Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

B

Welcome to TC MutantTiki, and thanks for looking and the comps. Im' about 4 weks behind now, plus I have to carve a lot for HukiLau in Sept.
In this post you should see everything I have carved since I started back carving last Feb. If you like anything in particular let me know.
Polynesiac sent me some beautiful wood today. Can't wait to get into the box. Big Thanks

B

Heres the Last Latest Update on the 12" Maori Warrior for TikiBird. He is finished but for the finish. I only have 2 coats of lacquer on him now and he will get 6 or 7.

This was a Long tedious piece. I'm tired and goin to bed
Goodnight

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-19 13:54 ]

Benz after seeing these latest pictures, I know I want to go with a statue. Let me know by email what you think you will want for it and also if you have a paypal address send that, I want to start sending you money now with the idea of picking it up at the Hukilau. Let me know if this sounds ok.

On 2004-06-18 13:40, Benzart wrote:
Welcome to TC MutantTiki, and thanks for looking and the comps. Im' about 4 weks behind now, plus I have to carve a lot for HukiLau in Sept.
In this post you should see everything I have carved since I started back carving last Feb. If you like anything in particular let me know.
Polynesiac sent me some beautiful wood today. Can't wait to get into the box. Big Thanks

I have an idea for something that will be the "finishing touch" for my Tiki bar, once complete.

If it okay if I email you my thoughts and you can consider it?

I find myself getting excited looking at the work here on the site, does that make me a hopeless Tiki-head? (stuck in Ohio no less. :wink:)

B

yep, you're a Hopeless Tiki Head. Yes you may e-mail me. no problem. [email protected]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-21 06:17 ]

B

Here are three items I'm working on.
For GEcko, this 6 inch, KOA Wood Hawaiian god, benzart style. Should be done in a few daws or more

And here is the Moai for DogBytes. 12" of Mahogany 4"X5" Nice piece of wood

Another Maori in the works

And a small Tiahia pendant made from Paduke, VERY VERY Hard wood

stay tuned for more updates.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-23 11:30 ]

O

Hey Ben, you had me goin' before the pic loaded. it says 61inch carving for gecko..I thought you were going big..but see it's just a typo!!! man I was ready to mug Gecko!!! By the way great as always!!

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-06-22 20:27 ]

Beautiful as always... I dig the Moai!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

Oh Yeah, 61 inch Koa Tiki for gecko. That Will get looks won't it. Thanks for correction it. I can't type worth a darn and my wife won't do it fo me. I fixed it so Gecko odsen't have a heart attack
Thanks.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-23 11:29 ]

O

Benzart your stuff is great, the Maori always turn out great, the Tiahia looks good and has a perfect shape for a pendant. the Moai is looking really good, i really looking forward to seeing him done.

Amazing. I love the pendant. The Moari carving is outstanding. Keep posting with more pics so we can all see the amazing work you are producing.

B

BIG Thanks to Raffertiki and OnaTiki, both who sent packages of beautiful wood to make me work harder. I Love it and appreciate the goodies
HAPPYhappyhappy
Thanks
Thanks to SallyandJay also Octane for the comps, Sam, you too and anyone else I missed Thanks to everyone

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-27 10:39 ]

#30 arrived Saturday and Mrs. Fury couldn't be happier with Ben's art. Got lots of praise from people at the Aloha Festival on Sunday. Ben's art must be seen in person to truely capture all the subtle detail. Thanks Ben........Bongofury.

Ben, I love to see your work.. Every time I go to call ya, it too late. The three hour thing ya know.

B

I know, that 3 hour thing Sucks. I'm usually up only till 10 pm, 7:00pm your time, which sucks. On the nights when I can't sleep I actually get to post at the Same time as some of you.Ain't fair. But I'm home All day long.
I have a De-barked,22"tall by 14' wide log that has beentapping me on the shoulder more and more here recently. What to do with it???
It is a Nice piece of Fla Slash Pine, about 4 months felled,

B

Moai update

All I can say is WOW!

O

Looking great Ben, love the Moai

D

the in-process pictures is like looking at a sonogram! wood birth in progress!! outstanding!!

elicia

B

Thank you elicia

G

schweeet!! Ben when ya coming to paradise?

B

as soon as I sell enough tikis to get me there.Thanks Gecko. I'm also working on your piece. The Koa is a really beautiful wood but you have to really Work hard to get the image out of it. It's a relatively Hard wood. Look at me tellin YOU About Koa. I'll shut up.
I think I have decided to do a Life sized Maori Chief from the Pine log I have.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-27 10:45 ]

B

Here is the Latest and probably Last Update on the 12" Moai for Dogbytes.

He still needs a lot of clean-up and a little teasing here and there. He has the first coat of sanding sealer to keep the dirty finger prints off.
He should be done by Thursday I think.
Thanks to Tikifrog for the closeup pic's of his moai

D

woo hoo, my baby's got back!

O

amazing work Ben, looks good, i love that you carved the back, i think that is one aspect of alot of people Moai carving that is over looked. good job

Great work Ben. I am oddly drawn to the fingers at the bottom - I just like them. I definitely love the back. Keep posting and keep carving.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:49 ]

T

Great work Ben, I just love seeing your pieces as they progress to completion.

B

Thanks Dogbytes,hisBack Side is peeknig through.I also wanted the sealer on so you could see the color of the wood.
Thanks Octane,I've never carved the back, Nor the body on any Moai I have previously done. I didn't know they carved the back. I never paid much attention to them for some reason. I promise I have a newly found respect for those carvers. The delicate way they make it look so simple. The delicate Hands so long and pointed and thin. and then to go and put the Birdmen, Paddles and who knows whatelse on the backside!!!!(sorry I couldn't contain myself!!)
SallyandJay, thanks for the comps. I loved the way they place those long thin fingers around the belly like that too. I tried to capture the feeling I got when I saw the hands. Thanks.
TNTiki, thank you.this guy will be shipped regular mail. He's not too heavy, There are lots of shipping methods to get ont to you from anywhere.
I guess I'll say Nite nite now

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-29 05:07 ]

Well done, that and the others are really cool, makes me wish I had a bit more time at the mo' to get my chisels out!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:50 ]

B

TNTiki,
I'll PM you with the details.

WAHOOOO!!! Just got the finished Moari in the mail yesterday. Thanks Ben for the fine work. Pictures just dont do this artwork it's justice!

tbird.

[ Edited by: tiki bird on 2004-06-29 15:00 ]

B

Thanks for letting me know Tiki Bird. I'm glad you like it. I know, pictures, no matter good, never show the total piece.Thanks again.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:50 ]

Tops, Ben. Great stuff as always.

B

Here is the final on the 12" Moai. He has now 6 coats of lacquer sprayed on with sanding between each coat.

And heres a little surprise. The Wahine brought home a Bamboo pole, 3" to 5" in diam, that had died. The company Imported several from Hawaii to grow for resale. this one was still fairly fresh abnd easy to carve on a limited basis. The other is a Maple Maori I have been working on for a while

Those mugs are awesome. God bless your wahine for supporting your art.

B

Thanks Reffertiki, I'm not sure how they will dry out though. Since the Bamboo was fresh and wet when I carved it, Im' not sure how fast it will dry out and wheather or not it will split wide open. After a couple of days, they are already becoming deformed. Time will tell.

D

shrinky dink tikis! maybe this is an easier method to make Shrunken Heads!

those are very nice mugs. keep the pictures coming!

would it have helped to dry the bamboo in a controlled fashion? do you have a food dehydrator?

elicia

B

It would help with the wood stability, But then you would have cured, dried HARD, Uncarvable Bamboo, so the choice is simple ..Carve it while you can otherwise it's just another plain old bamboo pole.
I have more shrunken heads coming.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-07-04 19:02 ]

Ben- This new stuff is FINE! Love those mugs!

http://www.samgambino.com

Ben that Moai and those mugs...awesome awesome awesome. Did I metion that I think they're awesome? Thanks for posting...I'm always inspired by your work

B

Thanx Polynesiac, you make me blush.

Ben, have you tried carving multiple faces into the bamboo? Make the bamboo cup a 3- or 4-faced cup to spread the stress around the piece of bamboo while it's drying out.

B

Thanks FF, that sounds like a good, logical idea. No, I had not thought of it but the next one will be a multiple

M

I can't get over that 12" moai Benzart. You've definitely brought your own style to the piece, and the expressive quality of the face and hands is most excellent. His inscrutable gaze connects him firmly to the proud Moai carving tradition.

B

Thanks Makemake, I'm honored by your words.
Here are a few I finished up that have been hanging around for awhile. Hopefully they ar going to Hukilau.

This guy looks like Ivory for some reason. It is Cherry with a light mahogany stain.

Well thats all for now. Enjoy
here is the last one. The same Macasser Ebony (I think) thai I made the Small Moai # 27.

Now to finish a few Shrunken Heads and a Gecko piece.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-07-11 19:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies