Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

Benzart,

My Maori arrived today. Your pictures are good, but it looks even more impressive in person. The detail is incredible. It's like, how did he do that? Thanks again.

M

The Hale Tiki warrior looks great! I can't wait to see him finished.

[ Edited by: mganga on 2004-03-22 14:57 ]

How much for the second one down? PM me and let me know please! :)

K

JEEZ

please let me know which of these if any are available...i totally love them and i need to be blessed with one of these beautiful mojomakers for my opening...they are SO cool!

i'm in line here!!!

B

Kooche, you will have yours before your show.
Some of these went to JungleTrader. He ordered several back in the beginning and will have some available on his website I believe. I'm working on individual orders now and you will see more posted Shortly.
However, Numbers 3

And number 5

Are still available. They are not the best of what I've done but make me an offer.
#3 has darkened quite a bit as Cocobolo does. I'll get a newer pic.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-22 17:42 ]

I like #5. He looks a little like a tattooed Dennis Hopper.

http://www.samgambino.com

B

YEs he does kind of look loke D Hopper, but with his chin missing. If he had a chin he'd be good.
Here are the latest 2 and Polynesiac is next so will get first choice. I think CultJam is next then SamG. Gecko is getting a Big maori which is 3/4 done.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-23 13:05 ]

They're just getting better and better...For the record, I have dibs on "Hopper" (Frank Booth) #5, so forgettabout it....

K

DUDE...these are awesome...every one of them is awesome!

i am a big fan of the pieces that are LESS human and more abstract...those that are posted above the Haletiki warrior are SO SO SO tight...

let me know if i need to stay in a holding pattern until my number is up...these are SUPER!

thanks again!

B

Keep holding for now awhile. I was going to ask you if you might like eyes that light up on yours? I got the stuff to do one to see how it would come out time-wise and stuff.

K

light up eyes! man you are killing me...i'd LOVE it! would the battery be self contained?

GO FOR IT! i love it...

consider me sitting in a corner quietly being well behaved until you need to reach me...

you rule friend!

MAHALO!

B

I figured for your show you'd like an extra bit of OOMPH. The led's,battwery,batt holder and switch cost $10 and it will all fit into the tiki face after I hollow it out. Let me know which one you like the best and I'll make that one (a little bigger though ).

When my number comes up, please make it a Maori Moko Mai, I just can't take my eyes of them, they look so real. They remind me of Queequeg, (though he was a Marquesan Prince).
Like wearing a real shrunken head.

C

On 2004-03-23 07:17, Sam Gambino wrote:
I like #5. He looks a little like a tattooed Dennis Hopper.

Dennis looks hungry.

Lika Lika

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2004-03-24 00:34 ]

K

BENZ

i really dig the one you did with the teeth that is photographed next to the penny near the bottom of page 3...that one rules!

i can't wait man! your stuff is so great!!!

thanks again!

B

Thanks everyone, Bigbro thats what you'll get and Kooche, sounds like thats what you want.
For now I am not adding any further names to the "List" the last being naugatiki. I have to have the surgery Re-done that was done 3 weeks ago. The Electrode that they put in my neck came loose and moved to an Unusable location. This won't happen for about 2 weeks, plenty of time to finish everyone up on the list.
Thanks..

K

jesus!

i hope that you aren't in too much discomfort...that sounds complicated and any time someone says the word surgery i get a slow sinking feeling below the waist...

best of luck sir and once more...thanks!

Benz, those are looking ever so sweet. I cant wait to see a couple "plugged in."
Electricity is cool, light up eyes are always in style!
Good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery to ya.

Chongolio

B

Should I show you guys Gecko's Maori before he sees it? I think he's gonna poop a little bit.

K

if we see it, HE sees it....

SHOW IT SHOW IT!!!

and let him poop a little bit and let him show it too...

it's up to you...

Ben, Don't hesitate to show mine when it's ready. The money is half-way to your place by now...(I'm anxious) By the way, what kind of wood is #5?

B

5 is Cherry which is very hard and stable. I'll have pix tomorow.

Here is Geckos with 2 coats of Shellack sealer.

Where is Gecko anyway?

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-25 16:26 ]

K

COOOOOOL!

now I have pooped my pants!

that is SO RAD! thanks for sharing man! that one is bad ass baby! gecko is going to flip...

changing my pants and having a shot of wheatgrass!

T

Ben, just received our pieces you did. AWESOME! Unbelievable work. Thank You for these. I was at work when they arrived, but my son called me when they got here. I had to take his off after he was asleep.
Hope all goes well with the next surgery.

Take care and Thanks again,
Dave

O

Benzart i love your carving you are a true master. every thing you do is so good.

HOLY CRAP, BEN!
that carving in totally awesome!
that gecko tattoo is insane!
Gecko will be overjoyed!
I bow to the master...

That one's beautiful, Ben. I'd have a hard time letting that one go.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-03-25 21:02 ]

Awesome. In the words of the master, "More more."

B

TikiBud and JungleTrader, I'm happy you like your carvings. I'm Really happy to see TikiBuds son so inspired..

B

Here is the one from the Chestnut. I don't think I'll carve anything small with it again, It is very difficult to get fine detail out of. Carves a lot like soft pine.

Ben, If that's mine (carved from the 1892 chestnut), it looks fine to me! If it was difficult to carve, I sure can't tell by looking at it. I can't wait to display these works of art. It looks like there is a soul behind those eyes. Thanks!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-03-26 14:30 ]

B

Yep, Thats yours Sam. It just needs about 4 more coats of Lacquer.

Great! Slap 'em on & ship it out :)
Thanks a bunch, Ben. It's more than I was hoping for.

B

Looks like OnaTiki has laid claims on #15, Congrats.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Mar 29, 2004 2:18 AM

Aloha braddahz! well well well braddah Ben! Looks like you pounded mine out ya. As we say here ONO!! Yes I too love da geckoz on da sides of his face! nice imagination! thats why I love coming to creating tiki! I love all da peopo'z creations! I will wear dat proudly on my neck! If I could drive over and pick it up I would. Mahaloz fo your time braddah! really!!!

G

I just wish I had it now so, I could wear it to Mr. Dennys Birth day party on the 7th of April. I bet he would love that! He loves Tikis!!!!

Thanks to you again cuz!

B

Any guesses what this is and where it goes?

K

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!!!

yeeeeha!

i can't wait bro!

you kick too much booty!

"Eye" have no idea!

B

Here is tha Maori for OnaTiki.Red Mahogany is the wood.

Let me kno if this is for you OnaTiki

Hey Ben, keep them coming. Looking good Mista Davis, Ben Davis that is.

O

Absolutely!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE.....
Truly amazing!
Ben is the Master!!

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 7:33 PM

Hey Ben, when you were a tike were you in the Boy Scouts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3904897331&category=39656

B

Want to see something Strange?? Check out BigBroTikis' post in Collecting tiki.He has Pix of an original piece of artwork that your post was taken from. Here is the pic. go check out the story

No I wasn't a Boy Scout btw.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-30 19:59 ]

B

Here is the Final of Geckos Maori with added moko on face and chin.

Heere also is a Bright-eyed Tiki which I hope to get to Kooche in time for his show

More to follow

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 8:08 PM

On 2004-03-30 19:44, Benzart wrote:
Want to see something Strange?? Check out BigBroTikis' post in Collecting tiki.He has Pix of an original piece of artwork that your post was taken from. Here is the pic. go check out the story

Damn. I saw that post but didn't put two and two together. There's a story there somewhere. Who was the young Scout who was so enamored of traditional Polynesian art that he carved himself a tiki neckerchief slide? And why did said carving appear on ebay the same time as Sven's mug? "Enquiring minds want to know!"

B

I Dunno but I put a bid on the Boy Scout thing which has a stamp on the back but all thats visible is ---nd. Very interesting

Ben.....your stuff is amazing......would love to get on the list when you have time.

K

dude you have got to be KIDDING me! that thing is...i am NOT WORHTY! that is sssooo coooooool! i can't wait to get that thing around my neck and in your face with it!!!

how do we do this now?

F*CK YEAH!
(cue drum circle and wild bird calls)
I AM DOING THE NAKED FIRE DANCE!!!

thank you thank you thank you!!!

DAMN YOU ARE HOT SH*T!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies