that before?
:)

Beautiful work !! on both "The baby and the Moai"

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 29, 2006 1:23 AM

Very cute man :)

H

Beautiful, you can be a happy and a proud man!

T

That's a pretty lucky Moai to have a cute kid like that attached to him... it's also a lucky kid to have the nice Moai attached to him, too! Nice job on both!

H

Paipo!--what a cute kid to have such an ugly daddy! Sorry-had to throw that bit of 'suthun' humor' in there--don't take it hard, I reserve that joke for my best friends only (otherwise, I might get smacked)!

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I must say, I'm yet again blown away by your precision, symmetry and flat out 'bad-assedness' of your work!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 3:23 AM

Cute, but what a distraction! I spend more time doing this sort of thing than carving at present:

Meanwhile, it's exhibtion deadline time again - Tama and I both have work in a show representing our region that opens early next year.
This is a remake of the "Suspended Breastplate" from the last show, but using Australian black and NZ green jade - it just needs a couple of holes and grooves and some cordage to finish. The matching man's ring is also Australian black jade, which is actually a very dark green when backlit strongly. The pattern on both is copied from my Rarotongan tattoo.
The pendant will go in the show, but not the ring - it's not substantial enough, as the limit is 3 pieces each, so I'll submit 2 more pendants.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 4:47 AM

Paipo,

That's a good looking rug-rat you got there. Watch after her...she looks like trouble!

The new pieces you posted look great. That ring is a great idea. Very neat that you incorporated your tat-work in there. Very impressive! I hope the show goes well for you both.

As for me, I'm not slacking, just busy. When I'm not carving, I'm working pieces out on paper (during conference calls etc.). I'll be back on the boards with some mad bones and some big woodies soon! Thanks.

Is the ear protection for your shop or 'cause the little girl is crying a lot?

-Gman

B

Hey Paipo, Too bad that ring can't go with the Breast Plate as a set. It is Very Masculine and attractive, Almost looking like an Off-Road type tire tread. After working a bit of stone and Jade, I have gained Much more respect for your Precision, Machined looking work. I really hope you and Tama both do well in your upcoming show.
Awesome Looking pieces.

H
haikai posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 6:58 AM

Hey Paipo!
Did you wear headphones or ear protection on the pictures?
So did you hear music or cried your darling so loud?
Realy clean and beautiful work. Awesome artworks!
Good luck for your show.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 12:12 PM

Well G, when you're busy you produce enough stuff to make up for your quiet spells I guess. Has the stone fever got into your blood yet after that first piece?
And yes, the earmuffs are hearing protection...the frequency of Miss Scarlett's cries makes my ears crackle...probably the result of too many years with my head in the speaker bin at metal gigs during my wasted youth!

Benz, I thought about a set, but I think it will make it too hard to sell the pieces - it's very easy to sell pendants to women, but hard to sell anything made for men. This doesn't apply to tikis, where the ratio is probably reversed. I do like making rings and this is the second men's one I've done in black jade. I also have some ideas for a tiki ring which may see fruition eventually..

Haikai, as I mentioned to GMAN, yep - the earmuffs are needed when changing the baby to block out the cries. Some "in-ear" music would be good though - I wouldn't mind getting an MP3 player and installing the earphones into my muffs. At the moment I just use a CD player in the workshop which I turn up super loud so I can hear it over the machine noise!

Paipo!
Cute kid! Wishing you and Tam a successful show! So is the deadline Nov 3rd or the exhibit? With you two representing a region there should be heads turned everywhere! You are a true artist! And taking care of a baby? Man! Endurance must be one of your strong qualities! When I got married,the girls were already 17 and 6 respectively-pre-made so to speak.I have no patience for little people! Screeching children can be an artistic buzzkill! But with a cute face like hers I bet you are totally owned! Here's to you and Tama! Cheers!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 6:04 PM

Simple yet beautiful work. Very nice man

B

You down under boyz hiding out?

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 4:35 PM

Nope, just been away for few days visiting family again Benz. Back into it now!

B

Hey Paipo, Its the weekend, you're not supposed to work! Don't pay attention to me, Unless you're one of those TC slackers who haven't been around in a month.
:)

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 4:23 PM

Carving again - back on the jade for a couple of days getting some commissions and old pieces tidied up. This one should be finished later today - Australian jade:

B

Looks like this one is on the road to real Sweetness. Nice to see you doing some green stuff again. Not that I don't love the River stone, I Really do and I find it very addicting and demanding, but you carve some Nice stuff in Jade.
Is Lil' Scarlett settling down yet at night and letting you guys get enough sleep?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 5:39 PM

On 2006-11-06 16:23, Paipo wrote:
Carving again - back on the jade for a couple of days getting some commissions and old pieces tidied up. This one should be finished later today - Australian jade

I reckon this one should come back to Australia then... I can be a caretaker for now :) haha

J

How did you get the inside of the hook cut out? At the end by the hole it looks like it was routed it is so perfect. Sweet shape.

JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1498 replies