Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

B

Thanks, though it seems my "Talent is hiding. The little I have worked on is not coming out how I would like.
Good news, I'm back with my Camera and can shoot some real pictures.
Here is more of # 24.

Here is # 25 unfinished with lots more work to go

I'm Slowly getting back into the saddle again and will be going strong in another week I think.
Lets see Got my computer back,,,Got my Camera back..Got some Mallet Chizelz coming ..Almost got me back. Yeah I'm ready,,You?

Benzart, great to see you back carving! An hour a week!!! If I could do that on 40 hours a week I'd be thrilled, you got some real talent. OnaTiki, that Purple Heart is some beautiful wood, have a few good chunks waiting to be carved, I understand it is brutal on the knives though.

B

Thanks Mac, I believe the Purple Hart sucks up silica like teak. You are cutting sand as well as wood, thus--Dill tools.
Here is another 1 I have been working on. was supposed to be a Marcq but looks like he got off the stagecoach in Dry Gulch wherever and he says he "Aint No Stinkin Tiki. Anyway I just let him be what he wants as long as its not me

Well thets all folks

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-05-12 21:57 ]

Hey Ben, I like that bad ass lookin' smokin' Marq. COOL!

Hot Damn Benzart, I love it, stinkin' Tiki or no, please post a picture when done

Ben! that marquesian cracks me up!

He looks like the stereotypical "supply sergeant" in all the old WW II movies!

Glad to see you're back in action again. Can't wait for more pictures...

He really is cool, Ben. Sorry to keep comparing the carvings to famous people, but have you been watching any Ernest Borgnine movies lately? :)

B

No wonder he kept saying "Ernie Rocks" Hummmm

B

Well here is the Smoker. Cowboy, Marcq, Ernie or whatever.
, I think he be done,
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4db36b3127ccebef8c86faa190000001610[/img[
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4db36b3127ccebef8b4b3aafb0000001610)

He needs a few more coats of lacquer but other than that he is done.

Very cool, Ben. He looks like he could be anything from an old west outlaw to a New Jersey longshoreman to a Detroit Teamster. Lots of character in that chunk of wood!

Ernie baby! I like that one too.

Pure talent Ben. It's all good.........Mrs. Fury is looking forward to hers, for me ? I like the idea of a shrunken head too.......

B

Thanks BF. Here is a new one I have been working on for awhile. The wood I think is "Macassar Ebony" a sister to True African Ebony.It is Very hard and looks black unless well lighted. It is about 3 " tall with lacquer finish. I had to depart from the Maoris for a few days.

K

DUDE! that things is BAD ASS!!! i lov ethat one man! nice subtle curves baby!

thanks again for sharing with us!

more please!

B

This next guy is almost done. A few morechips, lines, clean-up and lacquer and he is done.This Moko has taken longer than ever because of the depth and dimension.

I'll say it first..He looks a bit like Shrek??

Shrek wishes he looked that good! Damn!

K

Ben,

That Moai looks awesome! Is it for sale?
Kanaka

B

This one was available, but Kanaka is having it mailed to his home, Thanks Much..

G
GECKO posted on Tue, May 25, 2004 2:42 AM

awwwwwriiiiight! right on cuz! I sent off da Koa today. Should be in your mail box this week. Aloha!

Hey Ben,

I took #10 with me on my excursion to Hale Tiki to meet some of the TCers. He had a great time and got much attention.

B

I'm glae you both had a great time. At first I said "I never sold anything to Raffertiki", Then the next day I remembered Raffertiki was once a Nice Fishy.. I'm a little slow.
For those of you waiting for Maori's, I seem to be cursed by the maori. Every piece I start looks like Crap. Maybe it is the piece of Maple I have been using, I don't know Look
at these*&%^$#)###&('s of crap.
Think I'll start with a fresh slab of Cherry.
This ever happened to any other carvers out there? If so how do you fix it?

Hey Benz,

I've been playing around, carving masks out of black maple. Nice grain. I have some cut off pieces that are too small for me to use, but might be perfect for you. Let me know if you can use them, and I'll send them right out.

Yeah...kinda has a milky look to it. I sanded and sanded and sanded, and it just got worse. I didn't have any sandpaper finer than 220 tho, so maybe something finer than that?

Although, Ben (and I'll be the first to say it) your "crap" looks like diamonds to me. Could be taken several different ways, but I'm going to say it anyway...and I'm stickin' to it!

B

#27 is finally doneHe tookthree times as long as normalbecause I put far too much detail in the facial moko. I won't bendoing that again unless I find a quicker way,
This is 3" tall by 2 " wided. He is the chocolate maple and will turn darker with age(Days).
Bigbrotiki wants one similar and he gets first shotat it. after thatit's up for grabs,

The depth of detail is greater than previous pieces.
I think it is time to hit the hay.
Goodnight all. Wish I had those tiki sheets so I could dream Tiki Dreams.

That is simply FINE work!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

#27 is forBigbrotiki.next is a Tongan goddess and a 6" witco mask.
Somewhere after that is a Shrunken head, a smaller maorik and ,, Where is my list?.

B

Here is the latest for Naugatiki,If he likes.

This is a 7"X4" piece done in Pine. If it looks like a witco, I got permission,Thanks keigs..

Its always great to see the variety in your work Ben. Different materials and different styles make it all very refreshing.

Someday I will have to get one of your works. Maybe a trade will suffice. Do you need anything framed?

B

Thanks, Monkeyman. One of these days when I trade FlounderArt for a Burlap, I'llneed the perfect frame, then we can trade for sure. Then theres Kooche, Chongolio, A Gecko Velvet plus a few. I think I will leave Hukilau with some work for you to trade for.

B

Here is the Final on Bigbrotiki's Maori with the Glass Eyes.

And here is a Tongan Princess for Tiki410 who has been patiently waiting fora Few months(thanx for the patience)). She is 2" tall carved from Black Walnut, numbered 29.

Next Bongofury,,TikiBird, Sam Gambino,,Gecko, and of course Dogbytesbig moai and I'm STILL working on the HaleTiki Maori warroir.

B

My first piece of KOA Wood Thanks in trade with Gecko
This is for Mrs Bomgofury it is about 1/2 way done,

the rest are finals of these

Ben, those glass eyes give him an even more intense, piercing stare. I love it.

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Benz,

Captured the Tongan Goddess likeness very well. Hope the computer problems clear up.

Thank you.

B

HeHere's the latest on #31 shrunken Ugly Head.

And here is # 30 for Mrs BongoFury done in Koa wood

All he needs is about 5 more coats of lacquer

T

Benz, that head is awesome, I am more astounded with every picture you post of your carvings, sorry to sound like such a suck up, but sometimes you make me feel like I need to do the Wayne's World scene, "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!" :)

D

On 2004-06-12 15:38, Benzart wrote:
Here's the latest on #31 shrunken Ugly Head.

are shrunken heads ever not ugly?

the workmanship is astounding..

B

I guess you're right, they are Always ugly but some of them you can tell started with a normal looking person. This guy was Ugly Before the shrinking.
Here is the final on # 30.Moai from Koa Wood(thanks to Gecko.)

I'll have to look at my list to see who's next

B

Next is TikiBird who wants a 12" Maori warrior by 2" to use as a handle on his Keg of beer
This is a quick rough out. Now the real work begins. I'll keep you posted

B

Next is TikiBird who wants a 12" Maori warrior by 2" to use as a handle on his Keg of beer
This is a quick rough out. Now the real work begins. I'll keep you posted

TB

Looking very cool Benzart! Keep the update pics rolling in.

B

I just received a goody package today from BongoFury with some 'Carvin" music on Cd , wood and other goodies. Ijust wanted to Thank them for the thoughtfullness of their gift. I am finding more good hearted people on TC than I thought existed. With the CD playin in the background I'm all choked up.Thanks

B

Update pics of Maori warrior. 12" overall, base is 2 3/4". Still much tattooing to go, body has 1 coat Mahogany stain.

More pix later.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-17 18:37 ]

Ben-
Just want to let you know that Ole Ugly #31 arrived today, and IT'S GREAT. I couldn't be more happy with him. The carving is superb, but I'd also like to note how beautiful the color and finish is too. I'm proud to own your 1st shrunken head carving!

B

Thanks Sam, Ejoy , for it was created with much pleasure. I'm proud to hav ecarved a Sam gambino Design..

Great great stuff!

T

Benz that statue is awesome, can I reconsider about the necklace and have you turn my cannibal into a statue, after seeing what you are doing with this new piece I am even more blown away.

B

Thanks Thorsten, greatly appreciated from an artist or your level.
Tiki-toa, sure, we can make it any way you want. Just let me know what you want.

:o

Yes, I am new to the site, and talk about an incredible first link. Amazing work Ben.

How long is the current list of folks waiting for some of your artwork?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies